Masters Running

Wednesday, Oct. 14 Runs & Rests (Read 389 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

Today was going to be a rest day for me, but I felt the urge to get out for a recovery run after Tone Zone last night.   That teacher is making sure we have buns of steel with all the squats she has us do ....!!!     I snuck out without Brinkley so I could just go a little slower and work out the soreness.   4 miles - 10:47 pace - 38°

Tonight I'm having a group of women over for a jewelry party and I also set up a bottle display as a test run.  I figure I'll have a couple of glass of wine and take tomorrow off as I have now run 6 days in a row.

Happy Hump Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Morning, gang!

Mary - you deserve the day off tomorrow!  Good luck with the jewelry party!

TomW - good to see your post - sorry you are on the disabled list!

News on baby Leo??

The hamstring was twinging again this morning, so I aborted the planned track speedwork session.  It pained me to watch DH doing his Yasso 800's, but I didn't give in to the urge.  39 degrees here this morning - a bit brisk for my 6 easy miles @ 9:48 and 141 AHR. 

As DH and I were driving through campus this morning, we spotted a fox vixen on a leisurely stroll across the lawn.   We stopped to watch her, and she just ignored us and went about her business. Wish I had had a camera. 

Good runs all! 

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Slo

Nice running streak Mary. Enjoy the wine !

A good "brisk" but easy six Sue.

I'm starting to tweak really bad......I've done nothing since last Friday.  It's been great running weather too.

Short easy run with my 5th grade 5k group this morning. I may run again later.

Needed to comment on CNY's last race report. CNY it's a good thing we haven't met yet, my mother warned me to stay away from fast women.

We see foxes in our neighborhood every few months.  I'm glad they seem to stay away from the cat.  Maybe the dog smell keeps them away from our yard, where beercat spends most of his time.

Sorry, slo -- it's hard, but you'll be better after the healing is completed.

Running with the 5th graders sounds like fun.  On facebook, one of my classmates from 6th grade posted the class picture which was taken then.  We're having fun going down memory lane...

Still tapering for Newport this weekend

7.1 miles, 1:01:02, 8:36/mi, AHR 143 (73% MHR)

3@8:59(134), 2@7:59(152), 2.10@8:37(145)

Some minor discomfort in adductor and down inside thigh I'm trying to ignore.  Doesn't bother me too much for these short runs so hopefully it won't be an issue on Sunday.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Buns of Steel Mary... nice!

I started resting my knee yesterday but ended up moving DD1's stuff into her new apartment. 2 van loads including the Couch of Steel.  This thing is a 1950's era sleeper sofa with that steel they made back then (remember when Schwinn bicycles weighed a ton?).  DD1's new place is on the third floor.  She got a couple strong guys to help us. On this end it was me and a high school aged neighbor kid to load it onto the van.. Quite the workout that one. So NOW I'll let the leg start healing for the marathons.  Kept thinking about Tim's calf pull while doing that lifting.  Luckily no harm done.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Best of Luck this weekend PDR and WRFB as you go for Maniac status.  I cannot imagine two Fulls inside 14 days ...

3.5 easy miles today at 9:18 pace.  I'm not nervous which is not normal.  I'm sure I'll be my usual basket case on Saturday.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Henrun

We're leaving this evening for a bike tour of Andalusia, Spain. Getting anxious to leave. We're on a commercial tour but know most of the people on the tour since we often ride with them either in MA. or RI. Looking forward to good food, fine wine and warm temps, as well as good companionship.     

Did 2 short runs, one a 4 miler last night (a rare night run) and a 3 miler this morning. Our first two days on our tour will be on our own in Seville. Hope to get in some running then before the biking starts.

On this morning's run, also had some wildlife sighting-a beautiful tall gray egret on the reservoir pond that I often circle.

Slo

We're leaving this evening for a bike tour of Andalusia, Spain. Getting anxious to leave. We're on a commercial tour but know most of the people on the tour since we often ride with them either in MA. or RI. Looking forward to good food, fine wine and warm temps, as well as good companionship.     

Did 2 short runs, one a 4 miler last night (a rare night run) and a 3 miler this morning. Our first two days on our tour will be on our own in Seville. Hope to get in some running then before the biking starts.

On this morning's run, also had some wildlife sighting-a beautiful tall gray egret on the reservoir pond that I often circle.

Have a wonderful trip !

The Sangria flows like water in Spain.

Marathon Maniac #957

I finally got a chance to go back to see Spareribs’ DS playing Maple Leaf Rag – what a talented boy!

Buehrle – that video yesterday brought some tears to my eyes as well.

Erika – what an awesome meet-up!  Oh, and the race was pretty awesome, too.  Looking forward to the details.

What’s this about Ileneforward and Dromedary having superb races?  Where are the details?

Aamos – I LOVE that song!

TomWhite – I miss you!

Mariposai – Congratulations on your highest mileage week ever!  And I’m working on pizzazz and calmness....

Today’s run was everything yesterday’s wasn’t.  For starters, I woke up 4 ½ lbs lighter today than yesterday (How the heck does THAT happen? I never have fluctuations that large.  Jlynne was right after all.), so I felt less like a cow and more like a gazelle.  My legs felt sproinky and light and speedy.

6.7 sproinky miles, ave pace 8:52, with miles 3 and 4 at faster-than-MP-but-slower-than-tempo (8:26, 8:27).

I went to Dick’s last night and tried on a zillion capri’s eventually buying a pair of Nike running capri’s. 

http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?country=US&lang_locale=en_US&l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-199590/pgid-199592&re=US&co=US&la=EN#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-240403/pgid-240405

I seem to be right between sizes, though.  The size below fits tighter than I like, and the size above fits almost too loose – it’s a question of, do I want them riding up my butt (sorry if that’s tmi) or do I want to have to occasionally yank them up as they begin to edge down.  I went with the slightly larger, since I tend to prefer a loose and comfy fit, and wore them today.  The jury is still out.  They didn’t fall down, but I don’t know if my fuel belt will be pushing them down over the long distance.  Plus I need to hem them, although, being so short, this is a common problem for me.  Still, they are VERY comfortable, nothing rubs or pulls the wrong way, just the right thickness for keeping my quads and knees protected without being “winter-weight.”  In today’s breezy 43 degrees, they were very comfortable without being too hot.  And they didn’t make me slow. 

The best part is that I got 2 lightweight black tech shirts, a UA short-sleeved and a Nike long-sleeved, each of them perfect to wear under my MM singlet, depending on how cold it is. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Enjoy your trip Henry and Marj!! I loved the Andalusia region of Spain when I was there. One of my favorites actually.

We are just having torrential rain here. All night long it just kept getting harder and windier. and my husband left for California for a week yesterday, so my fear was waking up to downed trees and a total mess out there. Well, it was a mess and as DS and I were leaving this a.m., there was just one tree that fell down across our driveway but it was a tall skinny one, so I was able to move it.  Thank goodness it wasn't a heavy one, or I'd have to call a neighbor with a chainsaw to come cut it up for me.

Today is my Friday as I took the remainder of the week off. Enjoy the day everyone!

Tammy

Tammy, we are having the big wind too.   The electricity was off in the night, which usually means a tree down somewhere.  No woods run for me today, but I think I will  go to the fitness club. This is assuming our 3 mile woodsy road is open all the way in.

hopeful4ever so those buns of steel . . . err . . . hmm . . . forget it.  Just get myself into trouble. 

SueT48 be nice to your hamstrings!  If they get mad it is a looooong time to recover!

Slo_Hand anytime you start to tweak just think of being me instead!  Should help with any downtime.   It is not easy watching others run while you are sidelined but you sort of get used to it.  The alternative is run, get hurt really badly, maybe do something permanent, run poorly no matter what, and get really frustrated is worse.

Craneium it is really great that you are getting those kids going on being physically active.

WRFB I hope your thigh feels great in time for the race.

perchcreek I suspect that moving stuff is actually a lot less damaging to an overuse injury than running.  My guess is no harm done.

breger1 hmm, not nervous . . . have you thought about a possible hurricane coming your way . . . how about gators, you have gators right? 

henrun enjoy your tour!  I have always wanted to go to Spain and never have.

Holly S. lol!  I know women talk about clothing like this all the time.  But as a guy, who basically buys everything online, reading it is pretty funny.  Seriously though, I hope all the glitches can be worked out.

TammyinGP wow can you do that for me on occasion!  Some weeks having Friday on say Wednesday would really help!

Just a quick report from yesterday.  I had my latest MRI.  Reading between the lines here is where I think things stand.  The bursitis is gone.  The inflammation in the hamstring is gone!  So far so good.  The doctor said the hamstring looked worn but normal for my age.  On the other hand he wanted to do another round of this experimental treatment I had before since he thinks the problem is that the hamstring is still a bit ragged from healing.  Against my better judgment he talked me into it.  The difference is that he decided to carpet bomb the area.  He took a LOT more blood this time from my arm.  Then he injected the part of the blood associated with healing into both sides of the tendon.  So now it is two weeks with as little walking as possible.  After that slowly start moving again.  Then see the doctor again in four weeks.  That ends today's news break.  We now return to our regular running channel.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dg.

oh, Twocat.  that sounds like very good news.  Smile

Sue be careful!   (mine are a bit sore today too...)

yesterday I saw a fox & a possum. 

Holly, so happy today is better.

Mary, you make me smile.  

soon we can say the Beers have bats in their belfries.

Big grin

best of luck to you both!!

any news from Jlynne???   sending out Baby Leo vibes.

too busy at work to really catch up.       

do any of you ever have problems sleeping during the last week of taper?    

3.78 miles this morning, it was cold here too.  33 I think, & windy.  but dry!  9:55 average pace 8:44 max.  I did just 4 sort of intervals, the fastest was at 9:11 so I was being careful.    Not that I wouldn't have liked to go faster!  Just didn't have it this morning.  And it probably wouldn't have been a good idea either.  Holly would agree wih me. Wink

calmness, pizzazz, calmness, pizzazz,  calmness, pizzazz...   ..........

twocat, that sounds painful, ouch!  I'm really hoping it works, thanks for giving us the update.

C'mon Baby Leo, we're all waiting for you......

Happy trails, H&M, hope the trip is Que Linda!

I have to go--back later, I hope.

grins,

A

rumour has it some yellow thing may be appearing in our skies later today......

Masters 2000 miles