Masters Running

Conservatives, liberals, and the power of groupthink (Read 691 times)

I confess that Tramps was right all along in his instincts about me: I am a rather conservative fellow in some ways. As a conservative, and an aging conservative at that, I tend to like many of the things I am used to, such as clean water, clean air, plenty of open space, plenty of fish in the ocean, a healthy variety of plants and animals on the land--things like that. In the old days, it was "conservative" to care about the natural world, and it was "progressive" not to care. Nowadays, it has become "liberal" and "left-wing" to care about these things, even "radical." Nowadays, people who label themselves "conservatives" or "Republicans" often become irritated or even angry when reminded that our planet's water, air, flora, and fauna are all going to hell in a handbasket, and that maybe human overpopulation is a common factor in these problems. They often tend to deny these problems exist, or dismiss them as unimportant or easily solved, despite evidence to the contrary. I am puzzled as to how such people can call themselves "conservatives": evidently there is a good deal of unclear thinking going around. Another word for this unclear thinking is "groupthink": in which the members of a group brainwash themselves to adopt a collection of beliefs, no matter how unlikely; and brainwash themselves to dismiss contrary evidence, no matter how compelling. Evidently, political parties change over time: their priorities change, and the meanings of their labels change. However, one thing about political parties does not change: their inability to escape the clutches of groupthink, and their determination to pursue power rather than truth. As an earnest individual observer, I try to use my own common sense to look at the world around me, and to form my own judgments about what is right, what is wrong, and what should be done, in a spirit of tolerance and with historical perspective, to right the wrongs. For all these reasons, I will never fit well in any political party, and other people--especially those who belong to parties--will always misunderstand me and mischaracterize my views, as has happened here repeatedly. I find it particularly telling that when I say one thing, I have then been attacked as if I had also said several other things which I did not say. Here is my theory to explain this phenomenon: most people tend to adopt their own opinions from the groups they belong to. After adopting their group's opinions, they convince themselves (through an irrational process I cannot explain, but which is probably related to a desire for security, acceptance, and approval) that the opinions are true. Without consciously understanding that they are doing this, they imagine that everyone else does the same thing. Then, when they see someone express an opinion which is not part of their own groupthink, they try to classify the opinion by identifying the groupthink they believe it must come from. This is why, when I attacked Republican fiscal policy the other day, I was promptly attacked personally and labeled as "loony," with my opinions labeled as "garbage." I was labeled as a left-wing Obama supporter and a whole bunch of other things which I am not. This irrational outburst was uncharacteristic of the person who attacked me, and he later apologized. But the most revealing thing was this: in his apology he wrote a long list of current political issues that upset him. I had not expressed an opinion on any of those other issues, but in his initial reaction to me, he acted as if I had. He wrapped me in a thick blanket of opinions I had never expressed, and dismissed my opinion on fiscal policy based on those other opinions with which he had automatically associated me. He seems to be a good and decent person, and an intelligent person. If he had not identified a threat to his groupthink, and reacted reflexively, I suspect he would have agreed with the burden of my argument, which was not very original or clever, but mostly common sense (e.g., don't spend money you don't have; don't raise spending when there is already a large deficit; don't cut taxes when there is already a large deficit; don't simply print more money as a way to avoid cutting spending or raising taxes). I do not expect humanity to face squarely and intelligently the problem of how to survive in a world of limited resources, till catastrophes occur, if even then. Because when the dangers are greatest, and survival is most difficult, people will then most of all seek the safety of groups, and the blinding power of groupthink, with its fierce irrationality and its desire to trample other groups rather than seek truth, will be rampant. Dark Horse
    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
    BTY

Hi Dark Horse. How's it going? Brian
        Hi Tim! I'm wondering if you will be entering politics within a short while... DH for governor! (wait, better start smaller...DH for Town Council!)
          Dark dark horse: You need to join a step aerobics class, that's how Palin got her politcal start (as written in the New Yorker) I think we need more love and less oil for the fire, IMHO.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

The Jogger

I use to think you were a real right winger, then I read some of your articles on here and have to admit began to think you were a bit of a democrat. In the end I believe you just speak the truth and say it as it is. something no politician can seem to do. Keep it up. Now what group do I come under? Roy
              Very well written. DH. I understand completely where you're coming from.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Good food for thought, Dark Horse.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

#artbydmcbride

Hippie! Big grin

Runners run

Hi Tim. Good to see you back here. You are one reason I keep coming back to lurk again. Smile I've read some of the recent discussions here but not all. One thing I didn't understand in one of your earlier post was your comment about a "primitive culture" in the Middle East. Did I quote that term right? I can't find where you said it... what did you mean by that? Not offended (and you know I'm from that other, more cultured place Wink) but I didn't understand it. Your friend, Soundie
                      One thing I didn't understand in one of your earlier post was your comment about a "primitive culture" in the Middle East. Did I quote that term right? I can't find where you said it... what did you mean by that?
                      Soundie, I do not pretend to be a Middle East expert. I only know what I read. In much of the Middle East, women are oppressed, political development is stymied by non-democratic regimes, educational systems are dogmatic and religion-based, the press is not free, the economy is less advanced than in the West, housing and water and sewer services and trash removal and public health are sometimes primitive by our standards. However, this is not true everywhere in the Midde East: there are wild variations between countries and within countries. Dark Horse
                      JustAl

Overpopulation. Not enough people dying. We don't talk about that end very much, except maybe in "Logan's Run"
                          Overpopulation. Not enough people dying. We don't talk about that end very much, except maybe in "Logan's Run"
                          Remember Soylent Green? I mentioned the other day, ecosystems have a way of dealing with populations that outgrow their resources. But if you're a member of that population, it's not pretty. Dark Horse
                          JustAl

I think the book was called Make Room! Make Room!
                              Hippie! Big grin
                              DH//........am mailing you some Purple Pills...... .....take two every day til The Election's over....... then goto Three.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Renee the dog

Remember Soylent Green?
                                Yes, and I cackled the first time I saw you reference that. There are just some things that you can say in an age-based forum that up your chances for not having to 'splain things.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!