Masters Running

40s, 50s, 60s+ On the Run - w/e 05/15 (Read 617 times)

jfa

"I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."

Jesse Owens

Hi Everyone-

Mostly missing in action last week, and this week may be the same. Changes at work and unlike Cindy, I just can't manage posting on that crackberry .Too small.

Jim- glad you're getting your planting in. Good going on your running consistancy. Those pics from last week were cool.

Leslie- Nice deal with your gift shoes. I was just talking recently about a person's house I had to make a computer call to,she was a "hoarder" big time. There was a narrow path through all the "stuff" in the house. I thought they were moving in or out and mentioned as much. The woman said "no, we collect things" It was the wife of my boss's recently deceased accountant, so I had to hold my words (and breath). She was not that old, but if your Dad went through the depression or hard times, it's more understandable.

Carol- any room for some duct tape on that fence? Good going stretching Katy's runs.

Arla- did you have a half this weekend? My friend has some kind of bird that supposedly will live to 80yo. I want to go back to Yosemite. Good luck with the ending school year.

Cindy- Happy Mom's Day! I hope all those kids take care of you well today, you deserve it. Is it snowing there

again?

Stumpy- a week of summer and now it's winter again? Hope your back heals quickly and nice 6.5 spot.

Kelly- good to see you racing again and hope you and Jack did well this weekend. Happy Mom's Day to you too!

Ev- good going on the 12 spot. Sounds like your yard work is coming to fruition.

Happy Mom's Day to Jewels and any others I may have missed.

Going through a lot of wind here this weekend. Yesterday was a sixer with the Budster, today a 16er solo. Both times out into a very strong wind , then back for a downwind cruise. I love the smells of honeysuckle, hyacinths, and lilacs in the woods this time of year.

Thanks for getting us started Joe. .  Nice quote.

Happy Moms Day to all the moms here and everyone's mothers.  Mine has been gone for almost 21 years, but she's still with me in my heart and soul every day.  She died young, but in her short 45 years, she taught me how to be a strong, caring person.  Love you and miss you, mom.

Yep, my dad is definitely depressed.  Has been for a long time.  I think, though, that he's been a repressed hoarder for years.  It was something my mom kept in check, and once she was gone . . . . I told him my main concern was what would happen to him if the house he's living in caught on fire.  He said that's why he keeps "this path" to the front door. Of course, he has tinnitus, so he sleeps with all this crap going (wave machine, etc.), so when he's asleep he can't even hear the smoke alarm.  My brother was visiting him a few months ago and accidentally set the alarm off while Dad was asleep.  Never even budged.

Good luck with your work again this next week.  Job security, right??

Jim - Keeping fingers crossed the weather continues to cooperate with you.

Ev - I miss Monk, too.  Classic, classic character.  Did you ever see "Big Night" with Tony Shaloub and Stanley Tucci?  Great movie.

The Hub and I did some much needed grocery shopping today, then I made a deal to mow if he'd put everything away.  I hate putting away groceries and he doesn't like to mow.  Perfect deal!  I ended up putting in about 3+ hours of yard work including . . . . . . weed wacking.  I don't mind weed wacking, I just hate our weed wacker.  The Hub had to restart it a couple of times after I kept cutting out on me, but I got it done.  At one point, The Hub came walking out into the backyard just as I was getting really, really mad, and he yells, "Don't throw it!"  Oooh, I was so close to chucking that thing against the fence.  Soooooo close.

Anyway, I consider it 3 hours of x-training.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi all, and a belated happy Mothers' Day to all of the moms, sons, and daughters here.  Hey....that's all of usSmile.

Leslie, your mom raised a resilient, positive, determined, compassionate girl, and I'm betting she had some of those same traits herself.  BTW - Nice cross training for you in the yard and hubby in the kitchen, and admirable restraint in not hurling the weed whacker against the nearest wall!   

Nice quote Joe, taps the soul of the runner in all of us.  Yes, you're right, I need to figure out some way to incorporate duct tape in the gardeing.  Come to think of it, the wood frame around it is bowing out in a few spots, so perhaps a little duct tape would shore that up! Nice Buddy run, followed by one for you Smile.  Hope the work settles down for you, but I trust you will get your runs in regardless.

Got in a nice 5 miler BY MYSELF on Saturday.  My hubby took the Katy for a spin, so I didn't have to feel guilty for leaving her at home.  Back to the Katy runs this morning tough.  Running through a field of flowers and grass with her was not a good thing for allergies or bug bites, but it sure was fun at the time.

Howdy to everyone else.  Been having trouble keeping up with you guys lately, but I'll try to do better this week.

Progress Trumps Pefection

Carol - Glad you got a nice "alone" run this weekend.  Although the allergy and bug issues don't sound pleasant, a romp through flowers and grass sounds like a lot of fun.  And yes, my mom had all of those traits.  She wasn't a saint, but she was a very strong woman who went through a lot because of her RA and a couple of other types of arthritis.

30 mins of cycling, followed by 45 min of core/strength.  Good thing I did yard work yesterday as it is pouring rain today (also glad I watered ).

Have a great week ~

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning Evryone!!  Hope evryone had a fabulous Mom's Day!

We had all 6 grand-kids here for the entire day! ~ did a little birthday party for one of the two year olds - mostly outdoors  &  involved some cake, balloons & new sandbox...which still has at least half of the sand still in it this morning! maybe only because Grandpa was supervising a couple of "projects" whereby one of the older kids had a "great idea" that involved moving lge amts of said sand to another locale in the yard.....  a couple of the parental units popped out during nap time to catch the new Iron Man movie, while Grandpa & I did a few house & yard chores around resting children.   & then we girls popped out in the evening for dinner & drinks @ a local brew pub/sports bar/rest that was giving out BOGO entrees & well as roses & gift cards for one free meal per month for a year for "Moms" who came in this wknd......notice there was not a run in there anywhere....well, Saturday I took Mairead out for a short, mostly off trail, so kinda slowish, 3 miler in btwn moving rose bushes & messing about in the new garden patch...putting in some rhubarb & strawberries around the perimeter...  & as soon as DH gets back from his this am, I'll pop out for one of my own... then I guess we'll keep working on the flagstone walk path & rubber mulch stuff...good thing we have plenty of sand!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - thanks from getting us started, hope that the work stuff is not too onerous for ya.

Kevin - guess you'll have to get out the mirror and try to count those stitches yourself. So for now instead of yoga and stretching you can do some quality couch-sitting, might as well enjoy it!

Leslie - didn't realize your mom was here for only a short while - but long enough to do a good job with her daughter. 

Carol - sounds like you had a nice running weekend, flowers and grass and allergies and all!

Cindy - meal cards for one free meal per month...what a score! Hope you like the place.

Hope Jim is doing well, crazy weather pattern coming through.

Haven't had a Jewels sighting in awhile...

Had a super-gentle 16 in IRC Saturday, then on mom's day a quick 5 followed by 2 hrs of cross-training in the yard (weeding - ugh - I HATE bermuda grass!), then spending some time with mom for dinner and drinks. I can't believe it's been almost a year since she went into the hospital. Had a dream that I was still unpacking her place!

Arla

Ex runner

Good Monday afternoon all,

Just got back into town after a few days down in Coconut Grove, which is down in the S. Beach, Miami area. Loads of fun. It was our yearly girls getaway with my mom and two sisters. Can't begin to explain how much fun we had. People watching topped it off. Some beautiful people in South Beach let me tell you.

Anyway, the semester is over as well and I'm down to my last 2 classes which start up again next week.

Happy Mother's Day and fabulous runs to all......doing tons of laundry so I'll check in later with all and try to catch up!

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

We decided to keep on planting in lieu of long runs yesterday with forecasts of weather coming in. Just got drizzle overnite but enough to keep us out of the field today so got to catch up on some sleep and regroup after 14 straight days. Feeling rested tonite I got in a nice 7.5 miler. Actually felt like a runner, felt like I could hold pace, just nice. Weather was just cool enough for a long sleeve tech shirt and shorts and no stinking high winds that we have had nearly every damn day.

Kevin multiple stitches owww... heal fast

Leslie accidently back over your weed eater and buy a commercial grade Stihl, problem solved.

Joe hope the training is going well for your new charge. Nice runs, I like the springs smells also mostly clover now.

Cindy sounds like you had a great mother's day and cards for free meals too!!

Carol glad you popped in. Lots of good things for dogs to smell this time of year.....

Arla hope your mom is doing well. And as for weeding glyphosate works well.........

Jewels sounds like a time in South Beach.

Kelly glad to see ya in here last week.

We probably have 2 days planting left, I think we can run(plant) in the morn with a later start but high rain chances tommorow nite so we shall see.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning People!

How you guys doing Ev????  We spent a chunk of last eve watching the news reports of all the tornadoes going on in OK!!  {{prayers for all the folks affected!}}...still watching footage on TV!

Glad to hear that you're getting close Jim.  Watching the weather forecast for this next volley...glad they've downgraded it a bit for us! As of yesterday, a couple of meteorologists were still predicting 1'-2' of SNOW for us here! But, it seems to be changing constantly so we'll see what we get out of it...so far, they're still calling for the Estes Park area to get that 1'-2'

Hey Jewels!! Congratulations on hitting the final stretch!! & your very awesome girls' getaway!

Rest well Kevin....I see lots of ppl w/ganglion cysts or lipomas...is that what you had?  

Nice runs there Joe!  I don't really like the way the blueberry puts up the posts...was hoping you could tell me a better way to do that? I'm sooo technologically challenged!

Nice solo run there Carol! & you keep up just fine

Hmmm, Leslie...a commercial grade weed eater?? or you could hire it out?

Was only able to wiggle in a 3 miler w/Mairead in btwn everything else yest..guess I could've gone back out for a 2nd round after DD got home, but was finishing up torturing the doggies...  - the Spring grooming of Pomeranians takes a few hrs! & Mairead is not diggin the shedding tool AT ALL!  Afterwards, I'm completely covered in hair & just wanted a shower & a beer!  Now, Doug got to go out for 13.1, "big hill" miles before attacking more landscaping work. (he's an animal!)

IRC here right now....unfortunately, I have sleeping toddlers that I'm in charge of here....guess I could test drive the whole dbl jogging stroller thingy later - before the icky weather rolls in...could be quite the strength training to try to run, uphill, with a 40lb stroller & 60+ lbs IN the stroller!     hmmm

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Ultrachick

Morning Everyone!

Looks like you all are well and the Moms of the group had a good day. Mine was fine. After the race on Saturday, Jack and I went to his Mom's house in CT to hang with her for the night.

We went to Bear Mtn, NY for the Northface Endurance Challenge. I did the 50k and Jack did the 50m.  The day wasn't bad-one little sprinkle and some thunder in the distance in the morning but then the sun started to come out and warm up the day. The course was mostly single track with some good stretches of loose rock to run over and over grown bushes making fallen down trees hard to see until you were right on top of them. There were some sweet stretches to of jeep trail and at the end, a section through some pine trees so it was soft and downhill to boot so it was nice cruisin'.

I finished in 6:32, placing 51st overall out of 2005 starters, 8th out of 47 women and 3rd in the 40's age group. I was around 45 min behind the first woman and about 15 min behind the first 40's woman which I'll take. This race was a total barometer for me and for how my training is going and considering I haven't done any official speed work-imagine how a little speed work could help! I hired a nutritionist to help me with eating-not just for races but for everyday. I had gained about 3-4 pounds back in February and couldn't get rid of it-with her help I've lost what I gained and a couple more so i would like to think that being a little lighter has helped improve my VO2 which means running faster with less work. Best part too-I finished before Jack! He ran the 50m race that started 2 hours earlier and I was passed by the guys who finished 3rd,4th and 5th. He finished about 10min after me in 7th place overall, first in the 50's age group and about 20 min faster than last year which he's happy with.

There's my mini race report! I got a new picture of me with Dean Karnazes to post and it was neat to chat with him for a minute.

Quads are still a little sore today but nothing too debilitating. Hope everyone has a good week!

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Queen of 3rd Place

Ask and ye shall receive...a Jewels sighting! (waves frantically). SoBe is soooooo fun, don't think there's better pretty-people-watching anywhere.

Jim - Sounds like you're pretty caught up with work and sleep! My problem is bermuda grass invading in among the other plants, so I can't use roundup (can I?).

Hope Ev is ok.

Kelly - nice work! I'm guessing you'll have a good season. Waiting on the pic with Dean - was it warm enough for his shirt to come off?

Cindy - there are a couple of women around here who run with double strollers, and they are fast! Amazing! It must be a heckuva workout!

Nice 9.1 yesterday in IRC, feeling almost completely back to normal now, and had to keep reminding myself to slow down - a good sign.

Later,

Arla

Ex runner

All is ok in my area of the state.  As most of you now know......not so fortunate in central portions of OK.  Thanks for the concern.  Please transfer your concern for me to my fellow Oklahomans.

Arla.....I can't get my bermuda to grow.  Shade is what killed mine.  Good luck!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Quick fly by to ask:

Cindy - did you know that one of your hometown homies is running in the World Championship 24hr Race this week in France? Linky .Ever meet her?

My first chance to check in here today!

Cindy - I don't even like brushing my cats, let alone dealing with hairy Poms!  And re hiring out the yard work - The Hub and I were talking about some changes I want to do to the front yard  He says, "Look, I'll hire you some young stud to help you."  Me: "Just so long as he takes his shirt off!"  He laughed.

Ev - I haven't been watching the news, so this is the first I've heard of the tornadoes.  Man, middle USA has been getting slammed by Mother Nature.  Praying things calm down soon.

Arla - Thank you for the comment re my mom.  She was pretty special.

Kelly - Woo hoo!  Nice run, girlfriend!  Looking forward to reading about the rest of your season as it plays out.

Joe. - Hope work isn't totally killing you.

Jewels - I remember the pics last year of your chicks get-away.  Sounds like you ladies had a real nice time.

I got up and fed the zoo this a.m., looked at my running clothes . . . went back to bed.  But, I promised myself I'd get my run in after work, and I did.  6 miles with about a 9:53 av pace, which included a couple of good climbs, and strong headwind coming back.  I ended up having to take off my hat 'cause the wind kept trying to blow it off.  I'm happy with the pace.  Wore my HR monitor, but didn't pay attention to that.  Just ran by feel.

Now I have a full tummy, and I'm ready to relax a bit before I hit the hay.

Later, dudes and dudettes -

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey guys/ladies,

6 easy miles for me yesterday evening.  Fairly warm but a nice cool breezed from the east felt great. 

Jewels, Coconut Grove just sounds like a great place.  It'd be kinda nice to say, "Yes, I'm from Coconut Grove."  It conjurs up fun and relaxation.  Glad you had a good time.

Carol, nice 5er for you.

Les.....haven't seen "Big Night" ......will have to watch it sometime.

Jim.....feelin' like a runner!  That's great. Your running strong these days.  Isn't the BB coming up soon?

Mtn....yes, give that double stroller a try!  Glad you were able to "wiggle" in a 3 spot.  Doug is getting in some good runs too.

Ultra....very nice racing.  3rd in AG....woohoo!  And a new pic of the Karnaz!

Arla........your good running continues.  Sounds like a nice time with Mom.

Joe....glad you're staying busy. 

Stumpy....I trust you're healing up nicely.

Hey to evryone!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM