Masters Running

Monday, June 2nd Daily (Read 473 times)

Hi everyone. Hopefully you had a nice weekend and now can start the whole process of duties for a new week and new month all over. While sometimes the repetitions of life seem boring, the fact of the matter is that this also is an indication of stability which provides mental and emotional security. I know….I know…..too deep for the morning. I have been thinking all weekend of a good number of our group who quietly go relatively unnoticed. These people run but are not as speedy as our top performers. Faithfully they put in the miles but for various reasons don’t have the large number of miles at the end of the month that some posters do. There are a number of reasons that people are not faster or don’t run more miles. Some are in medical situations that they are working through. We also have people with schedules that do not allow for more running. It is always exciting to see new runners who are patiently building their base. There are also some who are working up the nerve to reach out for the next level in their running experience. Of course some are content being at the level that they are currently at and that is fine too. They are already getting what they want out of their running. What makes all of this so special is the fact that fast times, mega miles and solid performances in races bring gratification that is used to motivate you for further exploits in running. Meanwhile these people who do not experience these rewards, do basically the same things but without that same payoff. This is a solid example of doing the right thing simply on the basis of principle, because you know it is the right thing to do and because you want to. In some ways I probably qualify as one of these people. I do sometimes race but “backpack” when I do. No, I don’t show up racing with a pack on my back. What I mean is that at this stage in life, I will never be included in the front runners of the race, but instead can always be found in the “back of the pack”. However, there still is a thrill that is found in towing the start line and competing against either my own PR or the course, while enjoying the energy generated by the atmosphere of the race. If I wasn’t there, the fast racers would have one less person that they can beat. So new runner, regular poster, lurker, or whatever stage and experience you have in running that has brought you to this running website…..YOU are an inspiration to us all. You teach us much about running and provide value to us. As well, while you may feel that you are not progressing the way that you wish in your running, you still are WAY ahead of most of society. Your activity is helping your health, often in unmeasured ways. The tortoise and the hare BOTH FINISH THE RACE. In life, sometimes we are “David”, while at other times we are “Goliath”. The ideal is to learn how to act in both situations. Enjoy your miles this week and thank YOU for running. I am a better person from your experience.
    Vista

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Morning Vista. I try to sqeeze running in as a top priority. This week with 12-15 hr work days and working all weekend, it was tough but I got it done (55 miles this week!) Got in a 5 mile run with THAT hill here in Ripley WV. No stopping or walking but it was like one big ladder climb to the top. Hauled @ss down it which was fun. Drive back to NC after lunch. Bet Tory is depressed. Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Good morning Vista and Perch. 6.5 miles this morning in 55:41. A beautiful, sunny morning here. 54F and no wind. Nothing but birds chirping and blissful quiet at 4:30 when I left the house. Vista - you have a way with words. Whenever I'm feeling bad about my running abilities compared to the marathoners and speedsters that post here at RA, you make me feel like I am truly part of the group. Thanks for making me feel better about myself. Perch - congrats on your "ladder climb" this morning. Ripley, West Virginia. Is that where the "Believe It or Not" originated? You're right - I bet Tory missed you this morning. Enjoy this first day of a new week, and good runs to all. Jeanne

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning all Smile Thanks for your encouraging words Vista to some folk who may not run as far or fast as others, but we ALL are "runners" in this community. And as Vista stated "YOU are an inspiration to us all". Glad you got your mileage in Steve, even after having to work sooo many hours...shows your commitment and dedication to this sport of running....great job Sounded like a glorious run Jeanne....great job - wow, starting at 4:30am, what a commitment to running you have also Smile I want to quickly touch on a subject that is affecting many of us now....hot and humid weather. I had a 20 miler planned last Sat with temps at 82 degrees and humid, and had to stop at mile 17 feeling really bad. I thought I hydrated well Friday night....drank 30 oz of water Sat am before my run....took what I thought was plenty of water with me along with taking gels and E caps. Well to make this short, after my run I drank quite a bit of water, even had two beers with my lunch with a few glasses of water, then went home and relaxed. Here is the bad part....I did not have to pee till after 10:00 pm Sat night....that was 14 hours. I really don't know how I could have drank more, but need to figure this out during my long runs during these hot and humid conditions....this is my first year at these distances, so it's a learning experience for me right now. Just some food for thought Smile Be careful out there everyone!!! Have a great day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tim, I've experienced this same phenomena many times down here and am always amazed how much water it really takes on H&H days. You really cannot drink too much on H&H days, particularly on the really long runs like 20 milers. If you start to feel bad miles before you usually do, it's most likely dehydration. I probably should have mentioned this experience in Eliz's H&H thread but forgot to. Hydrate, hydrate, and hydrate some more. Overdo it if you have to. Carbs and salt will deplete quickly too. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Vista-I remember when I first started posting on CR,I looked at the miles these people were doing and thought Holy Cow,they're nuts...I always liked seeing my name with my weekly mileage attached to it...and some weeks it kept me running,so I would have a half decent number...Back then there was a 40/40 thread and I worked my guts out to finally get on it...Someone(I can't remember who)suggested a weekly run and crosstraining thread...so everyone could be included... Everyone is free to post on the Weekly Run & X-Training Thread...and I tally the results at the end of every week... Keep running everyone...and if you are injured...keep up the cross training!!! Gordon
              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                Thanks for the thoughtful start Vista and good morning all Today's miles were run to enjoy a beautiful day here in Massachusetts and iron out the kinks from racing----no watch, no iPOD just 3.5 miles at a relaxed pace after the kiddo went off to school. All good. Busy day ahead on the phone and writing reports. Until soon, CNYrunner
                  Good morning, all. Vista - another elegant post - thanks for putting these thoughts down as they impact quite a few of us here. Tim - glad you didn't have any more serious complications from your long run. I still think about the young runner profiled in Runners World who died during a hot humid run. As you said - be careful out there. Yesterday was my first taste of heat and humidity. DH and I did 12.5 miles on the Airline Trail - 63 degrees at the start with full sun. We got a late start - after 8:00 before we set foot on the trail. I should have had enough sense to slow down, but ended up pushing the pace and felt pretty carpy the rest of the day. Probably didn't help that I spent the afternoon landscaping. Beautiful IRC this morning - 7.4 hilly miles around Avery Point. I followed a deer down a residential street near the Sound. She looked like she was lost. DH and I are going to see Clapton at the Mohegan Sun this evening. I suspect it will be a late night (for us anything after 9:00 pm is late) so we're planning to sleep in tomorow. Yeah! Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

Recovery 5.2 mles @ 9:28 pace; 134 AHR; 68% HRR. Cooler today, which is nice. A storm came through yesterday evening knocking out power, which still isn't back on. After Tom White mentioned them in Eliz's dealing-with-heat post, I looked up ThermoTabs. Anybody use these? Why these versus Endurolytes or other brands? I was surprised that the directions call for use "five to ten times daily"!

Be safe. Be kind.

No running yet as I am planning on running trails with Topdown tonight so he can show me the trail for the race next Tuesday. It's a XC race that is only $2 a race, hand timed, no bibs, etc.. held by the local running club and Loco shoes. Then it will be burgers and beer at Topdown's. Off this week and prepping my camping gear for my trip to the cottage on Wednesday. I will share photo's when I come back. The running trails there will make a mountain goat out of me. I am planning a 3 - 4 hour run on a trail I have never done. It is blackfly season though so I will find out how tough I am... Enjoy Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning All! I took the day off of work, so I ran 6 miles this morning and will reschedule my scheduled rest day to tomorrow, seeing as they are predicting storms! Have to take Hailey to the vet as she's not feeling good, and then I'm going to wash windows! WooHoo! (not!) Also had a long run of 12 miles yesterday that I never reported. Better get at it . . . Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Vista – another great post – thank you for starting our week out with encouragement and inspiration. Erika – I know that squats and dead lifts are tough after a LR, but I’m trying to find a way to fit in my weight training while still having recovery days. I used to do all my weight training on Mondays and Fridays, my non-running days, but when I increased my miles for marathon training, my legs were having no recovery days, and maybe over-stressed. I know that muscles are built during rest, and since I don’t run on Mondays and Fridays, it seems best to do the harder lower-body weights on the days before (Sunday and Thursday) so that they can be building muscle on those rest days. I want to get back to my weights, but I don’t want to sacrifice a running day to do it. I’m still trying to figure it out. No run for me today – light x-training instead: hammer curls, bench dips, lateral raises, superman lifts, butt-blasters, bent rows, and crunches. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Very tight work schedule for me today so this will have to be fast. I ran a 6 mile recovery run this morning. I have to catch a 3:30 train this afternoon and hope to get in a 4 mile run before then. It is all going to be close! Tramps about the various electrolyte supplements I suspect this is an everybody for their own personal preference issue. So FWIW here is mine. I like Enlyten strips because you can control the dose as you run. Each has just 2% of your daily coach potato requirement. The capsules I find contain relatively large doses (often 100% or more of your daily coach potato requirement) and you get them all at once. I think it is too much. After all you are likely taking other supplements during your run that also contain electrolytes as well! How much of this stuff do you really need or want in addition to that? Typically on a hot run of say 13 miles or so, I just end up using a half dozen Enlyten strips, on a 20 miler maybe a dozen. That is a lot less than one capsule may give you and it trickles into the system. Well, you got what you paid for!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

pfriese

Thanks for the start Vista. Up early to beat the heat for an easy 2 mile run. Paul

King of PhotoShop

I'm glad twocat added that, because there is danger on long runs in the heat when you lose salts, then load up on more water. You can suffer from hyponatremia. I know I spelled that wrong but didn't look it up. Someone else can explain this but it can be a killer too. Happened to me in Long Beach marathon 2001. When you have a long rehab program such as mine you have to look for the little positives on every run. Otherwise the long comeback can be pretty frustrating when you don't have many progress milestones. Here was mine today. Either Perch or Breger, I forget which, once posted that the secret to a recovery run is to run very slowly until you get to the point where you really feel like running, then stop. It made perfect sense to me when I read it the first time and today was a good manifestation of that feeling. Having done 12 yesterday the goal was 3-4 slow today. So I started out feeling carpy as usual, foot a bit sore and jogging very slowly. I kep thinking "When is this going to end?" Well at 3 miles I felt fine and ran another mile feeling as though I could go on forever. It was so wonderful. Then I remembered the "rule" and called it quits at 4. Ended the run feeling pretty darned good. Spareribs