Masters Running

Baystate Marathon---a master's PR at two distances, road rash and a grin (Read 568 times)

Baystate Marathon Lowell, MA (USATF Grand Prix series race and New England Marathon Championship) 32F at the start, partly cloudy and 10mph Northeast winds----45F at finish with bright sun---wind on the course gusted to 25mph at times Overall male winner: Matt Pelletier 29 yrs. old—2:21 (Warwick, RI) Overall female winner: Christy Mae Carrera 33 yrs. old—2:51 (Hudson, MA) CNYrunner: 3:22:41 Masters PR by 4 minutes (Thanks Tramps!) and closing the gap each time with my all time PR of 3:04 set 20 years ago today. I was 15/155 in the 40-49 age group and 261 out of 1189. The team I ran for: The Greater Springfield Harriers came in second out of 12 women’s open teams with a combined 9:23 (3:00:04 by a 46 yr old, 3:00:12 by her 26 yr. old daughter and then me) The Central Mass Striders won with a combined 9:08 and even if I had stayed on pace (see below) we would have placed second as they had a 3:01, 3:02 and 3:04 as well as guys on bikes giving out Gatorade and their splits and the like. We Western Massers are a bit more rag-tag. We would have won the masters division though. That’s $500 for the team--bringing my racing earnings to a whopping $750 for 2008---better keep the day job! http://www.coolrunning.com/results/08/ma/Oct19_20thAn_set1.shtml http://www.coolrunning.com/results/08/ma/Oct19_20thAn_set4.shtml Race Details: The long version This is my 32nd year of running and my 21st year of running marathons. I have run marathons over a range of terrains and times (3:04---4:16) and each one has been amazing in various ways. Today’s marathon marked a running anniversary of sorts for me as it was 20 years ago in October when I ran a 3:04 (this was B-M---before motherhood, mortgage and marriage) My goals for today: 3:15-----dream goal 3:20-----happy goal and a pace I have been hitting consistently in workouts 3:25----faster than my most recent marathon and also a happy race I hit the hay on Saturday night at 9 PM and was sound asleep until about 3:30 AM. I awoke to news that the Red Sox had won and the weather forecast had not changed-----good news and enough reason to get out of bed since the sleep portion of the training had reached its conclusion. I made some coffee and Mr. CNYrunner got up soon after to make me some homemade oatmeal laced with maple syrup. I topped that off with a banana and waited for Iron J to pick me up at 5 AM for the almost 2 hour drive to Lowell, MA. I was nervous, but also excited to see what I could do. I pushed the mileage up in this training cycle to 80 plus for several weeks and I was feeling strong. I still did the same regimen of 3x week core and stability work and also added some yoga. I was quietly hoping for a great day. It was 30F when we left Northampton and I was wrapped in fleece and my son’s old hockey warm-ups that have a fleece lining. A long red scarf that I made in 4-H when I was 12 toped off my lovely pre-race ensemble. It’s just not about the fashion when it’s cold and the wind is blowing (at least not the throw-away layer). Iron J was planning to run to mile 14 and then drop-out and head over to mile 22 and run me in to the finish. We have been chasing 3:15 as our shared dream-time. She hit a 3:13 last weekend at Hartford. We got to Lowell in fine time and met up with Dr. B. our 58 year-old retired pediatrician friend who was hoping for a 3:45 and a BQ. He got it with a 3:44!!! We stretched for a bit at a hotel near the start area and then braved the cold and wind. The Baystate marathon was founded in 1990 or thereabouts by none other than Mr. Cool Running, Dave Camire. He is no longer the race director, but this race has become a popular one for folks in search of a BQ. It’s flat and a two-loop course through the main areas of Lowell and over the river a couple times. This year it was also the New England marathon championship, so the field was fast. The half and full marathon start off near one another and run together for the first few miles. We milled about in the start area and reluctantly stripped down to what we could stand to race in with the cold wind and 33F temps. I was up near the front and was over the line in just a few seconds. Iron J was right there with me and we ran 7:15-7:16 pace together and very steadily. I felt anxious about that, but really good and steady too. Yes, it was faster than 3:15 pace and Yes, I know I was risking it. I also decided to go for it. We were in a pack and running well. Iron J started to fade a bit at about 10 miles and kept yelling at me to go for it. Here are the miles I remember: (note: I memorize where I need to be at 5 mile intervals and I had been chanting 37, 1:14, 1:51, 2:28, 3:06 and 3:15 to myself for months now----all of a sudden the chant changed….. Mile 1: 7:19------whoa….okay, systems okay, not breathless, see what happens Mile 5: 35:59----hmmmm, feel smooth and tossed my wool cap 10k: 44:01--------still feel fine and found my stride---elbows in, run tall, quick feet Mile 10: 1:12:03-----yowsa----what the $$%%## am I doing here, feeling good, smiling here as I thought of mainerunnah and the feeling that this was a good day Half-marathon: 1:34:09----Masters PR for this----my all time PR is 1:32----yowsa again----still feel good, we loop past the finishing half-marathoners here and head back out on the second loop. Wind is picking up---where’s a tall and broad person when you need one! Mile 15: 1:48:32----this is blowing my mind and I am also feeling fatigued, yet still holding form. I over-stride and slouch when I am tired, but I was staying tall ( as any 5’ 2” person can get) and my quads were great---calves were hurting----it was almost too flat Mile 20: 2:25:01---right on 3:10 pace still and the 3:10 group is beginning to string out a bit here. I wasn’t intentionally running with the pace group, but since it’s a key BQ threshold for men of a certain young age it was a kick to stick with them. There were several masters women in there too. Mile 22: Iron J is right there running in place to stay warm and run me home-----“K-Run!!” she yells----you are rocking it come on let’s rock this Mother out. She is the best and thank goodness she was there since as we hit about 22.5----Blammo!!!! I was moving over to the very right of the road to toss my empty gel packet and I slipped or tripped, Iron J thinks it was a half full gel pack on the ground that got me…I went down SO fast---no reflexes at this point in the race----and fell over the curb smack onto my chin and right shoulder---I tried to roll, but it happened so fast. I smacked both knees as well. I was stunned a bit and Iron J stooped over me as I felt my jaw Yeah, yeah, the jokes about taking it on the chin have been thoroughly exercised since I got through the finish…..I have a nice patch of road rash on my chin and knees as well as some nice streaks of blue, purple and green blossoming on my chin and shoulder. I sent photos to Holly and she may post them later, Looks like chin acne or something. That will go nicely with my business suit tomorrow as I board a plane. Miles 23-26.2----went by in a blur and also took forever. I broke my jaw in a car accident 30 years ago, so I was a bit freaked, but all seems fine. I am only 106 pounds, but I fell hard and didn’t get my hands down in time. I was mad though and was no way going to stop there. I lost several minutes as Iron J poured water on my wounds and then I popped up and we made it back to the finish at LeLacheur Park where the Lowell Spinners play. The last bit of the race takes you around the baseball diamond and that’s kind of fun. My husband and son were up in the stands shouting my name in the last .2 and my 3.5 year-old nephew Charlie raced toward me and flung his little body into my now frozen and stiff legs. I got my mylar sheet and joined the sea of baked potatoes as we marched through the food line (lots of fruit, chips, stew, water, hot chocolate, etc). So-----now several hours later as I sit here and reflect, I am thrilled that I could hold 7:15 pace for so long and believe I could have come awfully close to a 3:10. I am upset that I fell, but things happen and I don’t know that if I had those seconds back that I wouldn’t have stepped on a gel pack. Iron J was more upset and cried at first, because she thought I was seriously hurt. I am fine. My legs are tired, but I don’t have any blisters, my calves are sore, but not in real pain and all is well (especially after some homemade veggie pizza and a glass of red wine. The chocolate ice cream helped too! I feel surprisingly good actually and gives me a plan for the next one! I don’t think I like really flat courses. I am a hill runner and staying focused on long stretches into the wind is tough. Not my thing. Fashion: red long sleeved running top, black shorts, black gloves, red and white Nike structure triax trainers---3 weeks old Fuel: half of a gel pack at every 5 miles (tangerine flavored), water at every stop, two s-caps at miles 8, 12, 16, and 20 Thanks for reading. Your well wishes and predictions inspired me. So, do I owe you fudge now Tramps?! Next up after some rest and recovery, some local races and then Boston marathon 2009---3:18-3:20 or bust! Karin
      Karin you are AMAZING!!! you ran an incredible race and kept going with true gut after that fall -- i hope you aren't hurting more as you board that plane tomorrow!! CONGRATULATIONS on a great race!! hope to meet up with you again one of these day!!

denise

Karin you're an AWESOME runner!!! I'm glad the fall didn't totally ruin your day, that's the way to get back up & go Smile Battle scars are a great conversion piece Cool

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

nowor

CNY, WOW! You had a perfect run and then boom...but popped up and pulled out a PR. Your RR has my heart pounding. Surely you'll catch that 3:10 soon. Looking forward to more posts from you. Your positive attitude...even when down...is so inspiring. Heal well.
            What grace, to write such a report, and not be bitter. We all know that anything can happen on race day, but a fall like that....of course our karin would get up and flash in with a master's PR, and CONGRATS! on that. I agree, flat courses are tough--I have skipped in some flat races at times, just to use different muscles (ok, they were small races, with not a lot of spectators). Hold onto your goal--you have a 3:15 in you, I know it. I've been waiting for this and checking in for it--my only post all day--as you know, it's 1-1 Sox and I gotta get back there. I liked the red scarf part, too. grins and another glass of wine! most affectionately, A
            Masters 2000 miles

Renee the dog

You are a RUNNING GODDESS. And probably the toughest people Wink I "know." Can't say I know many people who could bounce their face of the pavement after mi 22 and finish with a killer time like that!!! What a report! Such a fantastic job. Congratulations! P.S. My official time isn't up. So I promise, I will do a report tomorrow, which will not be nearly as exciting as yours has been.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

wildchild

Carolyn

Great run and exciting report! Tramps just about nailed your time - he was only off by 4 seconds! Falling hard is always kind of a freaky experience, and you find yourself lying on the ground thinking, WTF??? Glad you're not hurt badly, and could finish the race in an awesome time. Hope Holly posts the picture!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Ah Super-K, what can I say? You're simply awesome. Congrats on your new master's PR. You're not done yet girl.

#artbydmcbride

Congratulations! Great job! Big grin

Runners run

War wounds and everything! Very, very cool. Grrrr, people who toss their Gu packet on the road!
                      TammyinGP

That is unbelievable Karin! Well, not unbelievable for you. You are a runnning machine! Congratulations!

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

me too, especially if you're not hurtin' so much not to get on the plane the next day. ouch.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Karin, you are such an inspiration to me. Thanks for running, for posting and for sharing this amazing story. I am so proud of you sistah...you are one of the kind.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Ok, I'm going to call you Iron K... and hold you to that 3:18 at Boston!!! Too bad about the fall... but hey, maybe that just means your best is yet to come! Hope I get to see you at NYC, you speed demon, you!
                                HM PR on your way to a Marathon PR.......great going. Great RR. Congratulations!