Masters Running

The Book Club - Name Your Favorites or Latest Recommendations (Read 1548 times)

Henrun

Also for history buffs-almost finished Lawrence in Arabia by Scott Anderson. Much more depth than the movie and an intensive perspective on WW I.

lagwagon

Just a quick note to say great thread, I enjoyed reading through it.

I got a kindle about a year ago, and ever since I've been reading much more than I used to.  Not sure why, but I do really like having access to any book on my phone, Ipad and kindle...so I always have a book on me.

After reading through the thread I picked up Enders Game, Unbroken and Mark of the Centipede for a total of $7.  (I love the kindle deals!)  Also grabbed a free short story by Vonnegut.  (free ftw!)  So thanks for all the suggestions.  I also look forward to grabbing the Bowerman book but may wait for a better deal.

A few that I really enjoyed this year were:  the Wool series by Hugh Howey and Cyberstorm by Matthew Mather.  Both were slightly imperfect but still really fun.  Also read and can recommend Running w the Buffaloes (Chris Lear) and Marathon Man (Bill Rodgers).

Awesome thread. I've hardly posted here, but this thread has come great suggestions. Recently I've read..

Into the Silence by Wade Davis-nonfiction account of the first three British attempts to scale Mt Everest, nice background of WW1 too.

I'm two thirds of the way through the Hunger Game trilogy. Reminds me of Harry Potter, a "kid's" book that's enjoyable for all ages

I've just started a translation of the Odyssey by Stephen Mitchell that seems pretty good.

I just read Abominable by Dan Simmons. A fictional thriller about Mt Everest. My wife & I are pretty keen on that topic.

Dan Simmons is one of my favorite author. Writes in a few different genres but is probably best know for SciFi. His Hyperion seris is one of my all time faves and Olympida & Illium were fantastic.

Peke98, I'm working on Robert Fagles's translation of The Iliad in the background and also have his Odyssey that I'll eventually get to. I am always awed that something written 3000 or more years ago is so understandable and filled with human situations that still resonate today.

I just finished Detroit: An American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff. OK, probably not of much interest outside this area, but a good tell-it-like-it-is chronicle by a guy -- now a newsman -- who grew up in the city and has seen it all go wrong.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

I admit I only made it about 1/3 of the way through Jodi Picoult's 19 Minutes.  I found it immensely depressing, and didn't particularly like any of the characters.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

..just finished

Alan Furst's ''Spies of Warsaw''............this author is AMAZING,

the details of pre-WorldWar II Europe is exceptionally well done,

and

one of his other noverls ''Dark Star'' covers the Moscow Show Trials Era, it's probably one the the best written books I've read in years.

if you can get a copy, INDULGE yourself.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Cashmason

Just a wild thought here.

Many books are available as audio books and you can fit dozens of them on an Ipod that will clip to your running shorts.

I have listened to most of Tom Clancy's books as well as Vince Flynn and Lee Child.

I often listen to audio books now rather than music when I run, as long as I am in a safe place,

where having ear buds in, will not make it unsafe.

Plus the volume is usually lower than music for me, again easier to hear your surroundings,

and having only one ear but in, will not affect the story as much as not having stereo sound

for music.

I recently read both "Wild" and "Unbroken."  Completely different books, but love them both.

I'm currently reading "Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson.  I'm not far into it, but already find it very intriguing - serial murderer and the Chicago World's Fair circa 1893.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Gold by Chris Cleave, about 2 friends vying for a spot at the 2012 Olympics in cycling.  Both are in their 30s,  friends since they were 19, one is married with a child while the other is single, very famous.  This author is uncanny at writing from a woman's perspective.  Just finished Little Bee by the same author, about a Nigerian refugee in London and a successful magazine editor.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Henrun

I just discussed a book I'm presently reading in the daily thread: The Last Great Walk by Wayne Curtis. It's the true story of a 1909 walk from New York to San Francisco during the age of pedestrianism.

Most people on this forum will like to read Christopher McDougall's new book  "Natural Born Heroes".  He is the great ultra runner who wrote "Born To Run".    If you like history, adventure, running tips, fitness dieting or Greek myths, this is a real page turner.

Marathon Maniac #957

I have been enjoying Orson Scott Card books lately, including Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I read for my first book by Tana French - "In the Wood."  Great crime drama read.

Also a page-turner that I read this past year is "The Immortal Life Henrietta Lacks."  "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is a non-fiction book by American author Rebecca Skloot. It is about Henrietta Lacks and the immortal cell line, known as HeLa, that came from her cervical cancer cells in 1951."  An incredible story.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mdolley

Funky kicks 2019

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Very funny!

Loved it

mdolley

Funky kicks 2019

A couple of books by Miane authors Here if you need me by Kate Braestrup, and A Certain Slant of Light by Cynthia Thayer.

Great reads