Masters Running

Not so Weekly Newbies and Others too! (Read 412 times)

Rindaroo

Hey guys - Isn't it time for a new thread? We're at that 5 page limit again Smile It was really nice to Sr Lopez & others visiting on the last thread. For me, it was a bad week.... running just got worse & worse, (oh yeah it was smoky again), alignment messed up (nerve got re-irritated yesterday), and just lots of stress at work. So, today I decided to stop the downward spiral & go outside to walk, run or whatever on my peaceful loop. Did a 2.7 run/walk in slight rain (finally!!), ran more than I had all week, and figured out what really matters in life again. How is everyone else doing??

Me

Good afternoon Everyone, I'm sorry that you've been having trouble again Rinda. I'm glad, however that you had the opportunity to spend some quality time with yourself to figure things out. I had a nice run this afternoon. The sun was out, the temps in the mid 70's and a slight breeze. it was beautiful out. (Still is). I'm supposed to be going to a pot luck at someone's house from church. I still don't know anyone and I wasn't planning on going until I saw in the bulletin it was titled "New parishoner potluck". D@mn. Now I guess I have to go. I hope they like my "single guy" cooking. Big grin Cheers, Mike
      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Well, Mike you won't always be a newbie everywhere Wink Although you can always hang out here even when you're not. You must have a few "go-to" recipes you use to impress people. Linda--sure didn't sound like a great start to the week, but a pretty decent ending. Peaceful loop sound just about right. I don't usually figure much out while I'm running, but I do like the lack of outside interferences just in case something deep and meaningful pops up Smile we're gearing up to head to Disney World on Thursday until Tuesday. DD is dancing with her studio on Saturday. I mentioned a long while ago that there was a 10K there on Sunday, but I won't be doing it for a few reasons Sad There's a group breakfast and the start is 10 miles from where we're staying with no transport. The real reason that I shouldn't do it anyway is that I haven't hit 10K in distance in ages, but that wasn't going to deter me if the other stuff fit. Oh well, there will be others. I ran on Friday to give two days in a row for the first time in ages. only 3.2, but it didn't feel too bad. Legs were a little stiff in the afternoon, but feel good today. I really need to work that 4th day in--3 just doesn't seem to be cutting it for much improvement. Hi to everyone else--with my stellar memory, once the old thread gets too long, I seem to forget most everything that was going on. Embarrassed I know Laurie has been struggling a bit, so hope things are getting better. Deb's miles are really climbing, without TOO much need to duct-tape her to a post. Wink Roberta--hope all the parents are doing better and you feel a little less stress. Sockini has disappeared into the ether--hope she's well and running. I think I need to do a little work to get ready for the trip. I'll be busy at work and then minimal to no internet for 6 days, so everyone be good while I'm gone. And if you can't be good, be careful Big grin Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Linda, sucks that it was a bad week. With lots of work stress you need lots of running to combat it. How does the shoulder feel? Worse or better? I hope the smoky and breathing improves soon. I hate not running. I dont figure things out on runs. I forget them and let me tell you, it feels great to forget them! Hey Mike, those newbie meets are usually fun. I hope you meet some interesting people. Its good to toughen up and go even though you dont know all the people and meet some cool ones. I had to do that last year when I joined the running club but it was well worth it. I have some great running friends now. R Lo and you other seasoned runners stick around. We can use the experience here! Kev, why have you not hit 6 in a while? I dont remember. Was it a foot injury? Have fun at Disney. I did that 13k there last year and there were tons of walkers. Just run the 10k at your own pace and walk when you have to. Theyre fun! I am mostly well and coughing just a tad. I struggled with 3 miles today with the club. I hate getting back up to speed. Those two weeks without running really hurt me. Looks like the next 3 will be all about running and getting up to 13 in time for the Cape marathon relay. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

mostly lack of consistancy. I hit 7 in April and then got shin splits to put me on the shelf. travel and such has screwed me up. getting back there though

Rindaroo

Yep Kevin - that was exactly it, something popped into my head to help change my 'tude.. but really it was always there, just needed to de-stress to find it again. Laurie - glad you are feeling better. It won't be long until you're back up to speed. shoulder has been bothering me for a little while, but it went over the edge yesterday, and now I'm feeling nerve pain down to my finger again Sad so am back on the anti-inflams... Hi Mike! looks like great minds think alike, page 5 is the turning point, isn't it?

Me

Rinda, I just wanted to be the thread starter. I survived the pot luck, and even saw a few people eating the dish that I brought. I met some very nice people. So now when I go to church tomorrow, I can say "Hi" to Doug, Joe, Bob, Debbie and Norm. Cheers, Mike
                  NORM! Everyone loves Norm. Hey Mike, what did you make anyhow? 3 lousy miles for me today with the womens club. It was the monthly fun run. We ate like kings afterwards. My running partner hosted and she is the best cook in the universe! Good fun. Not a lot of exercise but good fun. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Thanks for "rebooting" the thread, Linda. Even though school is going really well this year (so well that I'm still expecting to wake up and find that it's a dream), I was my usual slug-like self in terms of running during September. Not really sure why, either. I was putting in some super-long hours the first few weeks, but for the last week or so, I passed up several perfect running days without a very good reason. Didn't really feel guilty about not running, but sure didn't feel motivated to run, either. Hopefully, the inertia will end as a result of my 4-mile walk this afternoon. I knew I wasn't feeling fit enough to run, but, even though I walked at a pretty good clip, I hardly feel like I did anything! Kinda cool to have that kind of a base level of fitness, I suppose. In a mere 4 weeks, I plan to do the 5K across the bridge at the shore that got my running three years ago, so I better get my rear in gear! They're in the process of rebuilding the bridge much higher above the bay, so there are more hills now and they're much steeper. Maybe the fact that I'm training in PA will give me an edge over the locals for whom a ramp up the boardwalk is a hill?!?!? Wink Not likely! Have a greta week, everyone, Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Eliz--Glad to hear that school is going so well to start. The admins leaving you alone to actually teach? I'm not very good at guilting, so I guess I'll have to try encouragement to get you running Wink you've already proved that you can make at least 5K without any problem. How about this? 1st week 2/3 walk, 1/3 run, 2nd week 1/2 of each, 3rd week 1/3 walk 2/3 run. Distances up to you. 4th week a highly satisfying 5K run. It could work Big grin And any hill is a good hill to train on. This advice is worth every penny you're paying for it. Kevin

Me

Good afternoon everyone, Eliz, I too am glad that school is going well for you. I think I might have missed it, but are you at the same school? I know that you were looking to move last year. Is it closer to the coast? Linda, I'm thinking about you and hoping that you don't get discouraged. (((Linda))) Kevin, I am not that good at guilting, but I am a master of the ancient art of cajoling. (I'm a ninth degree black belt). I have been doing a little bit of introspection lately. I think I have figured out why I have had such a hard time signing up for races. I think it has to do with the fact that no one will be there to cheer me on or root for me as I cross the finish line. Cry So, I realize that I just have to get over that. So, I am committing to you that I am going to sign up for and compete in a race in Chattanooga before year end. where no one knows me. (Hey, that might be a good thing.) I'll expect that y'all will hold my feet to the fire on this. (Thanks in advance) Oh yeah, Norm says "Hi" to Laurie. Cheers Mike
                        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Boy, talk about a softball down the middle. Sorry Laurie, I'm going to beat you to it. HI NORM!!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I've been lax the last week or so, but it has felt good! Back at it tomorrow. A friend from church wants to start C25K! I'm meeting her Thursday morning to run/walk with her. It's so funny to hear someone ask me, "Won't you be bored running with me? I'm so slow!" Ha ha, she has no idea where I started! I told her that I won't be nearly as bored as the mutual friend who helped me run from just one telephone pole to the next! That woman is a REAL athlete, lol. I also told her it's really fun helping someone get going in such a great sport. She was a math major, so I need to get hooked on RA's training log - she will love the data!
                            Rindaroo

Hey all - well was going to treadmill it this morning, but couldn't drag myself out of bed on time. Hopefully, I can do it tonight. Overnight, my nose seems to get all congested, and early mornings are hard... thinking about getting some of those breathe right strips. has anyone tried them? Laurie - smokiness is gone.. we had rain for the last few days & supposedly weather is a turning.. (I know I said that before..lol) It was really beautiful this weekend. Mike - thanks. I did another run/walk 2.7 miles - 3 loops on Sunday & actually ran pretty fast for part of it (on the downhill). It felt good Smile Now, if I could just figure out this nose sinus thing. BTW, I think you should do the races for yourself. My family never shows up at races, but I have had some online friends supporting me. I think the most fun is when you do a race with friends. Kevin - LOL encouragement works far better for me... guilting.. well there's just something about my rebellious nature.
                              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

BTW Mike--don't let not knowing anyone stop you. most of the races I've run, I didn't know anyone. after a few in the same area, all the sudden you do know some folks. (see Tselbs RRs for reference ) Although I will admit, I had a blast at the one race where I got to meet a bunch of the on-line folks in real life. Also I've never had any of the family at my races. Kevin