Masters Running

It's Saturday, 11-14-15 and I hope you're running and not working (Read 37 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Taking a short break from work to get Saturday going.  Bid packages that need to go out early Monday meant no run for me this morning.

Hope all your days involve more fun activities.  Mine later in the day will include leaf raking.   I might prefer Word and drawing packages.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

,,,w0w,,,,just you and me stumpy........

got back from funeral,

did

40-min HH walk at high school CC course

with 2-lb hand weights and 2-lb trailboots (Asolo's, I love those boots)

now I need a nap

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Really, where is everyone??

The news from Paris is really awful.  When will this madness end?

I have some news.....good news....no, fantastic news..... I got a job offer!!  Whoo hoo!!!  I am still in shock.  I have been looking for a new position for 2 years now, and endured countless sleepless nights racked with anxiety worrying about my future, as my current boss is 71, out of funding, and has to retire this year sometime.  It's not easy to launch a new career at age 51 (almost 52) but seems that is what I am going to be doing.  Without going into too much detail, it is a small medical device company (a start-up).  About 20 young, enthusiastic people.  And a keg fridge!!  I will be assisting a woman who will be a great mentor.  We just really clicked.  Terrible pay, but it is so much better than the prospect of being unemployed.

It is slowly starting to sink in, that everything is going to be ok.  Satisfyingly, I just deleted my numerous and varied job alerts from Indeed.com.  The feeling I got cancelling those was very similar to the one I got when I deleted my online dating profile.  It's a place you are just glad to get away from.  I will be so glad not to have those job alerts filling my inbox for the next few years!

I bought some champagne.  Plan to have it at the cabin Thanksgiving weekend with my sweetie.  I think he has been a good luck charm.  Smile

Anyhow, was still raining buckets today so I hit the treadmill.  6 miles, the last 2/3rd of a mile faster (9:14 pace) only because my knee started to get twingy and speeding up apparently alters my biomechanics enough that the twinges disappear.

I hope to do 7 tomorrow so I can have a 20 mile week.  I need to lose my gut!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Woo Hoo!  Keg fridge!  Wait...was there more to that story?

moebo

Congratulations Enke! It sounds like your positive attitude has paid off in lots of ways lately.

I am very upset about the awful Paris news--it hits home because I lived for many years on the Bd Voltaire, near Le Bataclan, and my DD had dinner at Le Petit Cambodge the last time she was in Paris. It's very sad to think that my former neighbors were targets for terrorists.

The world feels like a very scary place today.

No runs for me today, lots of housework and shopping. Looking forward to going out tomorrow.

enkephalin congratulations! Great news!

My DW has abandoned me for the day to handle funeral arrangements. I took advantage of that to go run 13 miles this morning. My first run over HM distance since my 6 week heal up the hip flexor hiatus. They posted the New Orleans marathon course and I have to get ready to run it!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

enke, congrats on the new job.  Twocat, nice long run.

This morning, it was in the mid 30s and there was some wind.  I did 6 miles at an 11:17 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Enke -- awesomeness!  If you were on POF, your dating profile will live there forever!  Tongue

Stunned by the Paris attacks...

Congratulations, Enke!!  Your patience and perseverance have paid off.  So very happy for you.

2Kitty - Thinking about your wife and siblings.

Rant On

The attacks in Paris are terrible, but what also bothers me is the fact that 41 people were killed in Beirut on Thursday due to suicide bombers and it's pretty much crickets in that regard as far the news coverage is concerned.  And this kind of atrocity is exactly what hundreds of thousands of Syrian people are running away from.  Posie Lady had a great post on her Facebook page about this very thing.

Rant Off

8 miles this a.m. at the McKay with some power walking thrown in.  Made it up the whole .30 climb at the end without walking.  I consider that an accomplishment, considering how little running I've done over the past few months.

This afternoon we spent about an hour at the storage unit going through my dad's clothes to donate.  It just about wrecked me, smelling his smells.  I had to force myself to not bury my face in his shirts.  But his clothes will go to people who really need them, so that's a bit of a comfort.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

The news from Paris is really awful.  When will this madness end?

I have some news.....good news....no, fantastic news..... I got a job offer!!  Whoo hoo!!!  

I think he has been a good luck charm.  Smile

Anyhow, was still raining buckets today so I hit the treadmill.  

Yippee for your good luck charm enke. Fantastic to get a new job, especially surrounded by young, smart people.  It’ll make you younger too.

It’s bad enough when the scumbags run amuck with the freedoms we are blessed with in the United States but almost even more shocking and sickening in other, geographically smaller and less populated, lands that I used assume had even stronger controls to thwart them.  Yuk.

yes indeed, it was raining buckets today for a third consecutive totally miserable weather weekend since the Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run on Halloween followed by last weekend's In Unity We Run Marathon so what's a Marathon Maniac closing in on 200 lifetime marathons supposed to do but go churn out another 26.2 miles with about two dozen other weather-insensitive idiots. Most of the rest switched to the half marathon option.

Fortunately, it wasn’t that windy and none of the four falling branches that missed me by a few feet each time at Carkeek.  In addition, the 48 degrees was about the same as down in ilene-land today.  I wore a raincoat but seemed to get even wetter inside that on the outside so I didn't mind the opportunity one bit either provided by the double out-and-back to change out of sopping wet clothes into drier attire for the last 13.1 miles.  Even though they didn't stay dry very long, at least it was warm enough that I didn't get cold.

I sure would not have ventured outside today for anything on my own except the opportunity for another 26.2 miles of exercise I would never be able to get on my own initiative. Yippeee.  No wonder I love marathons so much.

ps 2C - I hope it doesn't rain in New Orleans.

If any, send it to me.  I guess I don't mind that much after all.

pps stumps - maybe I should have gone to the office too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Another marathon, tet?  In the rain?  You are just too cool.

Another marathon, tet?  In the rain?  You are just too cool.

++1

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on a wet marathon, Tet!     Glad it was warm, at least.  Cold rain is impossible to dress for.

Enke!  Yay on the new job!  And I'm so happy that you ant BE are doing so well.  He must live kind of near my DD - she bikes the Burke Gilman trail to school at UW, and I ran from her house to Green Lake last time I was there.

Moebo - why did you live in Paris for many years?  And when?

Twocat, I hope your DW is doing okay, and I hope she got out for a run to help with stress.  But you said you ran 13 miles - the first run over a HM distance in 6 weeks - and I hate to break it to you, but 13 miles is less than a HM distance!

I took a rest day today - actually I was too busy helping DH with working on our van to camper conversion to get out for a run!  But I ran 9.5 miles yesterday with some of my ultra buddies.   My DH likes to escape the winters here, and we'd be gone already, but we're not done with the van project yet.  I'll post pictures when it's done!  Today we started installing tongue-and-groove panelling on the wall and ceiling.  It's gonna be awesome.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Wildchild - Mr. Blue Eyes lives in Wallingford, about 1/3 rd of a mile from the Burke-Gilman trail where it meets Gasworks Park.  Let me know anytime you visit your daughter and we can run that trail!!

Tet - congrats on another marathon in this kind of weather!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Henrun

Lots happened today-congrats to Enkephalins and Tet.

Like everyone else our hearts go out to France and Lebanon. I just started reading a book by the former chief rabbi of the U.K., Jonathan Sacks -Not in God's Name -that addresses today's religious violence.

Re running: another week, another 5K-did a prediction run-59 seconds off- almost same time as last week.

Marj walked it (because of her injury) and still beat me.HerDD and GDalso ran-a3 generation race. I hope she tells you more about it.