Masters Running

I think I turned a corner on saturday. (Read 305 times)

TomD

To all of you wonderul friends that have sent me prayers, cards, phone calls, flowers and gifts and special thoughts.I am such a lucky person to have such an abundance of you walking this jouney with me. You all mean so very, very much to me. I don't know how I will ever thank you enough. I have to tell you I never dreamed for once in my life that I would be going through this. I was always the" healthy one". So you never know and please all of you take each day and treat it as though it was your last. Enjoy your life and love those that are so dear to you 2 legged and 4 legged.We have in our home 8 rescues(cats). I use to vounteer with a group rescue. They all have been so comforting to meand attentive.Tomorrow I go into the hospital as an outpatient to have a port put in my arm so I don't have to be stuck every time they want to draw my blood and when they give me chemo. I get so sick at the thought of needles it makes it twice as hard on me going through this kind of illness. I have always been so scared and just petrified at the thought of shots and up until now I have always been lucky in my life and never have had to have an IV and now I have had plenty. Too many and I have many more to come. Then after my morning we will find out about Tom's knee. I so hope it is something very simple and not permanent. Then on wednesday I have to pay a dentist appt for cleaning as it surprised me and I don't know the reason, but they want your mouth extra clean while you are undergoing chemo. but yet you are not allowed to have any dental work done during chemo.  Next week I have to go to the radiation doctor and consult with him and then I am sure we will start my 6 weeks of radiation and chemo. I am praying that I get to be the one in a million that doesn't get sick. If I am lucky enough for that, I hope to go back to work  part time that next week. I can remember many times saying " If I could just have some time off " and now I am saying I will be so glad to go back and be normal again.I have bent of your ears long enough, but you have no idea how important each and everyone of you are to me and I thank all of you for running beside me during this journey. You all are a very special part of my life.Will keep you posted.Love to all of you,Donna Detore
    evanflein

Thanks for the update, Donna. You do sound so much more upbeat, even with the challenges ahead. You and Tom are a special couple and you're fortunate to have each other to support and hold. Continued prayers for you that you keep moving forward as you go into the next stages of treatment. I hope you do get to go back to work at least a little bit, it'll help keep some sense of normalcy of your life within grasp. {{Donna and Tom}}
        So glad to hear you are doing a little better ......... are they putting in a port-a-cath or a picc line? either way - hope it goes smoothly and your recovery continues to be steady. I will keep you both in my prayers!! ((Donna and Tom))

denise

I am glad, but not surprised, to hear your good attitude come through in your post. Best of luck as you enter the next phase of your treatment. TomS
            Donna, thanks for checking in with us. I found that maintaining a sense of humour was one of the best tools in fighting back against cancer. TO that end, if you can find it, this is a short (85 minute) video about Julia Sweeney's own experiences with cancer. This was back in the '90s and she's still very much with us, so that's some extra good news on top of the laughs. http://www.amazon.com/God-Said-Ha-Julia-Sweeney/dp/B000089795/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_2_txt?pf_rd_p=304485601&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-2&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0553379232&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1CBTQX7QEGDQDKM0A7BY best, A
            Masters 2000 miles
            munchkn883

Donna, I have a port in my chest wall and wouldn't take a million dollars for it! Hopefully you will have a power port so it can be used for your scans. Unfortunately, power ports weren't being used when I got mine. Hope all goes well. My oncologist wanted me to go to the dentist before chemo...not a good idea to have dental work done while having chemo...at least that's what I was told. Also, you might want to mention the cats to your oncologist...I wasn't allowed to change the litter box during my chemo. You and Tom remain in my prayers. Oh, by the way, did a half marathon for you Sunday!! 26.2 with Donna National Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville Beach, FL.

Head Procrastinator

Donna, Many hugs and vibes coming to you. Your attitude during this is an inspiration. You and Tom are so lucky to have each other. Barb
                ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                nowor

Donna, Thanks for your sunshine report. It's so good to hear that you're feeling stronger. I'll be looking for updates and keeping you and Tom in my thoughts. Sue

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thank you for your update. with all his accomplishments, tom's the best support you could have to get through the upcoming months. we hope you'll bring him out to the west coast for a long-overdue marathon or ultra out here then too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

So good to hear from you Donna. You are so positive and upbeat. We have you in our thoughts.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hope the day goes well for you both. I will be thinking about you!
                          Smile
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            ((Tom and Donna))

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Donna.. thanks for the update. Keep being positive and strong. I know a bunch of people who have been through the chemo and radiation and are fine. Take care, Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Donna, Thanks for keeping us in the loop, and please continue to do so. You truly are an inspiration.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."