Masters Running

wed 12.14 (Read 30 times)

mrrun

While much of the country is in the deep freeze, we escaped to Charleston for two nights.  This morning I went out in shorts & t-shirt in a little mist, breaking rule, but knowing with the amount of food and drink i'm imbibing, running is a requirement!  I wanted to get to the waterfront that we had walked on yesterday, so took a longer route to get there and of course got completely lost.  The light mist turned into rain for a few minutes before back to mist.  I ran past awesome houses & asked several people who all told me to just keep going.  I eventually checked in on google maps and got back safely to take shower and have breakfast.  of course henry and i missed each other in hotel, but that also got resolved.

stay warm, have fun, and hit the roads!

marj

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Your timing might be off a bit if you're going to be back tomorrow--predicted 3° overnight into Friday.   Trying to decide if i want to bag a quick and dirty MMTD that morning.

I did 3.1 lake loop miles this morning at a hair above freezing.  Glad I moved from a thermal shirt to just two light ones.  I used the winter weight gloves and they were off about halfway through.  Apparently felt a little sproinky, as I had a 9:11 pace that didn't feel hard.  Also a new pair of Skechers to break in.  These are the Ultras--nice and cushy, but still light.  And light on the pocketbook--got two pairs for just under $100.  The others are a lighter weight, more minimal trainer.  May save them for the trip to LA coming up to visit DD for Christmas.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

7 degrees outside this morning, but not in my garage.  I ran on my old TM in the corner reading my Kindle.  Since we have always had the TV mounted on the shelf in the garage, I have never tried reading while running. It takes a little getting used to, but it's better than staring at the wall, and I can't move it back to the TV because the newer, broken TM is there.  Repairman is scheduled to come out on 12/23 to look at it.

8 miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly and Erika, yes, I was exempt and still paid overtime. They took our salary per month and back-calculated an "hourly rate" to use as a basis, and we did get time-and-a-half for normal overtime and double-time Sundays and holidays (and my department did a lot of that since we could only do major maintenance and upgrades when the plants weren't running). GM did this (don't know if they still do) due to the strong union presence and not wanting lower-echelon salaried people to think about "organizing." Whatever the union got in each contract -- such as better medical and dental benefits -- was always given to the salaried employees as well. GM didn't go bankrupt by accident...

Wow, this tax volunteering is going to be a lot more work than I thought. Classroom training alone consists of nine 6-hour sessions, and that is mostly just for learning how to use the software. On our own time, we are responsible for reading over a couple of very thick manuals regarding the tax rules themselves. And by Feb 1 when the program goes "live" for the clients, we have to pass a couple of tests to show proficiency in various areas. I've used TurboTax for my own taxes since it was a DOS program way back when, but of course a lot of the tax scenarios of aging adults on limited incomes never applied to me, so I do have a lot to learn. But it's certainly overwhelming at this point!

On top of that, the tour company for our anticipated trip to St Augustine in March just called to tell us the program was cancelled due to low enrollment, and now we're scrambling to find another program elsewhere, switch our flights, etc. So with all of this hitting me, I did ZERO for fitness today.

At least tomorrow is another day...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Howdy Do -

We're getting lots of rain.  Hwy 299, which is the main route east to I-5 is closed indefinitely due to a landslide.  Anybody needing to go east will now have to travel south about 3 hrs and then hook over across 20 to I-5..  Hopefully we don't get any landslides north or south of us.  If that happens, we're locked in.

The Salaried Issue - I don't know what the law is around it, but we have an attorney here who does employment law, so I am assuming the office isn't breaking the law in any manner.  I would assume you can't work someone over their regular 40 hrs without giving them some type of - - - crap, I lost the word!

Carolyn - Yes, I will be signing up for the Mt. Lakes 100.  Yikes!  I'm trying to worm my way into Mt. Hood 50 since it's half of the 100 course.  Mt. Hood 50 is a lottery, but my buddy, Karen, knows the RD really well and he basically owes her A LOT since she works almost all his races, so we'll see.

I'm still slogging away here at work.  We might be taking on more applications.  . . . . I think I'm going to drown my sorrows in chocolate.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I would assume you can't work someone over their regular 40 hrs without giving them some type of - - - crap, I lost the word!

Nope - not true.  Like my own place of employment, most salaried employees are not compensated for time over 40 hours, regardless of how many hours they work.  Restaurant managers, for instance, are often at the restaurant 10-12 hours/day, and their compensation is still the same.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

That seems like a recipe for abuse on the part of the employer.  Interesting.

And continuing in the vein of compensation, etc. . . . ..

The partner who has been overseeing all this just came to me and told me I was getting a bonus (pre-tax) of $5,000.   . . . . I started crying.  Not heavily, but there were/are tears.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

That seems like a recipe for abuse on the part of the employer.  

Bingo!

Congrats on the bonus - you deserve it!  Nice to see your boss appreciates you.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

The partner who has been overseeing all this just came to me and told me I was getting a bonus (pre-tax) of $5,000.   . . . . I started crying.  Not heavily, but there were/are tears.

Very cool!

When I worked at my old job, salaried employees were paid time and a half for anything over 40 hours.  It had to do with being classified as exempt or non-exempt.  I cam never remember which is which but, as a manager, I was the one that did not.  Now, I am required to work 45 hours a week and I still must be classified as the one that doesn't get it because I don't get paid overtime....yes, I am abused.

I ran 4 miles tonight.

Debbie just called me up for supper!  Gotta go!  See ya!

Weather here is not super duper awful right now. Tomorrow is a different story. The deep freeze hits us then and sticks around for a few days. Fortunately, it breaks via a big two day rainstorm this weekend just in time for my planned return to running.  My current plan is to just start up by running on the TM.

Holly S. speaking of TM, I hope yours is fixed fast and the cost of doing it is reasonable.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Hello everybody!

Very cool!

When I worked at my old job, salaried employees were paid time and a half for anything over 40 hours.  It had to do with being classified as exempt or non-exempt.  I cam never remember which is which but, as a manager, I was the one that did not.  Now, I am required to work 45 hours a week and I still must be classified as the one that doesn't get it because I don't get paid overtime....yes, I am abused.

This should change the overtime pay situation across the country...

The new rule requires that employers pay overtime to salaried workers earning less than $47,476 a year, or $913 per week. That's roughly double the existing annual threshold of $23,660. ... The rules will impact workers in a variety of fields.Nov 1, 2016.

So...unless you are making over $$47,476 a year, you should be getting overtime, no questions asked and your title has nothing to do about it.

Well, it is 16F, feels like 2 here. No running for me. Every breathing moment is being taken by my work to catch up. I have way too many year end reports that must be filed.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

This should change the overtime pay situation across the country...

The new rule requires that employers pay overtime to salaried workers earning less than $47,476 a year, or $913 per week. That's roughly double the existing annual threshold of $23,660. ... The rules will impact workers in a variety of fields.Nov 1, 2016.

So...unless you are making over $$47,476 a year, you should be getting overtime, no questions asked and your title has nothing to do about it.

Yeah, well except for the fact that a judge in Texas put a hold on that, and with the administration change coming in, it's not expected to go anywhere. So... no change coming.

And "exempt" basically means exempt from overtime. So you can be salaried, but if you get overtime you are not exempt.

Home tonight (Wednesday) and going to stay home for awhile. We had so much fun in NYC, and it's always so fun to hang out with HallyBarb. Yes, feels like family! Glad to be home though, and the cats are delighted. I think they missed us.

Marathon Maniac #957

Fortunately, it breaks via a big two day rainstorm this weekend just in time for my planned return to running.