Masters Running

soggy sunday july 6 runs (Read 404 times)

good morning all, it's a good 25 degrees cooler here in sweden, about 60 F, and the first rain they've seen in weeks. brought the slugs out, but not to the point that we had to worry about slipping and sliding on slug slime like last year. 5.25 miles of up and down and down and up, by the fjord, fields, and forests. soft and beauiful day. i started yesterday's thread with the intent to just get the discussion back to running, but after reading everyone's comments i thought i'd add mine. i am listmom for a couple of mailing lists for translators, and the one thing learned over the years is that politics and religion are hot potatoes. either they have to be banned for the sake of peace, or they have to be relegated to their own separate thread where people can choose to participate, or not. personally, i think discussion is important - we can learns so much from and about each other (loved seeing other zinn fans yesterdaySmile. edited to add: just saw wrfb has started just such a discussion. well done! anyway, good runs all and have a wonderful peaceful sunday, susan
      I had hoped I'd get up this morning early enough to put in 12 to 14 miles. But because I had to get up earlier than usual on Satruday, I was pretty tired most of the day. So when this morning came around I rolled over a few times. 40 mpw will have to wait for another week. Eventually I got up at 6:00 AM or so and went out for 8 miles GA (near MP really). 9:36 warmup and then everything between 8:45 and 8:18 per mile. I don't seem to want to run slow nor long these days - I suppose those go hand in hand - and felt okay out there today. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

Resting for me today. (I just felt this thread needed at least one reply to get things moving. Oops, berger1 beat me. Disregard my comments.) Smile

Hi everyone, Extremely hot and humid here at 8am. Just put in a short run after yesterday's 2 hour trail run. Taking the girls to the beach today. Will leave early to get a good spot...bringing tons of food and cold drinks too. Take care. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Hill Runner

Good morning all, We finally got some rain last night but it's a drop in the bucket... Nice morning to run... 17.19 miles of hills @ 9:12 pace, took 1 GU at 11 miles with some water and I'm jumping in the pool for a bit after I post. Good running to everyone today...back to work tomorrow. Smile

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

DickyG

A quick news flash before we get in the car and drive back home from Atlanta...it now appears that my miserable Peachtree performance, although still lousy, might have been a bit better...2 reasons: 1. (I already knew this)...the finish line was different this year...race usually ends in Piedmont Park but due to the extreme drought in the Atlanta area all year, the city bigshots didn't want thousands of people trampling on the grass. The finish line was re-routed to near the civic center. While the last mile is usually a cruise down 10th St. into the park, this year's final mile was all uphill...even the winning time was much slower than last year. 2. Hundreds of runners with those GPS watches all clocked the new course at 6.45 miles. If this is the case, I figure this would knock a couple minutes off my time, putting me in the 48's and about the same time as last year, but still 11 minutes off my PR from 1980. I'll check out the rest of the posts tonight...great runs to all today. DickyG
              Tramps

Susan--"slug slime"? Yuck! Peter--I always envy you for that pool! Appropriate thread title for me. 16.6 miles @ 9:01 pace wrapped in a soggy blanket of humidity...until the rain started..then it was just plain wet. Lots of great blue herons down by the water today, though. They're great to watch. Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tramps, we could have used your rain -- all we had was the humidity. I slogged through 12 miles at 8:57/mi, AHR 156 -- somehow when I ran only 3 yesterday I thought I had 16 on the plan, but that's next week. Hopefully, I can get back on plan now, as the vacation starts to fade in my memory. Have a great day.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

...it's been raining here for 3-days....... ===================== ........hit the trail, feet went out from under me, moved it over to the athletic fields..... ...60min run......no wind, 80's........covered in MUD when I went back to the car//// took 10-min to get the mud and grass off my trail boots, packed 'em in newspaper and tipped 'em up to dry..... like they say in Albania ''izbekk xowidje'' which, loosley translated, means ""the Cossack may go hungry, But his Horse will be Well Fed'' ..................good running guys.............(ok, it may not mean that, BUT IT SHOULD)....... .......off to my 2nd Church....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks for the start Susan, Hot & dry in Sweden does not match my perception of Sweden. A short long run Roll eyes of 8.7 miles. I count runs over 8.5 miles as a long run so 8.7 is a short long run. Smile 1st 6.2 w/DW at 10:09 pace. Very warm & sunny this morning so I was thinking "you might be a runner if you think it can be too sunny" . Would catch a few seconds of shade once in a while and it would feel so good. Peter I would have gone in the pool before posting. I rode my bike to Lake Erie (85 miles) on a 92F day in 1991 I dropped my bike in the sand took my shoes off & walked in to my neck and just stood there for 20 minutes, it felt soooo goood. Cool Finally a day off from umpiring, it is between regular season & tournaments for the high schoolers. Did douleheaders of summer college ball Friday night & Saturday afternoon, some great ball games & I had the best seat in the house. Cool I get paid too! Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

BCMorant it always feels great when you pull out a long run the day after a race! Tallrunner the times you pull out even on "slow" days just amaze me. Maybe I should add leave me green with envey as well? Smile biketm nice workout on your long run. Spareribs so sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your running. I hope whatever is getting to you clears up soon. Teresadfp having been away from the daily for a bit I did not know you were injured. But glad to hear you are recovering on schedule. enkephalin thank you for asking about my wife. She had a pile of tests. All negative. In the end it seems likely she picked up some sort of really nasty virus that just took a long time to beat. Last week she had some bad spells but as time went on they seemed to peter out and then stop occurring. At the moment she seems fine. BTW, run 6 then bike 30 minutes all after a 5K -- very nice. wildchild congratulations on your new PR in the 5 mile race! I have a friend who heads to Winter Park each year to take his paraplegic daughter skiing there. They apparently have a great program for disabled people. evryday congratulations on celebrating your silver anniversary. HandyMom just add a bit each week and you will be running 6 miles, then 7 then . . . before you know it. You just have to keep at it. Today fjordrunner run through the rain, yecch! Glad you seemed to enjoy it though. Bill 8 is not so short! Nice. Peter NC nice long run! Enjoy your swim. DickyG was the course certified? I am always very skeptical when people claim courses are long based on GPS watch readings. 10 watches do not produce 10 independent readings as they all download more or less the same data and analyze it with the same code. You might try mapping the course on MapMyRun or something similar to see what it comes up with. Tramps lol your run and conditions sounds a lot like mine! Like running through a cloud. WRFB I see another humid weather runner in our midst, so to write, here! It is a slog to get through a run in these conditions. tomwhite well I admit humid beats rain. Wink My run today was through 100% humidity and I must admit it got to me. I headed out for 3 miles to meet my TP and her friend. We then ran about 7 together and then I ran home. The last few miles were just really tough. One of those days I guess. The total came in at 13.45 miles. That is my last run over 7 miles prior to the marathon next Sunday! Now I just have to convince my stomach it needs to taper as well! Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Chris - Howard Zinn's People's History is a great read. Have you read his You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train?
                          He's a great guy, too--I was his Teaching Assistant decades ago at BU. I love Train--also his play about Emma Goldman, if you can find it. After listening to Barbara Kingsolver being interviewed on NPR this morning on my run (her last book was about her family's attempt to eat for a year only what they grew/raised/could buy at the farmers' market), I'm inspired to find some roadside produce, too and see what I can do with it. Tongue grins, A <it's going="" to="" get="" hot="" 8-)="" here,="" so="" i="" slipped="" out="" early="" while="" it="" was="" still="" in="" the="" 60-70="" range="" for="" 13="" miles--our="" humidity="" is="" over="" 60%,="" unusual="" for="" here.=""></it's>
                          Masters 2000 miles

King of PhotoShop

DickyG, I can't figure out why your time was 11 minutes slower than your 1980 PR. Maybe you are training differently. I think I have figured out what is best to do until I go in for the stress/echo on the 18th. Today I did 3.3 miles, alternating walking and jogging each quarter. So I got six quarters of running in, and a bit more than that walking. I was only mildly fatigued after each run quarter and able to recover well with the walks, so that is what I will stick with until I see the doc. Spareribs
                              Spareribs-nice to see you playing it smart while still keeping some peace of mind. Well done. Tallrunner-keep the heat up there, will be heading to Eastern Ontario on friday for 10 days in cottage country. For me 9 miles in the bank today with 3 run at sub 7:00 pace. Legs felt good after a 30 mile paved trail ride on my mountain bike along the Genesee River to Lake Ontario and back yesterday. Not soggy at all here, the weather has been spectacular all of this long weekend. Enjoy the remainder of your weekend everyone.
                                10 miles in 72 and sunny with little humidity and no wind. This was my long run for this week and since I took yesterday off because I raced on the fourth I had fresh legs and a springy feel. I found my old heart rate monitor strap as I was cleaning my dresser out last night and decided to see how the ol ticker was ticking. I have not used it in a few years but it still works good. I have a old fitsense watch that I still use and it is pretty accurate as long as the batteries are strong. My race on the 4th it came up .1 short in 6 miles so good enough for me. Anyway my average HR after warm up stayed around 160 I averaged 164 for the entire run. I was playing around with some hills and sprints and such so maybe not a good reading for a long run. I never could get the training down using this thing. My max heart rate was 204 when I maxed out about 5 years ago which is really high compared to the averages so all my HR paces seem high. My long runs should be between 132 and 146 and I have never been able to go that slow for a long period that would be walking. No mans land(not doing any good) is between 163 and 173 and that's where I usually end up. So I just leave it in the drawer most of the time. I do like to see how fast my recovery is and today I was back at resting heart rate within minutes of stopping. I am not sure who's book I got these values from since its been so long but I think maybe some of us just don't fit the mold. I have been accused of being odd. Big grin Good runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down