Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 10.21.13 (Read 49 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Greta photo of DD, Holly!

That was an outstanding 1st half, Runr_nut, and and HUGE PR at Baystate, Deeze!! Also greta racing by Tramps (including AG hardware), CNY (2nd Masters), and IBUB (PR in Columbus Marathon), Milktruck, who I had the pleasure of chatting with before the Harvest Half, failed to let you know that he placed 3rd in his AG there.

Nice runs yesterday by Jlynne, Stumpy (especially after a late Red Sox game), Ribs, Mariposai, Evanflein, Tselbes and Holly.

Too dark and cold at 8am, Rochrunner? What's with that??

Tselbes, it sounds like a nice time reconnecting with men (and their families0 who were your kids' friends growing up.

Deeze, I'm sorry about your incident in Boston. Suffice it to say that some people just don't get it. Hopefully that young girl will develope some sensibility and sensitivity.

Short but excellent post yesterday, Tet.

Just before I left for the Harvest Half yesterday morning, I read a column by a runner in a local paper about the mental aspects of running and racing. That came into play later. It was sunny, in the upper 50s, and with a bit of a breeze at race time. This race is mostly on a flat, very-well groomed trail, which was fine for racewalking (racewalkers feet always stay close to the ground, so having to go over roots, rocks etc. can be especially challenging). I started out relatively easy since A) this was a training race and B) I didn't want to burn out by going out too fast. I checked my splits on my Garmin for the first few miles, but they were all over the place (from 12s to 15s), which made no sense at all, so I just went by feel and perceived pace from then on. The trail had 1/2 mile markers, and one couple in the race would run a half then walk a half, then repeat. They pulled ahead of me on the runs, and I just about completely caught up on their walks. Just past mile 7, at a turn-around, I passed them, picked up my pace, and never saw them again. For the rest of the race, I targeted runners ahead of me who were fading, and worked at picking them off. Depending on their distance ahead and pace, I'd give myself a mile or maybe 2 to catch them. It was a great game, and helped me (along with remembering that column I read earlier) keep the pressure on. So much for being a relatively easy training race! I passed the last of my targeted runners in mile 12, and then was scared to death that they'd muster up a finishing kick and pass me back before the finish. So I picked it up another notch and went as fast as I could possibly go - to be honest, it felt pretty good to have some decent speed at that stage of a half. I finished in 2:25:something, which was a minute faster than when I did this race in '11. Most of my splits were in the low 11s, with 2 in the 10s, and I was at a 9:06 pace going into and through the last 10th. I was useless for a few minutes after I finished, but I felt great.

Yep, today was an SRD.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Very nice, Jay.  Especially on trails.  Did they have a walking division?  And if so, how'd you do?

SRD for me too.  Now I have to figure out how to get Deez her mug.  We only live less than 1/2 hour apart, yet the way our schedules run, it may end up being quicker for me to mail to to her.  Roll eyes

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Nice Job Jay!

An easy 10k for me this am...Breezy fall day. Forecast for tonight actually includes snow.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

No run for me today - less than two weeks to the NYC marathon.

Yesterday was 16 miles on in-town roads.  Beautiful day, but gusty winds.  So I made sure to start the out and back into the wind.

Happy birthday Hopeful.

dg.

'Morning  : )

wow Jay, that's fast!

PBJ...   how long is this marathon?     ; - )

Happy Birthday Mary!   

Which reminds me of a question...   do 'we' tend to avoid actual names, to some extent?      I remember seeing a post that hinted at that once but I wasn't sure if I understood it correctly.

Jeanne (well, there I go....) I'm so glad your race went so well.   1st in AG!   yay.    thanks for your comments the other day....   with all you've been through, you're very brave yourself.    and, you made me laugh... pool running was a bit of a leap for me, esp. the bathing suit part  (I know, grow up..) and 'brave, brave sir robin..' kept popping into my head.

congrats to everybody for everything.

Tet I loved the picture of you with your DD... what a great story went along with it.    pretty neat.

whine warning... I was really discouraged yesterday, due to things just not going well & a lot of chronic things that might be here to stay, & it hurt to do the simplest things.   and, I tried a walk a few days ago, that hurt in some parts, & the tiny run chunks weren't particularly successful.   I felt almost like giving up just everything.     then, last night I dreamed that I was determined to run the Columbus marathon again.    (I'll blame Ibleedunionblue...nice job!!)     I was down there for some reason, & I kept not being sure which day it was, but I was determined to run it in spite of the fact that I haven't been running at all & my foot's still in pt mode.  there were all the usual weird dream chunks...   it had already started, (it was a last minute decision ; ) )  but I found where you registered & you still could!  but I didn't have any money & so went back & found my purse (?) & registered.  couldn't find packet pickup, this place had upstairs & downstairs.. more like a ski place... it went on & on ...  finally got everything, strange bib configuration,   was just getting ready to start when I realized I didn't have any gus, but off I went, & then I woke up.

so, I went to the gym.   19 min. elliptical w/intervals, 13 min. bike, 2 sets of leg weights, 1 of arm stuff, hammie curls & hip flexor stretches, & 25mprwb.

King of PhotoShop

Up early today for a run along the Sound, about three unmeasured miles in the dark.  Very enjoyable, cool weather here in Seattle.  Now off to work.

Wrote a post about the author Alex Berenson if any of you are familiar with his work:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2013/10/a-great-spy-thriller-story-and-marathon-training-reminder.html/

Spareribs

Good Morning All. Nice race Jay!

Was still stiff this morning from Saturdays race but decided to get out and see how it would go. Everything started to loosen up after about a mile so I continued on for 4 more. 5 easy miles that felt really good, so am over that hump, and now to find another half to do. I have decided to relocate to Seattle area so will probably look for something out there. Goal move date is before the new year.

Happy Running to everyone!

Clark

Slo

Is it just me or is this like the longest dg post ever?

Maybe it's all just a dream?  Big grin

dg.

oh, gee Steve.    in the olden days I beat that lots of times..

but you don't have to repost it to make your point!!! I feel funny enough with it up there once.... erase erase!!

Smile

Mariposai

dg, your post made my day!!! Once in a while I dream the no bib # or no gu nightmare as well.

Deez4boys, that was one speedy race! Your fitness rocks!

Jay, your HM pace is almost as fast as some of our HM times. Great job. I enjoy reading about your road kills!

Stumpy, what is SRD?

PBJ is running NYC, hurray!!!! It is so good to see you back running strongs.

Clark, that 5 miler must have felt good after your race on Saturday.

Spareribs is in Seattle and I can't see him Cry?

Holly, sweet picture of your DD's baptism., thanks for sharing it with us.

Here is a picture of our meet up with Tetsujin on Friday. From left to right: the famous taperboy, me, my DH aka the Easy Pacer and Dr. Vivian, a friend of tetsujin. What a great time we all had.

Well, this is a stay at home Monday for me. I have taken this day off thinking that we would spend an extra day in Portland after the wedding, but my DH has some pressing work to do in the woods so we were forced to drive back home last night. I started the day with relaxing on my porch drinking my paraguayan mate drink. Then I did 40' of core video and 40' of weight.  Now it is time to go and finish painting the doors in the family room.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

That would be Scheduled Rest Day.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

That would be Scheduled Rest Day.

no wonder mariposai didn't know what it meant.

I have taken this day off

Then I did 40' of core video and 40' of weight.  

Now it is time to go and finish painting the doors in the family room.

ps - thanks for the pic and extra time in Seattle for the late dinner before your other meet-up even later in the evening. I had no idea you'd be thereafter driving to Portland and get checked in in time to get up for the 5am hotel treadmill you posted about yesterday. Then you drive all the way back that night to do it again at home this morning.  And to think I thought I did pretty good with a weekend 10K.  whew.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Too dark and cold at 8am, Rochrunner? What's with that??

It's called "retirement", Jay.

dg (guess I'm not supposed to call you by name?), I've had lots of dreams like that. Like not finding a place to park and the race is already started, or I get to the start and look down to find myself wearing a pair of dress shoes, etc. I don't think I've made it to an actual race yet!

This morning was a confirmation that summer is really over. Not a bad run -- 8 miles on the Paint Creek Trail -- but damp, chilly, and breezy. I was also just a bit tired from yesterday's 6-miler and was reminded again that it takes me a while longer to get warmed up when the weather turns cold. I'll have to keep that in mind for my upcoming event and make sure to do a warmup run of some sort.

I ran with a friend who's just back from Hawaii. Among other things, he volunteered to work at the Hawaii Kona Ironman, which was a couple weekends ago. His job was to be a "catcher"; that is, to catch people as they invariably collapsed when crossing the finish line. He enjoyed it, but did say that it would not be a good job for a germophobe!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

It's been one of the days where you wish you never got out of bed.  Everything I worked on was basically wrong.  Nothing "bad", just nothing at all accomplished.  For example, spending hours on a report for management only to find out I was using the wrong categories.

I have been dressed to run all day, but could not get out the door until a few minutes ago.  I forced myself to run a mile so I could say I accomplished something today and my life is not utterly devoid of meaning.

C-R

Nice Jay.

Holly - great pics of your DD. What a joyous day for you all.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Being able to share with others who have had similar experiences helps. Oh and Tet, I will need to remind my kids about what you said if I ever need to take away phone/video games/etc.

Nice 6.6 today in advance of a week long business trip. Ugh.

Deez - people sometimes are just a "bubble off plumb" There are fewer of them than the nice folks.

Nice article Ribs and I started reading his blog. Good stuff.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/