Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 4.12.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday tellanokinin workouts:

RunnerKSA (5.3 miles on dead legs)

Stumpy (4 mils in “pretty much IRC,” writing here but not home)

Tramps (10 hillaged miles with a change of scenery)

Mariposai (Nice 10 miles with hillage)

Rochrunner (4 sneaking miles on the rail-trail and in the woods)

dg. (birthday 4 miles with half-mile repeats and weight machines and stability ball stuff at the gym)

Catwhoorg (6 fast miles and loose change on still tired legs)

Holly (4.8 recover-paced TM miles)

BerthaSlayer (6 tough miles, no lie, followed by blissful massage)

Tet (5 sunny miles at ultra-pace)

Tomwhite (40 min pool run with letters)

Deeze (2550m in the pool, + 1 hr computraining)

Pfriese (11 excellent miles on river trails in IRC)

CMDan (1 hr of tennis + 3.65 miles)

Spacityrunner (3 sweaty lunchtime miles)

StarrRuns (Almost 5 miles around the lake in sunny, windless, 55° weather)

RunnerKSA, bouncing back more slowly just lets you enjoy the experience longer.

Tough (and fast) Admin Assistant, Stumpy!

Enjoy the gorgeous Spring/Summer weather, Tramps. Good luck to the MIL - she’s in good hands with Tribee.

Fatozzig, I’ve found that my posture is generally better with using my stand-up desk. But I still have my days…

Nice segment PR on Sunday’s workout, Rochrunner.

I’m glad you are trying to make posting here a habit, dg. It sure is nice to have you here. Garmins (and other GPS devices) are not 100% accurate, but I’ve never heard of one measuring short all the time.

Good job of keeping the dog names with a flower theme (Daisy, Rosie), (except for Dexter, the outlier), Holly.

Evanflein, sometimes the words I say have no relevance or make no sense. As someone much more well-know than I once said: "I'm just trying to keep the conversation lively."

Good idea to slow down to make the sunshine last, Tet.

Technology is a plot to have us all waste huge amounts of time in the name of efficiency, Tomwhite. Thanks for the thoughtful running description.

Good luck with the additional blood work and testing, Deeze. I hope you get some helpful answers. Sorry about the hair ‘o the dog left all over the house.

I hope you had a great birthday, dg!

I hope things went well with the chiro. yesterday, Mike.

Isn’t it weird, StarrRuns, that some people (like your boss) are incapable of admitting that they made a mistake. Heck, if I didn’t admit my mistakes, I wouldn’t have much to talk about!   DW has a Fitbit that she likes, but she just uses it to monitor steps, stairs, and sleep.

As I expected/hoped, my hip was feeling a lot better by this morning. So I went 7.1 RW miles in 52° temps, and under mostly clear skies with a nearly-fool moon high up there. I had my headlamp on, but, with all the moonlight, I needed it more to be seen than to see (although I didn’t see any cars till I was about 4.5 miles into it). Because I took yesterday off, I'm behind my monthly pace bunny. But I figure I'll ketchup. Or I won't.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

3.1 cool, sunny miles.  Legs a little better, but need to bounce back more before my 15K on Saturday.  It's a corporate challenge race and my company president is on the team, so I don't want to be terrible.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

dg--Like Jay says, they're never exact.  But my old Garmin used to measure short all the time.  In fact, if you go back far enough in my log you'll see that I used to set the auto-lap feature to 1.01 miles to compensate.

KSA--the real question is: Do you want to beat your company president?

It got to 91F here yesterday afternoon. That's too hot for this time of year...or any time of year, really. I hope it's not a harbinger of things to come.

I feel like I've been out of regular running for a couple of years now so I've been skimming my running books (Pfitz, Daniels, Hansons, etc.) trying to remind myself of the basics and thinking about what I might do to train for a Fall marathon.  One thing I was reminded of is the value in running slowly on easy days.  If I just run by feel, I tend to have little variation in my pacing.  So today I tried to be intentional about keeping the pace modest for my EZ 6 miles.  Nothing drastic; just telling myself that the purpose of this run was easy base-building miles and the physiological benefits come from running easily.  So a truly EZ 6 miles @ 8:55.

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

tellanokinin Is this one of those words, Jay?  'Cause even the Google didn't seem to know it.

Guess speed is all relative.  Tramp's 8:55 EZ pace is where I'd love to be for my half pace.  Another even more IRC this morning.  Supposed to do 6 at pace, but since nothing seems to be close to that the past few attempts AND I got started late, I settled for 3.1 at at least a little quicker, but still not race pace, pace.  We'll see what happens tomorrow.

I found a nice idea for DW's birthday dinner and surprisingly, she agreed to it.  My fovorite microbrewery in Maine is holding a beer flight tasting dinner with what I've been told is a very good restaurant next Sunday.  So we'll go up early, open the shore camp, eat lots of good food and crash for the night.  Yum.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

I feel incredibly behind here - you don't check in for a few days and even Jay's tellanokonin doesn't help!

Congrats to all weekend racers and ((anyone who needs one))

Ran 6 along the charles at a pace that tramps would be going backwards in - not even EZPZ.  however, beautiful morning and felt good.  does this mean that spring is really coming?

now to get light in car checked out as it flickered while we were driving home from brooklyn yesterday

marj

...mornin'......

just finished talking to CrazyBrother,

you'll never guess where we're going

https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/parks/bruneau-dunes

how Cool is THAT??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

TomWhite - very cool!  Take a canteen, though...

4 miles for me on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

LOL, Tramps.  Fortunately, he's in the 5K (also a corporate challenge team event) and I'm in the 15K.  I wouldn't beat him anyway.  He's younger and faster!   I've been on some top corporate teams during my career (this particular one is NOT one of them- we literally might have the last person in the whole race, which is fine, but still....), including national championship teams back in the 80s when I worked for Texas Instruments in Dallas.  It bordered on professional sports, and you did NOT want to have a bad race in a corporate event.   Corporate running now is more along the lines of "everybody gets a medal", although a few of us are still pretty competitive, including me and the president.  It's all fun, though.  We do have a ringer- a new employee- but he will be running Boston.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

Hi All,

just popping in to say hello even though I have nothing running related to chat about. what a busy few days I have. Board meeting last night until after 8:00. and david was at a tennis match about 50 miles away that didn't even start until 7:45 p.m. so he didn't get home until close to midnight. (and he won in a singles tie breaker, so was happy about that)

Tonight is meeting at the school for parents of juniors that is all about FAFSA/Scholarships/Aid, etc. so I'll be at another meeting tonight that will last a few hrs at least.

So this will be my 3rd non-running day this week but the rest of the week is open for me. Next week (4/22) is my 30 trail race, so I'm debating on whether I just do a 10ish mile for my long run, or do a longer one like 15 miles but just take it easy & slow (ok, I guess that's how all my runs are). It's a trail race, so no speed involved, just time on feet. not sure what would serve me better as my last long run before that race. Opinions?

guess I did have something running related to chat about after all 

Tammy

Tramps

Be safe. Be kind.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Today is speedwork day. The coach said 6x1mile intervals at 10:40mm. I did them a smidgeon too fast but they were at least consistent. 8.6 miles total.

10:38  10:39  10:38  10:39  10:38 and 10:38

Not sure if I ran them TOO fast but they were close. Something to do with VO2 which he explains and explains and explains and explains to me but still cannot understand. So I hope I didn't screw it up.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

...70s here

..60-min in 2-lb trailboots at CityPark trails

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Somehow, I don't think you'll be penalized for 1 or 2 second per interval.

I've managed to get our company into doing a corporate 5K most of the past few years.  I think most join for the company paid get-together afterwards, but we're at least mildly competitve.  I'm hoping that the previously mentioned admin assistant will be our ringer this year--she should be in the very low 20's.  It also has the benifit of doing team scoring based on age grading.  I beat a few of the youngsters that way.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

jay - thanks for helping get another

day off to a great start.

After moon and occasional sun

for the last two days, you know

it’s a really robust rain when

you can hear it through the house

roof not just the flat garage one.

However, it’s better than a TM

that I’ll never do and way better

than not at all that I want to

postpone as long as possible.

Starr - everyone except me’s running faster, much faster, than our Portland times that, even though, at 6:00:07, was 5-yr PR for me, seems like a long time ago, especially after slipping back to normal during the spate of marathons held here in the PNW every November. However, I’m doing so well with recent ultra-pacing that I’m still hopeful of something along those lines again sometime. We’ll see.

KSA - good luck in your corporate race.

Too bad your boss isn't in the 15K too, though.

Though it sounds as if you’ve been doing it all your life, unlike the highly competitive corporate ekidens so well documented in "The Way of the Runner" marge referred me to read, in forty years of running, even though there’s lots of huge companies around Seattle (Microsoft, Amazon, Brooks, UW, Boeing, Adobe, many medical centers, etc.) with probably hundreds, if not thousands, of fast runners, e.g. Soundrunner from Boomer days, I’ve never heard of any corporate races here in the PNW. Do you have any perennial nemeses over the years?

Tramps - speaking of “The Way of the Runner, ”the British author (Adharanand Finn) warns about even international elites deteriorating into the bad habit of heel-striking when running slower in the latter stages of distance races. However, according to a reliable source <<<(that would be me)>>>, running slow is a chance to focus on the mid/fore-foot landing mostly recommended* nowadays and which is even possible to do for seven hours or more. *however, not recommended in Bob Glover’s “Runner’s Handbook” that resulted in my reliance on heel-striking in those days until beginning running barefoot in 1990.

Tammy - maybe go for a little slower

15 for confidence in longer distance

and greater time more akin

to the upcoming real deal.

tet – as long as you're dispensing so much gratuitous advice to everyone else, don’t fret about your mostly walking (ed. note: always walking) since your glorious Portland Marathon last fall.  Just say you’re training for a steady 15-20m/m ultra-pace for an upcoming 100-miler again.  Oh, I forgot, you don’t train.

ps tom - don't see or read "suna no onna" (Woman in the Dunes) before you go.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tammy - If you're not looking to PR at the trail race, just do what feels good.

Jay - Glad your hip feels better

Preaching to the choir but new study... "running may be the single most effective exercise to increase life expectancy."

I needed this information a week or so ago when I saw the $%*# pain center doc who, when he found out about my running said, "Well, there's your problem," and then a few minutes later said, "If you're a real athlete you can do anything, so why don't you take up swimming."   And then I found out today from my nurse practitioner that in his report regarding my visit, he said 3 or 4 times that he extensively answers my continued question which, to her, meant I had asked a lot of questions and it irritated him.

Anyway - enough ranting about him.  I LOVE my NP.  It was SOOO nice to finally talk to a medical practitioner who was willing to listen to me and not make me feel like I was wasting the person's time.  She has referred me to another pain center to a doc who is very active/athletic and understands wanting to get back to whatever sport you do.  So now I wait for that referral to go through, then I will call and get on their cancellation list.  It may be that he will say no to an injection, as well, and if he does, then so be it.  But she really likes him and thinks he will be receptive to what I'm going through.

Okay - that's it.  It's been "a morning."  The associate attorney I work with is driving me up a wall and he's lucky I didn't punch him this morning.  *sigh*  And now I need to get back to it.  Later ~

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance