Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 5.12.17 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s thumthing workouts:

RunnerKSA (5.1 puddled miles in Birmingham,MI)

Dave (morning gym workout)

Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles)

Holly (6 TM miles)

dg. (a morning walk and lots of PT stuff)

Fatozzig (2 miles and a smudge of walking)

Tet (5 morning miles with rain abatement)

Pfriese (8 muggy morning lake-circling miles)

Stumpy (3.1 lake miles in IRC)

Twocat (1 elliptical hour)

Quick trip, eh, RunnerKSA?

I didn’t know I had insomnia, Tramps. I thought it was just life.

Sounds like a nice night on the porch, Dave. How’d you do at the condo ass. meeting?

Travel well, Mike. Do you hate flying??

How nice of you to get DW a gekko for her 60th, Rochrunner! Congrats on negative splits and AG hardware in Omaha! Congrats to Leo too.

Welcome back, TW. Too bad about the vacation weather. I’m glad the wind didn’t change your brother.

Holly, wild turkeys are self-absorbed, and don’t care about anyone or anything else. If a car comes along when they are crossing the road, they are just a likely to stop and stare at it, or perhaps to peck at the tires.

Too bad you had to follow your brother in school, Fatozzig, and that his misdeeds rubbed off on you.

Yes, Tet, more runners than turkeys, unless you count the turkeys squawking from the tree tops.

Welcome back to Stumpy too.

I hope everybody’s racing and travel plans workout this weekend, especially on Sunday for those in New England. We're going to decide tonight whether to still hold our racewalking races scheduled for Sunday morning. The forecast is for a nor'easter with cool temps, downpours and high winds (20 mph, with gusts up to 40). It's a small race under the best of circumstances, and we've already had a cancelation, and someone else asking if we are going to just cancel or reschedule.

6.3 miles this morning under ominous skies that showed me a little moon when I got started, but then got all misty on my in the last mile or so.

Wishing good luck, good weather, fleet feet, and big grins to this weekend's racers:

05/13 TammyinGP - Tough As Nails 5K, Medford, OR

05/13 spinach - Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon, St Joseph MN

05/13 Mike E - Shiprock Marathon, Shiprock, NM

05/13 stumpy77 - Maine coast 1/2 Marathon Kennebunk, ME

05/14 evanflein - Murphy Dome Roam (tentative)

05/14 Henrun - Sea Dogs 5K, Porland ME

05/14 mrrun - Sea Dogs 5K, Portland ME

Meanwhile, have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Quick trip-  tiring!

2 treadmill miles before work- pressed for time.  This will be it for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Sounds like a nice night on the porch, Dave. How’d you do at the condo ass. meeting?

The condo meeting is next month.  I blame my wife for putting the condo papers on the kitchen table. I saw them there and saw, "Thursday at 6:00" and didn't see the date said June 8th.  Why would you get the papers out 4 weeks in advance?  (Or maybe we just had them delivered and she dumped them on the table.)   Oh well, it was a good excuse not to drive into the office which I can use again soon.

5.06 (tired) miles this morning.  Some type of rodeo going on this weekend at the park (Barboursville Buckle Series) .  Signs are up and big tents too.  I know a guy at work who rides bulls professionally.  I need to ask him if he is taking part in this thing.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

We stayed overnight at a roadside motel someplace in the middle of Colorado.  I was tired and ready to get out of the car but there wasn't anyplace to stay for miles.  We finally came to this place with a restaurant right next to it that had a big sign that read, "Chicken and Pasta".  Perfect!  And, when we checked in, the lady gave us a  10% discount.  Even more perfect.  So, we put our stuff in our room and walked to the restaurant to enjoy a nice pasta--carbo loading--dinner.  We go to open the door and it was lacked.  We looked around, saw another door, tried it, and it was locked as well.    There was a sign right next to the door that read, "Open at 5:00 Everyday".  I looked at my watch.  It was 6:30 so I called them.  A guy answered and I asked if they were open.  He said, "We were open but now we're closed!"  I said, "But your sign says that you open at 5:00...it's 6:30...you're already closed?"  He said, "We were open but now we're closed!"  Before I could say anything else he said, "Next time call at 3:00 instead of 8:00!" Then he hung up.  We just stood there...looking at the sign...looking at my watch...the sign said open at 5, my watch said it was 6:30...we just stood there and laughed, it was like a Candid Camera episode.  So, I ended up microwaving a frozen spaghetti dinner we bought at a grocery store.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good luck tomorrow, Mike.  Hope the race is better than your dinners.

+ that you have decent weather for your race

we're making a decision Saturday morning - we have until 6 to cancel our hotel.   We want to get away, so that's why we're waffling - otherwise we have to wait until first w/e in June for a vacation trip.

At this point, I'm sure that I'm heading back north after my race, but will base staying overnight on weather and other factors.  So text me when you decide and we can pick a spot if you and Henry make it up.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Thanks for the comments yesterday, all. Leslie - maybe he's a Kiwi?

Sorry about the "vacation" TW. We've had a couple like that and only hope that time makes the bad parts fade.

Amazing how being away for just a week makes me feel so busy and set back when I get home. I'm a person who likes to have somewhat of a regular routine, but it's especially hectic here since on Monday the workers will arrive to start the "demolition" of the main floor "powder room" that we're finally remodeling 33 years after moving in here!

Did an easy 4-mile run from home this morning. Beautiful day with even better weather forecast for next week.

Hoping for blue skies and sproinky runs wherever you are!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

wow Mike. I hope the hotel stay was a bit more welcoming than the restaurant. 

ran 4 miles after work with a friend. kinda chilly with some mizzle here and there. quite the change from upper 80's just 48 hrs prior.

Tomorrow's race will at least be in cooler temps which will be nice since the past years when I've run this, it's been so warm. There is a 5K and a 10 miler and I have until 11:59 a.m. to decide if I want to switch and do the 10 miler, which I've never done before, because well the race is called Tough As Nails for a reason. The 5K is not bad. I ran it last year in 30:59. It's a trail race with some climbing, so was happy with that time. But the 10 miler is pretty tough, or so I hear. But because I want the miles and don't want to feel compelled to get in a long run on Sunday if I don't want to, I think I should just suck it up and get in my 10 tomorrow.

Tammy

Tramps

I woke at 3 this morning, failed miserably at getting back to sleep,

Maybe a little insomnia? (Hope the weather moderates for your race.)

Doug--nice race and great pics!  Congrats.  GEICO is a very big local employer and they're a sponsor at some local races.  I got a decent GEICO running hat at one of them. Fun fact: GEICO stands for "Government Employee Insurance Company"--their original focus.  Another fun fact: Kelsey Grammer (aka "Frasier Crane" from Cheers) was the original Gecko voice. A third fun fact: the GEICO Gecko (and other ads) was created by the Martin Agency, a relatively small ad agency in Richmond, VA, which grew dramatically after the success of the GEICO account and hired a couple of my former students.   Okay, I'm out of fun facts.  (I should get some $ for this product placement.)

Thank goodness TW is back. I need my daily fix of Tom humor.  "Crazy brother in Idaho"...?  Is there prepper survivalism involved? Fallout shelter?

Leslie--that's funny about your brother.

Mike--You do know about time zones, right?  (Good luck tomorrow!!!)

Stumpy--Bucks County: wedged between Philly, Trenton, and Allentown. That's god's country, right?

TiriBee has a tri tomorrow and she's fretting about the nasty weather forecast. I pointed out the obvious: "You've got a wetsuit, what are you worried about?"  Didn't seem to help.

A friend of mine sent a link to hockey playoff droughts, advising me to "keep it in perspective."  Oddly, it helped. (Dave may not want to look at that, though.)

Good luck to all the racers!

Oops, almost forgot: 10 EZ miles this morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 sweaty lunchtime miles.

Good pace for the conditions though, must be time for another quality workout to trash my legs.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

...actually tramps

my brother TAUGHT Survival Courses in Colorado in -20 degrees on making ''Quincy Huts''

along with other Survival Skills

we both

Trapped and Fished and Hunted growing up

so

If The Zombie Apocalypse occurs I'm going back

=============

..but I digress......

weights

20-min X-Bike Standing

20-min on GreenWay

......sorta Easing back into it

..................Good Luck to mikeE and Good Running to the rest of ya.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

,,,,,,oh, ps,,,,,,,,

I DID make it half-way up

this 470-foot

loose-packed Sand Dune

before

my feet started sliding inside my shoes (DIDN'T have on my Boots.....drat.....)

and

I had to come off it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruneau_Dunes_State_Park

http://imnh.isu.edu/digitalatlas/geog/parks/bruneau/bruneau.htm

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike - Had you entered another time zone from what your watch read?  If not - weird.

Jay - The weather conditions don't sound too appetizing.

I am suffering the consequences of my actions the last 4 days, so no workout for me this morning.  I did, however, receive my new Wondergel Seat Cushion today (I found out about it in the health and nutrition forum).  I've been sitting on it about an hour and it's quite possible that I am in love.  Time will tell, but so far it's much better than the inflatable donut.

My quest to sit comfortably includes an issue I have with pants - any pants - and the angle at which I sit in my chair at work.  Skirts and dresses (of which I don't have many) work better, and I won't get into any more clarification than that.  I mentioned something about my pending cortisone shot last night as I was trying to figure out what to wear to work today that would be appropriate.  The Hub gently told me this morning to not pin all my hopes on the shot in case it doesn't work.  *sigh*  I hope he's wrong.

Enjoy the rest of you Friday, folks, have a safe and happy weekend, and good luck to all our racers and RDs ~~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tammy - don't forget you don't like 5K

so, of course, 10-miles, for sure tomorrow. Have fun.

TiriBee has a tri tomorrow and she's fretting about the nasty weather forecast. I pointed out the obvious: "You've got a wetsuit, what are you worried about?"  Didn't seem to help.

tramps - I’m pretty much with tribee for good weather tris but nothing like training through foul weather too to give a competitive advantage over the fair weather crowd. Heck, I could probably beat 2cat on a good, rainy day out here.
                            ps - in addition to insurance, they had a discount store in Seattle called "gov-mart" in those days.

Leslie - I thought the time zone might be different too but I think it's just Mike that's different. 

five cloudy miles with occasional bursts of sun through the increasing cloud cover portending heavy rain and thunderstorms predicted for this afternoon. We’ll see.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Yep...I reset my watch while on the plane.  I still don't get it.

We drove 45 minutes from the host hotel to the marathon finish line/packet pick up.  We are not allowed to drive directly to the start and they discouraged Debbie from trying to find me on the course. I'm not liking this already.  We're back in the hotel and

will not be driving back for the pasta feed...even though I paid for it with my registration.

Geez...I'm already complaining and haven't even run the race.  On the plus side--this hotel is fantastic and the hotel staff have been excellent.  See?  I'm not all negative,

Okay--gotta go.  We're heading to Olive Garden.  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - what race are you running!

Stressful day re: work and grumpy family stuff after, so I am not good company right now. Therefore, I will take my leave...

No run for me today, just 40 minutes or so of weights and core.  My side/flank muscle seems to have healed up nicely - whew!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."