Masters Running

Friday, 2.17.17 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday's excellent workouts:

Hally (strength workout at the gym)

Steve (3.5 mile in a new park with the cousins)

Holly (6 TM miles)

Catwhoorg (6 lunchtime miles, exact same time as Tuesday)

Tramps (6 blustery, chilly miles)

Rochrunner (6 sproinky miles around the lake in winter IRC with friends)

Marj (a run in New England [not FL] winter IRC with real hills)

Tet (5 dry, dripless, windless miles in 49F temps, plus an afternoon return 5 miles in 57F temps)

Berthaslayer (8 miles with 7 Little Berthas for a tie)

Twocat (6 daylight miles around some ice)

Spacityrunner (4.3 lunchtime miles with some sproink in perfect Spring weather)

Mike (6 miles)

Evanflein (4.2 feeling-hard miles in great sunny weather, with heel doing OK)

Mariposai (9 smile miles in definitely NOT Spring weather)

Yep, SNL and the other late-night comedy shows sure have a lot of material to work with these days. I still remember, when Trump announced that he was going to run for President, Jon Steward said "Thank you!!"

Good luck and have fun in Saturday's race, Tramps!

Great photo of the cuz, Steve.

Rochrunner, it would certainly seem those ice fishermen are tempting fate...

Tet, that cormorant is just drying it's wings. They do that.

Tammy, thanks for the update on your Dad, and best wishes to him for a smooth and quick recovery.

Deeze, I hope that 'hurts so good' treatment does the trick, and that you get back to good health quickly. Good reminder about stretching, rolling, etc.

Congrats on finishing the HUD report, Mariposai. I hope it is well-received.

I went for a 'hurts so good' massage last night, and she had a lot of work to do, especially following my recent falls. She did a great job, but also warned me that I'd be sore for a while. She was right, and I had a tough night's sleep. So no workout this morning - maybe later. I'm staying home today to do some prep work for our annual 'wacky winter party' on Sunday, so it'll be a busy day.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

So no workout this morning - maybe later. I'm staying home today to do some prep work for our annual 'wacky winter party' on Sunday, so it'll be a busy day.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Your "wacky winter" party sounds interesting Jay - tell us more! And I hope you don't get tired of everyone always saying "thanks" for your great recaps every day. I don't think anyone else would want this job, or would be so good at it!

Tet - I hope you got a chance to see the "People's Court" skit on SNL last week. Hilarious! Lots of material with this new administration...

No tulips or daffodils popping out of the ground here, though we're supposed to have record braking temps this weekend (thanks Erika!). It might be time to take the outside Christmas lights down   And a big ice fishing tournament that was scheduled for this weekend has been cancelled due to so much open water.

Feel better Deez.

Hey Erika - I'm not sure if I'm dealing with PF or it's something else. It's on the outside of my left heel. I always thought PF was inside, near the arch of your foot. Any ideas/suggestions? Anyway, 30 minutes of lap swimming this morning and 45 minutes of mind numbing pool running, just trying to get in a decent workout without putting too much stress on my left foot.

Have a great Friday everyone!

Dave59

After 2 consecutive days at the office it is a huge relief to be working from home today. That much exposure to people is very tiring. I feel like I am on vacation. How did I ever go into the office every day for so many years without having a mental breakdown?

This morning it was around 32° when I went out for 4.12 miles. The 10-day forecast shows that we will be in the 60's that whole time (including later today.)  The sun is even shining today.

I went to a retirement party last night. A programmer at work is retiring. I think that is a first for me. Coworkers have quit and some have even died, but I haven't seen a coworker retire.  It's funny how life goes.  At one time, there were weddings to attend, then coworkers having babies, and now it is grandchildren and retirement.

...YOU KNOW YOU"RE IN FOR A BAD DAY WHEN-

you see 3-city trucks and a BACKHOE parked

in front of your house

turns out one of the trucks

had broken down,

and they were checking for water main leaks

.WHEW..........heading out to GreenWay and PoolRun in about an hour

===========

eta-

50s here

40-min HH on GreenWay,

schools out for Flu,

so No PoolRun Today (read that ''PoolParty in progress'')

...................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

catwhoorg

Labrat

Got a headcold, so am taking a rest day.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Good day all!  Today is my rest day so it was just a cute little one miler to keep my mini streak going. These things tend to take a life on of their own.

I've a "fun" 8k trail race tomorrow. I'm nervous. The weather should be great but I really stink at trail races. I usually am last or close to it. Last month I was second last. This time I would like to move a bit up the rankings. Hopefully with the nice weather projected tomorrow I will place above the bottom ten as I hope more people show.  Lol.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

BerthaSlayer - good luck tomorrow!

Yesterday was parent-teacher conference day.  Once DS was in high school, I never had any more of those - apparently it's optional if you have concerns, but not necessary if you don't.  This time, DD's teachers emailed me and requested a conference.  So, it was me, 10 of DD's teachers (yes, they have 10 periods), the guidance counselor, and the assistant principal.  (sigh)  They all said about the same thing: DD is brilliant, outgoing, funny, energetic BUT, talks and socialized too much, has poor impulse control, has trouble adhering to the rules, and is sassy to a point just short of rudeness.  It was also brought up that she may have some ADHD.  They are working on a plan for us all to work together to be consistent in our approach to keep her from getting off track.  (You folks are probably tired of my DD updates, but I appreciate your letting me vent.)

60 time across the pool today (1500 yards), 2 miles on the TM, and about 30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Not so much in my step anymore but five spring-like

miles this morning with several more great blue herons

poised on the bridgeside buoys drying their outstretched wings.

Jay - with this month’s rainfall closing in on the historic

high (10" ), there should be plenty more wing stretching

In the next couple of weeks too.

Jeanne – I watched the SNL second presidential debate spoof

on YouTube after seeing the Judge Judy impersonator adjudicate

between President Trump and the three judge panel

from the Ninth Circuit. However, need a belly rest

before checking out the Sean Spicer one.

Just hope they keep on seeming funny.

I had no idea SNL, and probably most anything

else, was just a click away on YouTube.

Thanks again.

ps holly - I don't know what I'm talking about but a friend's son

thought to have had ADHD is dealing okay with aspergers.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks for all the well wishes!! Both my leg and my head cold held up ok for an hour on my bike computraining today!! Felt good to get a good sweat going. Went to chiro for some ART on my quad today - it really is starting to feel better, but going to make tomorrow another bike day then consider an easy run Sunday.

Jay - do tell us more about the whacky winter party!!

Bertha - good luck tomorrow!!

Jlynne - sorry about your ouchie!!
                    Holly - vent away!! Hope the school helps with a good plan - the poor impulse control and almost rude sassiness are concerning, but she is lucky to have a great mom who stays on top of these things!!

denise

Head Procrastinator

Ooops almost missed posting again.

Hurts so good massage Smile Wacky winter party sounds fun, Jay.

Holly, I was wondering about your DD since a while back I heard some scary stuff, so glad to hear an update.

Feel better with that head cold Catwhoorg.

I managed a bit over 2 miles in 25 mins today. Got waylaid gettin OTD so that was all the time I had left.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

Good luck Bertha,

Glad you are on the mend Deez,

Holly - your daughter sounds very talented and hopefully as she gets older, she'll be able to rein in that extra energy or redirect it in positive ways.

My kid - she dropped out of Robotics, you know, after we had done the fundraising from friends and family.    But I couldn't convince her to continue.  She says she will try it again next year in a different subgroup.

Erika should close her eyes, when I write that I saw some lovely little yellow crocuses on my 5 mile run today.   And it was 50 F at the start, 55 F at the end, sunny and I wore shorts!  You'd think all that would make for a great run, but it was one of the worst I've ever had.  Not sure why, but I had no energy and had to walk way more than usual.  I think it was from a stressful few days this week and not eating properly.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 10 miles today.  It was 60o!  I guess we're supposed to enjoy it while we can because, next week, it's supposed to get pretty nasty.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

evanflein

Hey Erika - I'm not sure if I'm dealing with PF or it's something else. It's on the outside of my left heel. I always thought PF was inside, near the arch of your foot. Any ideas/suggestions? Anyway, 30 minutes of lap swimming this morning and 45 minutes of mind numbing pool running, just trying to get in a decent workout without putting too much stress on my left foot.

Actually, PF can take many forms, I found out this summer/fall. I thought I had a low ankle sprain, but my podiatrist confirmed it was most likely PF and depending on where your fascia tear is, it can show up in different locations. Hallmark symptom is heel pain though, worse in the morning after your calf/achilles has been relaxed allowing the fascia to start healing in a contracted state. When you stand up, you "micro tear" it all over again which is why it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to heal. I'm considering getting the Strassburg sock even though they're pretty pricey. At this point, I'm willing to try anything non-invasive.

After yesterday's run, my foot felt progressively worse until late night I could hardly put pressure on it. This morning it was sore, and it's better this afternoon, but I learned my lesson. No more running until a) it's really better, or b) the marathon, whichever comes first. Yes, I'm still going to do it no matter what.

Holly, we had some teachers say they thought DS2 might have ADHD because he was so "active." I say it's bunk. Kids are all different, and she's just very bright and gregarious. If they want to come up with some behavioral ideas for redirecting her energy and helping her focus, great. Stay away from meds though.

Sorry about the crappy run, Enke. They happen at the most unexpected times it seems. Feel better, Deez and Catwhoorg. All you dealing with mild temperatures, enjoy them! Actually, to turn our theory on its head, we're having nice temps too and will for awhile, although below zero expected next week. That's not unusual for us. What is coming, or so I hear, is up to 18" of snow while we're in AZ. That won't be much fun to dig out from when we get back, but oh well. I'd rather be there than here in it!

35 minute of pool running today. *sigh*

mrrun

Holly, we had some teachers say they thought DS2 might have ADHD because he was so "active." I say it's bunk. Kids are all different, and she's just very bright and gregarious. If they want to come up with some behavioral ideas for redirecting her energy and helping her focus, great. Stay away from meds though.

We had the similar issues with my DS.  Fortunately, it was a few years before they started treating folks or he probably would have been given meds.  In addition to redirecting her energy, I'd question whether the school is challenging her mind enough.  She sounds very much like her mom - maybe she should take up running?

SRD as spent the day doing 'stuff' before leaving tomorrow for Brooklyn

((those with ouchies and those dealing with crises))

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Friday, all.  Heading back from a fun filled trip to NC.  I got off to a great start yesterday at 3:45am.  I had to shovel so I brought my backpack out to the car and waited to bring my suitcase off the porch until I was done.  Then got in the car and drove to the airport.  didn't realize it was still on the porch until I looked in the back seat at the parking lot.    So I had to rebook and didn't get to site until 5pm.  After everyone had left .  Oh well, I still got everything done I needed, but I did get laughed at a bunch.

Oh yeah, running.  none, as that extra hour this morning felt SO good.  We'll see what happens over the weekend.

Seems the FLA weather followed you north, Marj.  Supposed to be 60's over the weekend.

Happy racing Tramps.

forgot to mention--this is coming from the plane--pretty amazing.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.