Masters Running

Sundaily, 5.22.22 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

I saw some footage from where the tornado hit in Gaylord, MI, and it is a sad and scary sight. Given the damage, it is fortunate that more people weren't injured/killed.

Today, DW and I are heading to Scarborough, ME (Milktruck territory) to help old friends from CA celebrate a granddaughter's college graduation. We haven't seen our friends in a few years, and we haven't seen some of their kids (who will also be there) in a few decades. So it'll be fun ketching up.

After another night's poor sleep, I got out for my slow 1.4 miles early this morning. At one point, I stopped and was entertained by a beautiful pileated woodpecker looking for breakfast. It tried a tree stump and a couple of smallish trees before it and I moved on. A benefit of moving at such a slow pace is that I get to see more of the detail of the world around me.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Thanks for the start Jay.

I'm in Atlanta waiting for my flight to New Orleans. And so begins a week of posting from my phone. I have my work laptop with me but they seriously frown on any personal use. And they block many sites too. Probably this one is blocked if I tried.

I saw a runner died in the Brooklyn Half Marathon yesterday. It's so tragic when that happens.

Thanks, Jay.  I saw that about the runner who died.  So sad.  When I was on the board for the Dallas White Rock Marathon, we had a runner die during one of the races.  It was a heart attack and he was probably dead before he hit the ground.  It was horrible.

Tried a difficult route up above the Westin where I've failed before (got lost- too hilly etc) and also sort of failed today. I had to walk some, which is fine, but I lost the route again. To say things aren't well marked here is an understatement. I backtracked to make sure I didn't really screw up. The good news is I was back at the Westin gym after 3.25 miles so I only did 2.1 on the treadmill (only one other person in the cardio room) and then .35 back to the jeep. Gorgeous views from my difficult road, though.

May be an image of 1 person and ocean

May be an image of sky, palm trees, ocean and nature

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice view!  

We’re getting set for another hot one. Maggie and I did an earlier lake loop while it was still in the 60’s. Had made it to a bit over 70 by the end of the walk and she never made it to the couch—crashed on the floor. She’s now lying under a bush in the front yard. 

I will be heading out to NJ yet again tomorrow for what could be a full week leading into the long weekend. Joy. DW is thrilled. 🙄. So today will be packing for two trips so I can get upta camp as soon as possible on Friday.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Stumpy - not another hot one here in Seattle but, I hope, our first of many like last year as it's supposed to touch 70F today.

Jay - nice pileated. That's one of the few that I can actually spot after hearing them and looking around in the trees. Very frustrating not even being able to spot big eagles by they're so noisy they could be out-of-sight.

KSA - your running up behind the hotel's starting to sound like Tammy.  Is it all road or some trail? However, when you sneak into the Westi inn's fitness room, isn't it kind of like cheating to add .35 miles to the parking lot. How does that work out to be so far? You're not staying there, are you?

Tammy - tweive minutes faster in an elevation abundant 10-mile is fantastic, unreal, but how come your 2nd place AG is second place by default even if the other runner didn't show up?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

72F

5 miles slow run (take it easy)

time not worthy of mentioning

72F

1.10 walking mile home

A glorious morning full of sights and sounds and smells. First sight before I began my run and while still in my drive? Along the front sidewalk we have some plants. Before my run this morning I purposefully and loudly hollered at the FOUR deer on my sidewalk eating our plants.

I hope  I didn't wake the neighbors when I shouted "DI#KH&@Ds! Get outta my yard!"

After a few cleansing breaths. I began my run to the swamp. Of course. The swamp.

I enjoyed listening to the birds sing their morning tunes while I traipsed through the neighborhood and into the Powhatan Creek watershed. As I ran to the easement past Jimmy and Leah's house, I thought I heard their dogs. HOWEVER. I carefully listened and realized they had barking tree frogs on their front porch. That was fun.

I progressed to the access trail and onto the big bridge and decided to run through (on the path) the farmer's field. I ran toward the rising sun while looking left and then right to measure the corn. I'd say it's about calf high and on its way to being knee high way sooner than the 4th of July.

I was wary of entering the woods for fear of flies but there was a gentle breeze blowing and I ran through the woods and back to the big bridge and over the boy scout bridge and by the drainage pond and over the damn bridge with nary a fly to pester me.

As I was approaching the boy scout bridge, I heard a rustling in the swamp below and to my right. So I peeked over the rail and to my delight there was a green heron hopping along looking for breakfast.

Ah gee!  I have wasted paragraph after paragraph recounting my just average run to you!

In other news, it's been a wonderfully average week here filled with grandsons and tee ball and all that. I think of JLynne every time we attend a tee ball game and I hope our three grandboys continue to play ball as much as hers do!

Wanted to mention how much I enjoy reading Dawn's reports and chuckled at The Naff 5K

Thinking about tomwhite and hoping he will talk about it some time.

Pops and I have had a grand time On Gordon's Creek  this past week.

Today, though, we are going to go to my little sister's house for a graduation celebration. My nephew, Chester, was graduated from George Mason University yesterday. Auntie Baba's buttons are bursting with pride. Chester (on the neurodiversity spectrum) graduated Summa Cum Laude with a BS in Physics.  He has accepted an offer from W&M to continue on to his masters in this discipline. He will work and study at W&M starting soon!

My nephew is named after my father. The senior Chester would be so pleased with his namesake. Wish he was still with us. Heavy sigh.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Nice trail race Tammy, and improvement on your time.

Yesterday I walked from my house to MBE's house. With a short detour to pick up a burrito. It was 13.5 miles.

It was a gorgeous day. The sun was unrelenting, and even though I had sunblock on, my face got a bit pink.

The best and worst part was the 3 mile long 520 floating bridge. Best for the views. Worst as there was not a sliver of shade. I am not a sun lover, and that span was making me anxious so I walked a bit faster on it, then took a break in the shade on the other side.

The original plan was I would rest at his house for awhile, then ride Gigi, my non-electric bike home, but I was both a bit pooped out, and just done with the sun exposure. So Gigi and I got a ride home in his car, then went out for beers, of course.

Today will be cross-training replacing a hot water heater.

Next weekend's weather is beginning to look more rainy, so I think the Hoh river trip will not be happening.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

RCG - I saw a huge domestic rabbit chomping on the summer grasses and letting me stand right there. Usually just smaller Eastern cottontails. However, I've not gone into the woods for many reasons over the years but never because of flies, mosquitoes, bugs, etc.  Maybe get some OFF or other repellant?

Dave/KSA - a duathon friend did it perfectly when he died of a heart attack too about 100 yards from the finish of a national race, and another first in his AG, with and honor guard of finishers carrying him across the finish line

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

A word or two on the weather woes of our team here:

Enke: Darn rain! I was looking forward to reading about your Hoh River hiking and camping.

Wild Child! Yowza! Carolyn roller-coaster weather for you! 18 inches of snow!

Dave. I was glad Steve summoned a comment from you regarding the tornado in Gaylord. Glad you and yours are fine. Sad about the death and destruction in Michigan.

Here? Just the record breaking heat. Fortunately it isn't too bad when I run. The heat magnifies the sweet smell of honeysuckle along my route and carries me back to my childhood.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

TammyinGP

Tammy - tweive minutes faster in an elevation abundant 10-mile is fantastic, unreal, but how come your 2nd place AG is second place by default even if the other runner didn't show up?

I say it was by default, because it didn't really matter if I ran a slow 3 hrs, it still would have been 2nd place.   But with that said, I'm happy about my PR time and when I thought there might have been 3 in my AG with the probability I would be 3rd, my focus was just on bettering my time. goal accomplished. 

I may run later this afternoon. Legs feeling fine and would like to get in a few more miles for my weekly totally.

Tammy

After a valiant fight, my dear friend, Kate Merrill, passed away at 8:25 this morning.  Thank you, everyone, for letting me come in here and talk about her whenever I felt the need to do so.  It has meant the world to me.

Western States 2010

No photo description available.

Her first of 2 Western States buckles

No photo description available.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Leslie.

A beautiful tribute to a lovely soul.

Rest in peace, dear Kate.

Freed from earthly bonds.

Sad and mourning her friends who remain.

Dear Leslie, my condolences.

OH, Leslie.  I'm so sorry.  Even when it is expected it is so difficult and final.  Kate's family and loved ones will be in my prayers.

Tet- the Great Cruz Bay loop is part paved and part gravel/rocks, like much of the island.  We are not staying at the Westin- it is not a "hotel" but a collection of villas mainly privately owned but administered by Marriott/Westin.  I have called and offered to pay to use the fitness center since I'm a Marriott Bonvoy member, but no one seems to be able to work that out, so I just go in.  I'm not displacing anyone, for sure.  It is lightly used- at least in the early mornings.  Running routes here on the island are extremely limited, to say the least.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Very sorry to hear, Leslie .

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker and RCG seeing critters during a run is part of what makes running something that non-runners do not get. About deer, they are an exception to this rule. Double if they are eating plants in your yard.

Dave59 I forgot where I read about the guy passing away at the finish line. Sad. Locally, we had someone collapse from a heart attack a few years ago during a HM. He was super lucky. A doctor was just a short distance behind him and saved his life.

RCG just curious, what are Chester's long term plans? I am not sure what you do with an MA in physics. Obviously, there is a market for MAs in the area, I just have no idea what they do.

enkephalin I hope the random testers looking for dopers do not come by too soon! I hear you can test positive from eating a burrito. 

fattozzig my condolences for your friend.

I went down to the local running club to try and run with the fast group. They go off at about an 8:00 pace. My goal was to keep up for a bit over two miles and I am happy to report I succeeded. For the rest of my trip I was on my own, but that is what I would have been doing had I not gone down to the club. The group seems to be very nice. In I am going to get really, really mad news, my Garmin added one point to my VO2max AND told me my training is unproductive!!! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/