Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 11.14.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (5.3 miles, including 3.3 to start Monkey week, and 2 post-work TM miles)
    Tramps (exercises +3.5 mile run)
    Jlynne (5.65 morning miles in 30° with a bit ‘o wind)
    Deeze (early AM 40 min. spin class + body pump)
    Dave59 (3.3 morning TM miles)
    Holly (5 recovery miles in 37° temps)
    Spacityrunner (2.5 pre-work miles in IRC, feeling fast)
    Twocat (elliptical day)
    Henrun (4.2 morning miles with hillage)
    Catwhoorg (5+ lunchtime miles + 8 post-work miles with hillage)

Tet (5 windy, post-rain miles)

Evanflein (4.1 evening TM miles while DH had a snowblower workout)

Good luck with Monkey week, RunnerKSA - thank you for volunteering!

Sounds like Tramps and Tribee were perfect hosts to Falconfixer and Mike in Richmond, and clearly led them to outstanding races!

Fatozzig, our alarm clock is a projection clock, so it shows the time/temp on the ceiling in red. We love not having to roll over to see what time it is, and it isn’t near bright enough to keep anyone awake.

Good luck tomorrow, and especially Wednesday, Twocat!

Congrats on escaping jury duty, Surly Bill.

Tet - we don't mandate that people racewalk in the Seacoast Half. Any kind of walking is fine. But most people can tell the difference between walking and running, and that's where we draw the line.

Thanks for the endorsement for the Seacoast Half, Mikltruck, Stumpy, and Henrun. I'll pay you all later... I would love to have all/some of you come to next year’s Seacoast Half Marathon (yes, there will be one) on Nov. 11. You can race, or I can put you to work! 

More post-race stuff: The dog was found (!), and we (the race timer) DQ'd a runner who claimed to be 98 years old, and finished in 2:14. I'm waiting for the course photographers to send me a shot of the runner with that bib number. There's always something...

6.9 RW miles at 4AM this morning in 36° temps for a nice workout.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  Holly- are you smart enough not to come back to Monkey?   I even have a Monkey tattoo - several of us locals got them over the years.....  I don't train in the park anymore since it's a little bit of a drive from my house and I just tend to stay on the closer (and flatter) routes and the park takes so much out of me....

3.2 miles this morning and that's probably it for today since I have a business function after work.  Have a good Tuesday, y'all.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet - we don't mandate that people racewalk in the Seacoast Half. Any kind of walking is fine. But most people can tell the difference between walking and running, and that's where we draw the line.

jay - what a great way to generate interest in RW, too.
        Still a little breezy in Seattle this Tuesday morning but no real rain yet so no chance to find out if, after the summer drought and five+ months of rainless running, I’ll still be able to deal with the inevitable inclement weather typical of the annual Seattle Marathon over Thanksgiving weekends I’ve braved whenever I’m here ever since the 1990 when one of the floating bridges sank on SM Sunday.  Fortunately, the course from 1991 through last year hadn’t yet been re-routed from the Sammamish/Burke-Gilman Trails to include the I-90 floating bridge.  Have to sit around the house all day, anyway, . . . in case the new water heater might show up “sometime between 9am and 3pm.”  
        In the meantime, even DW is taking advantage of the shower facilities, steam room, sauna, Jacuzzi, etc. at the fitness centers included for free in our MedicareB coverage.  Sure feel sorry for all the paying members thinking they’re getting their money’s worth while watching TV on the TMs, stairs, stationary cycles, etc. when they could be out seeing if they are fit enough to be able to brave the wind, rain, storm, etc., especially since it’s still "balmy" into the fifties and not that cold yet.   
        ps - how’s TW’s two week old Halloween hip doin’?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Quickadder

Started the day with the usual Tuesday morning 5 @ 5 with DD. Took it real easy today and had a long discussion as to why DD had a hard time with her HM on Sunday. Decided that it was a combination of many factors ranging from fumes from all the traffic in the adjoining lane on the main roads being used to it being DD's 5th race in as many weeks.

Reading all the marathon reports here is reminding me that I haven't signed up for my second one yet. Likely to be the Louisiana Marathon on January 15th or Zydeco Marathon in March. Perhaps a couple of long training runs will help me decide.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

TammyinGP

wow, a 98 yr old finishing in 2:14 - - can't wait to hear the ending of that story Jay!

No run again for me today. Board meeting tonight, which we are having at a local restaurant. Once a year, our VP treats us all to dinner at this nice restaurant on the Rogue River.  I suppose the President should be the one doing that - - but well, that's not quite in my budget  

I'll have some miles to pound out the rest of this week to make up for no running 3 days in a row.  This Sunday is our first group trail run - the ladies only group that my friend is putting together that I'm looking forward to.This Sunday we are running out at Lost Creek Lake, which is where I run that 30K trail run every spring. Except the trail she's bringing us out on is actually part of the 50K course that goes off the 30K course (which is just the perimeter of the lake.) I told her that is pretty sneaky of her - - trying to tempt me with some beautiful new trails I don't see when I run the 30K to try and lure me over to the dark side of running that 50K in May.   Leslie - make sure you let me know when you think you might want to perhaps join us and I'll keep you in the loop of those trail runs. She's doing these each Sunday throughout the winter, rain, snow or shine, and each wknd it'll be 10-15ish miles. Just maintaining a decent base until she starts ultra training again in the early spring. Maybe sometime when she plans a run up closer to my area might be a good time to join us - like the Rogue River Trail is a good one.

Tammy

Thanks, Tammy!  Once I get my miles up, I would definitely entertain coming up and running with you.  I have some work to do, though.

2Kitty - I'm going today after work to get another clock and try it.  That sucker lights my whole side of the bed!

Jay- May the 98 year old is really 89 years old.  Just transposed his/her age. 

I got in my 30 min yesterday, which amounted to 2.57 miles.  And it was one of those runs where about halfway through I felt like I could run forever.  I felt so good!

This morning was The Firm's Tough Tape 2 (lives up to its name - my arms and legs are toast) and some of my own core stuff.  The DVDs aren't specifically for runners, but there's a lot of leg and upper body work and it's definitely helping me to get my strength back.

Okay then - Work time!  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

spacityrunner

Overcast cool 3 miles on a flatter than my hood trail.  11:10 m/m.  Now thats more like it.  Yep, hills will slow you down. And...even better is the running skirt thats a bit to big for me unless I'm slightly overweight was falling off me today on my run.  I kept having to pull it up.  

Today the birds are all over my back yard ...so happy to have them back.  Bluebirds seem particularly interested in one of the houses I have out there.  Spring babies are the best!

Oh and I am waiting to find out the details of the State Dept buyout...they might just pay me to retire   Now that would be sweet!! (but I'm not counting on it)

Trails Rock!

Dave59

Drove into the office today and there is a going away dinner after work for a fellow programmer who is moving to Myrtle Beach where he says he will be working remotely.   So no time for any workout today. I did some squats and backward lunges at my desk.  Someone walked by and showed me how to do the Catholic sign of the cross while doing the lunges. 

I hit a work milestone so big that even Sisyphus wouldn't be able to roll it up a hill.  So I took a walk through town, got a couple books and a Moleskine notebook at my favorite bookstore in Charleston, and then some coffee and a carrot cake cupcake at my favorite ice cream and snack store. I don't usually get regular coffee this late in the day but this place has some good stuff. Driving an hour into work sometimes has its benefits.

I was left mostly alone at work for a few days in a row, and even when interrupted I was able to regain focus right away. What I finished today has given me a "work high" which is pretty equivalent to a real good runner's high. I'm experiencing job satisfaction at a level I rarely hit anymore.

I also hit the "gold" level in the workplace wellness incentive campaign today.  That will be an extra $500 in my paycheck (eventually) and 100,000 points in the "Applause Employee Recognition" website where I can pick out some trinkets or cash them in for an Amazon gift card.

When it rains it pours.

Well, it's only 3:00 PM and I have 2.5 hours until the dinner so I guess I may as well do some more stuff here at work.

I did some squats and backward lunges at my desk.  Someone walked by and showed me how to do the Catholic sign of the cross while doing the lunges. 

Haaa!!!! 

I hit a work milestone so big that even Sisyphus wouldn't be able to roll it up a hill.  So I took a walk through town, got a couple books and a Moleskine notebook at my favorite bookstore in Charleston, and then some coffee and a carrot cake cupcake at my favorite ice cream and snack store. I don't usually get regular coffee this late in the day but this place has some good stuff. Driving an hour into work sometimes has its benefits.

I was left mostly alone at work for a few days in a row, and even when interrupted I was able to regain focus right away. What I finished today has given me a "work high" which is pretty equivalent to a real good runner's high. I'm experiencing job satisfaction at a level I rarely hit anymore.

I also hit the "gold" level in the workplace wellness incentive campaign today.  That will be an extra $500 in my paycheck (eventually) and 100,000 points in the "Applause Employee Recognition" website where I can pick out some trinkets or cash them in for an Amazon gift card.

When it rains it pours.

Good for you, Dave!  **loud applause**

Liz - Now THAT's the way to have your clothes fall off!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - add me to the list of those who are interested in the rest of the story about the alleged 98yo...

RunnerKSA - nope, twice is enough.  More to the point is that I am having my "away race" budget severely curtailed by family and home expenses, and for the rare out of town race I will be doing (if that even happens in the near future), I want to pick up a new state.

Quickadder - several of us are planning to do the Flying Pig in early May...just sayin"....

Spacityrunner - I think I found your lost weight....

Leslie - it makes me so happy to see you working out again!

Ran out of time this morning, so just 4 miles on the TM watching the end of Rogue One.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Leslie - it makes me so happy to see you working out again! 

Yep--me, too.

Tramps--can I, please, come back and stay with you and Tribee...forever?

I know I complain about work too much in here, but it has gotten so ridiculous it's not even funny...not that it ever was funny.  I took off 2 days and, now, I'm a good week behind.  I spent the day just trying to dig out of a hole and keep up with our production in the shop.  I am, more than likely, going to have to go in and work all weekend just to catch up to where I was before I left...so...basically...I'll be charged for 2 days of vacation and won't get paid for the 2 days I put in to catch up from those 2 days.  And--everybody in the shop is getting sick.  If I have to take off any time for being sick--I get charged vacation time for that, too.  So--Tramps--have you taken down that bed, yet?  Okay--I'm done complaining--thanks for listening.

I went to the dentist on the way home from work and, now, I'm off to a meeting at church...it's a good thing I don't have to run, today.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Quickadder

Quickadder - several of us are planning to do the Flying Pig in early May...just sayin"....

Noted, but my non-running DW doesn’t want me away from home overnight so I need to stick with races within about 2 hours drive.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

catwhoorg

Labrat

12 Bike miles at Lunchtime

8 and change running after work

Then by the time we get home, DS has spiked a fever.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

coastwalker; how do you do it? I don't think I could even make coffee at that time of the morning, and you're working out?!

5 miles tonight at 7:57

which has become my "goin' for a run" pace I guess. It seems like all my runs with no agenda end up at around 8:00 pace now, regardless of distance. I have JUST enough time after dropping kids at home to go for a 5-7 mile run before it gets dark. It's going to get worse.

Like fattozig; I felt great in the middle of the run and felt confident that I could run that pace for 10-13.1 miles without pushing it. Clear Fall days do that, I guess.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, quick post.  Am out in Riverside, CA for a conference/meeting.  Essentially the wing leadership teams for all the units assigned to 4th Air Force (in the reserves, this numbered air force has the tanker units and strat airlift units).  Long trip from eastern NC though.  Did 5 on Monday morning, 4 this morning with another 4.3 after we finished for the day.  Two of those miles (on the March ARB track--which is 800m long) were sub 8--a little early for miles that quick after a marathon.

Have a great night everyone!