Masters Running

Memorial Mondaily May 28 (Read 39 times)

I'll start us off.  Good weekend running, Masters!  We overcame the various weather challenges.

5.2 holiday miles for me.  Drove over to the relatively flat path.  Not anxious to go back to work tomorrow. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Big first game tonight. Lots of local coverage if you want to learn the storylines. If you’ve got no horse in this race, the long-suffering Caps are definitely the team to root for. As a first-year franchise, Vegas has already succeeded beyond all expectations and, loaded with draft picks, is only going to get better in the coming years. Haunted by a long history of choking at key moments, the underdog Caps have aging stars who have never gone this far. It’s likely now or never for them. Go Caps!

5 miles in what our little weather meter said was 99% humidity. But I think that’s only because it doesn’t go up to 100%.

Be safe. Be kind.

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

6 super humid miles.

Bill Wagnon / stl

coastwalker

Howdy everyone.

Good start-off workouts, KSA, Tramps, and Sees-the-Ground.

Good recollection about the daughter, Holly. BIL told us she was 12, but we found out when she got here that she's a bit older than that, being that she's going into her junior year in college. That BIL...

I slept in a little late this morning, but was still out by 5ish for a RW workout in 48° temps and a bit of off-again, on-again drizzle. I took my sweet time getting up to speed, and was only in a good zone for the last 4 miles or so. 9.2 miles total. Then we took our guests out to breakfast with some of my winnings from yesterday's race. They wanted to see our office, so we took them there before sending them on their way to a stop in MA, and then their trip home to Utica & Syracuse, NY. Then DW and I made a stop at a great kitchen supply store in Portsmouth (NH) to pick up some goods, and at Trader Joe's for some necessary foodstuff - including Halloumi cheese, which is generally available only at this time of the year (so we stocked up), and its a great grilling cheese. Now it's on to the afternoon's fun/chores.

Have a greta Memorial Day Monday! Thanks to all of our veterans for their service to our country.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

pfriese

An early, steamy (humidity/fog & 72F) morning; good for an 8.2 mile run around the lake.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

DH and I spent the morning running errands to pick up various house supplies, and then grilled brats for lunch.  Now I am doing some household chores and getting ready to log in to work to get a couple of hours in.

5 recovery-paced miles for me this morning in 75-ish humid degrees, followed by about 30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Grade for today's run...FAIL.  It was supposed to be a "strength" workout with a 1 mile warm up, then 6 x 1 miles in 6:40 with a 1/4 mile recovery run between each, and 3/4 mile cool down.  Since it's 91°, humid, and sunny, I told myself to just hit my paces and no more.  I ran my mile warmup in 7:45, then my 1st strength mile was 6:38...okay...I'll except that.  Then, after my 1/4 mile recovery run, I did my 2nd strength mile in 6:24!  I scolded myself for the entire 1/4 mile recovery run then did the 3rd strength mile in 6:28.  And, as you can imagine, that is when everything went to crap.  I went past my 1/4 mile recovery by .05, then took off, mad at myself for being so stupid,  and then I missed my 1 mile interval by about 1/4 mile.  I was just all screwed up and then it was just a crawl back to the house.  My last strength mile was 7:46, then it took me 5:27 to go the last 1/2 mile.  Oh, well--it's done.  And I'm kind of glad this happened.  It reminded me that I ain't Superman.  I cannot fool around with this heat and humidity and not expect to suffer.  My marathon is in 2 weeks and it's supposed to be warm...it's better to learn the lesson now, rather than during the marathon...but...will I take advantage of what I leaned, today?  Probably, not...

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Mike E I know everything is relative, but man I wish my best workouts approached your fails.

coastwalker grilled Halloumi cheese is awesome!

Sees-the-Ground sounds like the weather we had a couple of days ago. Ran 7 in that and then did some planting. Spent the rest of the day recovering from dehydration. 

evanflein do you rent it out all year? Or is it a summer vacation rental for someone?

fatozzig now you just have to get your DH to start jogging those hikes and you there you go, a new running partner!

DW and I went to her late mom's place to continue cleaning it out. The closing is supposed to take place in about two weeks. Her late dad amassed a huge collection of nearly worthless coins. Well, quarters worth a quarter and such.  My SIL's DH will bring them to one of those coin machines this week to turn them into cash. There are some coins like quarters worth perhaps $2 or $3. Alas, getting them sold off seems to be my job. I am going to take them to a local coin dealer and then pretty much accept whatever he will pay. I just hope he does not tell me to forget about it 5 minutes after I walk in. Today was just clean the garage, put back a speaker grill that belongs in the ceiling but decided the floor was more appealing and smoking some ribs. At least I liked doing that last part! Oh, yes an hour on the elliptical.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

went for a short run, just 3 miles, this morning. already getting so warm out there. so what am I doing on a warm day? I'm baking bread

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike E I know everything is relative, but man I wish my best workouts approached your fails.

Me, too!  And Mike, it was 91 degrees after all.  What marathon are you doing?  I seriously doubt it will be 91 degrees for your marathon, since it will likely start early in the morning and you will be finished so quickly anyway.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Hot & humid 5k this morning. Adjusted my pace for the heat and had a good run.

St. Mary's Memorial Day 5k - Ironton Ohio

Garmin:
                        3.12 miles
                        29:24 - 9:11, 9:37, 9:30, 1:04

161 of 392 overall
                        112 of 191 male
                        5 of 10 age group (55-59 men)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hot & humid 5k this morning. Adjusted my pace for the heat and had a good run.

St. Mary's Memorial Day 5k - Ironton Ohio

Garmin:
                          3.12 miles
                          29:24 - 9:11, 9:37, 9:30, 1:04

161 of 392 overall
                          112 of 191 male
                          5 of 10 age group (55-59 men)

Dave—that sounds almost just like mine. Although not nearly as hot. I’m just out of shape   Anyway I saw that there was a 5K about 30 minutes south of the lake, so since I was planning on a run and it was nice weather (50 and cloudy), and cheap, I headed down

29:47 for 3.1 exactly

68 of 168 OA

7 of 15 60-69

two guys in my AG finished top 10. It was a benifit for ME Audubon society, so figured that means Old birders must be fast.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Just a note to Leslie - 2900 feet elevation gain in about 1/2 mile would be climbing a ladder - you must have some calculation wrong.

I know because I did a 9 mile hike yesterday.  4.5 miles up the mountain with 3000 feet elevation gain, then turned around and back down.  I had hoped to get to the snow line, but I got tuckered out at that point, and I think the snow was another 1000 feet up.  It was a nice hike, took some photos of flowers and the lake below, did not see any wildlife other than scaring some hikers who thought I was a bear.

I am thinking about a 6 day/5 night backpacking trip in August and trying to get prepared for doing 4000 feet and 10-12 miles in one day with a heavy pack on.

Saturday I tore up part of my deck at the cabin, and got a big blister on my hand from holding the reciprocating saw.  It was crazy busy out there - everyone camping etc enjoying the long weekend and nice weather.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

bioguy

20 mile bike ride with Mrs bio, then mowing and other chores. Like to watch more hockey but past my bedtime.

tailwinds

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, got up early this morning and drove over to Huntsville for the Cotton Row Run.  I did the 10k.  I haven't been able to do this race since 2014.  Not a PR course, there's a (very) steep hill at the 3 mile point and my best times there I've walked it.  Also, it's north Alabama on Memorial Day.  Even with a 7 AM start, it's warm and humid.  Today was pretty nice, humid but temps in the upper 60s with a faint breeze....and it was overcast!  The prerace festivities did not include the D-Day veteran nor, oddly, the National Anthem.  They did sing God Bless America and play Taps (after getting veterans to "Present Arms").  One new thing this year, a "Gold Star" block with photos of the men and women from the area who had died in the service of the United States.  Knee felt pretty good all things considered.  I decided my goal was to run the entire course (have only accomplished that once) for DS#1.  About 2 miles in questioned that decision--too long in flat eastern NC!  Every little rise looked like Everest.  Managed it though.  At the Gold Star block I slowed to about double time pace and held a salute until I passed it.  Not sure of results.  Garmin had me just under 50:00 (not too bad considering my lack of fitness).  Placement(s) unknown at this point.  I did run into a good friend from college (and his sister) before, during and at the finish of the race.  All in all not too bad at all.

Drove back to Montgomery this afternoon and have ironed a uniform for tomorrow.

Have a great night everyone!