Masters Running

Tuesday 4/2/19 (Read 40 times)

SteveP

Stumpy is off in the wild blue yonder. He had 5 Maggie miles before boarding. Flying is a necessary evil. How many "oohs" and "aahs" can a person have by looking over the tops of clouds?

Coastwalker enjoys a rest day.

RunnerKSA has 3.2 treadmill miles for breakfast and 3.1 outdoors for dinner. A long long time ago, I took over an assistant manager position in a hotel and created a new rule that we could not print any report where a customer's credit card number was on it. I took a lot of flack for it.

Tramps has a chilly 4 miler.

AnneB has 3.7 miles in the neighborhood.

Jlynne is making progress on her 5.54 miles. She's donning the candy making garb.

HollyS has 4 miles on her machine.

Joe618 joins the rest day crew.

Henrun has a 2.5 mile stroll.

Anzlo has a 30 minutes of strength training and 3 miles of walking day.

Tetsujin209 is hopping into the spring season. The stair workout hurt by back just reading it. His three miles seem doable.

I want to give Surly Bill a hug....Come one over here ya big lug..Mwwaaa!

Fatozzig has a little fun rounding up the cats. She has her PM PT mixed with planking. I'm sorry to here that the bursitis is so bad.

Notne celebrates "Rest the Knee Monday".

TammyinGP kisses DS good bye after enjoying 10.2 on the weekend.

TwoCat has treadmill buying tips and an hour on the elliptical.

Evanflein has a brisk two miles.

Dave59 enjoys 3.19 miles.

Deez4boyz has a late 6.5 miles.

Spacityrunner checks in with an update! It's good to see you Liz.

HopesMom cycles her way into serenity. She used a whole bunch of words and I understood every darn one of them. They way the were put together sounds exhausting.

I always enjoy and Econo sighting. I'm very sorry your HM streak came to an end. Ben updates are cool.

Wildchild disrobes during her 5 miler.

MikeE chimes in regarding his feeling on flying and boasts fro recovery speed work.

Monday AM I got 5 crazy dark miles at a pleasant pace. The sky was clear and the temps cold. The head lamp didn't seem to be enough. Without moonlight, it was difficult to tell the filled cracks in the road from the ankle turners.Tag and i got 2.5 miles after futzing around the house.

SteveP

Thanks, Steve and good morning!  Good running and resting yesterday, everyone!

3.5 treadmill miles this morning.  Still not wanting to go out in the dark, but it will improve soon.    Off to work!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Did a 3.5 mile walk with DW yesterday on the Clinton River Trail. The trail's free of snow and ice now and in good shape for my first run of the year there later this week.

Today we're driving down to Cincinnati for my uncle's funeral tomorrow (mom's brother). He was 95yo and mentally sharp to the end. He was the last of the previous generations that were around when I was growing up and it's a bit weird to realize that I'm now the oldest one of our (small) extended family. My cousin asked me to say a few words, which won't be hard to do for her.

I'll wave to Holly as we pass through Dayton later today.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

anneb

Good morning folks- quick flyby. I think it’s finally light enough for me to run my forest preserve path again! 🙌🏻 Ran at 6am today and decided it was only really dark the first 10 minutes. So- 4.6 easy miles and now off to catch up on work.

Have a great day all.

Anne

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks again for the most excellent recap/start, Steve. Yeah, it is always a bonus when there is good moonlight to light up the early morning sky (and roads).

Good TM start to your day, KSA.

My condolences on the passing of your uncle, Rochrunner. I agree that it's weird when the "oldest" mantle is passed to you. I'm not quite there yet, but I am aware that far more of my relatives are younger than me rather than older. As my benchmark, I count the number of relatives who have ever seen me without my beard, and I think there are about 5, including DW, for whom I shaved it off for a day when we were dating.

I went out for 5.4 RW miles, also under a moonless sky, in 28° temps. I was able to maintain a decent pace, but it felt a lot harder than it should have, with tired legs and a little bit of lightheadedness. We've got a bit of a nor' easter heading our way early tomorrow morning so, depending on the timing of its arrival, I may not be able to get out for a workout.

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Holly--in response to your query of yesterday, the answer is "no they weren't thinking.  Or if they were , it wasn't with their brain".  And yes, I'm assuming the person in question to be male. 

A lovely cold and rainy day in scenic Four Oaks, NC.  And of course, my rain gear is sitting in my hotel, a hour round trip away.  Oh well, I'll dry.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning folks. A busy start to this election day! Thanks for the recap Steve. Glad to hear your ankles made it through that dark run last night. And glad to hear AD was along for the trip!

I'm sorry about your uncle's death Roch. It sounds like he lived a good, full life. Safe travels.

No rain this morning anneb?

Dry out Kevin!

It was raining/snowing here this morning. I didn't feel like putting on all of the clothes to deal with that so off to the Y for an hour on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the recumbent bike and 20 minutes of weights and core.

Did anyone catch the new PBS series that started on Sunday night? "Mrs. Wilson" is the title, based on a true story about a British woman married to an undercover spy during WWII. Turns out her husband (who dies of a heart attack at the beginning) had 4 wives, none of whom knew about each other. Great stuff.

Day 1 at the candy store went well - off to vote and then work day 2.

Don't forget to vote people!

Marathon Maniac #957

I'll wave to Holly as we pass through Dayton later today.

I'll be waving back!

AnneB - you must be on the eastern edge of your time zone - it is not even beginning to be light here until about 6:50 right now.

28 degrees but without wind this morning.  I laid out my winter running clothes last night so I would have time to get in an outdoor run before work.  5.1 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anneb

I never thought about that but I guess so - I'm in Chicago, CST. Sunrise today still 6:32 but it starts to get lighter about 20-30 min before I'd guess... sunrise will start moving back pretty quick though.

AnneB - you must be on the eastern edge of your time zone - it is not even beginning to be light here until about 6:50 right now.

Anne

Joe618

Nice recap, Steve, thanks so much.    Nice to see all the activity and chatting!!

Ran 8.5 miles early this morning, in shorts, so that's good.   And it was early and overcast so not much light until I was nearly done. 

Speaking of dark,  I nearly ran into two fellow runners who were running towards me and I saw neither until only a few steps away.   I had my hand-held LED light as always, so presumably they each saw me.   The first one was in a dark section of the route on a running path.   The guy had dark clothes on and no light.   I actually heard his footsteps before I could see him.   Had I been listening to The Doobie Brothers Greatest Hits, I would not have heard him at all.   Near miss.    The second was at a different part of the path, near the street.   Oncoming car lights blinded me so I could not see a young woman, again in dark clothes, running towards me until just the end and I had to jump to the side to avoid her.   Oy.   All that said, I also saw four other runners out early who were well-lit. 

In the run, I got in my penultimate Hansonian Something Of Substance (SOS) workout of this cycle, 6x1 mile repeats.   Target was 8:58, ran them in 8:46, 8:53, 8:56, 8:49, 8:53 and 8:48.   And it felt comfortable.   One more tempo run on Thursday, then it's fully taper time. 

Rock your Tuesday, folks. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Thanks for getting us started Steve. Amazing you got flack about not wanting to expose people's credit card information. 

JLynne - That PBS series sounds interesting.  I'll have to look it up.

Roch - Condolences regarding your uncle.  When my dad's mom died (his dad died when he was young), my dad told his siblings, "Well, the cream has risen to the top." I always kinda liked that. So the cream has risen to the top in my family and The Hub's family. 

I've decided to back WAY off any physical activity, including PT, to try and get things calmed down.  I will only be doing exercises that I am pretty sure don't irritate things and no more walks for awhile.  I am certain the walking and bridge works are the main culprits of the inflammation, but I need to step back and once things are better, reintroduce one item at a time to try and pinpoint the culprit.  I don't know what else to do.

I guess the partners here at the office have been asking why two paralegals (one is PT) are doing secretarial work?  Well, um, because we dont have a dept secretary???   So I've been given the green light by my boss to introduce the office's new floater secretary to some EP work and see how she does.  If she does well, she may become our new dept secretary.  Unfortunately, she has absolutely no secretarial experience, but somebody gave me a chance many moons ago and ya gotta start somewhere.  Right?

Okay - Off to the races.  Enjoy ~~

MTA - I was posting while Joe was.  It never ceases to amaze me that people are out in the dark in dark clothes with no way to be seen.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Sunrise today still 6:32

Sunrise here today was 7:20.  We in the Dayton area are near the western edge of EST, so everything is a little later, clockwise.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

So I've been given the green light by my boss to introduce the office's new floater secretary to some EP work and see how she does.  If she does well, she may become our new dept secretary.  Unfortunately, she has absolutely no secretarial experience

Well, given that she was hired as a floater secretary, I expect it will not be a surprise to her that she is expected to to secretarial work...

dnaff

I voted.  6 categories and only 1 was a contested race.  But it is for mayor so it was worth my time.

My car is in the shop and the electric company is installing new poles in the neighborhood - so I'm feeling the pioneer spirit with no electricity and no car.  Just waiting around now for our 4 mile time trial late afternoon.   Run Strong everyone, and have a great day!

Well, given that she was hired as a floater secretary, I expect it will not be a surprise to her that she is expected to to secretarial work...

True!   I was surprised, though, that she didn't even know how to format a letter.  Baby steps!   We're desperate a dept secretary, so I'm hoping this works out.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance