Masters Running

The Book Club - Name Your Favorites or Latest Recommendations (Read 1548 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I just finished listening to The Outlander as an audio book.  Not my usual type, sort of a historical romance/epic adventure, really, but quite a page-turner, so to speak, and with 28 CDs, it took me through quite a few runs.  I especially liked the narrator, who was able to capture the different voices and that lovely Scottish brogue.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I loved The Outlander!   Listened to it on tape first, and then bought the book.  Think I gave it to some of my kids and grandsons too.

Also finished Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith -- also good! 

...very well written,

also ''The Speech'' is almost as good

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Reread Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. I think I was still in college the last time I read that. Once in a while it's good to revisit old classics.

Discovered a "new" author, Alexander McCall Smith. Read 44 Scotland Street and just started the second of that series, The Espresso Tales.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Henrun

A page turner about a British runner-"The Ghost Runner" by Bill Jones.

sluggo

John

I just joined this group, less than 2 minutes ago. I qualify for the age group.

I love to read books. I will have to read/watch this thread.

Here is a book for the geeky/nerdy types: The Joy of X

It explains lots of things, including the concept that infinity comes in different sizes. Who knew!? I still don't understand this concept but I do understand why 1 is exactly equal to 0.9999999999999.......

I hope that I am not repeating a recommendation posted earlier.

John
              www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Mariposai

Recently finished Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese....sooo good! such good character development. Inspiring!! Can you tell I LOVED it??

Yes! I really enjoyed this one too! Great writing, good plot!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

sluggo

John

Yes! I really enjoyed this one too! Great writing, good plot!

Cool. I put this book on my library list to read. I can move it to hold in the future.

Some other books:

Exploding the phone : the untold story of the teenagers and outlaws who hacked Ma Bell / Phil Lapsley.

Great book - covers the people and times who were able to hack into the Ma Bell system back when we were still using rotary phones. It seems that Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniac got their start from this effort.

A universe from nothing : why there is something rather than nothing / Lawrence M. Krauss

Another great non fictio book which leans heavily into astrophysics. It is very readable and very interesting

Just finished: Wherever I wind up : my quest for truth, authenticity, and the perfect knuckleball / R. A. Dickey

This describes the efforts of RA Dickey becoming a tremendously great knuckleball pitcher. I don't like watching baseball nearly as much as I do reading about it.

This is quite a list of non-fiction from someone who normally reads fiction..

John

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Henrun

Just finished: Wherever I wind up : my quest for truth, authenticity, and the perfect knuckleball / R. A. Dickey

This describes the efforts of RA Dickey becoming a tremendously great knuckleball pitcher. I don't like watching baseball nearly as much as I do reading about it.

Sluggo, 2 baseball books that are interesting:

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach-fiction-well written.

The DiMaggios by Tom Clavin-recently published-about the 3 brothers.

sluggo

John

Sluggo, 2 baseball books that are interesting:

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach-fiction-well written.

The DiMaggios by Tom Clavin-recently published-about the 3 brothers.

herun : I tried "The Ghost Runner" but I never really got into it. Thanks for the lead though.

I put "The Art of Fielding" on my library's list of books to read. I may have already read it...

"The DiMaggio's" is not at my library yet. I will have to look for it later,

John

wildchild

Carolyn

I just finished reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls - I think it was Enke that recommended it.  It was excellent, but tough.  Makes me appreciate my family, even with all their quirks.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I just finished "A Hologram for the King" by Dave Eggers -- a somewhat satirical (I guess you'd call it) novel about the new global economy and our place in it.

Right now i'm reading a very recent release, "Nostalgia" by Jim McFarland. The title refers to a somewhat obsolete meaning of the word as "homesickness" rather than reminiscing about the past. It's set during the Civil War, but is not an action story or what you would call a "historical novel." It's much more literary than that. Moves slowly but is hard to put down as it flashes back and forth from a young soldier lying in a hospital bed and his earlier home life and experience during the Battle of the Wilderness.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

Funny.  I was going to add something here but I wondered if anyone would notice it was updated, and I see Roch added an entry earlier today, so I guess the thread is still good.

All the Hunger Games hype made me think of a book I read not too long ago.  It is in the same vein as the Hunger Games and Harry Potter with a young hero.  It's geared more for kids but I enjoyed it.  It's about a boy that has to go back in time to gather artifacts to bring back and save civilization.  It is the first of 3 in a series.

"Mark of the Centipede: A Novel (Timeshifters) (Volume 1)" - http://tinyurl.com/k8onvga

If you do happen to try it, let me know what you think.  I'd send my copy if I could but I got it on the Kindle.  (Still only 99 cents on the Kindle.)

...just finished

a fascinating history

To Lose a Battle: France 1940

by alister horne

......an in depth look

at something we tend to forget,

fighting the Current War by using the Last War's Strategy.......very good read for you History Buffs

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - hard to beat 99 cents - I loaded it on my Kindle and will let you know what I think.

I have recently ready Reflex by Dick Francis - always a fun and light reading author, and the first three books of the Game of Thrones series - starting book four soon.

On audiobooks I am on the 3rd book of the Outlander series - Drums of Autumn.  Basically historical fiction, maybe even a little bit of a romance, but a wonderful storytelling regardless, the audiobooks have the most wonderful narrator, who is able to create the Scottish and English and French accents so well, each character so clearly defined - I love these.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."