Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 1.6.18 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday’s workouts:
    Tramps (5 moonlit miles in 9° temps and 1”+ of snow)
    RunnerKSA (2.6 morning miles in 17° + 2 post-work TM miles)
    Jlynne (6 TM miles at the gym + 15 min of exercises with a medicine ball)
    Dave59 (3.5 TM miles, including 5 X .25s)
    Tomwhite (50 min HH with hills and socks)
    Holly (5 cold TM miles + 30 min of weights & core)
    C-R (4 lunchtime miles in 3° sunny weather)
    Pfriese (6 EZ afternoon miles to the park & back)
    Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)
    Falconfixer (8.5 miles at 9min pace, looking out for black ice)
    Surly Bill (5 miles, kids pick-up, 4.3 more miles)
    Evanflein (4.5 cold-faced afternoon miles in 5° temps)
    Analogkid (5 EZ miles + planks)
    Spacityrunner 1.75 miles in 48°, better than yesterday)
    Deeze (5.1 pre-Cape TM miles)
    Tammy ( 3.3 quick & EZ nighttime miles)
    Mariposai (1 afternoon walking mile with no barking knee)

My favorite line yesterday, from Tramps, compared runners to frozen iguanas:  “I think the same applies to runners:  Not necessarily dead; just thaw them out.”

Sounds like we may have to get Netflix.

Good score on the car for DS, Holly.

So, management isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, eh? That’s why you get the big bucks (or not), isn’t it?

Surly Bill, if it’s OK with you, I much prefer my chill and snow to raging fires and earthquakes.

Good of you and DH to spend time with his Mom and sister, Deeze.

I’m sorry you have to waste spend your weekend on the budget resubmission, Mariposai.

Yeah, I had to clear some of the driveway again yesterday morning and, of course, the auger on my snowblower decided overnight to stop working (even though it was fine when I put it away Thursday evening). So I got to shovel some drifts and what the street plows deposited at the end of our driveway. I had told our neighbor (who is basking in FL) that I’d clear the walk to his house, thinking the snowblower could handle that easily. But nooo - I got to shovel that too. Oh yeah - the walks to our two entrances at the office weren’t cleared either, so guess what I got to do more of? Uh huh. According to my phone, I got in a mile's worth of shoveling cross-training.

No, I have no interest in heading out this morning on slick roads in 2° temps and -15 WC. The high temp today is supposed to be 7, with 20-25 mph winds. So we’re taking our niece to spend some quality indoor time at the Peabody-Essex Museum in Salem. MA. It’s a great small museum, and we’re looking forward to it.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

It is 15o below with no wind chill, here, this morning.  I'm supposed to do a long run...but my doctor said no running until Monday...oh, dang...

It's supposed to be cold, today, then it's warming up...38o by Wednesday!  I just might have to run in shorts.

Okay--that's it from me.  See ya!!

bioguy

Hi Jay

Woke to no water, but I left some taps open and soon we got the flow back. I suppose I should get into the crawl space and look for a leaking pipe in case one burst, but the crawl pace is usually somewhat warm. I physically built our home myself (no prior construction experience, just a lot of reading books and watching video) 25 years ago and I didn't do a great job with ductwork so it is a little warm under teh house.

Like to run today, but it is really cold; might pay a guest fee at the town athletic club to run on a treadmill, but I have a feeling I'll just layer up.

There is a race in Wilmington Delaware I had thought about running, the Icicle 10 Miler, but they have shortened it to a 10K and are still trying to make sure the roads are safe to run on.

Post later after I get out; meanwhile, more student work to grade.

Tailwinds!

Tramps

Ooh, I got line of the day from Jay! Cool.

Speaking of cool, how can we be just one degree warmer than Jay in NH?  (3F here) Even colder tonight but then heading to 60F--yes, 60F--by Friday. 

Mike--Brrrrrrr.

bioguy--That's great that you built your house. Too bad about pipes in crawl space, though.  We sealed our crawl because of condensation issues with the AC ducts and that had the unintended benefit of keeping things a bit warmer during cold snaps.  No problems with pipes yet. [knocks on wood]

Erika--wow, that's really interesting about your internet.  So we are talking about landlines, right? I didn't know there were still caps on those anywhere. Wireless plans often have data caps (you pay more for unlimited) but service via DSL (phone lines), cable, or fiber optics don't.  I suppose it's a different market up north. Forget streaming for fun, I can't imagine getting work done on those limits.

Mariposai--glad the knee felt a little better.  Hang in there with the budget re-do!

Management? Bleh. The only thing I've managed is to avoid being a manager...or being managed by one.

Strength and stretch work today.

Stay warm.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

I physically built our home myself (no prior construction experience, just a lot of reading books and watching video) 25 years ago

Wow!  That's impressive!

Erika - I have never heard of a Wi-Fi limit.  Seems like you can get Wi-Fi almost anywhere here for free - Starbucks, McDonald's, I think there is even a Downtown Dayton Wi-Fi so people can eat lunch out on the plaza and use it when the weather is nice.  At home we are currently paying $32/month for internet, although with 5 smartphones and Uverse, our total bill is just about $400/month.

Mike - 24 stitches?  Where on your head?

-5 here this morning.  This cold just grinds me down and sucks my motivation right out.  I've been sipping coffee on the sofa, watching Dream Cruises and contemplating a workout, but frankly, I've got a serious case of The Lazies.  I think I will take an URD.  Back at it tomorrow.

Hats off to those of you who are braving the cold to run outside - you are made of sterner stuff than I!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning folks. It looks like we're all dealing with cold, crappy weather these days. Jay, you get high marks for shoveling your neighbor's yard who chooses to be in Florida right now. But from the looks of the national weather map, it's not much better down there either.

Sounds like a day off is in order Mike. You really want to give those stitches a chance to heal. And I'm not so sure that salty sweat would feel good on that spot, assuming it would warm up enough for you to sweat!

Great luck on the new car for your DS Holly. Good luck selling his old one.

-8 again this morning. I don't even bother looking at the wind chill factor any more. It's just damn cold.  5.9 miles on the Y treadmill this morning. Why not get the whole 6 you ask? Because I'm treadmilled out. 20 minutes of leg and core work after that.  DH went for his physical this past Wednesday. His blood work showed he was pre-diabetic and the doc told him he needed to lose some weight. So when he got home, guess what he told me? "WE need to go on a diet." Guess I'll be in on the wailing and gnashing of teeth with him.

We went to see "Darkest Hour" yesterday. I can see an award or two for Gary Oldman. Great movie. And probably not a person under the age of 60 in the movie theater

Hope it's going to warm up soon...

Mike E

MM #5615

Mike - 24 stitches?  Where on your head?

Image may contain: one or more people and closeup

After the doctor left, I asked the nurse how many stitches were put in.  She said that they don't really ever count stitches...but after, a couple minutes she told me they put 10 to 12 underneath and 10 to 12 on the outside.  Of course, I went with 24 for the dramatic affect.

I think I need a haircut...

There is no way I am braving these temperatures outside. Ran 7.5 on the treadmill. Say the fall finale of Gotham. Bruce Wayne is on a bender. I wonder how they are going to get him off. He still has to become batman at some point!

Mike E if your wound heals as fast as you run you will be 100% in no time.

coastwalker good job with the cross training. Next snow storm can I get you to do some of that training in my drive and walk ways? 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

pfriese

Morning all.

Nice morning (27& no wind!) for an 8 mile run on the river trails with the west-side running group.

Have a great weekend.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike E if your wound heals as fast as you run you will be 100% in no time.

+1

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Misplaced runner...

14.2 miles at East End Park (EEP, Kingwood, TX).  Just me, the bunnies, the deer, and 35 degree clear/calm weather.  Supposed to be in the low 60s today and low 70s tomorrow with a touch of humidity before the next cold front moves through.  Off to test drive a couple of new or certified used Hyundai Tucsons.  Time to shuffle my 10 year old Accent down to my daughter.

Current focus: Texas Med Run 10k (2/3/18) and Bayou City Classic 10k (3/17/18).

mrrun

No running for us - the roads and sidewalks are too slippy.  we ran a bunch of errands and will walk some more as soon as my lentil and lemon soup is finished.  last night met a friend hadn't seen in 15 years for dinner followed by Beethoven & Mozart concert.  it was casual fridays so the BSO gave us free drinks.  unfortunately we had one at dinner, so two in less than an hour was overkill!

tomorrow our kids and families descend for Hanukkah (can't do anything right) so probably no running until monday when we're out of the single digits.

mike - heal quickly and those of you in warm climes (>25) run some miles for the single digit folks!  holly - you're body is probably happy for an urd.

marj

evanflein

Wow on the stitches, Mike. That's a big area they cut out. Hope it's all better now and glad it was "just" a BCC and not something worse.

Jlynne, you're allowed some cheat days.  Just be discreet.

Our internet does suck. I think we're one of the last places in the country with data caps. And that is cable to the house, wireless here with our own router. That does NOT include landline phone or cable TV or wireless phones. The phones are on DH's business package. As for work and businesses, yes they have unlimited. So DH does big downloads and software updates at his office. I have super fast internet at the University so I do my heavy download stuff there. We exceed our 50 GB cap just doing stuff like this, some YouTube visits, streaming the local NPR station (we don't have radios), Facebook, etc. We don't stream movies for obvious reasons. What gets me is that if they'd just offer a 100GB plan for $10 more, I'd take it. But almost 50% more for 250 GB (most of which I wouldn't use) is a non-starter for me. I'm too cheap.

Re: Management: I don't like it. I haven't liked it for years. Can't wait to retire. I'm in "hang on" mode and not happy about that either. And of all the managers in our office, I'm paid the least (cuz hey, I only supervise one person). Yeah, not for me.

Running: it's been a good week, with having Tuesday off and the temps haven't been bad at all (certainly not for Fairbanks in January!), and I'm already up to 30 miles. Today I'll get out but not sure where or when. Might just want to run around here, which means hills but I don't have to travel anywhere to do it.

catwhoorg

Labrat

11 on the TM for me.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mike- heal up.  That looks painful to me.

Got out around  11 am and 22 degrees/sunny for 7.1 miles.  Drove over to the path to get some flatness for a change and some tree shelter.  The slight wind from the north is not pleasant.   Made it over 40km for the Lulu/Strava challenge.  My goal is the top level of 80 km, which I should be able to hit as long as where I'm staying in California is run-able.

My age group award from the October 1 Twin Cities Marathon came today.  I don't mind the lateness, but I didn't get a response from anyone connected with the race as to whether they had age group awards and whether they would be sent.  There was nothing on the website, either.  Well- it's here!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth