Masters Running

Good Nutrition "New Start" for week ending 1/20/07 (Read 469 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Here you go, Jemmama, (and the rest of the gang) let's try a new start. Smile Deep breath... (trying to suck in the stomach...)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Yeah, Holly! Now we have "Good Nutrition" and Holly's name all week! Big grin (shhhh... I was down 2 lbs from last week this morning! Don't wanna be too loud or they'll hear and come back!) Amazing how it seemed to help to have most everyone out of the house! DS2 is pretty self-reliant, and other than still loving pancakes served up for him on Saturdays (yes, that was Friday dinner, too!), he pretty much does his own thing during the day eating wise. So I worked on straightening and cleaning the house a bit, and running, and got a haircut and spent almost 3 hours at the gym, and... and... and... All in all a pretty good weekend! Now today I have to still "be good" cuz I'm having blood drawn tomorrow morning for a full workup; something I like to do every couple years. Will be interesting to see how this week of relatively "clean" eating for me has helped (or not). No red meat for 8 days now, cut back on the vino a bit (easier to do when it's just me in the house), increased the strength training, etc... we'll see! C'mon girls! Cut yourself a break and get back on to it. This is a new week! (of course, you realize if my scale had said two lbs the OTHER direction, the tone of this post would be entirely different...)

Marathon Maniac #957

Yeah, Holly! Now we have "Good Nutrition" and Holly's name all week! Big grin
        Yeah, well it’s YOUR turn next week, Erika. Smile
        (shhhh... I was down 2 lbs from last week this morning! Don't wanna be too loud or they'll hear and come back!)
        Woohoo! Nice job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrpat

Holly, thanks for starting this week. I hope that it is OK that I join . . . I have been posting on KR since the CR exodus. I had gained lotsa poundage before and after my late November marathon, gained about 15 pounds from Halloween through Thanksgiving. I then vowed to only eat 3 meals a day sans snacking, except for a moderate Christmas Break. This plan worked out pretty well as I am 10 pounds lighter today but still have 17 to go to get to my goal of 145. I usually eat healthy meals and even my snacking is not too bad just too much. I have also been eating smaller more reasonable portions. Also December was also a cutback from running month for me, last week was the first time that I ran over 30 miles since November, I should be back around 50 miles a week by February. erika, i think that if everyone was out of my house i would consume a lot more but glad that it worked for you,
          SteveP

Most of our meals are not planned in adavance. Today DW and I talked and at least 2 meals a week are going to be thought out as far as fat, ccarbs and calories. I found 2 lbs lurking in the scale up to 197 this AM. Though a pound or two either way on any given day isn't a big deal....OK...That's a bunch of carp.....Now there's 2 lbs to loose that I didn't have to gain. Angry

SteveP

Awright, I've gotten back on the horse. Craneium, I'm going to post some "motivational pictures" around my home, to keep me focused. Maybe a before pic of myself from 2005, or an after picture from 2006 when I was 10+ pounds lighter. Or maybe something else. Dunno. BTW no need to ask permission to join us - just jump in! All are welcome. Smile Congrat's to Erika! Thanks all for the encouragement~ Jem
                I'm down about 3 pounds since Christmas. I'm attributing that to increased mileage plus cutting back on portion size. However, this weekend's football blitz with nachos and several refreshing beverages may alter the weight loss. I'm back on the plan.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  Thanks for starting this thread, Holly. I'm down 3 pounds since yesterday, from 179 to 176. I don't know what that's about. Probably just didn't drink enough fluids yesterday. Dark Horse
                  I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                    I think I hate you. Smile
                      I'm glad to have another place to be accountable as well. I got off to a great start with the Biggest Loser challenge at work two Fridays ago, but since my birthday was on a weekend this year, it morphed into a day-and-a-half food fest rather than just one dinner out. The cake is finally gone and I'm ready to stop loading the empty carbs this week. I've found that tracking on Sparkpeople keeps me honest. If I track food in a written log, it's too easy to just give up when I've gone overboard for a day or two. I don't seem to have that problem with Sparkpeople, though. I like that I can get info on daily totals for carbs, protein, and cholesterol as well as calories there as well. It may have been too soon to tell, but I think I felt a connection between eating more healthy (healthily?) last week and my running. Last week's runs were pretty awesome. Yesterday's was terrible (after too much birthday cake), but I also have a sinus/ear infection, so I think that must be a factor as well. My goal for the BL challenge at work is to lose 1.5 pounds per week through April 15. Was on track for the first weigh-in last Friday. Need to be really committed to make it this week, especially if this sinus thing gets in the way of my running. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

It may have been too soon to tell, but I think I felt a connection between eating more healthy (healthily?) last week and my running. Eliz
                        The grammar gods are smiling down on you, Eliz. My mil would suggest "healthfully." She winces when she hears the words "healthy food." Sorry to hear you're sick. Hope it doesn't get worse. But most important/ly, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! Sounds like it was fun. Jem
                          I think I hate you. Smile
                          jemmama, Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Dark Horse
                          I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                          evanflein

jemmama, Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Dark Horse
                            Yeah, Jemmama, he gives us lots of other reasons...! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Marathon Maniac #957

...sitting at the keyboard working on her 3rd sugar-free popsicle...white knuckles as she grips the side of the desk, trying to resist the great sucking power of the refrigerator.... 1540 calories today, pretty much maintenance level for a non-running day, BUT, a 9-12 miler on tap for the morning....would an English muffin be too much?...... I hate this dieting stuff....grrrr

I posted this on the old topic but thought it was worth bringing here: I've been reading one of Chris Carmichael's books and he talks about having a singular focus. He attributes Lance Armstong's success (other than a super human VO2max) to focussing on the Tour instead of trying to win lots of other races. My point... We are all busy and have lots going on, working, training, etc. I am applying this principal and posting the numbers I want anywhere I will look at them. I enter my numbers in my calendar every day to serbe as a reminder. The other key is to not beat yourself up when you slip and to just keep on the right track. Lifestyle changes don't happen overnight.