Masters Running

Wednesday March 26 Runs (Read 634 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Looks like I’m the first one to check in, so I’ll start us out. 6 recovery-paced miles (ave 10:33) for me today in a quite pleasant 40 degrees. Oddly, it seemed like I was finally getting warmed up when it was time to stop. Our buyers are having their last inspection today, the whole house inspection, so I better tidy up before I leave for work…. Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

That's the perfect way to run recoverys Holly. Once you start feeling like you're running, stop. Today was a biggie on dtoce's "Kyll Byll" training plan. 14 miles with 8x5 minutes moderate+ pace with 2 mins. between. I took that "moderate+ pace" to mean slightly faster than tempo (7:44 to 8:00 is tempo for me). The 5 minute Repeats were run at 7:35, 7:32: 7:39, 7:38, 7:37, 7:41, 7:42, and 7:41 paces - right around 2/3 of a mile for each repeat. 14 miles altogether in 2:03 (8:49). I survived. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good Morning Holly! From surf to snow for me today here in Portsmouth, NH....no Holly or Skip to meet in the wee hours and I almost rolled back over....groan, moan, but no!...out the door of the hotel at 5 AM for 10 miles in 1:21 and change (8:08 pace or so). 34 degrees, partly cloudy and snow here and there---not much, but a definite contrast from yesterday morning chasing sand pipers. I threw in some speed play here and there to wake things up (and after reading yesterday's thread). Nothing fancy, but pace changes and hill charging throughout. Home tonight and not on a plane again until April 2. Fingers crossed on that home inspection Holly Good day to all CNYrunner P.S. Hi Bill! Sweet workout, you more than survived!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning! Holly...Now those were Magical Healing Miles! Intervals today. Did them with the Garmin during a 10.2 mile route s they were all over due to terrain, turnarounds and Garmin accuracy. But the efforts were solid. 10.2 mi in 1:23:12 (8:08 pace, AHR 155), including 4 x 0.75 mi with 2 min jog intervals. The speed part averaged 7:06 (6:54, 7:10, 7:07, 7:12). Felt great after for 4 mi cooldown at MP. Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thanks for starting us off with such a great recovery run Holly! Brinkley and I kicked it up a notch this morning and ran 5 miles at 9:45 pace. All of our miles were fairly even paced - so that is a good sign. I am quite sure that Brinkley will be going to bed early this evening. 300 crunches, 25 push ups and 12 pull ups - using the treadmill in a new way. Learned it on Biggest Loser. Wink TTFN! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for starting us off this morning Holly....hope all works out with your house sale Smile I know it's been trying for you and your family. I need to try a recovery run like yours tonight. Wow, very nice paces Bill....I will need to try the recovery plan...I tend to over do it on even on recovery days. Nice 10 miler CNY , your an awesome runner. Since I love to run in the evening, I can't imagine 10 mile at 5:00 am. Seems 10 miles seems to be the theme this moring....good job Perch Smile You always have Some impressive paces. Nice run with Brinkley Mary...that must be one in shape doggie, along with the owner Smile Well, I tried what many suggested last night with adding some speed work to try and get out of my running funk. I really didn't decide what I would do till I started my run. My plan ended up warming up for 1 mile, then do a progression tempo run for 5 miles, with the 5 th as hard as I can run, then easier 4 miles back home. Stats: 10 miles - 1:18:25 - 7:51 pace - 156 HR ave - 170 HR max 1 mile warm up Mile 2 - 8:00 pace Mile 3 - 7:30 pace Mile 4 - 6:30 pace Mile 5 - 5:55 pace which I sprinted as hard as I ever had for 1 mile....I really don't remember ever running that fast of a pace before Smile When I stopped after mile 5 to recover for a few minutes, I was probably more winded than I have been in a long time. Between mile 3 and 5 my mind and legs were having a great debate on slowing down or cutting the tempo short, but I was determined to finish what I planned. I have to admit while hard, it did seem to wake my legs up, but I guess I will see in the next couple of days. I do think I have been in a rut just running the same way all the time, as I need to mix it up because races start in a few weeks. Kinda chatty this morning because I am still kinda on a high...and I slept like a baby last night. Have a wonderful day and runs Master / Boomer's Smile Smile Tim Edited to add....first time running in shorts since last fall...felt funny with my albino looking legs Shocked

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Quick check in here -- I spent the morning processing pictures of the hawks which have made a nest outside my window at work, after my easy 8. More at http://www.pbase.com/lking/birds Workout: 7.2 miles, 8:28/mi, AHR 144 Overall: 8.2 miles, 1:10 Good runs!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

CNYRunner - we're attending a family wedding in Portsmouth in August. Presumably it will be more pleasant weather. Very nice run, Bill! 9 pretty easy miles in 1:29:40.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Good morning Boomers. Cross training day today. 5 miles on the eliptical in 40 minutes with some ab and leg work thrown in. Every morning, I'm inspired by Holly and Bill's runs. They're like the Energizer Bunny! CNY Runner - We didn't want you to get spoiled running in warm weather. Welcome back to reality! Good luck with your travel today. I'll be you're looking forward to being home for a while. Mary - Brinkley must be a happy boy this morning. Mom got him out for a little exercise! Tim - nice run this morning. It sounds like you've worked your way out of the "blahs". Nothing like a good night's sleep to pick up your spirits. I have a question to ask: I found out that there's a half marathon this Saturday that's relatively close to where I live. I haven't done one for a year, but I've been training for one this May. My long run is up to 10.5 miles. Do you think running this half on Saturday is a good or bad idea? I know I haven't done the right things the week before (taper, rest, etc. etc. etc). Run it or skip it? Thanks for any advice you could offer! Jeanne
                      Nice early morning runs to you all.... Nice pics, Lou.
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

Cool hawk pics! Dog and I ran a decent 4 mi this morning...very erratic pace as she was apparently feeling all spring-feverish: sniff here, chase that. She actually chased a Skittle down the boardwalk for .2 that was pushed along by the wind. Roll eyes My left leg was a little funky still this morning, but not in a "oh I'm getting injured" way...so I think the kinks will be worked out by Sunday. I'm also going to see my massage therapist for a way overdue session later today. Good runs to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

SteveP

We're pulling for you Holly....Move them legs and move that house!!! You people with your 10+ mile runs before sunrise!!! Reading your work outs made me tired. Bless the Brinkley Miles!!! I had a interview yesterday. Good company with room to grow. The interview went well. Still no runs. As soon as I feel smurfy, I'll wait a day before I run.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #3309

I have a question to ask: I found out that there's a half marathon this Saturday that's relatively close to where I live. I haven't done one for a year, but I've been training for one this May. My long run is up to 10.5 miles. Do you think running this half on Saturday is a good or bad idea? I know I haven't done the right things the week before (taper, rest, etc. etc. etc). Run it or skip it? Thanks for any advice you could offer! Jeanne
                            I say absolutley....just treat it like a long training run and have fun Smile You will still have plenty of time to rest and taper for your May race. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning, all! Holly - hope the last inspection goes smoothly. Lou - awesome photo of the hawks. Jeanne - go for it! You can always take it easy, not race it, and use it as a well-supported training run. Tim - congrats on the good night's sleep! Teresa and Vista - thanks for the Maine advice. Buck's was wonderful as were the LL Bean stores. We didn't even begin to have enough time to see what we wanted to see (we did find the Ben & Jerry's as we were leaving). We want to go back in the near future and try to make it up to Acadia as well. I've been fighting with this cold for the last several days. It won on Monday and kept me home from work. That may have been because I did 12.5 miles at MP on the trail Sunday. I should have known better, but it felt so good to not be on the treadmill.... 5 miles on the treadmill this morning. I was running late and took a different route for work this morning. It took me by the Thames River where I watched a submarine headed out to the Sound. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Just a quickie before I get back to work...... WRFB – that is such a cute couple! SteveP – glad the interview went well. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you (and I threw in a prayer, too – hope you don’t mind). Tim – you are FAST! Jlynne – what Tim said.... CNYrunner – enjoy your brief respite at home. Sue - hope your cold heals up quick.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."