Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 1.19.18 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s workouts:
    Dave59 (4 morning TM miles, including 6X440 at 9:30 pace)
    RunnerKSA (4 morning TM miles at home + 2.3 more after work)
    Opus77 (core work)
    Holly (8 morning TM miles - pre-oral surgery appt)
    Tomwhite (1 butt-kicking hr NordicTrak on incline with resistance)
    Twocat (10 morning miles in deep freeze)
    Deeze (5:30AM Body Pump + 3.2 TM miles with intervals)
    Henrun (3.2 afternoon miles)
    Runr_nut (4+ miles in shorts weather)
    C-R (15X200 hill sprints with pushups + 9 sets of exercises with the Hills for Dinner group)
    Falconfixer (8 late afternoon miles at 8:30 pace)
    Surly Bill (7.1 miles at 8:24 pace)
    Mike (7 EZ post-work miles)
    Tet (5 morning miles + 5 later miles across the bridge of debris and backwash)
    Evanflein (2.75 weird elliptical miles + planks and core)

Welcome back, Opus. Sounds like a good trip, despite the PF.

I agree, Holly - do all you can to keep your teeth healthy. Worth it in the short and long run. Clearly, everyone has different approaches to dealing with dental noise/pain, so do what works best for you.

Congrats on the crutch burning, Fatozzig, and on the evilliptical as well. Take it slow while getting used to walking on both legs again.

Evanflein, that shin has been bothering you for a while, so maybe it is time to get it checked out.

My upper right quad is achy, and after some exploration and stick work, if feels more like a muscle pull than a knot. I went out this morning anyway, just to see how it would fare, and it let me know pretty quickly that it wouldn't fare well. So I backed way off went 4.1 very, very EZ miles. I was dressed for a quicker workout in 16° temps, and I was dang chilly by the time I got back. I'll try some TENS on the quad tonight to see if that helps.

Good luck to this weekend's racer:

01/21 Catwhoorg - Locomotive Half (Rescheduled date)

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

G'mornin, Jay and all to come.   Rushing to work for meeting so did 2.5 on the treadmill.  Still a little bit of ice outside.  Tomorrow I'll get back out there.

Sneaked on down to the company gym for 1.7 treadmill miles and a few weights.  4.2 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning good people. Sorry about your sore quad muscle Jay. Sounds like you've got a good plan. A busy week for you RunnerKSA. You need a relaxing weekend and less travel next week.

5.45 in 17° with a strong "breeze" out of the south. VERY slippery out there this morning, and in the dark, I'm not taking chances. So several walk breaks thrown in going downhill over icy patches.

Off to finish the table project. Happy Friday everyone.

Tramps

PEX and ball valves. Now we're talking my kinda stuff.

Holly--drag about the dental work but important to get it done.  Good luck.

Warming up a bit.  5 miles.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Single digits here this morning. I didn't feel like going to the gym and I had a sense that I wouldn't get around to a run later if I waited for it to warm up, so I put on the winter gear, went to the local park, and ran 4 miles. Footing wasn't great so it was a slow one, but it was a good run. Clear skies starting to get light. I started with some music on an mp3 player, but after a little while I turned it off and stored it so I could just enjoy the quiet snow covered sights and sounds.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Single digits here this morning. I didn't feel like going to the gym and I had a sense that I wouldn't get around to a run later if I waited for it to warm up, so I put on the winter gear, went to the local park, and ran 4 miles. Footing wasn't great so it was a slow one, but it was a good run. Clear skies starting to get light. I started with some music on an mp3 player, but after a little while I turned it off and stored it so I could just enjoy the quiet snow covered sights and sounds.

Nice!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Hey all.

Bummer about the muscle Jay. Careful with that.

Just like Karen, we are expecting a warmer trend this weekend. Looking forward to that.

Nice Dave.

I'm tight on time so hit the treadmill for 5+. Looking forward to getting out in decent temps for a long run this weekend.

Good luck racers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

evanflein

Evanflein, that shin has been bothering you for a while, so maybe it is time to get it checked out.

Dang it... Jay went and said what I've been thinking to myself for awhile. 

Dave, that's why I don't use my iPod when outside running. Well that and for safety, too. I have a hard enough time with being spooked by bicyclists who come up behind me but I want to hear the car or dog coming my way. Nice to be out there and enjoy the quiet.

I don't know of anyone who uses the NordicTrak other than tomwhite.

So yeah, as Mike frequently points out, you guys should be getting a warm up soon because our temps will be dropping over the next few days. I think our "high" on Monday is -20° or something like that. Oh well, I wasn't going to go run outside anyway, right?

Ever wanted to see what "high noon" on the winter solstice looks like from here? Take a look: https://news.uaf.edu/featured-photo-week-104/

''I don't know of anyone who uses the NordicTrak other than tomwhite.''

.............been using it since 1989............

I'll give it another 30-years,

but then

I'm buying something new

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

Afternoon all!

big sigh of relief as the murder case I'd been assisting with settled yesterday, so now I won't be out of office for the next two weeks. 

and since I worked ahead to get done with so much stuff assuming I'd be out of office, I don't have a whole lot going on either! yay!   

Will run after work today. although i'll leave early to get in a run, because, well I can do that 

anyone have weather experience for Lahaina on Maui in Dec? I know this is starting to get into their rainy season, but just wondering what to expect in reality? a friend of a friend is going to rent us their beach front condo for $75/night. can't turn that down! With david's college schedule in the fall, we are limited to either early Sept or Dec when he's off on a one month break. Sept will be crazy busy as it is with getting him ready to move to college and freshman move-in week in mid september, not sure I want to cram a trip in also, although I know weather is probably more ideal in september. open to opinions.

Tammy

evanflein

Maui is really nice in December. It's not as rainy as Kauai (where we usually go). Just know that December is a peak time there so it could be crowded and really busy.

''I don't know of anyone who uses the NordicTrak other than tomwhite.''

.............been using it since 1989............

I'll give it another 30-years,

but then

I'm buying something new

Erika - Dang shin!  BTW, if you need a pair of crutches . . . . .    Cool photo!

Dave - Your run sounded wonderful.

{{{Healing vibes to Jay's quad}}}

X-ray of foot this a.m.  Showed up at the regular imaging place, stood in line for 15 minutes, then was told they don't do "weight bearing" x-rays there, have to go to the hospital.  I was quite confused, but complied with their instructions.  Ends up a "weight bearing foot x-ray" is exactly that - an x-ray while you're standing on your foot.  Who knew!

I do pretty good at the dentist, although a number of years ago I had a panic attack toward the end of a root canal.  The first root canal on the same tooth - no problem.  But then they realized a piece of the drill had been left in the tooth ).  So a couple of weeks later, back I go.  Between the wedge in my mouth and the rubber thing-a-ma-bob they put over my mouth and about 2 hrs in the chair, toward the end I started to lose it.  I've never done so much deep breathing in my life, and as soon as my mouth was free and I was sat upright, I just started crying.  The poor dentist was like .  I had the "it's me, not you" conversation with him.

Tomorrow is The Hub's 57th birthday.  As a present, we sucked it up and today paid off a line of credit we've been dealing with since "The Life Change."  I know it's a huge weight off his mind and shoulders.  It was the one thing that he felt was still hanging over his head.  Financially, it'll sting for awhile, but mentally it's a win all the way around.

And that's about it.  I should work out when I get home, after all the crap I ate at Bonkos last night . . . .

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I'm back - Those of you who use ellipticals, I'm not gonna ask if you like them, but do you find them effective for cross-training?  I've been on one once and it wasn't pretty, and I don't know how long it'll be before I can right my bike without butt pain and it was my cross training.  There are a few ellipticals for sale around here for about $150.  Or, has anybody used one of these?

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Leslie, don't waste your time or money on those little pedal things. If you can find a good used elliptical for $150, grab it. The ones with the moving arm parts give the best workout, IMO. They all have a slightly different motion though. We use them at our rec center and there's one I really like (not the one I used last night). The one at the hotel in NYC had a different motion and gave me sore calves, but maybe that's because they got a good workout and I didn't realize it until DOMS set in later. But yes, it's very good cross training and my DH considers it his version of running (no impact on his knees).

My cross training consists of pool running, elliptical and weights. I'm going to try to get to the pool this weekend.

I have used ellipticals when injured.  For some reason, I find them more boring than the treadmill.  I also found my tolerance of the elliptical really varied depending on the type.  All of these were decent ones at the gym, but the ones where your arms are working, too, and you are sort of going uphill seemed  not as good for me.  I wanted light resistance so it felt more like running and not like a stair climber.  When I've been injured, spin class (depending on injury) and hot yoga seemed to give me the best workout and maintain my fitness the best.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth