Masters Running

RA/RH 5K RR. So close... (Read 162 times)

coastwalker

There were huge thunderboomers that shook the house when they came through a 3am this morning, but fortunately the weather stayed cloudy but dry after that, with temps in the low 70s by the time this race started at 11:00. This race is part of our Seacoast Road Race Series, so I arrived at 9am to work at the Series table; answering questions, signing up new participants, confirming Series registration for others. (We registered quite a few people today, and now have over 1,000 people registered for the Series for the first time in our 5-year history - HERE is a recent, flattering column about the Series). I stayed at the table till about 10:30, when I left my partners to go warm up.

I lined up a short way back in the field of 2200. This is the 2nd largest 5K in New Hampshire, and it sold out 3 weeks before race day. The course is mostly flat, with just some long gentle inclines along the way. My first mile was fast at 9:53, but I just couldn't Buddy Hackett at that pace. In miles 2 and 3, I kept reminding myself to keep my turnover rate as high as I could but, again, I couldn't hold it, and was too far over 10:00 pace in both miles. I passed some runners, and heard the usual comments about being beaten by a walker (!), but I was trying to stay focused on my pace.

My goal for the race was to finish at or under 32:00, and I crossed the mats at 32:03 (10:19 pace) - very similar finish to last week's 5K. I was so close, but I just couldn't make these legs move any faster, at least not today. Maybe I went out too fast. Maybe I hung behind slightly slower runners a few seconds too long instead of passing them immediately. Maybe I did too much yard work yesterday. Maybe I need a racewalking coach - any volunteers?

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

nice job Jay!!  i don't think the :03 counts!!

those thunder boomers this morning sure were loud weren't they!!  i didn't look at my clock but my house was shaking around the same time too!!

denise

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi Jay--I think all the thunderstorms went north and south of us.  just enough to upset the dog.

Excellent race once again.  I'd vote for the yardwork.  Too bad it was so close, but you know it's there--you've got several races to go, right?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Nice racing, Jay.  You'll get those 3 seconds next time.

TomS

congrats, Coast, on a fine race!
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

My goal for the race was to finish at or under 32:00, and I crossed the mats at 32:03

Gaaaahhhhhhhhh!  That one hurts!   

I would be yard work could cost ya 3 seconds!  I think you have a sub 32:00 in you.  You're flirting with it.  You will get it.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

#artbydmcbride

Hmmmm, maybe an earlier start and more coffee will get that turnover higher.  Great job anyway, you will do it soon!

Runners run

Marathon Maniac #957

I love it that you pass runners. Actually, at that pace, you'd be passing me on a lot of days.  Nice job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."