Masters Running

Wednesday, 09 March, 2016. Springing it! (Read 35 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

57F

4 miles

38:17

Just Ralph and RoseColoredGlasses running this morning!

Spring is springing up in Virginia.  What's sprouting in your world?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Slo

10 misty miles this morning. Just misty enough for beads of water to form on the ends of my eyelashes.

Not much else going on...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

meetings adjourning today so maybe time to join the park-and-rec's

biweekly Wed/Sat hikes this time up the old ski trail (about ten miles

down the road from Sunday's 20th reunion adventure on the current

slopes) I first hiked as a 14 year old in 1957 and every weekend

to follow in the next four years of high school ski racing.  we'll see

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning Rose and Tet and all to follow!

6 miles for me today on the TM.

I saw this on FB but thought I would share it here, too...thinking of you, Amy...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Nice Ten Misty Miles, Slo_!

Have a nice hike, Tet.

Holly, have you recovered from you sedation yesterday?

Enke, have you found your motivation?  You asked what others do for motivation. Starr mentioned writing activities in ink. I don't know about that. I think we have to recall what works for us individually. What works for Starr would not work for me. But might work for you. And I respect folks who can write things down. What does motivate me? I guess I try to savor the run and then, when I am laying in bed trying to decide whether to get up and run again... I might conjur those moments savored the run before. I crave those moments and I get up and go for that next run.

TwoCat, have things improved on the non-running front? What started as a post about a good run deteriorated into something else. As I was recalling your parking mishap, I picture the event in slow motion. Is that how it felt?

Deez, how is Steven today? He was once again in my prayers at daily mass this morning. Be well.

Robin, I am excited about your upcoming Boston. I wish you the best. You are an inspiration. I have a couple of friends who are running Boston this year, I wish I was going up there so I could introduce you to them. It's a big world and there are too many cool people to meet, right?

Spareribs. Are you ignoring my bridge talk? Please come to Virginia and bring The Saint. I will take you on a run through the Swamp and we can play bridge in the evening.

Starr, I get that a lot. "Bridge is a game for old people"  I think that might be true because older people seem to have the patience for a card game that requires skill and patience. True, one must be lucky enough to get dealt a good hand but, with bridge, you have to be able to communicate with your partner, you have to be skillful in playing a hand, and you have to count cards and remember what has been played. Younger folks might not be gratified with using the aforementioned skills. They might need more stimulation, more instant gratifcation, even more interaction. Our family has always been a card-playing family. My sisters and I do not remember not knowing how to play euchre, hearts, canasta, rummy, etc. Only 2 of the 4 sisters play bridge, though. Sisters 1 and 3!  And perhaps we play because our husbands enjoy playing bridge!  I doubt bridge will ever make a resurgence in popluarity because all the other options for entertainment out there but, I am happy to have grown up in a house where my parents used to host duplicate bridge parties. On certain Saturday evenings, men in leisure suits and women in pencil skirts would come over and my sisters and I would be banished to the upstairs. We'd fall asleep with Herb Alpert and the Tiquana Brass as our lullabies. The smell of gin and tonics and other cocktails drifting up with the offensive and unfamiliar cigarette smoke filling the house.

Oh my. I did it again. Please forgive me. I was back in the suburbs of Akron, Ohio in 1969.

MTA:  Holly!  Love the photo!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

I am wondering if Tet's DD ever talks to him in person, or just via the notes.

Glad Deez's son is getting better and I also wonder about the flu shot.

Tired this morning after not getting home until after midnight, then the dog needed to go out etc.  Up early to take DD to the orthodontist.  So no run and now I have a little sore throat but hopefully it won't turn into anything like Mike or Mariposai have?

I saw an ad today on the bus for a clinical trial to develop immune tolerance to cats (ie get rid of your allergy).  I always thought that would be a huge market if they can get a series of shots designed to help people with that, like they do for allergies to bee stings.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wishing a belated fabulously Happy Birthday to Marj and Holly! I hope you both had great days and celebrations yesterday.

Good runs this morning, RCG, Slo and Holly. Sounds like some good hiking, Tet. Uh, not so friendly photo, Holly!

I had to come back because RCG posted #2 and Enke came a'board. I also hope the sore throat is nothing, Enke. I wonder how many people use a cat allergy as an easy excuse to not get one?

I got my volunteer assignment for Boston today, and I'll be in the starting corals again this year. I'll be keeping an eye out for Marj, Robin and Aamos, plus whoever else we know who will be running this year. This'll be my 10th year as a volunteer, and it continues to be a great time every year - so much energy, and so many happy/expectant faces at the start of their journey.

Yesterday was interesting: 3.5 hour meeting in the morning, then voting (only 47 warrant articles + choices for various town boards/commissions this year), and then helping to unload 52 master cartons of toothbrushes in the afternoon. And I still got home in time to make a salad and paella for dinner. And then I dropped...

I was tempted to go back to sleep when I woke this morning. The next thing I knew, I was turning on my headlamp and heading out the door.  6.3 easy RW miles this morning at J o'clock in 39F breezy temps. I've started looking at the weather for my half on Sunday, and rain is a possibility - my (and TwoCat's) favorite.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I am wondering if Tet's DD ever talks to him in person, or just via the notes.

Me, too! 

Re cats and rubber bands - it amazes me how Wilson can find rubber bands even when I can't.  And he doesn't just play with them, he eats them So once in awhile he gets one if we're watching, but the moment he starts chomping - game over.

Enke and Erika - I, too, keep feeling like I'm trying to fight off something.  Keeping fingers crossed it doesn't progress.

Love the picture!

5 predawn miles this a.m. in quite the headwind.  Dang!  My body is feeling tired, though.  I kid you not, even my arms and shoulder are tired! Even though my legs felt pretty good, it was exhausting holding my arms up when running.  Tomorrow is supposed to be a stationary bike day, but may just turn into a sleep in and rest day.

Some lady friends are taking me out tonight for a belated birthday dinner.  We always have a great time together, so I'm looking forward to it.

Happy Wednesday, friends ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

I was tempted to go back to sleep when I woke this morning. The next thing I knew, I was turning on my headlamp and heading out the door.

So that must be part of the key to that early morning exercise thing... It doesn't ever work that way for me. My body knows exactly what I'm trying to do and fights me every step! That's why it's easier to do it later, when it's light and warmer out too. True, every now and then "life" gets in the way and pre-empts a run, but I know that happens to you early morning folks, too.

Holly, I'm very interested in hearing how it went yesterday. Helluva way to spend your birthday, btw. If you don't want to post here maybe send me a PM. I'll be where you are in, oh, maybe September?

DH and I are in separate vehicles today. It became pretty apparent that he wasn't going anywhere this morning, although he gave it a good try. I hope I don't get this bug that's going around, it seems pretty icky. So far so good though.

BTW - Don't nobody say nothin' about the series finale of Downtown Abbey, please!!!  I won't get to watch it 'til this weekend.

Now you may all proceed with your regularly scheduled programming ~~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

-EVERYTHING OLD IS NEW AGAIN-

went out to where Aamos ran her ''Blister in The Sun'' Marathon this summer,

hadn't been out there for several years

Amazing-

finished trails, beautiful lake, Recreation Center with real bathrooms,

ACRES of open Sports Complex fields

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<it was Much Improved,

75-degrees

did 45-min off trail with hiking boots and trekking poles

naturally

I hit a ''1-mile'' Marker

and

checked my time

''18-min''

On dirt, Up hills, With 2-lb boots, And 2-lb trekking poles

then

thought of tselbs and his amazing time clocked RaceWalking

and

I Resolved to NEVER wear my glasses when I work-out again

........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Ran the bridge last night (6 miles) so a little lazy this am and just did 6.  Very pretty day.

So does that mean you'll consider going out there in August, tw???  It is really neat--families and friends camp out in the middle with food and water so we can stop as we loop through.  And such a sweet little town.  I really had fun.

Jay, the one morning you maybe could sleep in, and you steadfastly volunteer at the marathon.  Will be looking for you!  (Of course, the 5K Sunday doesn't start until 10, so that's way late for you, even with the travel, yes, I hope?)

I might be stupid enough to buy the New Balance marathon shoes.  The company's local.  And in my defense, I usually rotate NBs in my collection regularly.  And I miss Boston.  (And have you seen them?  If they're like last year's:   New Balance Men's Boston Edition Fresh Foam Zante - Boston (M1980BOS)

Such an incentive for folks behind me, right?  Or too smart-alecky??

Have a super supper tonight, Leslie!

As for morning motivation, I wrote about what gets me going--will try to find it soon.

How much speed work you putting in Mr. "Not much else going on?"

Be seein' you and your gang in a month, Rosie!  Feel the Buehrleburn!

tet, you even wander down to SanFran for the marathon in July?  Great city!  Lots of fun!  Twist my arm!!!

Sayhey, my team is leading 2016 in 2016 this week!

thanks Holly!  We just had a sighting nearby last week, in Sanibel--and the goofy guy looks like a bit of a clown (and note how he seems to care not one whit about the vehicle):

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Slo

Hiya!

How much speed work you putting in Mr. "Not much else going on?"

None really...I'm not doing so hot on my long runs either but my weekly mileage is looking fairly ok...if that counts.

...aamos//.........yep, will definitely be out there this August

,,,,,,,,,unless

Pickles makes me take that trip to Germany she's been threatening me with

(didn't want to admit it,

but Last August I couldn't actually Walk

and driving a stick-shift wasn't a pleasure on those hills)

................pretty cool place now,

and

since it's in the middle of town,

it's my new Favorite Place to Not Run

http://www.localeikki.com/destination/view/9850

262-acres!!!!!!!

here's the website if

anyone's interested

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

first bike ride of the season - it was glorious followed by a short run, not so glorious.

aamos it's more then 15 miles that separates a 15K from a marathon...

nice runs and walks for everyone,

marj