Masters Running

Light at the End of the Tunnel & RAfamily party (Read 79 times)

Mariposai

...IF I get there...did you know I have two airplanes I have to get on to get there?  That's two takeoffs and two landings!  That's two weeks from today!  That's a lot of twos...

MikeE, you crack me up!

Rassmussenmp will be at the Light!!! Hurray!!! (Please tell your lovely DW that I can't wait to see her again!) I always enjoy hanging out with her.

Poor WildChild, she is going to have a handful during her last two takeoffs and landings Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet, if Dave can not use the extra entry, I would be game for it.  Let me know.

Mike - shouldn't be any problem but, if it is,

just take off your shoes and pick up barefoot jon's bib at the start.

<<<(and I thought my sub-4hr days were over)>>>

oh ps - don't put on your shoes until you get to the tunnel

or they might think something is suspicious.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Tet

<<<(and I thought my sub-4hr days were over)>>>

Jon, I ran the Boise marathon about 6 weeks ago and I barely made it under 4 hours.  Hopefully, we will have a chance to see.

Arigatou gozaimasu for trying to make this happen.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mike - should be getting a confirmation from the RD after the Fourth. I promised that you would run a strong sub-four, tunnel-or-not, bears-or-not, shoes-or-not, getting-lost-or-not, etc.

/

At yesterday’s lunch for a friend with an upcoming two-year assignment with the Peace Corps, recalling our two last-minute triathlons and two Tunnels and a Rock’n’Roll marathon together with even less training that mine, I was worried about his training for this year’s Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon family birthday celebration for his mother.  However, he assured me he’s hasn’t run much, if any, since last September’s triathlon and that he’s leaving town today to follow-up a friend’s holiday wedding in the Midwest with a week of cycling through the corn fields back there and won’t be geting back until the day-before the marathon so overtraining won't be a problem.  You can recognize him as wearing the exact same long-lasting Chaco sandals he’s worn in all our marathons and tri’s and loves so much he wears them on all three legs in the swim, bike and run. Have fun, David!
          ps mike - David loves running lightless through the tunnel and said he’ll lend you his light.  Me too

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Mike - should be getting a confirmation from the RD after the Fourth. I promised that you would run a strong sub-four, tunnel-or-not, bears-or-not, shoes-or-not, getting-lost-or-not, etc.

/

At yesterday’s lunch for a friend with an upcoming two-year assignment with the Peace Corps, recalling our two last-minute triathlons and two Tunnels and a Rock’n’Roll marathon together with even less training that mine, I was worried about his training for this year’s Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon family birthday celebration for his mother.  However, he assured me he’s hasn’t run much, if any, since last September’s triathlon and that he’s leaving town today to follow-up a friend’s holiday wedding in the Midwest with a week of cycling through the corn fields back there and won’t be geting back until the day-before the marathon so overtraining won't be a problem.  You can recognize him as wearing the exact same long-lasting Chaco sandals he’s worn in all our marathons and tri’s and loves so much he wears them on all three legs in the swim, bike and run. Have fun, David!
            ps mike - David loves running lightless through the tunnel and said he’ll lend you his light.  Me too

You had dinner with my son David? How wonderful. We are counting on him to pace the Easy Pacer in your absence!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Just got an email from the race director.  Looks like I'm in.  I won't have to start out barefooted.

Jon, I already have a head lamp,.  But, I too like to be in the dark....  I know you would rather be running than heading back to your second home, but, thank-you again for letting me take your place.  I'll never forget that first Imperial Palace Marathon I did, where you told me the wrong starting place and I ended up running with you about a mile and a half to the start.  Good thing you started early and saw me on your first lap.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mike - glad you'll be another RA Boomer in the mix.  I think i've got it straight now between the Sakurada-mon and Takebashi Gate starts.  I guess I didn't say anything about it at the time but, so I could run make it a little bit of a run with you, I probably didn't mention that when I ended up there too for the early start, I took a taxi the 1.55 miles to Takebashi.

ps - however, at least take your shoes off for me at the group photo of the birthday bash though.

Mari - just like I know you pretended you were tying your shoes to let me catch up at the Seattle MARathon and other ruses such as at Bellingham Bay, David had me smiling when he'd just about get out-of-sight and then stop to look at the scenery of the surrounding mountain he'd just climbed the weekend before, dehydration break or something and the timely be ready to run wen I got there.  However, the Easy Pacer might just love running the forested cuts along the Snoqualmie Rails-to-Trails so much that a pacer'd have a hard time keeping up.

I"ll miss your storytellikng but maybe you can do a Bridge over San Luis Rey/Rashomon perspective of everyone's impressions of their Tunnel Marathons.  I hope so.

Hi, tunnel runners.  I'm jealous.  My road name is Cave Runner, bestowed after I PRed in a 10K that was run entirely underground (old limestone mine in Kansas City they call the subtropolis).  I just stopped in to wish you luck and say that I will be feeling your pain since I have a marathon on Saturday.  I hope gravity helps you all achieve your goals.  Have a great party.

FO

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks FO!  Good luck on Saturday!

Walk-Jogger

Thanks FO!  Good luck on Saturday!

+1, Good luck at your race, FO

Sunday and the Tunnel race are getting closer by the minute for the rest of us, and I'm trying not to think too much about it ... Shocked

I just found out one of my younger coworkers who is about my speed and has run many other marathons decided to pull out of it due to a few lingering niggles from his last marathon in May - I was hoping to  to run with him for at least part ways.

My local running friends Doug and Sue have volunteered to work the aid station at mile 8 (Bandera)  - Doug is almost my age at 57 and ran the Tunnel race last year, in I believe it was 2:52.  I've never come close to staying with him in any race at any distance.

Retired &  Loving It

Thanks tet!  I feel so much better.

...they haven't told you about The Zombies yet........

oops. turned out they did

NEVER MIND

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

With so few people interested in a pre-dinner gathering I am thinking to not worry about the logistics for one. Each runner will be on their own.

We can have a post race party at the finish line. How does that sound?

I am planning to bring some bubbles, juices, post race munchies and a lot of fruits/cheeses, crackers.

I will also bring all the paper plates and napkins needed.

PFreese said that he may convince a relative to share his home-brew beer with us.

We can see how we are feeling post race for a dinner get-together somewhere. Is that OK with everyone?

I was skimming this thread to see what the plans were and this seems to sum it up.   Mike and I arrive on Saturday afternoon and leave on Tuesday morning, so we have all day Monday free to do whatever anyone recommends.  Is anyone else free on Monday?

Carolyn

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

The final week before the marathon. Here is the list of people who are running:

07/14 arf - Light -at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon (Trail run - North Bend WA)

07/14 wildchild - Light at the End of the Tunnel marathon, North Bend, WA

07/14 Mariposai -Light at the End of the Tunnel, WA

07/14 Mike E - Light at the End of the Tunnel marathon, North Bend, WA

07/14 pfriese - Light at the End of the Tunnel marathon, North Bend, WA

07/14 The Easy Pacer - Light at the End of the Tunnel marathon, North Bend, WA

07/14 PosieSon David - Light at the End of the Tunnel marathon, North Bend, WA

07/14 PosieSon Daniel - Light at the End of the Tunnel marathon, North Bend, WA

07/14 Cecil58- Light at the End of the Tunnel marathon, North Bend, WA

07/14 Rusmussenmp - Light at the End of the Tunnel marathon, North Bend, WA

Lynden runner and Tetsujin will not be able to run the race. We will miss you both!

This is the Posie Family plan: we will drive to Seattle on Sat. We will stay with our son in downtown Seatte.

Day of the race: the Easy Pacer and son David will be starting with the early start group at 7am.

PosieSon Daniel and my Wings will be helping at the bib pick up table. How will you know me? By my butterfly wings, of course!

After the race we plan to hang out at the finish line.

At the finish line: The Posie family will have a cooler full of fruits, bubbles and juices. If you  have a favorite post marathon food or drink, please let me know asap so I can have it waiting for you. How will find us? Look for the butterflies, of course Smile.

We are free to hang out after the marathon. With so many people out of town it would be fun to do something together. We will be open for anything.

Monday: we will be in Seattle until early afternoon and we will be free for a short hike, sight seeing or a good brunch. I guess we can plan what we cant to do at the post race meet-up.

See you all at the starting line!

usandtoto-2@msn.com

I just sent my entry form to the RD, so I'm good to go.

Sue and I will be staying Saturday night in Bellevue and would love to have a meet up for dinner with anyone so inclined.  I will be bringing a couple of growlers filled with golden liquid made from water, hops and grain from a location microbrewery that was just voted "Best in the Northwest" for the post race recovery/party.  Ohh and some cups too.

Maniac 505

I so wish I could play.

I just found out,  this week I will be working the day shift (6:00 to 6:00) on the Washington State Ferry Puyallup.  I will start the week on the Seattle to Bainbridge run (downtown Seattle for a 20 minute harbor tour/crossing).  If anyone is interested in an engine room tour on a 220 car,  2500 passenger ferry let me know and I will see if we can work something out.

Some time around the weekend this boat will be moving north but my best guess is Sunday night.

for anyone looking for something to do, I heartily recommend the underground tour starting in pioneer square (if you can still walk)  and the Chihuly garden and glass under the space noodle is worth a visit.

Dave