Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 5.30.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s workouts:

RunnerKSA (5.5 morning miles, following the running group)

BerthaSlayer (3.1 nice ’n easy recovery miles)

Stumpy (4 miles, including ‘The Big Hill&rdquoWink

Holly (10.4 morning miles in 68-73° temps)

Flats (9+ morning miles)

PBJ (7 TM miles following fizzy lifting)

Catwhoorg (1600 pool yards, then 12.5 miles [7 X 1200 VO2max repeats with rain violation])

Evanflein (7.3 post-gardening, pre-wind & rain miles)

Spacityrunner (4.3 post-plumber, hot & hilly trail miles)

I hope everyone had a good Memorial Day weekend, whatever you did, and that you also took some time to remember and thank our veterans and those who gave their lives for our freedoms.

We got back from our trade conference late Sunday night (12:30ish), and we took yesterday as a recovery day (except I unloaded our 800 lbs of stuff from the U-Haul trailer so I could get the trailer back early enough to not have to pay for an extra day, and also did the grocery store and Trader Joe's shopping, and picked up my new RW shoes that I had ordered at the local running store). I only got in one measly little workout while we were gone because A) my back was hurting and B) where we stayed had wicked hillage (at least, for this flatlander), and I couldn't do hills workouts and then be on my feet at our booth for 8 hours. So it goes.

6.7 RW miles this morning at a moderate pace in misty/foggy 50° weather. I still have some annoying pains in my lower back, glute and shin, but they bother me less when I'm moving, so it was OK on the workout.

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Welcome back, Jay.  You were missed.

Apparently, I’m the only one (other than Jay) who didn’t do any yard work this weekend.  When TriBee’s back problems arose a few years ago, the vegetable garden was retired, so there’s minimal yard work now.

I did catch a couple of excellent movies this weekend, though.  Fences is well-known and deserves all the buzz it got at Oscar time.  A study of how good and bad can co-exist in a person and of the nature of responsibility and duty, Denzel Washington is terrific with the complex lead role.  Less known, Ixcanul (which means “volcano” ), is an amazing portrait of a young Mayan woman on a coffee plantation in Guatemala (available on Netflix streaming). In an almost anthropological way, the beautifully shot film offers a glimpse into gender, family, religion, power, poverty, and the allure of the US in a different culture.  It’s a really a stunning reminder that the world is a big place.  Both are definitely thought-provoking films.  Those are my reviews for the week.

Out for a muggy 5 this morning in some drizzling rain.  I’ll need to remind myself all day that it’s Tuesday, not Monday.

Be safe. Be kind.

Yes, order has been restored to the universe - Jay is starting the daily again  Glad to have you back sir, and it sounds like you had a busy week.

We saw "Fences" and I agree Tramps. Denzel Washington is an incredible actor. We've also been enjoying "Genius" on the National Geographic channel about Albert Einstein. It's been a great series. Way to break the running in the rain rules while Twocat is out of the country!

Just a hair under 6 miles for me this morning. Like Starr, we've been dealing with incredible winds here the last few days. Trying to play golf in 15-20 mph winds yesterday was not much fun. But they did die down this morning - at least temporarily.

4 days of school left. Call me one happy camper!!

Glad you are back starting us off, Jay.

4.7 miles in Livermore, CA.  I completely messed up my packing for this trip, and they had an unexpected weather change and it's freezing.  I didn't have warm enough stuff for 50 degrees, and thought I would be stuck on the hotel treadmill, but I sucked it up and went out anyway and survived.  The hotel gave me a paper with a route that purported to be 4.1 and was more like 3.2, but I had added some on.  Lots of flowers that smelled really good.  Breezy, cool day in not so sunny California.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Super busy end-of-month work stuff, so just a fly-by.

No run for me today, swimming instead - 46 times across the pool (1150 yards).

I realized today that my PTO stopped accruing last pay cycle because I am at  the 100 hour limit.  That means I lost about 2.7 hours of PTO.   I have vacation time planned in July, but will need to take a half-day off every two weeks until then to make sure I stay under the 100 hours.  The problem is keeping up with the workload when I take time off....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

catwhoorg

Labrat

Saw a window in the rain, thought I'd be able to get a good run in.

Not only did it start dumping on me, the thunder started up much earlier than forecast. An abbreviated 3.5 miles or so.

With hindsight doing my mostly out and back route was not a good idea. I have worked out a simple .5 or .6 mile loop that whilst repetitive and boring, is mostly traffic free, and will leave me not more than a couple of min from the office, should thunder suddenly arise.

#Safety first

I know PTO accrual is a pretty common thing, but its alien to me.

I could take all my days for the year in January without penalty (other than the rest of the year sucking due to no days off), unless I leave the company, where the final paycheck would be adjusted accordingly.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

TammyinGP

I had plans to be so much more productive than I was over my 4 day weekend. The heat absolutely zapped any energy I had for a couple of those days. But we had a nice thunder boomer roll in yesterday afternoon, dump some rain, cool everything off . Today is only going to get to be in low 70's so I'm leaving work at 3 and going for a run. maybe about 6 miles and try to throw in some faster paces here and there.

Tammy

Great racing out there this weekend friends!!

I have been plodding along swimming, biking, some strength work. Finally out in the lake for a couple of open water swims and this weekend took a long walk with my mother part of it being on a trail where I did test out some light jogging. Felt great!! I see the orthopedic June 15 and really hope to start back with some run/walking.

Today - 2000 m swim, cleaning in the old camper, 60 min combo upper body sculpt/core work, back to cleaning out the old camper!!

We have it sold and the person wants to pick it up today so dh and Justin hauled everything out of it yesterday and today it was my job to clean and sweep -- exhausting!! So glad to get it out of the yard but nostalgic thinking about all the fun times we had with our boys and friends in there over the years!!

Oh - and next up is a 90 minute myofascial release treatment then dinner with friends!!

Make it a great day!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

. I have worked out a simple .5 or .6 mile loop that whilst repetitive and boring, is mostly traffic free, and will leave me not more than a couple of min from the office, should thunder suddenly arise.

#Safety first

Good idea!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Today - 2000 m swim, cleaning in the old camper, 60 min combo upper body sculpt/core work, back to cleaning out the old camper!!

Heckofa workout!

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Welcome back Jay.

I am entitled to 80 hours of PAA  per year (similar to your PTO) and I use them. I enjoy my time off with pay. Some companies have a use them or lose them policy but our company just pays you out at the end of the year if you don't use them. I am not fussy about that option although some like the extra cash. I prefer the time off.

My coach slapped my wrist for running so far yesterday. (Geesh it was only 5k at easy pace).  He tolerates my streak so on rest days he wants me to limit them to one mile and wants me to only run these until Thursday. Something silly like a reverse taper or something. lol. Other than some minor leg fatigue which is normal IMO from long runs I am having no issues.  But I said I would behave. So I ran 1.3 miles today because I misjudged the distance of my loop.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

welcome back, jay, or, if it's in Japan,

"okaeri nasai, jei-san."

Today - 2000 m swim, . . .

Seems you're ready for any upcoming tri's, . . . unless you're competing with KSA's DS. Smile

You've got me way beat by a long shot, that's for sure.

After doing a MikeE of three 10-12 hour garden days trimming branches in case any trees decide to fall on the house again this year and dealing with rare DRY soil and, even rarer, temps up to 87o in the first three sunny-days-in-a-row Memorial Day weekend since 1992 and now being the longest dry stretch in any May ever (13-days), today's morning fiver was back to normal in the rain.  I'd whine but I'm used to it so really don't care about the weather one-way-or-the-other.

Since I don't do much of movies or music and, unless it's before 1970, if not 1960, never can get the Jeopardy questions about  'em, thanks tramps and all for the occasional movie/music updates.  However, I did watch the annual, . . . I guess, Memorial Day concert from WDC on PBS.  Very powerful.

ps twocat/mariposai - I'm sure it never rains much in Ireland but, without wanting to jinx you in any way, please don't hesitate to send me any rain in case it does.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

''No run for me today, swimming instead - 46 times across the pool (1150 yards)''

amazing swimming holly.........

=========

less amazing here

apparently

the heater to the Y's Pool got knocked out during Saturday's storm

THE GOOD NEWS-

I had the pool to myself

...40-min PoolRun with letters

.............good running guys..............welcome back jay

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

''No run for me today, swimming instead - 46 times across the pool (1150 yards)''

amazing swimming holly.........

=========

less amazing here

apparently

the heater to the Y's Pool got knocked out during Saturday's storm

THE GOOD NEWS-

I had the pool to myself

...40-min PoolRun with letters

.............good running guys..............welcome back jay

On a positive note, you burn more calories in a colder pool for the same amount of effort.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Welcome back, Jay.

We had company all weekend, so I have no idea what's going on in here.

I ran 4 miles this morning - my longest run since approximately Feb 10.  My legs think I'm an idiot.

I want to see "Fences."  I love Denzel Washington.  He's an amazing actor.

Last night on ESPN's E:60 we watched a documentary on Ryan Leaf, the quarterback from Washington State University who was the #2 draft pick behind Payton Manning.  It was a frank look at his rise and fall, drug addiction, and where he is now in his life.  Those stories always resonate with us, especially with the The Hub, and we were both pretty teary-eyed at the end.  A lot of the personality traits Ryan talks about with regard to himself are traits The Hub has, and I know he struggles on a daily basis, which in turn can make sobriety a struggle.  If you're interested in an LA Times article, here's the link.

My nephew and his girlfriend visited over the weekend.  Tons of fun, but my goodness!  We are not use to having company.  We stayed up late every night (we usually go to bed around 7:00 or so and read for awhile, but I'm usually lights out by 8:00), and we ate and ate and ate!  If they stayed any longer, I'd be as big as a house!

He told us he's moving to FL for a new job (he's a lineman).  Sad, because right now he's in the Sacramento area about 6 hrs from us, but now we'll have some place to stay in FL so we can go visit!  His girlfriend of only 4 months is moving with him.  He's 33 she's 24 . . . . hopefully it'll all work out.

Have a good one ~~

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance