Masters Running

more advice sought - help me beat the heat (Read 356 times)

Oh, boomer/masters sages, you who helped me realize that cold-weather running can be enjoyable, who actually helped me to become pretty smug about the fact that I no longer shy away from running in the rain, I seek your guidance once again. I really want to just totally whine about how much I hate running in the heat, but at the risk of severe penalties for whining, how 'bout some advice about how to deal with it? It's only in the 70s here in the Delaware Valley, although the humidity topped 80% this morning, and my motivation is flagging already. If I'm going to follow through on this "Eliz does the Philly Distance Run HM" craziness in September, I can't let the summer heat be the excuse to exercise on the water rather than on land and thus cut into my running the way I have the last two summers. So, by all means, bring it on. What do you do to stay motivated - and safe - during hot-weather running? Eliz If you get me through this, my next request will be to help me get over my fear and loathing of racing. Wink

flomotioncoaching.com

King of PhotoShop

One thing I can assure you Eliz, is that there is an adaptation period of about 3-4 weeks of discomfort, and then you are heat acclimated. In other words, while it is always uncomfortable to run in the heat, your body will adapt to it fairly quickly. You just have to trust that that will happen. I go through it every year here in TX and it's most unpleasant. It will get better. It's harder for a woman to wear less clothing, but I hope you are just wearing a light singlet top and shorts. For tough days there is always the trick of using a light-colored mesh cap and putting ice in a cloth inside it. The ice will keep the top of your head cool and there's a ton of heat there. Just stick with it. Spareribs
        It get's hot here in OK, too. I slow down, shorten the runs and gradually work into it. Just as you slowly bump up miles, it's just as important to slowly get acclimated the the heat. I just graphed the runs vs temperature for fun. Interesting. The last couple of days I switched from running in afternoon to running in the morning. But when the work week returns, I'll be back out in it about 5:30 pm or so. Good luck.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

No fair. Spareribs stole my "ice in the cap" answer! Also hydrate more and more and more! I will drink a pint of water right before heading out and then carry one with me. As I live in humidity-land with no air conditioning, the thing I worry about is my body not thinking it can "give up" any water to sweating early on, which inevitably makes me more comfortable. And, I don't ever have to stop to answer Mother Nature's call. Also, run through sprinklers, hose down along the way if you can -- find someone watering their garden and they'll usually be glad to give you a squirt! I find the "hunting" for a lawn/garden waterer a whole fun part of my really hot summer runs. Oh and get up early and get the run over with. 5 a.m. vs. 8 a.m. is a whole different comfort factor. Eliz, let's try to race together once this summer. Maybe then you'll only fear and loath racing with me vs. racing in general! Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

lswife

Thanks, Eliz, for asking this. The answers have helped me, too, here in humid Indiana.
              You've gotten a bunch of good advice so far. Hydrate early and often, run early if possible, wear less clothing and light colored at that, ice in the hat, etc. As the resident H&H expert, I'll add something which oddly hasn't been mentioned yet. Slow Down. When the heat is on, slow down and take it really easy. This helps keep the HR in check and helps the body to not overheat too quickly. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slow Down.
                Thanks, Bill, but that's the thing at which I truly excel, with very little thought or effort, no matter what the weather! Big grin Thanks for the tips - keep them coming. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Eliz, you sound just like me! I start wilting at 70. I like the ice in the hat idea - I will give it a try. Now that I've started running longer distances, I'm discovering more places to hydrate - in particular, three water fountains that I never knew existed before! I'm also planning my routes to go past convenience stores so I can stop for a break. Now that I KNOW I can run 11+ miles, I don't mind stopping for a couple of minutes. As always, when I find myself flagging in the heat, I just think about DS15 and all the other great HS kids who are out there every day, no matter what the conditions. All the area teams were at a meet yesterday from 8 am until 5:30 pm, in weather ranging from foggy to pouring rain. They even had to evacuate to the high school for over an hour during a thunder and lightning storm! I didn't hear any complaints. Teens get a lot of flack, but they deserve praise in situations like this!
                  Tramps

I've probably whined about heat and humidity as much as anyone here. I feel your pain. In addition to the good ideas already, I have one word of advice: shade. Seriously. look for shady routes, cross the street to get to the shady side, etc, etc. It all makes a difference. Best of luck to you. It will get (a little) better as you acclimate.

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

Oh yeah, something else. I find I only really need technical gear in the really cold weather and the really hot weather. The C9 stuff from Target works great, but not in super-heat or super-cold. This is where the first rate technical gear really stands out. Get a white/light color technical singlet or three from one of the majors and feel the difference. Cool

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps makes a very good point about shade. Something else similar to it is to avoid the direct sun if you can. This is one of the reasons I try to run my weekend runs (mostly) before the sun rises. There is a distinct difference between running with the sun up and not (at least for me). In the same temps. and humdity, adding a direct sun will add to the discomfort! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hi Eliz, Hows things on the shore? My 12 year old has her end of school count down going. Ok here's my suggestions.... - Run in light weight light colored technical wicking wear. I wear the loose fitting, built in underwear style. No spandex. It holds the heat in. No cotton. - Run with a water bottle. I found one in Dicks Sporting Goods for $15 that has a holder with a pouch big enough for a cell phone. - Run in the early AM - Find a route that is shaded or mostly shaded. I found a few state parks that can be run in mid day heat because the trees over hang the road. - Trail runs are good for shade too. - Hydrate before and after. - Dont push yourself. - Run with a friend or give a friend your route and time you should return. In case of emergencies they know where to look for you. I had to "rescue" Kim yesterday on her run. Glad I knew her route. She got chased my two dogs and her knee tape fell off and she was exhausted when I found her. Have a good time on the shore. I am still jealous. If its too hot you can always kayak! Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

..eliz//......we're just starting to hit the GOOD STUFF around here, 80's and 90's.... ...like Burger said, Hydration is important, also, noticing urine color is a tip, it should be the color of straw, if it's darker,,,,,drink some more..... I like Buffered ThermoTabs (taken the night before, thanks to an econo tip) and a V-8 after the run, very restorative.... ......if it really gets to you, goto TonicWater, the carbonation kicks it in sooner, and the Quinine seems to help with cramps... ......just go easy, mess around with the suggestions, and see what works for you....... it's more fun than Winter Running,,,,,,,enjoy,,,,,,, And Wear a Really Cool Hat.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks, everyone. I knew I could count on you. Smile Ribs - 3-4 weeks, huh? So I should take it easy until about the 4th of July. Check. I usually wear a visor - to get free highlights from the sun. Cool I was planning on buying a new, tech-type visor, but I think I'll try a hat with ice cubes instead. Not sure how long they'll last, as I'm Irish and German, and therefore naturally rather hot-headed. tomwhite - I'll make sure the hat is a really cool one Wink evryday - I was thinking about maybe trying shorter runs on more days. I've been running 4x/week consistently for about 3 months now. Will try switching to 5x/week, but for shorter distances, since my body is giving out after 5 miles, anyway. nono - early a.m. will happen on June 20, after 14 more school days! Tramps - shade is possible when I run in PA; not so easy on the boardwalk in NJ, so I guess I'll have to try for even earlier early mornings. It WILL be nice to watch the sun rise over the ocean again. Big grin Laurie - good advice about leaving a "run plan." I never get into a boat without leaving a float plan. A few of you mentioned hydration. As a singer, I'm pretty consistent with that, and I did just get a carry-with-you-while-running water bottle. Feeling and hearing it slog around really bothered me the first time I used it, but I'm used to it by now. As to clothing, a huge THANK YOU for an excuse to go gear-shopping! Whoo hoo! My singlets are cheap-o Kohl's store brand - double layered. Good for sailing, when you can count on getting splashed on a windward tack, bad, bad, bad for running. So it's off to the running store after school tomorrow for a cool hat, a singlet or two, and maybe some of that powder stuff they're advertising to add to water for the benefits of gatorade without schlepping all of those bottles from the grocery store. Thanks again! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Prince of Fatness

Slow Down.
                                +1. I'm an afternoon runner during the week. A typical afternoon in the summer in NJ it's 85-90 degrees and very humid. I make it through the runs, but only by slowing down, 30-60 seconds per mile.

Not at it at all.