Masters Running

Good Nutrition "New Start" for week ending 1/20/07 (Read 469 times)

evanflein

Hey Dark Horse, isn't that just the kicker? I hate it when I get up, feel "light" and hungry, know I did well the day before eating-wise, ran or worked out well, get on the scale and... WTF?? Up a pound?? (or no change) Seems like a real slapdown sometimes. Carol, you've got quite the task to keep on top of that diabetes. That's a bum deal but I guess you just deal with it, right? I mean, what else can you do? Good job on keeping up with it, and sounds like you're dropping some pounds too. Holly and I both get that comment "you look fine!" And granted, my dh sure likes the extra pounds. He thinks I was too thin, and I did get down there last year in the "too thin" range. But there's no denying I'm still up a good 10 lbs from a year ago, and I only have two pair of pants that fit well!! And I will NOT buy more "fat pants." So, gotta deal with the old ones, or lose the weight. Dinner out last night, wine-tasting event Tuesday night... ugh. I'm not doing well this week. Those couple of pounds I lost while "being good" for my blood test found me again so everyone is home safe and sound. Angry
      Whoaah, no wonder they lose weight on Biggest Loser! No wonder they are always having emotional meltdowns. I would too! Deez, I know what you mean. Confronting those calorie numbers is difficult. Seems like I can maintain my weight intuitively, but to lose weight, I have to evenutally count and face calorie reality. evanflein, gotta watch out for that wine! In addition to the calories from the wine itself, for me wine leads to munchies and less than stellar judgement about what those munchies are and how much to consume of them. And yep, I deal w/ the diabetes pretty well most days. We all have our "stuff" to deal with, and that just happens to be mine.
      Progress Trumps Pefection

Marathon Maniac #957

holly - do you think maybe you're at the right weight for you and the amount of running you do? maybe that's why your numbers don't change much.....from pics i've seen you look great but i know we all have different views of our own bodies and what we should weigh.
        Well, you see, all those pictures were taken 3 months ago, and now I'm a big fat cow.... Smile Actually, I'm just trying to lose the 4-5 lbs I gained from November-December - typical holiday baking and overeating. I go through this every year, gaining a few lbs over the holidays and then working for several months to lose them. They come on so quick, but leave so slowly... It doesn't seem like much, but I've very short, and every extra pound goes right to my belly. And like Erika, I refuse to go buy bigger pants. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey, this morning I was down a half-lb from last week. Not much, but I'll take it as a good sign. Maybe I'll just weigh on Fridays, for comparison purposes.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I don't like to brag, but I was down a pound this morning, to 176. This was unexpected because I've had big suppers the last two nights, and as a result have been afraid to weigh myself. Last night I ate three Whopper Jrs. On the other hand, I have worked out faithfully every day this week. Dark Horse
            I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
              Congratulations, DH! Maybe you can market this Whopper Jr. Diet. WTG with all the workouts. Smile
              wildchild

Carolyn

DD and I were talking about healthy snacks the other day, and we decided on a plan: only buy health food snacks that don't taste very good, so you won't eat the whole bag at once. We got some chips that are soy and flaxseed, and after two chips I'd had enough. Tongue DH has a kind of flaxseed cookie he likes, but again, two cookies is about the max I can eat, as they taste like cardboard. But we also got a bag of soy rice cakes, and they were so yummy we ate the whole bag in one evening. I've been really good and haven't bought ice cream in over a month. If we don't have it in the house, we can't eat it. And I live 30 minutes from the nearest grocery store, so I can't go get some easily. I highly recommend this strategy. Smile Today on my run I felt slow and fat, but when I weighed myself afterward, I was a pound lighter than usual. Huh? It's that time of the month, so maybe thats why I feel fat.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

It took me until Saturday to reach Friday's goal, but I'm OK with that. Down 3 pounds since the start of Biggest Loser contest at school, 1/4/08 and have managed to run 31.4 miles since then. Bad news is that my team is 17th out of 17 - we're DLF among the Losers! How sad is that?!?!?!? Shocked My theory is that we're lulling the other teams into a false sense of security while we take the "slow and steady wins the race" approach. Wink Seeing my team's name last on the list kind of hurts, but the truth is that I don't care if we do end up last, as long as I meet my 23-pound weight loss goal by tax day. FWIW - I read a study out of Penn State a few years ago that found that people who were the most successful at losing weight and keeping it off weighed themselves every day. I get weighed first thing every morning when I'm home, but only record it once a week or so. I lost 20 pounds two summers ago and managed to keep all but 6 pounds of it off until this fall when all heck broke loose in my job. The interesting thing is that I lost most of the weight when I was at the shore - with no scale - but I think getting weighed every day once I met my goal helped in terms of maintaining. (Did I mention that I tend to overanalyze things?) One of the few good things about my crazy new job is that I have to get up so early, and thus go to bed so early, that night time snacking isn't a problem. Even if I do stay up past 9 o'clock, I'm too tired to think about eating! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

ok- not a great total for running or working out this week but i really tried to watdh my food intake and i'm down 2lbs from the beginning of the week.......now to keep going with that and get out for a long run in the morning!!

denise