Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 2.20.16 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I only have time for a quick walk-by this morning. As soon as she is ready, DW and I are heading out to our favorite dive for breakfast.

The reason it was so difficult to choose the beneficiary for our half this year was because there were too many good and very worthy charities. Making that decision is tough every year because we always get applications from quite a few non-profits that do a great job of providing essential services to our communities, and it is hard to choose just one.

13 RW miles at J o'clock this morning. We had a dusting of snow overnight that changed to a light, wind-driven drizzle by the time I headed out. So there were a few slick spots on the roads, but overall the footing was good. According to my Garmin, I burned a little over 1,500 calories, so I'm ready for that breakfast!

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Very close to you this morning, Jay.  Today is catch-up day, so using the empty office to (hopefully) work through the large pile on my desk.  Unfortunatley, I am connected to the internet, so all of you are to blame for me not getting started right away.

I knew that you were able to donate a lot from the race, but didn't realize it was quite that much.  Have you cosidered slpitting the pot a couple of ways?  Both would still get a pretty substantial contribution.  Just wondering.

Yes I did survive the day, although some might consider that today is not off to a great start, either (see above)  But today I have my phone AND the emergency brake didn't stick, so much better.

Yeah, Amy, what's the deal with only 4 races this weekend?

Oh well, there's that work thing I better get started on.  Good runs, walks, and races to all!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

It's a work day for me.

I did log 12.2 miles before heading to work, slow but steady. Green Bay marathon training is on schedule.

Not much else to say.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

48F

13.1 miles

1:59:59

We met the big group at P3 in Merchants Square this morning. Our group ended up being Billy, Sonya, Bob, Ralph, and I. Bill, Carol, and some new young guy chose to go straight when the rest of us ran out to the end of New Quarter park. Pamela was ahead of us for the first part but we overtook her before the first waterstop. We thought we were speeding up but, in reality, Pamela had donated a pint of blood on Thursday and was feeling the effects of that. She said she hadn't given blood in 32 years!  And she is a small person.

ANYWAY. You aren't interested in all of that. It was a beautiful morning for a run.

LaTortugita, we ran the route that we took you on so many years ago. I thought about you during the run.

Good morning Jay, Slo_, and Stumpy and all who follow.

Here's hoping the Florida Gasparilla Gallopers are doing well!  Boy I wish I was there. We had a great time when we ran Tampa in 2005. We rarely run a state twice but, the rocket scientist liked the Space Coast medal and so we did run that one over in Cocoa Beach in 2011. It was the 40th anniversary, I think. So two Florida marathons... bicoastal.

I wonder how Deez is doing?

Tonight is our running club's annual pot luck dinner. I love running with my friends but, I have to miss Bridge Night with the neighbors which is distressing to me. Too many good options. This happens almost never.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I'm sneaking in here, so don't tell Debbie.  She's feeling sorry for herself because she has to work her part-time job both, today and tomorrow...which means she will work 13 days without a day off.  She works her in-home daycare 12 hours a day during the week and her weekend waitress job is about 10 hours each day, so she has good reason to feel sorry for herself.  The problem is--she expects me to work just as hard while she's at work so she piles me up with projects to get done.  I just completed putting together a crib--a 15 minute job that I managed to turn into 1 1/2 hours.  Next is filling a gap in the foundation the exterminator found that is allowing mice in the house...I have a feeling this is going take me the rest of the day...maybe, I should just surprise her with a cat.

Okay--I have to go--I think she might have monitors scattered around the house.  See ya!

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya,

Saw henrun this am....if he and marj and Steve read this, we are thinking of going to the Falafel Inn around 1 pm.   Check it at falafelinngrill.com.  It's about a half mile from the Convention center.

Beautiful day for running.  So far, I think I am doing ok in the challenge!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

no running for me today as there is an inch of beautiful new snow on the ground up on GS-land after meetings that got me up here got over with yesterday in enough time to enjoy some ice skating with gs before it started snowing.  We' ll try out the skis after cub scouts this morning.  Not that I would be anything like that or anything but I'm real proud of him for wanting to stay out in the 25-degrees after his gloves got soaked and he continued breaking ice shelves building up along the rocky and sometimes muddy shoreline, etc.

After he washed most of the mud of his bare hands off in the cold, iced-over waters of one of the little creeks flowing into the lake, because papo didn't bring a hand towel, I said, "you can dry them off on my gloves" but he said they were "too dirty."   When I said, "no, they are not dirty any more; you just washed them," he explained, "no, your gloves are too dirty."  Now that's the kind of difference I think I like from his papo.

MikeE - just keep working, working, working like you are doing (debbie too) and look forward to when you can retire and have nothing but extra spare time to do nothing but all the working, working, working that everyone in your huge family thinks you will have nothing but extra time to do for them.  ha ha, sucker. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks, tet--you crack me up!

Another chore checked off my list....I bought a cat.  Just kidding.  I patched up the hole with some Quikrete...I hope it works.

Our mailbox is on a wooden post with 3 other mailboxes with newspaper compartments underneath.  Our newspaper box is broken and our mailbox is rusted and ugly...so...I'm going to go take care of that.  I don't really know why I'm building a new newspaper box, though...we don't get the newspaper.  I suppose it would look stupid to have newspaper boxes under only 3 of the 4 mailboxes, though.  Come to think of it...I don't think my neighbors get newspapers, either...maybe I should just take all the newspaper boxes off.

Okay--I'd better get going--I just know I'm being watched.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy!

Rose - my 13yo DD asked me yesterday if she could give blood to earn extra money because someone told her she could get $50/pint.  I expect you know what my answer was....

Mike - I like the cat idea...

Tammy - that is a fine son you have there.  Would you like a daughter to challenge you a bit?  You could borrow mine for a short time, just to give you some perspective...

Aamos - you go girl!

Today was an unheard-of 50 degrees when I woke up this morning.  Knowing the day was forecast to be unseasonably beautiful, I did my LR today - 18 miles on the bike path by the river.  I can tell how out of shape I am by how exhausted I am now, but I couldn't resist.

I saw my running friend Terry on the path by the river.  His wife recently had a stroke at only 57 years old and she has been in a nursing home for the last couple of months. They found out after she had the stroke that her medical insurance had lapsed last summer when she went to working part-time.  My heart goes out to them both.

Now I'm off to take DD to church - it's her weekend to dance for the younger services.

Enjoy the gift, folks....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

You guys are a funny bunch. I like Mike's cat idea too, but not so sure Debbie would. And, he could get a cat like mine who wants nothing to do with mice. Well, maybe a younger cat would. And yes Mike, I'm sure she has monitors! She does run a daycare, after all!

I could see voting for David, too. That kid is wonderful and I really wish he was still running! I'm sure he'll excel at tennis, too.

Tet, you're in Juneau again? Swing by the capitol and smack some of those pinheaded legislators around for me, will ya? Our lovely (not) Tammie Wilson is bound and determined to cut the university's funding off at the knees. That woman is a menace to anything worth having in a state. Sounds like you're having fun with your GS though, so maybe just keep doing that. And I never thought about lawyers that way... as not having to swear to tell the truth, but everyone else in the court does. Hmmm....

Hey Slo, do you have a streak goal in mind? I think Perchcreek started out thinking hey, let's see how far I can take this and he's over 2,000 days now. I guess I should start thinking of an actual plan for Green Bay. I keep thinking I can do that as it gets closer.

Leslie, that is so sad, she was so young! Makes you wonder if there was some other underlying issue. So sorry for your family's loss.

Another ^5 to Enke, I'm so happy for you! Good things come to those who wait, right?

No marathon for Amy this weekend, but 4 races? I saw two today, but missed tomorrow's adventure. Have fun with Marj and Henry... and SteveP?

Hope your back is ok, Holly. That's a good long run! And your daughter may drive you nuts now, but I'm sure she'll turn out just fine. It's her job to drive her mom crazy at this age, you know.

We never should have doubted that TomS would be anything but consistent in his recovery and walking.

Good choice for the charity, Jay. People in need can get by without lots of things, but they have to eat. Malnutrition and hunger in this country is a bigger problem than most people realize.

Good hockey game last night against Bowling Green. We won with a great shot with 8.8 seconds left in the game. Yay! Today is a little warmer than yesterday, so I'll get in some miles somewhere. Need to go shopping, too. And do stuff around the house. Looks like the cats have been in charge here a little too long.

mrrun

Hiya,

Saw henrun this am....if he and marj and Steve read this, we are thinking of going to the Falafel Inn around 1 pm.   Check it at falafelinngrill.com.  It's about a half mile from the Convention center.

Beautiful day for running.  So far, I think I am doing ok in the challenge!

and here's the picture from falafel inn aamos &DH, stevep and DW, and us  3 of us ran 15K only while aamos ran 15K and 5K. tomorrow aamos runs half & 8k and her DH runs 8k.  Henrun and I are off to the beach!

The cats are always in charge around here.  I've basically given up on pretending the humans own the place.

Speaking of cats - unfortunately, Wilson is a good birder.  You wouldn't think a cat with his girth could move so fast, but he does.

Mike - I don't think you and Debbie work enough.  One of you needs to get another job. 

Holly - I got a chuckle out of your willingness to send your daughter to Tammy for awhile. 

This week I've been telling my coach how great I'm feeling.  Then today I went out and ran 4 miles.  Wasn't bad, but my legs were like, "Hey lady.  We're still tired!  Don't even think of motoring up that hill any faster than a nice walking pace."  I relented.

Yesterday I finally posted my dad's vehicle for sale on FB.  Within half an hour, a friend messaged me and said she was interested.  She and her husband showed up this morning, and it ends up her husband, Jorgen, is the same Jorgen my dad worked with so many years and talked so often about, but I never knew he was Ann's husband.  And she had no idea until her husband said something when they arrived that my dad was the "Jim" who's memorial service he attended at the hospital.  So someone who knew my dad and who my dad liked ended up with his 1993 Ford Explorer that he loved so much.  My heart is happy that someone special now has Dad's car, but I couldn't help crying a little bit as they drove away.  Silly, I know, but still . . . . .  It will be weird not having it sit in front of my house, where it's been for the last 8 months.  I hope Jorgen enjoys it as much as my dad did.

Okay - Off to do transcription ~~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Holly, why am I not surprised your daughter came up with the idea of donating blood to make money?  marj, I like the picture of you, henrun, Steve, Michelle, Aamos, and MrAamos.  Having met 3 of the 6 in person and knowing the others through RA, I'm sure it was an enjoyable time.  fatozzig, what a neat story about your father's car.

Nice long runs for Jay, Slo, and RCG.

This morning, I did my first race as a walker.  It was a 5K that I've done many times as a runner.  It was a nice day, mid 40s and a little wind.  I had no idea what to expect but just tried to walk briskly and take what happened.  It wasn't too bad.  My GPS gave me a time of 39:39, distance of 3.06 miles, and a pace of 12:58.  My splits were 13:12, 13:01, 12:46, and a pace of 11:40 for the last .06 mile.  They didn't do age groups in the walk but I was 5/10 out of the men and 7/28 OA. I also beat 27 of the 142 registered as runners.  After the awards and visiting, I walked another 1.94 miles to give me 5 for the day.  I did that at a more sedate 14:51 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Congratulations Tom!  Another month to add to your streak!

Wow, Leslie--that is so cool about your dad's car going to his friend.  I choked up a little bit, myself...but don't tell any of the guys on here.

Great picture, Marge!  I'm glad you guys are all having fun.

Well...the mailbox and newspaper box are all done...man, the day flew by so fast.  I think it's time for a run.

Mariposai

What a great picture of the RA family meeting.

Leslie, that is a very good story.

TomS, way to go.

Well, it is absolutely gorgeous here today. I am working all day, but very, very happy with some occasional rays of sunshine coming my way.

7 smile miles for me today. Tomorrow is my last longish run before marathon.

Cheers to all. Ohhh, the smile miles were just wonderful.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard