Masters Running

Slip Sliding into Tuesday, February 23 (Read 580 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yep, about 30 feet out of the drive way - schawing ......down and out on the ice.   It was really fairly graceful - like sliding into home plate and getting the winning run as Brinkley ran over to lick me and say "come on, quit goofing off, we need to run!"

The rest of the 4 miles were upright - 10:47 / 10:15 / 9:59 / 10:31 - where the 9:59 came from I do not know as we weren't chasing any critters.  

Oh, and it is official - we'll be having puppies around March 25th.   Yea!!!

Happy Twosday!!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good Morning Mary,  Nice slide that's why you're such a good lead off hitter for us Glad you're not injuried

Nice photos from Craneium and Holly yesterday.  I miss snowman building & sled riding, I need to borrow some kids until I can get some grandkids. 

Perch seems like the knee is all well

Thanks to the Seattle folks for the help. 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Come on Mary.  Quit goofing off.

I started running this morning and the legs felt like lead.  Took it nice and easy, and all of a sudden around mile 3 or so, the legs loosened right up and felt great after that.  4 slow, easy miles at 9:37 pace.

I've been taking some voice lessons the past few weeks instead of the usual guitar lessons, working on my untrained tenor voice a little.  I've never been comfortable at or above a G or so.  My teacher thinks my range should be up to about B flat or so.  He says it's really a matter of the amount of air you use and that the neck/throat needs to be free of tension.  Trying.  The vocal chords are feeling it a little.

Maybe, if things work out as hoped, I'll be having lunch today with Erika's DH.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Cograts on the puppies, Mary.  Hope you're not too sore from the fall.

I ran 13k on the treadmill this morning in Ashtom on Lyne, England.  Our flight into Manchester, UK was rerouted when they closed the Manchester airport (for 3 cm of snow!).  We ended up in Prestwyck, Scotland (an answer to an Elvis trivia question).  Waited 3 hours on the tarmac - but I'm not complaining.

happy Tuesday all.

Morning, gang!

Mary - Yeah, Hailey - my congratulations to the expectant mother!  Do you have a head count??  How about some leftover cake?? That looked scrumptious!

Erika - 22 pound cat??  I wouldn't want to get between your kitty and the food bowl.

dg - hope our brains are having a good time somewhere together.  DH and I were walking into the gym last week when it dawned on him that he forgot his office clothes - he had to drive home after the workout.  I chuckled since it wasn't my brain fart for a change.

Cranenium - beautiful running scenery and shorts running weather - I'm totally jealous.

SteveP - what leftovers??  Tag, the caped canine, is foiled by a little kitty?? 

66 minutes on the elliptical this morning.  Hopefully yoga won't be canceled today.

The Hyannis half marathon in Mass is this weekend.  DH and I are registered, but I had ruled out the possibility of participating - DH has been pushing a little.  I'm thinking about walking it - still have time to make up my mind one way or the other.  There's a full marathon as well - 2 loop course - so the course will be open 6 hours.  I can always quit if I get painful. 

I was happy to see the newbie pair of USA ice dancers take the silver medal.  I won't get to see their program until this evening - if the stupid DVR recorded it.  The coverage has been going well over the allotted time, so we've missed the last performances of several events - grrrrr. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

I’m still feeling a little bloated from all the food and drink on yesterday’s thread.

Mary’s just sitting around on the ice this morning, eh? 

Sue’s mention of a half reminds me: we’re signed up for a local half this weekend…on a trail!  Surprisingly, it hasn’t been cancelled due to the snow.  The RD emailed saying the trail was “runnable.”  Somehow I don’t think this is gonna be a PR day, though.

Tempo Tuesday: PBJ sandwiched between 2.3 miles of warm up and recovery.  10.3 miles total; middle 8 @ 7:10.  My first PBJ special of the cycle.  It went well and I’m pleased with it.

Movie recommendation: In reading a review of “Crazy Heart” (which I haven’t seen yet but want to) the reviewer made a positive reference to a similar 1983 movie called “Tender Mercies” starring Robert Duvall that I had never heard of.  I got the film from Netflix and it really is a jewel of a little movie with excellent writing. Very un-Hollywood, avoiding all the usual clichés and presenting what strikes me as an honest, unglamorized portrait of decent, working class Texans. 

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all.

Erika and Sue--thank you for the elliptical info.  It seems that I might have the resistance and ramp in the right area, but I have to up the pace JUST a bit.    That may explain why it seemed like I wasn't getting as much distance as I thought I should.

I must have really cooked my arms at pump class on Saturday, because yoga really hurt last night.  I took the coward's way out this morning and put an extra hour on the alram when I couldn't bear the thought of the elliptical this morning.

Byll--guess the vocal cords are like muscles?  Don't doubt you'll be at BQ pace in singing soon.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning good people. Everyone's up and at 'em early today.

Mary - I had similar conditions for my run this morning. It started snowing again and all the slippery spots were covered up. Congratulations to the new mother! Are all the puppies spoken for yet?

Sarge - there's no age limit for building snowmen.

Hey Bill - maybe you can sing the national anthem for the opening of the Florida Marlins season! You sure have a lot of talents - singing, playing the guitar, running... pretty impressive.

PBJ - how cool to be running on a treadmill in the UK this morning. Are you there on business or pleasure (or both?)

Sue - 66 minutes on the eliptical???How many miles does that come to? What did you think of some of the music for the ice dancing last night?

5.1 miles outside in fresh snow this morning, 9:17 pace.  Then 5 minutes jumping rope and some core work. We're supposed to get several inches of the white stuff again today. I'm just plain sick of it. Holly, how long until March???

Good morning everyone. Been a while. But all this elliptical talk made me post. I did 65 minutes myself this morning on the dreaded crossramp. Third hour long elliptical ride in 4 days. Hopefully this tendinitis will let up enough to permit a run later this week. I gotta get going - Boston is only 54 days away .

Mariposai

Byll--guess the vocal cords are like muscles?  Don't doubt you'll be at BQ pace in singing soon.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Have fun with Peter Byll. He is a fun person to hang out with. I always enjoy hanging out with Erika and her DH, which I don't think is going to happen this years since our race plans are not matching up at all, darn.

I too enjoyed the trail pictures. It made me long for my long trail runs.

8 miles this morning at a slooowww pace, yes DG...that slow. My legs were still tired from my Sat. adventure. I hope they are ready for some "fast blocks" tomorrow morning.

Crazy Heart and Tender Mercies are added to the list. Thanks Tramps.

Mary, funny story today. I am glad you are doing OK. Hurray to puppies news.

Look at that MRS. Twocat, running even while on vacation, she is going to surprise us all with the first Half Marathon come spring. I better start ironing my cheer-leading outfit because she is going to run her first half, no doubt about it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Mary.. glad you landed gracefully!

Sue.. something doesn't sound right about a half or full marathon in Mass in Feb?  Brrrrr

Tramps... most excellent!  That's a PBJ Special on 'roids Smile

6 miles GA in 53:22 (8:53, AHR 160) then took the dogs for a 2 mile walk. I decided to avoid slower running with the dogs this week. I think it's sending my legs the wrong message.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary – I had one of those relatively painless slip-and-falls on my deck last week – always a good thing when you can hit the ground without lasting damage.

Breger – have a nice lunch, and tell Peter I said hello.

PBJ – 3cm of snow, and they closed the airport?  Well, safety first, I guess....

9 miles for me today in a misty 33°, with miles 3-7 at MP (aiming at 8:40-8:50), actual paces were (8:40, 8:46, 8:41, 8:41, 8:44). 

MP?  8:40-8:50?  Ha!  THAT’S a joke....Keeping that pace for 5 miles nearly KILLED me, and that was early in a short run.  NO WAY could I keep that pace right now for a marathon, or even a few miles at the end of a MLR. 

Why is it that I seem to be the only one around here who gets SUBSTANTIALLY slower in the winter months?  The rest of you seem to keep roughly the same paces year-round (and some of you are getting faster over the winter).  Even those running reduced mileage are getting faster, or running the usual speedy paces when they do run.

I don’t understand.  I know I get much slower as soon as I let up training hard, so I tried very hard not to slack off after my fall marathon so I could keep the fitness I had built up.  I’ve been running relatively high mileage all winter, doing two tougher workouts during the week, LR’s staying in the higher numbers, making sure my legs get recovery time, yet I SEEM TO GET SLOWER AND SLOWER AS THE WINTER PROGRESSES!

I feel like I’m working so hard, yet seeing no results at all for my efforts.  Going backward, in fact.  I am so frustrated with this!  (sigh)

Lunges, bench step-ups, and 54 push-ups later.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

A quick hello from Italy, flying home tomorrow.

Of course no running...probably 25 miles of walking this week wearing "city clothes"...BUT I did run the Verona Marathon last Sunday. Quite and experience, will work on my RR once I have full use of my computer once again.

A good day to all!!

Francesca 

Tramps

George--good to hear from you.  Is Boston your first marathon?  Let us know how it's going.

Holly--sorry for the frustration.  Do you plan long easy periods during the year?  For me, summers are "off" season because of the H&H and I have very lowered expectations.  (Fall and Winter are my IRC periods--despite the recent unusual snows.)  Maybe winters can be more of a down-time period for you?  You also do an awful lot of core work and extra exercises, which is good but maybe gets to be too much?  I'm just speculating, of course.  And, of course, you're doing lots and lots of other things in your life, which can be energy drains as well.  I'm amazed you're able to keep the running up at all sometimes.  Hang in there and keep this in perspective; you're doing great.

ETA: Hi Francesca!  Looking forward to hearing about Verona.

Be safe. Be kind.

Holly, see this link:

Fixing training in the middle of training

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong