Masters Running

My new running quilt (Read 273 times)

King of PhotoShop

"Over my dead body," said the Saint when I told her I was going to send a bunch of my race t-shirts to some company and have a quilt made from them. You see the ads for these things all the time at Expos or in running publications. "I can make one of those for you myself instead of spending all that money." Of course I was thrilled about this because she really knows fabric and technique and has a good eye for things like this so I knew it would be a good job.

Step one was to choose the shirts. I didn't want to have all marathons. So we included some races we did together that had some memories for us. We also looked at the colors of the shirts, and included some odd races were not great efforts but were enormous fun, such as my Club's "Hound Dog Hustle."

I included 4 Boston Marathon shirts but didn't want the quilt to be all about that, so we agreed to put 3 shirts into one panel, which worked out well.  The entire quilt reflects 404 miles of races.

The Saint then chose black as the background color and laid the shirts out on the bed, so we could see how the colors would look in different arrangements.

Then she cut the shirts up and put a backing on them, and then from there put the entire design on the quilt fabric. She located a guy who knew how to do the machine quilting (that jigsaw pattern you see on many quilts) and he did a superb job of matching thread colors so that the threads didn't contrast with the shirt colors. He also didn't run any thread through the primary logo or design on the shirts.

When it came back, she hand-stitched the borders and made a series of loops at the back on top so the quilt could be hung on a wall, where it is now in my office. It is large enough to fit on a double bed and one day we will hand it down to the boys and it will probably end up as a coverlet on a guest room bed one day.

I am very proud of her and her work. Here is a picture we took of it from last night. She and Prime Rib are holding it up from behind:

Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

What a stunning tribute, as well as a very handsome quilt - the Saint is indeed talented.  Fabulous work!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Beautiful!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

I love it! That is one beautiful piece... Good work, Saint! He better be extra nice to you for a loooong time!
            That is awesome!  What a great idea!!

#artbydmcbride

I am excited to see that the Long Beach marathon made the cut!  That is one marathon no one should miss!  Smile

Excellent job The Saint!  You are very talented.

Runners run

coastwalker

So, the Saint does all that gorgeous work, and you make her stand behind the quilt???

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

That is really very, very KEWL!    Such nice work and a treasure for many years to come....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's beautiful! 

Mariposai

The Saint is one talented lady. Wow, what a great piece of art.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Very cool!!  Love the Hound Dog Hustle T-shirt.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Renee the dog

I suppose that's a better idea than painting and cleaning in them...

Really turned out neat!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Henrun

Very nice work. I had running quilts made (through one of those mail order services) for my grandsons 10 years ago. They outgrew them and now they're hanging on their bedroom walls as art. Great memories!
                              Very, very cool!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Beautiful!!

Congratulations to the one who collected all those shirts and to the one who put them all together so skillfully.

Now I'm inspired!!!

Francesca