Masters Running

Valentine's Day, 2.14.17 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone, and Happy Valentine's Day!

Yesterday’s excellent workouts:
    Tramps (overdressed for 5 miles)
    BerthaSlayer (2 mile recovery run in beautiful weather)
    Henry (3 miles of walking an jogging and having a nice chat with a Brazilian gentleman)
    Holly (44 pool widths or 1,100 yards)
    Catwhoorg (usual 6 miles at lunchtime - legs never warmed up)
    C-R (Good-feeling, lunchtime 5 miles)
    Steve (4 mile hike in a new park, tripping in underbrush with cacti and mosquitoes)
    Rochrunner (4 late afternoon, overdressed miles at 10+ pace, and home in time for shower and dinner)
    Spacityrunner (2.6 cool and hilly miles at work)
    Evanflein (31 minutes of pool running, with the last 10 next to Mr. Flail & Splash)
    Mike (8 miles, including 4 X 1200 intervals, in shorts!)

Great photo, Lori!

Sorry about the pain in the butt, Fatozzig. Glad you found the donut. Good idea to dial back for a bit.

Not so bad to rest those sore legs, Tammy.

Dave, I also wonder sometimes if I should answer med surveys honestly or ‘be creative.’ But I’m to chicken, and so I tell the truth. Maybe you should accept Tet’s offer to let him complete the forms for you.

Steve, everyone likes you, even strangers!

I had scheduled and then postponed (because of the blizzardous weather forecast) a meeting in the borrowed conference room of a local bank for yesterday morning. But I went anyway, just in case someone didn’t get the message and showed up. Well, even the bank employees weren’t there, so I was doubly glad that the meeting was postponed! Of course, we all could have gone to the coffee shop across the street…

I managed to get in 1.7 miles yesterday, not at my usual time, and so it was very discombobulating.

I got out at the usual time this morning, and went 3.4 miles in 20F temps. The roads were a blend of packed snow, crunchy snow, and sheet ice. Even with my Yaks on, the sheet ice was dang slippery. I went down again this morning, this time landing on my right elbow and shoulder blade. I kept going (staying as far off the ice as I could) 'cause I figured the blood circulation would help start the healing process. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't, but I'm going to be sore today, even with the ibu I took. And, of course, we're getting cases of toothbrushes delivered today and I'll need to help unload them and move them around. Life sure is an adventure!

Have a greta Valentine's Day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

4 miles at the local park this morning.

I enjoy complaining about work, but I don't have to participate in the surveys and screenings.There are incentives, but nothing as harsh as Holly needing to do it to lower insurance premiums. We get points for it, and for other stuff.  I linked my Garmin account to our Wellness site and I get 1 point for every 30 minutes of running.  You can buy stuff with the points.  Everything from a coffee mug to a flat screen TV.  I am not sure how many years it would take to get enough points for a TV.  There are group walks, webinars, workshops, etc. with points available. I'm looking for a way to hack the system and load up my points... 

So Berthaslayer and Rochrunner are practically neighbors. Who knew?

I grew up across the river from Canada and made many trips from Port Huron to Niagara Falls when we lived in Michigan.  I love that area. Every little town has their own Tim Hortons.  That area is definitely on our list of possible places to retire to. I've never looked into what it would take to do legally, but Canada seems really open to illegal immigration at the moment so I guess we could just drive over and never come back.  Currently, retiring to the Smokeys in Tennessee is at the top of the list.  It's all pie in the sky dreaming for now anyway,

I sure hope my office doesn't make any medical decisions based on the blood pressure readings at the recent screening.  I drove an hour to work, checked my email to see how many urgent messages I had, walked up a couple flights of stairs, and stood in line before having my blood pressure checked by a machine.  It was 140/87.  Yesterday in the doctor's office it was 120/80.

Head Procrastinator

Hi RA people, Love for VDAY. I can't seem to manage to keep up here just a flyby.

First run for me since last Wednesday, I won't run inside and weather/icy conditions prevented running outside.

30 mins, 28° with little wind.

Enjoy the day!

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
        Tramps

Jay—ouch. Watch yourself on those nasty roads.

Leslie—appropriate technology.

Lori—nice winter pic.  You must get some wind coming off that water.

Dave—don’t know if you saw this in the Fall.  It made me laugh.

Hi Hally!

Wellness efforts….My school began promoting wellness programs a couple of years ago with a contest to log cardio activities for two months.  There was an app to link to and you got points for time/miles, etc.  About 80 people participated and the prize was a Fitbit.  I was trying to get colleagues to be more active so I said I’d participate if they did. At the time, I happened to be hitting peak mileage in training for a marathon.  I gave one of them the Fitbit.

Awesome trail run this morning. One of those random, feel good, perfect temps (33F), shorts, good music, lots of energy, sort of runs.  I did take a tumble in an area where a heavy layer of leaves was hiding some branches that I tripped on.  However, the leaves were so thick that when I hit the ground it felt like jumping on couch cushions! So it’s all good.

Be safe. Be kind.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Happy Valentines Day

Today was supposed to be 8 hilly miles with a lot of Bertha repeats but alas hubby had to bring van in to get brakes fixed (those tend to be important) so I had to stick to my flat neighbourhood. But the sun was shining bright and that made for a nice happy run. I will try to tackle the hill on Thursday.

It seems getting old can suck. Since returning from my trip my lower back has been hurting (not when I run but when I get up from sitting) and I am no longer as bendy as I was prior to the trip and trust me when I say I was NOT all that bendy before. I return to work tonight so am hoping that I can last the evening without too much discomfort. Going to see my RMT tomorrow.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

...dave//.......TheSmokies is a Great Place to Visit but the weather there is a wee bit BIZZARE

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=TNZ072

I'll buy you a Beer when you get settled in

==========

........ironically

I went BACK to Knocksville

since schools were closed due to Flu, to keep Claire

and

you'll never guess what my Lovely GranDaughter gave me

..........but I digress......

......30-min HH on GreenWay in SLEET>>>>>well, it seemed like a Good Idea at the time

also

30-min HH yesterday,

but don't feel well enough to hit the pool yet

...........good running to the rest of ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

catwhoorg

Labrat

A much better 6 today.

About 2 min faster than yesterday for a similar effort, by "feel" anyway.

For wellness efforts, the company puts money into a HRA for doing certain things.

Annual visit, biometric screening, flu shot, mammogram/gyn visit for the ladies.

Thats "free" to us money, which can rollover from year to year upto a limit.

This year they actually put up the deductible a bit, by the same as the annual visit HRA boost.

So that basically becomes a wash, assuming you actually go get an annual.

they also get the aggregated data for more targeted programs

Interestingly they don't charge premiums for smokers, despite all the evidence of them being an increased cost.

Couldn't have anything to do with the senior HR guys being smokers could it ?  [/sarcasm]

They also cover $15/month towards gym membership, but sadly not running shoes or races fees.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Quick flyby, I'll go back and read the "happenings" later.

Nothing, nada . . . although I had set my alarm for 5:30.  I think I had some grand illusion I'd get up and do some upper body and core workouts.  Yeah, that didn't happen.  I'll do some of that after work.

My buddy, Karen, is the office manager for an orthopedist medical practice.  She made an appointment for me to see one of the docs on Thursday at 2:15 since I'll be up there.  I don't even care if insurance covers this, if they can help my issue, I'll be one happy camper!  Thankfully, I'm a passenger, so I can adjust my butt as necessary to try and be comfortable for the 8-hr drive.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I've never looked into what it would take to do legally, but Canada seems really open to illegal immigration at the moment so I guess we could just drive over and never come back.  

Jay and Tramps - bummer about the tumbles, but at least Tramps had some leaves to fall on.  Ice is much more painful

TomWhite - sharing is caring....

DD's basketball season just ended, and now she has decided to go out for the school lacrosse team as her spring sport.  I have never watched a lacrosse game, but it sounds a bit rough-and-tumble, which I think DD will really enjoy.

6 miles for me on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

leslie - my 2-month hiatus on either side of the new year

seems to have lost Ilene's Intrepid racing thread but

what distance are you doing at Hagg Lake,  25K or 50K?

Long way to drive for only 25K, . . . . or even 50K.

Hope you don't have to drive by the Oronoco Dam.

With a lot of leaky dams in Washington state,

it was the lead news story yesterday.

pretty scary.

Five miles under a thin cloud cover that was spreading

like a wildfire blaze of rose-pink rays over the whole sky,

even seeming to dip down to ground level.

No robins along the way this morning

but first one in the feeder beforehand.

Great blue herons on seven of the ~12 orange

barrier buoys along the bridge, two on one of them.

First daisies (lots) and first dandelion (one)

on yesterday's return.

[Photo]

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Rochrunner I live in Windsor. Smile  The riverfront is one of my favourite places to run other than on Bertha (a 2 minute drive from the Ambassador Bridge)

Great! Nice to know that I've got a "southern" neighbor! (For those who don't know, Windsor, Ontario is actually directly south of Detroit.) What I really miss are the days before 9/11 when we could easily go back and forth by just taking the bridge or tunnel and answering a couple of basic questions -- not even any i.d. required, let alone a passport.

Today was a repeat of yesterday, but only half the distance. I got home when it was still in the mid-40s, dressed slightly more appropriately than yesterday, and drove the car to drop it off at a nearby body shop for some minor touch-up work. The shop happens to be very close to where the Clinton River Trail crosses at my usual turnaround point, so I ran back home that way for 2.1 miles at a decent 10+ pace. It was much windier today, but it was behind me for the majority of the way (an advantage of a point-to-point route).

Need some opinions: We're redoing our kitchen counter-top and are really going back and forth about the sink. We can see the advantages of a large single bowl -- which is in style apparently -- but also see a lot of disadvantages. Mainly, we fix all of our meals at home and mostly from basic ingredients. That means that we peel and chop a lot of fruits and vegetables, drain cans of beans, etc. With our current double sink it is nice to contain the mess to just one side, while the other side is available for stacking utensils to wash and so on. They do have double sinks with low center dividers, but we haven't found any that will fit the cabinet size that we have to work with. Any comments based on your experience, especially comparing the two types?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

No run for me today--which is good because it is really windy out there.

Doug--I would not get a single bowl just because it might be "in style".  I would get what works for you and what you like.  That probably did you no good, but I thought I'd give my opinion.

Okay--gotta go--Debbie is calling me to go out to eat...is this some special day, or something?  I know it's not her birthday--we dealt with that last month.  See ya!

TammyinGP

Doug, I really like the sink we have and it's functional for us. it has the larger, deep sink, but then has a smaller, shallower bowl also, which is great for either just handwashing a few small items, or for food prep stuff like you mentioned. For how we function in the kitchen, it's what works best for us. fwiw.

so nice out today, sunny and almost 60. and rains start tomorrow for who knows how long. so i'm leaving work a bit early so I can get in a run.

Tammy

evanflein

Doug, I was going to suggest what Tammy did for a compromise. We have two evenly sized deep sinks with a tall "gooseneck" type faucet. I love it. There's no way I could get by with just one sink for the very reason you state, although we almost went with what Tammy has. Ditto what Mike said about go with what you want/need/like and to heck with what's in style at the moment. For all you know, by the time you go to sell the house, those sinks will be not so in style. In the kitchen, I say function overrides form (i.e. style).

Holly, I get she'd like that. And you guys are lucky she has so many things to choose from.

Well I went to the gym, did 32 minutes on the elliptical (how does twocat do an hour on that thing? what resistance are you using?), then tried a mile run on the 200 meter track. Besides not liking the tight corners (which is why I don't run on this track more), the foot was ok and none the worse for wear afterwards. Feeling optimistic!

Then I went to the dentist and got my new tooth! After almost a year of having nothing there but a space or a post, it's nice to have a tooth again! Feels like someone screwed something into my head with a torque wrench. Oh, wait, they did!

mrrun

Roch - when we renovated we went from double to single sink and prefer the single.  however, we have minimal space and therefore more limitations then most others.  i do a fair amount of cooking at my brother & SIL and they have the double and i feel cramped in space.

Hi Hally and everyone else!

Ran this morning as it was our last full day here and my aches came back and said hi, remember me?  i haven't done stretches, so reality will have to again, but there was no way i wasn't running.  we went to design district where they had previews of art that will be auctioned on the w/e - various types of pop art that were quite amusing and non-political.  the gallery recommended an awesome lunch place a few blocks away, so that was our treat.

have a great evening,

marj