Masters Running

Cinco Friday's Daily, 5.5.17 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s thermolytic workouts:

RunnerKSA (3.4 morning TM miles, then 1.5 quick post-work TM miles)

Henrun (2 early miles with lots of company on the roads)

Tramps (7.4 miles, including 3X1 intervals, with a little late knee pain)

Stumpy (3.8 morning miles in IRC)

Holly (3.1 TM miles)

dg. (Tetrun of 5.15 rainy but pleasant miles, then core work “and things” at the gym)

Tet (morning run with coastal fog and 463 spider webs)

Pfriese (6 EZ round-town miles)

Mariposai (3 afternoon miles in gorgeous weather)

Spacityrunner (3.1 miles in cool, sunny, windy weather with some hillage)

Evanflein (5.2 EZ miles - chilly on the way out, overheated on the way back)

Thanks Stumpy and dg for the excellent musical links you posted yesterday - the Duke Ellington was a nice surprise. I liked them all. Here are some more for you: some talented young kids; A good Winwood/Clapton collaboration, and a Lou Reed classic with a great intro.

Everybody with issues seem to be moderating/adapting their workouts accordingly to heal up, which is very good.

Good find about the Rowling/Galbraith books, Holly.

I hope David played well yesterday, Tammy. Sounds like he had a good season, regardless.

I’m glad you are getting some good info and help, Fatozzig. However, let’s not go comparing old a$$es, OK everybody? BTW, keeping someone waiting 2 hours for an appointment is outrageous.

DW is still down with her sister in GA - DS had another surgery yesterday, this one to deal with some broken ribs to ensure they will heal properly and not cause her problems down the road. DW says the hospital staff is great. However, she and her sister's son are both emotionally/physically drained from staying on top of things all week. Another sister will be arriving tomorrow, so we hop DW will be back by Sunday or Monday.

Yesterday afternoon, a small group of us met to start planning some work on our relatively-recently designated town forest. We have some clean-up to do (illegal fire pit and shooting range, and other dumped stuff) and then we want to establish some walking, running, and biking trails. It's exciting stuff, but it'll take a while to get it all done. First, however, will be the clean-up. So yesterday was a long day: I got to the office at 7AM, and got home after the woods walk at 7PM. But all good stuff.

7.3 RW miles this morning, taking it easy, and feeling OK.

Good luck, fleet feet, tail winds and big grins to all this weekend's racers:

05/06 evanflein - Chena River Run 5k

05/06 coastwalker - Children's Museum 5K, Dover, NH

05/06 TammyinGP - Bridge Run 5K, Grants Pass, OR

05/06 Opie - No Child Wet Behind 5k, Las Cruces, NM

05/06 spinach - Lake Minnewaska Warmup 10k

05/07 Mariposai - Bloomsday, Spokane, WA

05/07 rochrunner - Invest in Yourself 5K, Omaha, NE

05/07 Ileneforward - OC Marathon, Newport Beach CA

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Jay--nice to see you up to your usual good work.

Wow, lots of racers this weekend.  Go get 'em!

Pouring rain, a little thunder, and the knee's sore this morning.  I think I'll make it a rest day.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

You do have eclectic tastes in music, Jay.  have to check them out in detail at home when I can get some decent volume.  Hard to do at work.  But falling down the Youtube rabbit hole, I found this next to the Winwood video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y.  Listen to this a little bit ago and amazing guitars.

SRD for me.  Waking up at 6:30 and wondered how I manage to get up an hour or more earlier to run.  Weekend doesn't look promising, but will squeeze in 12 at some point.  Oh yeah, my negative splits from yesterday were real.  Last mile was approaching what i'd like to see next weekend.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

3.1 miles- wet pavement but no rain until after I finished!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

pfriese

Morning all.

Another easy 5 mile run around the park this morning. Legs feel good, so I'm thinking of running a 5K race over in the county seat tomorrow morning.

Paul

Jay - The City of Eureka purchased timberland about a year ago and all of us trail runners are anxious to get going on getting the trails built.  It's just off of the McKay Tract where I run regularly, and none of us who have looked at the map are clear on where the new trail system will actually be, but it's my understanding the main 5-mile long, well-kept private logging road will be closed to public once the system is in.

I also agree having to wait 2 hrs for an appt is outrageous.  The last time it happened to me (a number of years ago), I walked out of the office.  The staff tried to stop me, telling me the doctor was running behind.  My comment, "I've been hear 2 hours, my time is just as important, and I have to get back to my job."

30 min of core/upper ST this morning.  And Embarrassing Moment of the Morning - A nice looking young man walks up to me as I'm unlocking the gate at the back of our building and says, "Ma'am" as he's holding out my butt donut that blew out of my bag, unbeknownst to me. Bad Hair Day, Bad Clothing Day, Ma'am You Lost Your Butt Pillow Day. . . . .Yeah . . . pretty much sums up my morning so far.

Good luck to our racers!

Have a wonderful weekend ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

And Embarrassing Moment of the Morning - A nice looking young man walks up to me as I'm unlocking the gate at the back of our building and says, "Ma'am" as he's holding out my butt donut that blew out of my bag, unbeknownst to me. Bad Hair Day, Bad Clothing Day, Ma'am You Lost Your Butt Pillow Day. . . . .Yeah . . . pretty much sums up my morning so far.

Um, maybe an extra butt pillow to leave at the office?

I haven't listened to the music yet since my monitor speakers at work have this awful high pitched hum in the background. I copied the links though, so later. Several years ago I copied my son's music to my iTunes account. Now that's eclectic!

Wow, Leslie, that is a long wait for a doctor.  My clinics are not like that at all.  It seems like I barely get a magazine picked out and they call me back.

You people with forest trails are so fortunate.  I wish we did but it's pretty much wide open farm fields in this part of Minnesota, flat as a pancake for the most part.

Good luck,  to all this weekend's racers, have fun!

05/06 evanflein - Chena River Run 5k

05/06 coastwalker - Children's Museum 5K, Dover, NH

05/06 TammyinGP - Bridge Run 5K, Grants Pass, OR

05/06 Opie - No Child Wet Behind 5k, Las Cruces, NM

05/06 spinach - Lake Minnewaska Warmup 10k

05/07 Mariposai - Bloomsday, Spokane, WA

05/07 rochrunner - Invest in Yourself 5K, Omaha, NE

05/07 Ileneforward - OC Marathon, Newport Beach CA

I just noticed that I've been to 4 of these places, the Chena River, Lake Minnewaska, Omaha and Newport Beach.

I'm taking the afternoon off of work and hope to get a run in.  Just found out that the boat is out of storage and I offered to clean it. That may be my exercise for the day.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tramps - nice picture of  Twocat.

That's what my very wet eyes felt

like in yesterday deluge, too.

However, never heard of that kind of donut

but sure makes me glad I don't

eat 'em anymore, or even like them, , . .

expect maybe those chocolate ones with cream inside.

WAITING ROOM - sorry I couldn't have been Leslie's proxy in the waiting room. Even though I try to be their earliest appointee at 7:30 or 8:00 am, I always expect long waits.  However, now that I'm retired, I can outwait them and love it when they say, "sorry to keep you waiting so long" and I can smugly respond, "no problem, I'm retired."  Use it at the banks, etc. but worst is at immigration and law enforcement where a favorite preoccupation seems to be making people wait as long as possible to wear you down and get rid of you.  Current PR - 3hr/30min so two hours would have been a breeze.

RUNNING - with temps up into the seventies again yesterday afternoon and more rain predicted today, I thought it'd be worthwhile to get in some summertime practice so started back in the late afternoon yesterday at 72o in a t-shirt and Bermudas.  Unfortunately, summer only lasted a half hour as a Midwest-like thunderstorm materialized out of nowhere with sleeting rain and even some hail along with winds and gusts so strong out on the bridge that hapless cyclists would smile and wave as they went by out-of-bemusement for our predicament out in the elements. Passing motorists on I-90 must have been thinking "such saps" or something even less favorable.   At least the rain was warm.

ps - five miles this morning were in more accustomed showers.

I wonder how enke is doin' in it all.

SUB-TWO HOUR MARATHON?

In the meantime, NPR recently reported on Nike’s Breaking2 Project to provide the winner of the Rio Marathon and two other elite runners with custom-made NIKE ZOOM VAPORFLY’s for an attempt to run 26.2 miles in less than two hours.  The attempt is supposed to be scheduled for sometime this weekend on the 2.4 km loop of the Autodromo Nazionale Monza in Italy.  Less than two hours is nearly three minutes below the current world record 2:02:57,  Nike is counting on perfect conditions on one of the three next days.

They may need it as an Adidas Sub2 carried Kenya's Wilson Kipsang to a 2:03:58 in February over the Tokyo Marathon’s new course now confined to downtown streets and intersections featuring three 360-degree turnarounds with more than a dozen-and-a-half right-angle turns and 40-50 other ones too.

However, I kind of hope the weather foils a Saturday attempt so May 6 can always be Roger Bannister Day as it has ever since 1954 when we saw him do the first sub-four mile on Movietone News at the local theaters. Maybe it doesn't matter since the Vaporfly isn't in an official marathon and shoes aren't supposed to set world records anyway; people are.  Maybe they should only count barefoot ones.  Not that I would accept honors in the 70-74 AG category or anything like that.  Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tet - I saw your weather forecast on the boob-tube this a.m.  We're getting a little dampness today, but I think that's it for the weekend.  At least I hope so.  I have yard work and car-washing calling my name.  BTW - Love your "I'm retired" retort when left waiting for ridiculously long amounts of time. 

Starr - Start a wooded trail movement - plant a tree. 

Some of the young ladies in our office provided the fixin's for tacos today. Delicious!  In this office, you gotta act quick when word of food gets around or you'll be outta luck.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dg.

Jay I'm so happy to see you better... at least, it sounds like it.     So sorry about your S & BIL.

Thanks for the additional links.    I've only had time for one, but I love that version of Can't Find My Way Home!   Can't wait to see how the other ones illustrate your eclectic tastes, per Kevin's comment  :  ).

glad you liked the Ellington.   here's one more..  I wanted this one yesterday but couldn't remember the name. It has these little moments that just make me smile all over.   It always reminds me of Henry & Marj.  https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-mozilla-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&p=DUKE+ELLINGTON+WAY+BACK+BLUES#id=2&vid=b2a714b28a94257c23b3b89b97b69d1c&action=click

aww, poor kitty!

Tramps, we share your weather, without the thunder.   sorry about your knee, (but your timing is good)   ... I'd send knee hugs but my back is sore today.  Idon't think I could reach them.

Kevin yay for negative splits!  & for another  Winwood clip, thanks!    Funny about the youtube rabbit hole.   I've been doing something similar, but it's just a mixed up playlist in my head.    Zappa, anyone?

speaking of playlists, remember the ones we got years ago, I think from DaveinAA & MCSolar?    I may still have them somewhere.

Hi Starr!   Cleaning a boat sounds like fun.

Leslie,  : ).

Tet,   did you use your fingers to count those spider webs?   I have a hard enough time keeping track of 8 laps per mile.

Continued moderation at the gym this morning.  I tweaked something yesterday doing one of my pt exercises.  I don't think I did it quite right.       So just 3 miles with intervals,  then weight machines after.

Better work now.

Hope everyone has good racing &/or healing

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

i still have solar mix 1-6 in my rotation playing at work.  In fact the surf one is on right now!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

That poor guy looks so miserable.....

Steady rain all day here as well, so I did 4.5 miles on the TM before taking Rosie to the vet for her next round of shots.  A the moment, she is trying to chew the slipper off my foot....

Crazy afternoon working to get a caseworker all the documents she requested by 3:30pm, the deadline she set to deny our case if we didn't have everything to her.  The family has had two weeks to gather this information, but of course waited until the last possible moment, then was having trouble faxing them to me, ended up sending it all one page at a time.  (sigh)

Anyway, Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

catwhoorg

Labrat

Worked through lunchtime again, got 7 after work in a light rain for most of it

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Holly, I do things just like that family--wait until the last minute, then not be able to figure out how to get things to work.  They must have been pretty frazzled.

I went 6 miles after running with my little buddy around the block once...and then one more time with the rest of Debbie's daycare kids.  It's a little over a half mile and most of them were able to do it without stopping.  I had to carry one little girl a couple times....but she is so dang cute, I didn't mind.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

evanflein

How's the heel, Mike? Nice of you to run with the kids, I'm sure they enjoyed that.

2.8 EZ miles today, just to do something before tomorrow's 5k. I checked my history with this race. Holy carp, last year was sub-23. I'm hoping for sub-24 this year. I just feel I have no speed at all. I'd rather do a half tomorrow than this 5k. Should be good weather though, so there you go.