Masters Running

Sunday blue skies, runs and other good stuff (Read 387 times)

Hello - is anyone awake yet? Y'all must be out for pancakes and eggs. 7.5 miles, 9:47 pace  in breezy, sunny skies with temps around 61°. This is July 26th??? Feels more like May. My DH and I are playing in a husband/wife golf tournament this afternoon - best ball of two format. This could be interesting.  Will report in later to let everyone know if we're still married!

Some great races yesterday in less than ideal conditions. You guys are tough. This is what makes runners such a unique group of athletes. "Neither rain nor sleet nor snow...."

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Renee the dog

Been awake almost all night, Jlynne!  My little one is a little sick.  He couldn't sleep much and therefore, I didn't sleep much.    Luckily, it's a cut-back week (6 mi in the plan), so I'm going to slog it out early this evening while kids and Bayside play on the beach.  Renee did go out for 3 already with Bayside, so she's all set.

We're supposed to hit a "Real Feel" of 99º F today.  Time to put on the air conditioning....

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Slo

Hello tough runners !

Hope your little one gets to feeling better soon nono.

We spent a nice eveing with some friends....eating BBQ.....entertaining thier little ones.....sucking down some suds. To much food.....to much drink.....to little sleep.

I got out for 19.13 miles. 8:13 pace overall average.  1st 9.77 miles @ 8:22 ....then 6.18 miles @ 7:50......and 3.19 miles at 8:33 to wrap it up. Gorgeous morning ! 61 deg to start.

Off to church then a trip to my hometown to listen to the RABRAI war stories.

'morning everyone.

14 miles in 2:25:46.  Started out in light rain which was nice, ended up in bright run, 75°, with steam rising off the pavement.   Not so nice.  I was toast by the end.

Will have a nice afternoon puttering around the house catching up on chores on no particular schedule.  My favorite kind of Sunday afternoon.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

evanflein

I'm eating my bagel with p-nut butter and getting ready to head over to my race. The finish is just over the hill from us and we catch a bus there at 8:15 for the 9 a.m. start at the top of the hill. Figure I'l leave here in about an hour.

Nice run, Slo. I'm OCD enough I'd finish up to 20 most likely, even if I had to crawl. 

PDR, never know how to dress for a run like that, right? And those are the Sunday afternoons I love best. Don't get nearly enough of them!

I think I have a cracked tooth. But it's a tooth that's already crowned, so not sure what that means. But I sure recognize the feeling!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Jlynne – good luck with that.

Nono – I hate it when the little ones are sick.  Hope he feels better soon.

{{{Erika's tooth}}}  Good luck today!

We've switched to the Saturday night church service, since DS has graduated to the Middle School service which is held then, so that means I won't have to get up at 3:30 anymore to get my 20-milers in before church - yay!

The plan called for a 20-miler today, but with yesterday’s race I wasn’t sure my energy would hold out.  I decided to head out at an easy pace (10:XX) and see how I felt.  Trouble was, I couldn’t run that slow!  How did that happen?  I kept looking at my Garmin and seeing 9:07 or 9:11, and then saying, whoa there, slow down!  Crazy!  2 weeks into the FIRST plan and I’m already seeing improvement.  Surprisingly peppy until about mile #17, when all the energy drained out.  Still, I got ‘er done.

20 miles in 66-72°, with the first 16 @ 9:26 ave pace, then the last 4 progressively slower 10:00 – 10:30-ish.

Now I’m eating a seasonal favorite – freshly-picked-and-sliced garden tomato sandwich with Miracle Whip and sharp cheddar cheese on whole wheat.

Now we’re off to the waterpark for a bit. 

Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice, even if muggy, run for PDR. Good luck in your race Erika, as if you needed it.

Holly, I matched your 20 miles, but on the bike -- first time out on it since getting back from my trip. I've been watching so much Tour de France coverage that I was in the mood for a real workout type of ride, so headed over to the Oakland U campus. It felt really good, and at one point I was going up a steep hill that was about the average grade that they rode on Mt. Ventoux yesterday. I hammered up it at 12mph for about a hundred yards and died; yesterday, the leaders were averaging that speed for several miles! There go my hopes for competing in the TDF, I guess.

Hope everyone else has good conditions for runs & races today!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

dg.

'morning!

Nice run Jlynne.    Best of luck (all the way around) for your golf tournament!

Nono, too bad about your little one & your little sleep.    Happy cutback week.

Slo, I thought about you this morning.   We went to a wedding last night, I didn't eat much, & didn't drink anything, ... well, except just before I left dear nieces glass of red wine looked pretty good so I shared it.  but it didn't count because it was hers.   Left early, though it was late to bed for me.   Anyway!  The point of all this is that I remembered what was going on at your place... & assumed you'd have a killer run today anyway.  Yep, you did.  Smile

Harriet, that's my favorite afternoon too.   Don't have one today, though the weather is perfect for it here. 

Erika,  good luck.  hope your tooth is ok but it doesn't sound like it.  sigh.

Holly, that's great!  think I should try it?

Nancy, hi!  I missed your hello to me the other day.   I was fine that morning, thank you.  :-).   Funny, you gave me this image of us...   in some Sat. am kids show.  the butterfly lady & the berry fairy.  Wink.    What do you think?  is it a plan? 

I hope Tom's doing well in his 20K. 

Cutback week for me too... the plan called for a mile w/u & c/d at recovery pace w/ a 5K in between.   Holly convinced me that that would have been stoopid.  So I just did 9.26 miles, av. pace was 10:02, which is a lot better than it's been for a while.  Max was 8:38. ahr 162, max 177.    My knee was giving me fits after about the first mile, but we had a little chat & it got better.  Was a hard run for me, you know one of those when during mile 2 you start asking are we there yet?  I hope it was just being tired & not having enough protein yesterday.  I don't know if that really makes a difference.  Just rice & veggies for dinner. 

Happy Sunday everyone.  

Sweaty, drippy, long run with a few tempo miles for me and Iron J at 7:30 am in her neck of the woods. 18.2 miles at 8:36 pace overall w/4 @7:27 (miles 10-14). We had planned to do more of the faster miles, but no way was that happening today. The dew point, air temp, and humidity gauges all have the same numbers, so we played it safe. I sweat so much, it's gross---should just bring shampoo and soap and multi-task in the last miles.

Sorry about the no sleeping NoNo.....Iron J's almost 3 year-old kept her up all night as well. First few miles were woozy ones for her.

Nice running there SLO and great week for you. Way to go Holly---you are strong and each training period builds on the other----believe!

Rochrunner Armstrong is cruising these days!

Good Luck Erika! You too JLynne!

Puttering on tap for me as well with some jazz (Alice Russell right now) playing in the background. Nothing strenuous---arms ache a bit from all the canoeing yesterday. My boys are out geo-caching, so I can putter in peace!

Hey dg...you snuck in there as I pressed "post". I think you've hit on a good show idea---butterfly lady and the berry fairy---I'd watch. 

Some nice long runs out there already!

Good luck on your race Erika!

I did some swimming yesterday.  I haven't done that in a long long time.  Like when I was 13 years old, pre-googles era.  I am assuming the outdoor pool is 25 yrds long, sounds right?  I only did 4 laps but I think I might go over there again today and do more, since I am sticking to my run only every other day routine until my joints and muscles adjust.  (But i'm itching to run!)  But I don't want to get injured more than I want to run!

It would be so cool to work up to 1km or 1mile.  Just so I could say, nonchalantly, oh, I only swam a mile today.

I bought some ear silicone to keep the water out, didn't want to get vertigo from a rush of cold water into my ear.

DH is taking the kids to a company picnic, I begged out as I hate the sun/heat midday.  So, free to do whatever.....

When I got up this morning, two raccoons were frolicking in the backaryd, getting a little intimate and generally just having a good time.  They were tearing up my kid's slip and slide and playing in the puddle of water in the middle of it.  The male raccoon was repeatedly tossing a chuck of it up into the air, very playfully.  But when he started chewing on the garden hose I said enough is enough.  It has been so dry here lately I wonder if they were desperate for water.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

dg, I think you are into something. The butterfly lady and the berry lady sitcom could be hilarious...I am sure Ribs would accept to be our agent..

I wish I was as tough as Holly. Look at that lady, she raced yesterday and here she is running a heck of a 20 with 16 miles at 9:26

Enkie, what a sweet story about the raccoons and yes, I would love to be able to swim a mile someday.

Great run PDR and enjoy your free afternoon.

This was time after the Seattle marathon that I put some serious work into my LR. The wave was the theme of the day. My legs felt OK today, but my whole body and my mind were tired from the on-call day yesterday. It did not help that I had to run this on a 1/2 mile radius thanks to the beeper.

So after an easy 5 w/u miles I started the wave. I was aiming at 8:55 MP pace and 8:40 HMP.
                        Mile 6: 8:55; mile 7 easy
                        Mile 8: 9:04 (hilly159ft ascent); mile 9 easy
                        Mile 10: 8:54; mile 11 easy
                        Mile 12: 8:30; mile 13 easy
                        Mile 14: 8:23; miles 15 easy

I am rather pleased with the effort since I did not think I had it in me to run the wave when I started out. The mind is an amazing machine, isn't it?

Enjoy the day folks. It is hot and humid already here.

Erika, JLynne, Divechief and  SRLopez good luck on your race!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Time to start that afternoon

This is what the morning looked like.  It wasn't pretty.

16.2 miles, 2:24:14, 8:55/mi, AHR 153 (78% MHR)

miles@pace(AHR) = 5@9:08(144), 6@8:51(151), 5.19@8:46(161)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Funny how that works nono, I can relate, fortunately not recently though.  Hope your little one feels better soon.

Nice run SLO, very nice OA pace!  You too CNYRunner and Holly.

Nice run PDR especially for the weather.  I had a marathon like that once, ugh, not fun.

Dough, meant to mention it the other day, very kewl about the pants fitting so nicely Smile  Nice ride, great minds think alike Smile

Out for a one hour bike ride on my mountain bike with the trailer full of two kiddos.  Saw some cows, a cat, a horse, a digger, and numerous butterflies Smile

Holly, how funny, I had the same thing after my ride minus the mayo Smile

Happy Sunday all

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)
                            Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Hello everyone!!!

I met Gordon on Friday at the Ragnar Relay!!! Didn't see him again at any of the other exchanges.....must have been on a very fast team...!!!!

It was a  lot of fun, lots of hard, good running, too many hills and heat but worth  doing it again next year!!!

10 miles this morning in about 1:31 at 7am and already way too hot and humid for me, it is going to be a rough week in Seattle  with a record heat wave.

A good Sunday and runs to all!!!!

Francesca

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, that's great!  think I should try it?

Absolutely not!  Remember that I am entering this plan with no nagging injuries, and I am still scared!  And I never said a race right now would be stoopid for you, just that it might not be a good idea, when you are still healing up.

Roch - there's always next year...

CNYrunner – shampoo and soap… <snork> 

Mariposai – heck of a wave run there, getting faster and faster!

Runningsmarter – that’s why YOU are successfully losing weight and I am not….

Francesca – hiya!

Where’s Stevie Ray?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."