Masters Running

The Book Club - Name Your Favorites or Latest Recommendations (Read 1548 times)

An easy, fun read - "The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio."  True story.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" - Great book and fantastic movie.  Robert Duvall's first movie role.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm as obsessed with reading as I am with running! I've read many, many of the listed books, but have now got another 20 to add to my want-to-read list! So thanks!

Here is my list of books that I really, really enjoyed that haven't been mentioned yet: 

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Michael Chabon
      The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society  -  Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
      Angela's Ashes  - Frank McCourt
      Boy's Life - Robert McCammon
      The Bean Trees - Barbara Kingsolver
      Quarantine - Jim Crace
      The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie -  Alan Bradley

The Weed That Strings The Hangman's Bag -  Alan Bradley (at least 2 more in the series)
      Little Bee -  Chris Cleave
      The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency -  Alexander McCall Smith (series)
      Suite Française  -  Irène Némirovsky
      Lamb -  Christopher Moore (Christopher Moore was mentioned, but this book out of the 4-5 I've read is my fav!)
      Let the Great World Spin -  Colum McCann
      Neverwhere -  Neil Gaiman (same, was mentioned but this still is my fav from him)
      The Book Thief  -  Markus Zusak

Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson

The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer - by Neal Stephenson

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson

The English Patient - Michael Ondaatje

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen (and all of hers but Sense and Sensibility being my next fav!!)

The Alienist - Caleb Carr

Bridget Jones' Diary - Helen Fielding

Weaveworld - Clive Barker

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - Oliver Sacks

Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom

The Five People You Meet in Heaven - Mitch Albom

In the First Circle - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

I'm currently reading: The Passage by Justin Cronin...I'm quite sure it's going to be on my favorite's list too!

I don't read all that much fiction, and I was skeptical of the description of this book as a "gothic, romantic mystery thriller", but I gave it a go and another jacket comment saying "impossible to put down" was sure true! I enjoyed it immensely and am now looking to read some of the author's other books.

The book in question is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It was originally written in Spanish and takes place in Barcelona in the 1940s and 50s, but was expertly translated into English. Lots of dark alleyways, mysterious characters, boarded-up mansions, lost loves, and much, much more.

It really does defy an easy description, but is well written and worth taking a look at!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Very funny!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Anyhting by Bill Bryson is great.  I'm working on Tales from a Small Island at the moment.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Bill Bryson is hilarious.

I'm almost done with "Tuesdays with Morrie."  Wonderful book.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I just read Ray Bradbury's Farewell Summer - supposed to be sequel to Dandelion Wine.  I highly recommend.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

jeffdonahue

I always like Stephen Kings "The Long Walk"

Henrun

My friend who is a runner and mystery novel writer is offering a free Kindle download this weekend of his novel, "Killer Run". The author's name is K.D. Mason. I've already read close to 100 pages and find it a real page turner with lots of running and mystery. Enjoy!

I just finished The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe - excellent and great recommendations for books to read within!!

denise

C-R

Alberto Slazar's "14 Minutes". I learned much and it was a good read.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Recently finished Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese....sooo good! such good character development. Inspiring!! Can you tell I LOVED it??

Also finished Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith -- also good! 

Henrun

Just finished "Canada" by Richard Ford-excellent character study and a good story. Also "The Art of Fielding"-about baseball and much more.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Working in a bookstore I occassionally have access to prepublication copies of book. I recently finished The Vast Unknown by Broughton Coburn due to be released April 30th. It's an insightful telling of the first American expedition to climb Everest. There's a lot more than just the story of the climb as there were several scientific studies included with the expedition's goals. I've already asked that it be included on our store's staff rec shelf when it's released.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I'm reading my way through "The Last LIon: Winston Spencer Churchill"  by William Manchester.  It is very long.  I read the first part 689 pages last year, and have now started the 2nd. I think there must be a third book. It is interesting and about Churchill and English history.  Very well written, and in great detail, but long.