Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 7.30.17 (Read 29 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Saturday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (5.8 less warm but still humid miles)
    Tomwhite (40 min pool run with letters)
    Marj (6 miles checking major bridge repairs in Beantown)
    Spacityrunner (5 earl AM trail miles with a group and lots of humidity)
    Henrun (3 post-blah miles)
    Stumpy (2.2 hill-avoiding, on-shore miles)
    Mike (10 summery miles)
    RCG/RS (finished in fine fashion for his fiftieth foray in four-fourteenish)

Wildchild (10 sproinky afternoon miles in a local state park)

Mariposai (7 miles + 8hrs of basement cleaning cross training)

Evanflein (8.2 miles, including 4 along a river)

Tammy (6.5 morning miles before the heat settled in)

Marj - that bridge reconstruction in Boston looks like it is causing major problems for some folks - just as they said it would.

I’m glad you got to run with a good group, Spacityrunner.

I’m glad you had a good time with relatives in Portsmouth, Henrun, and a good run yesterday morning too.

Good for the family for seeing that your FIL has a good trip, Stumpy. Travel safely today.

Thanks for the sekrit handshake to Instagram pics, Tramps.

Big CONGRATS to the Rocket Scientist for getting #50!

Glad you all made it to CO, Holly. Bummer that DH doesn't want you to run.

Mariposia, I've been avoiding tackling our basement for quite a while, but its time is coming.

Good luck on the college tours this week, Tammy!

I'm off, in about 10 minutes, to this morning's 8AM 5K in York, ME. I did about 3.5 RW miles on a track with a couple of women from our training group yesterday. When we picked up the pace for a quick last half lap, I was surprised at how little I had to give. So it'll be interesting to see what happens when the gun goes off today.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good luck, Jay!

I got out early for a short run along Route 66, watching the sunrise hitting the peaks.  Saw two elk walking across the Conoco parking lot.

4.1 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

What?

I've raced and I'm back, and only Holly has been up and out and has posted? Sounds like a fantastic run, Holly!

I finished the York Days 5K in 32.50 for a 10:28 pace, and won the RW division. I'll add more later in the RR posts.

Cheers,

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

coastwalker congratulations on the race win!

TammyinGP I still do not get the whole parents touring college campuses with kids thing. I went on a college tour in the summer before my senior year of high school with a few of my friends. We packed up the car and drove off on our own. The thought of our parents coming along would have been mortifying!

Ran the 4.683 mile race in town yesterday. Managed to come in 6/24 in my AG. Getting better. At the start of the season I was in the center of the pack. Now in the top quarter. Yesterday, was cool, damp and cloudy. Fine for the race but a drag the rest of the day. Stunningly beautiful day here today! Later on DW and I head out to a graduation party a friend of ours is throwing for his DD#1 and DD#2. One from high school the other from college. Next year, I wonder if they will throw a tuition drove us into bankruptcy party? 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Yeah- Parents go on the tours because they want to know where their $200K is going.....

10.2 miles in gorgeous weather (63-72 and lower humidity) but it didn't feel that easy for me today.  Got it done.  My son was racing his local Olympic distance tri (literally on his training course and in the lake where he lives).  I was worried that he would crash or have a flat because there was a big write-up about him in the local paper up there and I thought it might jinx him.  I didn't get any news from him until I finished my run.  He won overall again for the 2nd year in a row, so I can relax.  I kept my mouth shut but am annoyed at my sister and her family who live ON the lake but are not morning people and didn't even get up to watch him race or at least go to the finish line (1/2 mile walk from their house).  They really don't get the whole racing thing and how nice it would have been for him to have family their at the finish.  Oh well.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

spacityrunner

3ish miles around the neighborhood in the late morning sunshine.  they felt hard.

Trails Rock!

Tramps

Congrats on the win, Jay!

Elk, Holly? Cool.  You don't see that in Ohio.

KSA--congrats to your son.

Stunning day here.  It feels more like September than July, which is wonderful.  TriBee and I went for an early bike ride, mostly through some nearby farmlands and lightly populated areas.  My longest yet at 46 miles.  Perfect day for it.

A couple of things that might be of interest in today's paper:

• a review of a new British book that sounds like a thoughtful reflection on the pleasures of running.
                • a travel section feature on ultra-running in Colorado. Hmmm....who does that remind me of?

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

No one comes to mind at the moment.

Nice walking, Jay.  I wish York was a little closer--I might have tried to join you.

Congrats on the 50th to the RS.  How'd your deci-thon go?

What KSA said about wanting to see where our money is going.  Also in our case DW got a trip to LA out of it.   Also nice LR and win for KSA the younger.  No accounting for tastes

You seem to be adjusting to this biking stuff, Tramps.

5.56 miles (stopped JUST a skootch too late) on a nice hilly route.  Last run in Maine for the week.  Will be back for the weekend and try to fit a couple in amongst all the family doings.  Because of the volume of visitors, DW and I will be using Loon Isle for sleeping only, so makes it a bit tricky to get to shore early enough.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...very nice Racing jay......

and, yes,

Tramps is turning into a Biking ANIMAL//////

============

90s here

35-min RC at Y Soccer Fields

...................good Running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

Excellent RW'ing jay! You sure you aren't running there? that's my running pace lately!  Can't imagine RW'ing at that pace. 

Got out for 7 miles this morning. Now it's hot and I see a nap in my near future.   This week will be absolutely sizzling for all of Oregon. Even Portland looking at record breaking temps this week. Gee, I was looking forward to Portland to GET AWAY from our heat. We should be 114 o Wed. Even Portland should see about 108. Do I know how to pick the 3 hottest days of the summer to do college campus tours, or what??!!

Tammy

Henrun

Congrats on the win, Jay!

A couple of things that might be of interest in today's paper:

• a review of a new British book that sounds like a thoughtful reflection on the pleasures of running.

That's the 2nd review of that book I've read today. It hits a lot of familiar notes for me. I've always been a meditative runner although I'm still competitive even though my present slowness puts me at the very back of the pack. I continue to eschew technology and relie on an old Timex watch. I either know the distance of my route or approximate the distance by time. I also hate "dreadmills" and prefer the outdoors to gyms. As far as barefoot running goes, I'll leave that to Tet and would be interested in his comments about the book.

No running today- just walking as I continue my every other day routine.

Bonjour, mes amis! Back from Quebec, where we had an absolutely wonderful time except for the return trip yesterday. Tip: When going through U.S. immigration at the Toronto airport, don't be carrying an apple from the hotel's breakfast buffet and then answer "Yes" to the question "Are you bringing in any fruits or vegetables." That's a good way to turn a three-hour layover into a rather tight connection!

My phone also completely died in the middle of the week. At first I was a bit panicked about it, but then it became strangely liberating not to be carrying it around all the time. We actually had to find directions on our own, look around for restaurants, etc. the old fashioned way. Google's sending me a replacement this week, but I'm not in as much of a hurry for it as I thought I'd be.

Walked three outbound on the trail this morning with the usual crew, then ran the three back to the parking lot. Great weather continuing this week so I'll probably do a longer run tomorrow and then biking as usual on Tuesday.

I'll catch up with what y'all have been doing when I get the time.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Speedy racewalking, Jay!  Congrats on the win!

Holly, the elk in Estes Park are pretty tame compared to the ones around here.  They're very used to visitors up there.  Here, if you can get a picture of one, all you get is it's rear end running away.

We really enjoyed the college tours we did with DD.  I never got to do college tours when I was in high school, since my dad is a college professor and I got free tuition at his school.  So it was a new and fun experience with DD.

KSA, congrats on your DS's win!  Bummer about your sister and her family, but oh, well...

DH and I went for a walk earlier, but it started raining pretty hard, so I sprinted home.  It was fun, but I got soaked.  I'll go back out again later and try again.

Happy birthday to Jlynne!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy!  Repeating a post from FB:

DS and DD and I walked up from the Alpine Visitor Center at Rocky Mountain National Park to the peak behind it, 12005 ft above sea level. DH was feeling the altitude (a little lightheaded and dizzy, even not exerting himself) so he stayed down to Visitor Center. Absolutely stunning view in all directions.  DD is maybe thinking mountains are not so boring.

And Carolyn, the wildflowers are so beautiful!

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing, cloud, sky, mountain, outdoor and nature

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

It has been a very busy day and I am beat.

I just read a pretty good book.  The River Road by Dennis Barker.  It was special to me because the story is about a kid who was in 9th grade in 1972...the same year I was in 9th grade and the setting is in the Twin Cities so I could myself in the exact spots the were talked about in the book.

I ran an easy 6 miles between all the other running around I had to do.

Tomorrow is Monday.....

Okay--that's it for me.  See ya!

Oh--nice racing Jay!