Masters Running

Friday, Dec. 2, '16 (Read 25 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm glad you like the new massage therapist, Dave. It's good that she knows what you are dealing with.

Good pool run TW. And good luck on your final trip to Knoxville for ADD.

Good move to take a day off after the fall, Holly. Congrats on surviving November's work load - I hope you do at least as well this month.

For Hally and anyone else concerned with running and eating, the NY TImes has a fairly comprehensive article today about running, diet, eating timing, and nutrition. Click HERE to read.

The agenda for the Budget Comm meeting last night was apparently changed earlier in the day, so all those department heads planning on attending suddenly had the night off, only to have to be ready to do it again on some other yet-to-be-identified evening. No department head can have a life during budget review season because the BudComm can call them at any time for an evening meeting with just a couple of day's notice. I'm not as much a part of that anymore, but it still is not right or fair for those who do have to respond. (Vent off.)  TwoCat - they can change budgets and they do vote on them, so being there for budget reviews is important.

I slept in again this morning to make up for a poor night's sleep. I'm very sad that I am going to have to miss Sunday's Hot Chocolate Run and meet up with goddesses Hally, LaT and CNY, but I'm in no shape to race, even for just a 5K. If I got to the start line, I know I'd try to race harder than would be prudent, and the result wouldn't be good. So it is best that I not be tempted.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

TammyinGP

Good Morning Jay!

I ran 3 miles at the track last night, then off to a parent meeting at the HS re: financing options for college education. Lots of free money out there to take advantage of. And I learned an interesting tidbit about Oregon. While I'm appalled that Oregon has the lowest graduation rate (seriously??!!) and Southern Oregon is pretty much "the appalachia of the west" with even lower rates of kids going to college - what that does do is qualify oregon students as "diverse" so colleges that seek to include diversity numbers in their enrollment give high consideration and sweet acceptance packages to oregon students.  I was also happy to learned that of all the southern oregon high schools, David's school has the 2nd highest number of classes available to students that qualify for college credits. One graduating senior last year, found out that he was only 5 credits short of being a junior when he went off to Oregon State University. I'm not sure how many college credits David currently has as a junior but we anticipate he'll have a year, if not a bit more, of college credits by the time he graduates. 

Going to pick out our Christmas tree today, then I'll start decorating tonight.  Going for a trail run in the morning with some friends and then going to a Wine & Brush event with a friend in the afternoon (drinking wine and painting a picture), and will be watching the Christmas Parade in town that evening. Busy day but will be fun!

Tammy

Howdy Do, All -

Jay - Hamstrings take so  long to get well.  Hang in there.

Tammy - Very interesting info about OR high school students.  Here's hoping David gets one of those sweet deals. 

Holly - I had a bit of a meltdown yesterday that ended with  me sending an email to two of the attorneys "respectfully requesting we not take anymore clients."  Our deadline is December 30 and there over 100 applications hanging in the wind to be submitted.  I kinda had it out with the associate attorney I've been working with.  I really like working with him, but he just doesn't get that you can't keep piling work on top of work and (1) expect it to get done, (2) expect it to get done right the first time, and (3) keep your employees.  I had to talk our secretary off the ledge again yesterday.  *sigh*  I just keep chanting to myself, "December 30th, December 30th, December 30th . . . "

Brrrr! It's been chilly here.  I finally remember to cover my succulents last night.  Hopefully the one that was hit full force with frost the two previous nights doesn't die.

Yesterday it was a really nice 6 miles in very chilly conditions.  My butt, thighs, and the ends of my fingers never warmed up.

This a.m. it was about 30 min of core/ST.  Tomorrow will be 13 trails.

I get to let my HR get up to 140 for roads and 145 for trails, so that's making things more pleasant, for certain.

Have a great weekend, friends ~~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

Hi all,

Like Jay, I'm going to miss the hot chocolate run and meet-up.  I can do the run, but it wouldn't be fun for henrun - long drive, so it's a contribution to a good cause.

ran 5 this am, longest in awhile and my knee is saying hello -  !  tomorrow off to holiday music with the boston pops with 3 grandkids - can't wait! 

marj

Hi everyone. I am glad to see that Jay is sleeping in (I wonder what time that is?) and that Leslie is standing up to the bosses once again. Marj, good to hear that Henry is recovering, so considerate of you to skip the race on his behalf. The concert sounds fun.  Twocat, I hope your foot problems get better with what you are trying. Sometimes we just have to adjust. Jay, I read that article about nutrition and running, it was good.

I've been lurking here but hope to be out running soon.  With the grandkids here over Thanksgiving and meals to prepare, just no time.  It was all fun, except trying to comfort two terrified three year old toddlers at two am that they didn't really want their moms . We put up most of the Christmas decorations on Thanksgiving Day and did the rest on Sunday.  I need to organize and donate the stuff I never put out anymore.

I took two weeks off of work for a colonoscopy and minor surgical procedure on Tuesday. The surgeon was able to fix it without incision so I've been just laying low here at home but actually feel fine. I feel like I am playing hookey but it's my PTO and ESLB (Extended sick leave bank) that I never ever use. Maybe Tuesday I will go back to the office.

Oh, I ordered a remote control that controls the TV, DVD, sound bar, ROKU and cable box.... well, I still need to check out to see if the cable box works. It really wasn't that hard to set up, I just took photos of all the devices model numbers then went to my PC to program the new remote. Wow, five remotes will be contained in a separate basket, just in case I need them.

Oh, Leslie, I'd love to see your hat!  You really need to get a set of dp needles though - you really need 4 needles and can use a smaller size for the crown, it won't really matter. I finished Brock's Christmas stocking and have a few projects to start knitting. I actually have been working on quilts this week and am making headway in that mess. Good job for finishing the hat!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Head Procrastinator

Thanks for the article, Jay, Although I am not training for a marathon or even a half but interesting read.

Sorry you can't make it to HCR, you too Marge. Will miss seeing you guys. Have fun at the Christmas show with the GC's.

Heal quickly, Starr!

Sounds like a fun day tomorrow, Tammy.

Leslie, interested in what is really chilly.

Windy this AM, so to avoid it ran north to south. Only 2.4 miles for me.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
              Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Hey!  I ran, today!  2 miles.  It's a start.  I'm going to be very cautious about starting back up.

That's all I got--see ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

Starr - rest and heal...

Mike - nice run!

I didn't feel that good this morning (tummy issues) and my ankle was still sore, so I took the day off.   Back at it tomorrow.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Just wanted to say hello. Spent the day at a conference. Gave a presentation in the early afternoon. I think I was sufficiently entertaining that it went okay.

On the way home I read the daily. I would reply with more than this note, but I am using a cell phone and you all know how easy RA makes it to post with a cell phone. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

No running but just wanted to boas,  . . I mean say that I had a dream of oaxacan fine dining with two RA goddesses and their lucky athletic supporters that Erika's DH noted even included supporting 80-yo mom's world wide AG competitive swimming.  Now that couldn't have been a dream, could it?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)