Masters Running

Thursday 5/19/22 Runs and Other Assorted Mischief (Read 41 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks.

DH and I are going to Bike Night right after work, so I spent most of my before-work time doing laundry and loading the dishwasher.   I only had time for some stability ball crunches, planks, and squats.

Enjoy the day!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Wish I was going to Vermont to watch Mike run.

I ran 5.3 this morning. Just looping around and around the neighborhood.

I am running these days in :

- Brooks Ghost 14 - 12mm drop

- Brooks Glycerin 19 - 10mm drop

- Hoka Clifton 8 - 5mm drop

I don't notice any difference.

I'd like to point out a couple things.  There are 25.4 millimeters in an inch. The difference between the Ghost and Clifton is 7mm or .275 inches. That is imperceptible to me. I probably could also not feel a pea under my mattress. 

Secondly, when thinking about how people ran barefoot for thousands of years, remember that the lifespan was half of what it is now. Just because people used to do something doesn't mean it is always the best way. 

Thanks for kicking us off, Holly.  Enjoy bike night.   Dave- I'm with you.  The differences in some of these drops is not noticeable.  Zero one can notice, but I didn't think the adjustment was hard.  I vary mine, too.   Remember the negative heel Earth shoes back in some of our teen days?

4.7 struggling miles for me this morning.  It was very humid and 70 plus.  I had to take some walking breaks.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - happy busy work day again, especially with someone who seems to appreciate you. Enjoy.  I always felt sorry for people who just sat around at desks pretending to work while waiting for retirement. Besides, you'll have plenty of time when you retire to sit around twiddling your thumbs with nothing to do. Smile

Just because people used to do something doesn't mean it is always the best way. 

Dave - except for things to do that have nothing to do with being best but are more for having fun and making them interesting, as well as Murray's "profound," and, in the case of running, fitness benefits.

KSA - are you on the beach yet?

Ever since a huge cottonwood branch snapped and fell right next to me whooshing by like a close-passing car in a rainy windy day October 12-hour I like, I've avoided the trails during strong wind storms so thought I was okay when the strong winds with gusts up to 40mph that followed the morning's heavy rains to go up to the hillside trails in the sunshine that followed probably with trails strewn with fresh fallen green leaves but, after the upper part of a planned figure eight, there was a cracking crashing sound about 50' behind me that would have been a 12"diameter branch right on top of my head if I'd've been even slower than I am so, from now on, I'll be even more careful. It was much safer and uneventful this morning. Whew.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

That is why you should always wear a helmet when running, tet!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

That is why you should always wear a helmet when running, tet!

Mike - actually, for someone like me who relishes challenging the elements the worse they become, that's a very good idea I should have thought of. Thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

long day yesterday. work. board meeting, then DH and I went to pick up the Corvette from where it was getting detailed/ceramic coated. oh man, what a difference! He took meticulous care of it anyways so it was in great shape for a 1991. but our friends were OCD on touching up all the itty bitty rock chips on the nose of the case, some minor surface scratching, etc. The buffing, polishing and ceramic coating makes the red color even more vibrant than before and it absolutely shines like it just came off the showroom floor. And perfect timing because there is an article on our car coming out in Corvette Magazine and we have to submit photos for it, so now it's in perfect condition.

Will leave work about 3 today and get in a long-ish run - 9 or 10 miles I think.

Tammy

Thanks for the start, Holly.

Mike - You're gonna do great at the marathon.

Nothing for me today, and probably won't after work.  I got up at 4:00 with every intention of getting a solid bike workout in and then riding to work, but my body was telling me no.  I laid down on the couch and ended up going back to sleep for a solid 2 hours.  I think the bad sleep the last few nights and all my biking (stationary and real) caught up to me.

The ride home with The Hub yesterday - well, let's just say he doesn't signal well.  We ended up meandering all over the place before he took me by one of his properties so I could see what a great job he did on the hedge.   I ended up staying a fair distance behind him just so I wouldn't have to suddenly "turn left!" because he decided he wanted to go left.

Anyway, between a hard day of work and a 7+ mile bike ride, he bolted us both out of a deep sleep around 10:00 with a really bad inner thigh cramp.  So bad that I had to get my crutches (which are conveniently in the garage) for him so he could take a little weight off the leg while still trying to work out the cramp. He gets them pretty bad and always in the inner thigh, but this one was a doozy.

We also have a critter in the bulkhead of the wall in our kitchen.  I heard it scratching around in there last evening before I went to bed.  It had have gotten in there from under the house, but how it got under the house is a mystery since there are no apparent holes.  No clue how to get it out, so hopefully it dies and doesn't smell too bad.

I really enjoyed everyone's input yesterday about shoes.  And yes, we are all a science of one, so what works for one person isn't necessarily going to work for someone else.  And even though my MAT guy is gung ho about minimalist (although he did say that's not necessarily good for long distance trail running), I'm going to be very cautious about what I do.  The first thing I plan to do is get into something flat for every day/work use and see how that goes.  I'm going up to Portland next week for an extend visit with Karen and hopefully I can get to the Portland Running Company to try some shoes on.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Tammy, I'd love to see a pic of your car! I got mine ceramic coated last summer after it already got a couple of rock chips in it. He fixed a scratch on the trunk (I think it was there from the dealer) and a rock chip on the hood, but he said others were "too deep" or something like that. Anyway, the coating options were based on how long we wanted to keep the car. I said till it starts falling apart or someone takes my keys away. So we got the top level coating, but it still gets knicks and scratches so it's certainly not perfect. Getting the windshield coated was a great move though, as the rain beads up and rolls off like permanent "Rain-X" and little rocks bounce off it without making chips. I should qualify though that our roads are graveled in the winter, with sharp little rocks maybe 1/4" to 1/2" in size, for traction. Those rocks stick in tires and fly out to damage any vehicle behind or to the side. You'd think mud flaps would be required here, but they're not. Also, they told us to not use standard drive-thru car washes because those have dirt and grit in them and cause scratches and swirls even in coated cars. And never use wax! All sorts of rules.

Leslie, I got PF from running in Brooks Ghost shoes in the winter. The sole gets harder than any other shoe I've used in the winter and my feet paid the price. Six weeks before the AZ marathon, I was pool running and just got the PF cleared up before the race. Those Ghost shoes are now just for summer walking and yard work.

And the difference in heel drop may be very small, but it doesn't take much for me to notice. That and difference in cushioning. And weight. I used to run in Asics Nimbus, and now can't stand to even wear them in the yard. So yeah, there's a reason there are a gazillion different types of shoes out there!

Gorgeous day here today and we'll be in the mid-60's. My PT gave me a "return to running" handout for "when I'm ready," but I don't think that's now by a long shot. She'll be gone for 10 days and gave me some things to work on/toward while she's gone. Flying solo! I can do this...

TammyinGP

Erika, yes, they applied something to the windows also that is like the permanent RainX, I forget what it's called. 

These are a few pics DH took last week for the magazine article, but now that we've had it ceramic coated, he's going to take some new ones. But even these before pics show how well he took care of it. If you are on FB, Delicate Details is our friends' company and she just posted a few before and after pics that show up close the rock chips on the nose of the car and some scratches on the drivers side door that she took care of.   My car is going in for detailing and ceramic coating the end of June. That's how booked up they are getting!
                      May be an image of car and outdoors
                      May be an image of car and outdoors

Tammy

MurrayM

Tammy...would love to see your car drifting around corners on the local gravel logging roads 

11K...last hill repeats before tapering begins...took 5 seconds per Kilometre off my previous best time.

Trail Race Etiquette Questions

1) When passing someone, do you call out, "Passing on your left" or "Passing on your right" as you come up behind them?

2) On a side slope is it polite to pass on the uphill or downhill side, or would you take the 'sketchier' of the two options so the other runner doesn't feel like they are being forced onto rough ground?

2a) ...or...would you wait for a more convenient passing location?

Got any other suggestions, or things I should be aware of?

The car is gorgeous, Tammy!

Where are BTY and Sub 7?

Tet- we travel tomorrow.  It's a tough trip.  6 am flight Nashville to Charlotte and then Charlotte to St. Thomas and then ferry over to St. John. And there's the miles I want to do before the flight....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

Thanks Karen. 

uh, that would be hard No, Murray  Our driveway is about 1/4 mile long and it's gravel until you get to the end of it where it's a paved circular drive up by the house. He drives extremely slow on the gravel part!

eta: trail etiquette.  When I'm coming up behind someone on a trail, I just make an announcement when they are in earshot "coming up behind you" and let them choose what side of path they want to move over to. It never seems to fail that if I say "coming up on your left", then they move to the left. lol.  It's like people can't think fast enough to realize they need to move to the right, or which right to move to.  lol. 

Tammy

MurrayM

eta: trail etiquette.  When I'm coming up behind someone on a trail, I just make an announcement when they are in earshot "coming up behind you" and let them choose what side of path they want to move over to. It never seems to fail that if I say "coming up on your left", then they move to the left. lol.  It's like people can't think fast enough to realize they need to move to the right, or which right to move to.  lol. 

Thanks...that makes sense!

In all probability, it'll most likely be me moving to the side 

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Murray - I've never passed anyone but, when I get passed, I like it when there's a little clearing of their throat, clacking trekking poles together or something so the voice out of nowhere doesn't scare the wits out of me. Everyone around here says "pass on your left okay?" kind of like a question so I don't look like an idiot if I move myself left instead of to the right so there's more room to pass on my left and, if any, always wait for a safe place to pass but, if none, e.g. on a narrow trail, very steep or something, then "okay to pass?" gets me to step off the trail where there's a tree or something to hang on to. Hope you have more passings than passed in your upcoming Dirty Foot 30K.

How many runners of the is it a 300 cap are in the 30K or will you be running along with runners in the other distances too?