Masters Running

Sunday, April 25, After the Rain Runs (Read 595 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Tammy – nice run yesterday – 20 miles with a race embedded.

Jlynne – nice race for you yesterday!

Trent – I agree – extremely annoying, but perhaps safer…..

Enke – I hope you got lots of pictures!

Good luck Mrs. Twocat!

Hooray for Mariposai’s DS!

We had great fun last night, a great dinner followed by Mexican Train dominos.  Now I’m heading out for a run to try and burn some of it off…..

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

good morning!

drive by post.

I wonder how it went for Tom's DD?

Go Mrs. Twocat!!!!!

Nancy, a David report please!

happy Sunday!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So this was posted on the Marathon Maniacs' message board last night:

Just got notified that they are allowing those that need this race/state for MM and 50 States to resume the race on Sunday morning @ 9:15 AM. It will be at the football stadium. Park in Lot A and meet in Lot J.

They are not opening this up to the entire race field--just those that need are working towards a goal and the individual state has a relevance.

Yes resume means start where left off. For me it was 22.5 miles so I am running 3.7 miles....It is approved by the race director. It was noted that they will be at the stadium cleaning-up so have agreed to let MM and 50 State members finish what they started. It is my understanding they will give us a revised official time and will honor the fact that 26.2 miles were completed.

I may just go out and join in the consolation fun...

Good morning ladies. Sounds like a great night last night, Holly. How do you play Mexican Train dominos? Are shots of tequilla involved?  Have a great run this morning.

Good luck to Mrs. Twocat on her HM today. And I hope that Mr. Twocat posts pictures. Nice that he's on the pit crew, especially because the weather is supposed to be pretty lousy.

Anxious to hear about the Poland marathon... What a nice surprise for Mariposai.

Good morning Deb!

It's raining cats, dogs, horses, cows and sheep here this morning, with a wind advisory on top of everything else. I think I'm gonna sit down with a cup of coffee and read the paper for a while to see if the weather calms down a little. Haven't gotten my long run in this week yet. Hope the weather is better for everyone today.

MTA Trent -  that's good news you get to finish your nearly completed marathon this morning. Good luck!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah.  Heh.  I ran another 2.5 miles yesterday.  Today will be just another run, even if I go join the group.  It will just be for fun, not for marathon credit (unless I log it as 27 hours Wink).

6 miles this morning at easy pace.  The soreness seems to have subsided, but I still didn't feel overly perky.

I need to stop looking back at Monday and start looking forward to next Sunday's Frederick Half.

Wild weather this weekend - and it looks like it may be headed this way.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning all,

I was so beat tired yesterday I didn't get a chance to post my run. Overall 23.8 miles - 3:44:25 - 9:26 easy ave pace.

My 5K race in the middle was interesting to say the least. As I ran from home to the race site, it was raining fairly hard and I debated whether to even race or not.....................right, like I am going to bag a race. I decided to "somewhat" race this race, but not all out because it was going to be a 20 plus mile day also. Horn sounded - still pouring rain - and I was super surprised how many other runners show up. I took off and took it somewhat easy and tried not to go anaerobic, and my 1st mile was 6:46 and that was good and I felt comfortable. Second mile was 6:35 pace so I was slowly speeding up, but still not running so hard that I was swearing off running one of these buggers again . Well due to the rain, and having one spot at the beginning of mile 3 that was ran on grass, my left foot hit the wet and grassy spot wrong and my left leg slid waaaaaay out in front of me and I did the splits................guys don't do splits and not hurt themselves. It took me some time to get up and run again, but I finally finished and my last mile was something around 8:00 ish pace and my time as I looked at the clock was 21:00 something as I really didn't care and I forgot to turn my watch off. I went inside and ate a cookie and drank plenty of water because I was sweating like a pig because it was super humid and muggy out. I didn't want to hang around very long and get cold, so I took off running and tried to determine if I could still run and finish my long run with groin pull. I guess I felt ok and continued on, but at mile 21 my groin started hurting so bad I didn't think I would make it home. I tried to walk a little bit, but actually walking made it hurt more than running so I ran slowly to mile 23.8......and I could NOT run any further because of the pain. I then had about 2 miles to make it home so I walked - walking backwards actually felt the best - but I was hurting so much I just wanted to get home and for the pain to stop.

Finally made it home and took some Ibu which made me feel better. Funny, this morning my groin doesn't really hurt at all, but I have had this injury before and it usually goes away real quickly. I am going out for a easy 6 or 7 to make a 30 mile weekend, but if I feel very much pain I will bag it.

Oh yeah, I left before the awards ceremony to finish my run, but later found out I was first in my AG, and I need to go pick my ribbon and door prize up some time .....even considering my incident, I thought I was still ahead in the Ole folks AG

Looking forward hearing about Twocats DW race

Happy Erika is feeling better

Nancy's son's Marathon.......tapping toes

Glad you had a fun party Holly.....enjoy your calorie busting run 

Great job Tammy and Laura..................you guys rocked your race and LR

I know Trent from seeing him post somewhere else her at RA. (ornery guy)....Plus, me and him went to different schools together

dg......still being a good Girl, yes?

Hope you can get your run in Jlynne

Well, off on my run....will check back in later. Have a great Day Everyone!!!!

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Trent – that is pretty cool of the race director to do that.

Jlynne – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Train ...no tequila, although we had a very nice wine selection....

Tim - ouch!  Congrats on 1st AG, but be careful for a few days, okay?

DD begged to go running with me today, so I put her bike on the rack and we drove down to the river to run along the trail. 

During the our run we:

Stopped to look at anthills in the dirt

Watched a pair of geese hustling their tiny newborn chicks into the river

Stood under the railroad trestle as a train roared overhead

Hit make-believe home runs and ran the bases at the baseball fields

Picked out different water birds in the river

Had a long conversation about the nature of goose poop

Afterward we stopped at Tim Horton’s for a donut.

5 slow and easy miles.  Not much in the way of calories burned, though.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Had a long conversation about the nature of goose poop

Can you tell US about the nature of goose poop Holly? What a great mother-daughter outing you had today. Those are the ones you need to remember when she turns 16 and starts hanging around with guys!

Glad you're okay this morning, Tim. Congratulations on finishing first in your AG.

Still waiting for the rain to stop....

Holly - your run today sounds just wonderful, goose poop and all.

Enjoying a rare Sunday morning of lolling around, recovering from last night's performance and yesterday's move.  We took all of the stuff out of Mom's house that we don't want to get rid of but haven't really figured out what to do with yet and had most it put in my basement.  As a result of the overflow, my house looks like it could be in an episode of "Hoarders."  Immediate goal:  one bag of trash actually put in the dumpster or one box of stuff actually delivered to Goodwill every day until I'm down to the stuff I really want to keep.  That should keep me busy at least until the end of the school year.  

I did score a great new (hand me down) sofa to replace my, uh, vintage one from ikea, circa the mid-80s, so at least my hoarders-inspired living room doesn't look like a hoarder-inspired college dorm any more.  There is great potential here!

Last night's gig with the symphonic choir I sing with was fun - a great reward after a mostly-boring rehearsal process.  The work was a stretch for a lot of folks in the group, which put me into impatient-gifted-kid mode whenever we had to review yet again a part that I'd already learned.  Oh, yeah, and it's much more fun to perform on a Saturday night when I'm relaxed than rehearse on a weeknight when I'm exhausted from school!

Oh, running . . . . too tired yesterday from the move and Friday night's rehearsal.  Forecast looks good for a run later today - after some dumpster-trekking and maybe a nap!    If rain, wind, and thunder are out there, it'll be bike trainer this evening.  

Hope everyone's staying safe from the wild storms out there.

eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

lamerunner

Greetings.  I am in my office procrastinating on getting some seminar materials done... No woodpeckers but many other noisy birds got me up around 6 this morning, the one day I could have slept in. Oh well. I eventually got out and ran about 8 miles . Some leg fatigue but I felt ok.

Yesterday I ran 5 miles in the morning then later in the day  took DS out to Lake Massabesic where we rode mountain bikes for about an hour and a half, mostly on rail trail and fire roads but I showed him some of the  single track stuff. He has a new mountain bike with tires as big as mine so he can pedal pretty fast now. In between I went to DD track meet and DS soccer game, so I was on my feet or moving most of the day.  This week, my legs notice  this sort of thing.

Tomorrow I am heading to Vermont with DD to start looking at colleges. Kids are off this week for April vacation. This is causing no end of logistics but we shall survive.

Good runs to all!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning ..... err is is afternoon?

Out for 3 miles this morning in my new Brooks Adreneline shoes and I think I like them!    The bottoms of my feet were happier.   I kind of tossed and turned last night as I was sore and tired from my late day 8 miles yesterday.   To think I used to be able to run double that amout, my body sure doesn't remember that.  Big grin

We just took in 2 outdoor cats that were destined for death.   When I gave the lady a check for the Heaven Can Wait organization she gave me a huge hug.   They are pretty scared, so I haven't really seen them yet.   I feel good though helping otherwise unwanted animals.

Happy Saturday and good running gang!   Especially Tammy with that 20 miler!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Head Procrastinator

<tapping foot> Where is holly's RR </tapping foot>
                            ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                            Mariposai

Krakow Marathon race report...hot from the press from Poland to your house.

I just finished talking on the phone with my new marathoner. He finished his race just a tad under 6 hours. He was aiming at about 5 hours, but he got a bad cramp and charlie horse at around mile 14 and from there on it was just a torture trot to the finish line. I am so excited about my marathoner. He is not really your runner nor athlete type, so for him to finish a marathon is a huge accomplishment. This mama's heart is beaming with pride and what a sweet thing for him to run a marathon as my mother's day present. Now he wants to run one with me when he comes back to the States.

Fashion report and pictures yet to come...but rest assure I am pretty sure "Red Door" perfume was not applied

10 miles this morning to keep son David and Mrs. twocat company during their glorious victory lap. I just got a text from twocat, she finished her half marathon and she is no longer a half mari virgin. Congrats Mrs. Twocat. I am so proud of both of them.

Pictures from my run today.

Apple trees in bloom

Pear trees in bloom

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Successfully survived both races this weekend (and 3 in 5 days). PR in both the triathlon and half, but just because they were firsts. Race reports to follow later, thanks to everyone for all the well wishes.