Masters Running

The Book Club - Name Your Favorites or Latest Recommendations (Read 1548 times)

I also loved The Art of Racing in the Rain and  A Dog's Purpose.  Both are wonderful, though they will make you cry! 

Finished A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron a couple days ago.  What Meg & Karin said.  

Well into Cutting For Stone - excellent, hard to put down.

Other recent reads:

The Disciple by Stephen Coontz - spy thriller set in Iran - good tale.

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster - real wisdom hidden in a kid's book.  Be sure to share it with the kids in your life.

Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes - oldie but goodie.  I forgot how sad the ending was.

Anybody read John Adams by McCullough?  Engaging or a slog?

Enjoy!

Dave59

I liked the John Adams book a lot. 

I liked the John Adams book a lot. 

Thanks for the feedback Dave!

Mariposai

Just finished the Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway, what an exquisite novel. Not only is this a moving portrayal of the survival of the human spirit, but it is a well written book as well. 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I thought John Adams was a little slow, but I did find interesting how he and Thomas Jefferson died on same day.

I am about 1/2 way done with last Harry Potter, I can not believe it has taken me this long to read these books, they are awesome.....

Finished the Hunger Games and sequels, now reading Marathon Maniacs

I loved the Harry Potter books.  I haven't had a chance to read much over the past year, but I'm in the middle of "The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom.  I read it when I was a kid.  Very much worth reading again  . . .  and again . . . .

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

I too enjoy Ann Patchett--State of Wonder is my current favorite from her and also Run 

Karin - I just finished State of Wonder - it was excellent! 

Next on my reading list:  Once a Runner by John Parker.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hoban-Jay

To Kill A Mocking Bird.   Hands down...without question the all time best book Harper Lee ever wrote! 

wildchild

Carolyn

StellarsJay - I totally agree on To Kill a Mockingbird. Great book. 

Looks like you're another Coloradoan!  Welcome to the masters forum! Please jump in and join the group in the daily threads.  Your profile says you're from Elbert - did you do the Greenland Trail Race a couple of weekends ago?  That was pretty close to you.

Carolyn

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Just finished  The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom -- excellent!!   Very well written and hard to put down - not uplifting and cheery but a great read!!

Also finished The Hunger Games - only read them because so many people were reading them.  A friend e-mailed them to me so I downloaded them on my Nook -- very cool, no cost!!  Have to say I didn't love the series and by the third I just wanted to be done with them - oh well.

Happy reading!!

denise

Top 'O the World!

I'm totally hooked on The Game of Thrones series (A Song of Ice & Fire) by George A.A. Marten.

If you like dog books that make you cry, Merle's Door should do it for you too. Wink

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Also finished The Hunger Games - only read them because so many people were reading them.  A friend e-mailed them to me so I downloaded them on my Nook -- very cool, no cost!!  Have to say I didn't love the series and by the third I just wanted to be done with them - oh well.

Happy reading!!

I just finished the series and loved them!

I'm reading a totally different kind of book now.  It's Running with the MInd of Meditation by Sakyong Mipham.  I randomly came across it on the library's Kindle collection and am enjoying it.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

I'm totally hooked on The Game of Thrones series (A Song of Ice & Fire) by George A.A. Marten.

As a Lord of the Rings fan and having watched the first season of Game of Thrones on DVD, I thought about reading the books but they look really lo-o-ong, and I'm one who is not usually put off by that.

This may have been mentioned previously, but I just finished Showdown at Shepherd's Bush, and highly recommend it especially to anyone who runs. It's mainly the story of the 1908 Olympics in London, which is where the marathon became a world-wide obsession, and is also the place where the distance (26 miles, 385 yards) became the standard (previously, most marathons --- including Boston -- were 25 miles give or take).

It follows the story of three particular runners before, during, and after the games. I found it fascinating just from the description of how the games were organized and run back then. For example, it was all held within one big stadium (except for the marathon course) that included a large field, a tank for the swimming events, a running track around the field, and a banked cycling track outside of that!

The equipment and training methods for marathoners were appalling by today's standards. Ever heard of a runner being revived by dosing him with a mixture of brandy and strychnine (water was considered to be bad during a race!)? Anyway, I think that everyone here on RA would enjoy it.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"