Masters Running

Happy New Year 1-1-14 (Read 41 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy New Year!  I'm taking this opportunity to start the daily since I'm in Thailand, and it's already 3 pm here!    We spent last night in Pak Chong, and although we were alseep at midnight, the fireworks woke us up, so we watched from our porch.

This morning I did a 4 mile run to find the best route to the grocery from the place we were staying, avoiding the busiest roads.  That's my only run here so far, but hoping for better running territory the farther from Bangkok we get.

Hope Holly survived the sleepover and everyone met their end-of-year running goals.  I saw that Dave and Stumpy made it to 1000!   Here's a picture from Bangkok to start the New Year:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Happy 2014!

I can legaly post a block of victory lap walking after midnight with our guests as my first official 2014 post.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Slo

Looks like a wonderful trip for you wildchild!

Happy New Year everybody...!!!!

Our Iowa winter has been like the ones I remember from my youth. Lots of snow and cold and frankly I am enjoying it!

Best wished to everyone!

SubDood

Happy New Year! Thanks for the Thailand picture, wildchild. That's my birthplace and where I lived for the first 8 months of my life. Right now, I'm in  Minnesota, waiting to run a 14-mile race in -8 degree F weather! Needless to say, I'm jealous!

...How Cool wildchild/////////

==========

..........Wishing everyone a Healthy and PainFree 2014

...................meself is STILL sick,

THE GOOD NEWS

...........I invented a new NasalSpray with Alkalol to clear sinuses

so I got THAT going for me.

..........................Good Running Guys..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Happy New Year everybody!  I just had fun posting on the December Master Miles thread.  I sure did have some fun times with you people.  I counted 9 new people I met last year from RA.  (I hope I didn't miss anybody)  I hope I beat that number this year...anybody want to do a marathon in Naples, FL on February 16th?

Speaking of meeting more people...I've been looking ahead trying to plan out my year...Florida in February is booked...and I'm thinking Vermont in September for somebody's 50th.  That will leave me with 18 states plus DC (CT, DE, HI, ME, MD, MS, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OR, PA, RI, SC, VA)  Are any of you thinking of any of these?

Anyway...oh--every time I hear about Thailand, I think about when my dad was there for a year when I was in 3rd grade...'66 to '67 I think.  I have a lot of memories during that time but when he came back he brought my brother and me 3 Thailand T-shirts each.  But they were all the same-- 6 T-shirts that looked exactly alike.  So, I wore these shirts all the time to school...until the kids started making fun of me for wearing the "same" shirt everyday.

Okay--I've spent way too much time on here, today.  See ya later!

Happy New Year RA Friends!

What a great photo to start off 2014. Thanks wildchild!

I haven't been consistent about logging my miles here, so rather than look back, I am looking forward and thinking of what's ahead. I have lots of big goals and dreams on the running front and it will be fun to pursue them---and I am hoping with many of you alongside. Did I see VT in September Mike E?! Hurray....!

Hill repeat day for me--8 miles total with 5 x 60 second steep hill repeats in the middle. Team workout and we took turns leading up the hill. It sure is easier to draft than it is to lead!

Sending healing vibes to TW (although your cure may be just the thing!)

coastwalker

Happy New Year everybody!

Is there any significance to be attached to the angularity of the number '4' (as in 2014), vs. the curvalinearality of last year's '3?'

Great photo, Wildchild! I'm glad you're having a good trip.

Do feel better, TomW. I hope your nasal invention does the trick.

We went for a walk on the frozen pond yesterday, and met the guy I mentioned a few days ago who was doing laps on the pond on his bike. He's got some nice studded tires on the bike. He said it was somewhat boring - 10 laps of about 1/3 mile each - but a lot less mindless than riding his trainer in the basement. It was amusing to see everyone (especially the 17 and 12 year-olds) jump whenever the ice cracked. But it was just shifting a bit, and we were in no danger of going swimming.

I couldn't muster any enthusiasm for the fireworks last night at all. So we had an early dinner, followed by some very tasty appetizers that we munched on for the rest of the night. We stayed in front of the woodstove/fireplace, and put together a jigsaw puzzle. The last piece went in a little after 1am. I managed to stay up till 12:15, and so missed the puzzle finale.

SIL and family planned on getting on the road for home at about 10 this morning. So, right on schedule, they left at 1:15 this afternoon. Actually, for them, that is pretty good timing!

Tet - Racewalkers never take walk breaks because they would likely be DQ'd for breaking form, and would also quickly fall behind in the race. So even if we need to slow down a bit, we don't break form. I haven't timed myself "fast walking" but not racewalking in quite a few years. I imagine my fast walking/not racewalking pace would be somewhere around 14 min/mi. I can still racewalk a 5K at about a 10:10 pace. The last time I measured my cadence, it was about 130-140 steps/minute. Olympic racealkers are closer to 240 steps/min. I'd love to be up at 180, but I'd need some significant focused training to get close to moving my legs that fast.

With the late night last night, I still woke just a little late at 4:45. But I wisely decided to stick for some more sleep. Then I was on breakfast duty, so my op for a workout this morning quickly passed. We're supposed to have some snow coming in tonight, so I'll have to see what tomorrow morning looks like.

Have a greta New Year's Day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Awesome pic wild. Enjoy Thailand.

Get better Tom And snd along that new nasal spray concept. I might be able to use it too.

I ran a bit harder today which is my plan for 2014. No resolutions for me other than try to be more patient and look for the positives. So far so good.

Have a great day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Happy New Year my friends!!   The BAA ice sculture marj/henry posted yesterday from Boston's 1st night was done by a guy in my running group - Don Chapelle.  Another one of my friends was interviewed in front of it on Fox 25 last night -- pretty cool stuff!!

I ran The Hangover Classic in Salisbury Beach this morning - so much fun!!  51:00 for 6.2 miles which makes me smile!!  Definitely a 10k PR for me!!   DH and I enjoyed spending a couple hours with friends last night then beat it home to be in the hot tub for the last 1/2 hour of 2013!!

Great way to end the year and looking forward to a better 2014!!

Carolyn - beautiful picture!!  Someday I will get somewhere exotic!!  Enjoy your time in Thailand!!

TW - feel better!!

CNY - can't wait to plan for you September birthday run!

Jay - glad you went for more sleep -- I have 3 days in a row off and have committed to more sleep each of those days - think my body needs it!

Tet - i think know I love you!!  Actually I love this running forum and everyone in it - and no that's not the postrace glow/beer talking!! 

denise

Mariposai

Here is to wish everyone a 2014 filled with great running, family unity, inner peace and professional prosperity.

Congratulations on your 10k PR deez4boy! Your times are getting faster and faster, girlfriend!

So, what did you guys do to bid good-bye to 2013 and welcome the New Year?

We had a pizza extravaganza party at our house. A small group of our friends came over, I provided home-made pizza dough and the toppings and had each couple create their own pizza to share with everyone. Everyone seemed to enjoy the evening. We had  toppings for greek, veggie, shrimp, margarita, Smoked Canadian Bacon and pineapple, and pepperoni () pizzas. The Easy Pacer prepared fondue for the appetizer, which was my first exposure to fondue and I really liked it.

We watched a movie, played games and then after mid-night we walked around the block for our traditional "New Year Victory Lap".

As for running, I ran 10 miles this morning to welcome the 2014, thus beginning my training cycle for Ave of the Giants. Now off to an annual New Year Day party at a friend house.

Happiness to all,

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Maniac 505

Happy New years all.

I have been really poor about posting for quite a while.  I will try to do better.  Also, for the new year I plan on ramping up my running a bit and hope to get back into some kind of shape other than round.

My Last work week ended last night.   Between my work schedule and my commute it took 16 hours door to door. Fortunately those weeks don't happen often, but when they do, I will not post or run.

nice pictures Wild

3 ez miles for me today.

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy New Year!

Carolyn - beautiful!

I did NOT go to the slumber party, as I did not actually receive a request from the mother involved.  I stayed home and had a spat with DH, so maybe I should have gone after all....went to bed about 10pm, so no greeting of the new year until morning.  Ah well...

Spent several hours today cleaning the house - who knows how long it will last, but still satisfying...

12 miles for me this morning in 24 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi All,

Deez, wow, you speedy woman!!!

We all went to bed around 9pm, and I set the alarm for 11:45pm so we could wake up to see the New Year begin.  Alas, my hand slapped the alarm off when it beeped, and I instantly fell back asleep.  Kids were a bit peeved I didn't wake them up, but got over it.

4 miles at the horse trails.  Feeling groovy.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

Exhausted man checking in from Michigan.  Had a long drive back home today.  Lots of snow, a number of cars in the ditches, and massive traffic around Ann Arbor when we happened to be passing by while everyone from Toronto was driving in for the NHL Winter Classic.

No running yesterday or today.

I am unpacked, my laundry is done, I made some chili for dinner, and I guess I am ready to return to work tomorrow.

I'll try to get back to running tomorrow too.  Going to be cold so it may be a TM run.

Nice pic Wild.