Masters Running

Not a Palindrome but the Friday 6/17 Daily (Read 31 times)

Nothing like having a 5 hour head start on coastwalker to get a shot at starting the daily! Today is my last full day in London. Tomorrow we fly home. Yesterday we took a trip to Stonehenge. If you have never been, it is worth doing once. Just once. It is, surprise!, a pile of rocks. An interesting rock pile, but a pile of rocks nonetheless. Today it was run in Regent's Park. I did 10 my DW 6. Now we are off to get breakfast and do some touring.

Holly S. you need a new dog.  What a mess!

Mariposai you need some rest! That boot camp sound tough!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker

Top o' the morning to you, Twocat (and everyone else)!

There's nothing like visiting a pile of rocks for inspiration, 'eh, Twocat? Nice runs to start the day - have fun with the rest of it, and fly back safely.

Jlynne, I'll bet that all of us have had some sort of a running dream/nightmare somewhere along the way. I'm glad you got the spots removed - good walking to you!

Have fun with everyone in the big O, WC! You can sleep when you get back home.

Definitely petulance or worse on the part of our town officials, Stumpy. Thanks for helping out with the local relay today and tomorrow.

Dave, you are definitely much more than a plodder! Nice humid 5 yesterday.

Henry, come up for a clinic any time! Meanwhile, stay well, rest the knees. Hopefully, you'll have the same outcome as Tet with his shoulders.

Tet, if I start tracking meeting like workouts and races, you all have permission to slap me silly. But then again, I'd be pretty silly just for doing that! You sure had a trio of interesting dreams.

That stinks, Holly. I hope the waterproof mattress cover helps. Our niece and her DH crate their dog in their bedroom at night to prevent any similar types of problems. Watch your knee when you're doing PT - sometimes throwing it just a little out of alignment can make a big difference.

Good luck and have fun at boot camp, Sgt. Mariposai!

6.6 RW miles in 57F temps and under mostly clear skies this morning. I got my cadence up to just under 180 by the time I got into the last partial mile, so I was moving reasonably well. Now I have a little ping in my right calf, but I assume it'll go away with time. Maybe I'll rub it down with Dicky The Stick to help it come around a little more quickly. No workout tomorrow because we're leaving at the COD for NJ to visit family & friends, and the rest day will probably do me good. This morning, I have Breakfast With the Boss, and then another meeting this afternoon (#6 for the week, Tet). Later on, I have to mow the lawn and bake a chocolate whiskey cake for the folks we'll be visiting this weekend.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Why isn't it a palindrome today?

I got in another slow 5'er today. Tomorrow I am going to go out for 2 hours There may be a lot of walking.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Why isn't it a palindrome today?

There may be a lot of walking.

evad -

?eltite htni “61" on
           ya dote tu mel cyce lime vif

sp - doogs igni klaw

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

evad -

?eltite htni “61" on

This was supposed to be palindrome week. I feel cheated.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ootem
              daboot
              we’ll have another ten days

next July though.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya,

Hope you all are well and anticipating a good weekend.

This was a bit of cut back week for me.  Planning for a long one tomorrow.  Maybe that will put me in better spirits.

tet, we're about 200 miles from Orlando as the main roads are not direct.  It's about 135 miles if you drove directly.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

I decided to rest my knee today.  Except that DD and I are going golfing this afternoon.  But we will ride in a cart. 

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Here in Europe it is actually 17/6/16 which is just a mess!

A picture of Stonehenge for the curious.

During the tour we also visited the house where Harry Potter was born and where Voldemort did his parents in. The town they filmed it in is called Lacock. At least this is what our tour guide told us! This is as close as you can get as a non mythical family actually lives there.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Thanks, Stumpy, you and I can stay where we are and let the rest of the crew get old.  Seriously though, I realize you slow down a bit as you get older, but I've always recovered so well from hard efforts that this is just bugging me. Last fall I did the same thing (two marathons in two days) and had no problems at all. (also no blisters, but hey) I think the main difference was it was at the end of a long training and racing cycle, having just finished our racing series with the Equinox in mid-September, then two weeks later Wineglass then a week after that Freedom's Run. I was feeling pretty invincible so figured this spring's races would be the same. Nope. I do think that's the deal, and I'll get over it. But still, it was worth whining about for a little while.

Holly, you need to make two phone calls. One to the vet, to see if they want to examine your pup to find any medical reason for the aberrant behavior. Or suggestions on stopping it. Two, call your PT and explain that the exercises seem to be aggravating the problem, maybe it's a form issue or they have another option/exercise to suggest. It's worth checking.

Jeanne! Sorry to hear there are more, but glad you got them. And yes, I took some rest/easy days after Bayshore and I'm behind mileage goal now, with races coming up regularly all summer.

I hope we get relay updates, maybe on Facebook.

Twocat! Great pictures, look at that dark sky in the background behind the pile of rocks! I've actually been to Stonehenge. We lived in England for a year (Cambridge) when my dad was on a research sabbatical. I had my 9th birthday there.

Henry, my DH is starting to say his "good" knee is sometimes causing him more problems than the bad knee. A new knee used to be such a big deal, but now it seems they are a common thing. Hope you get some relief.

Nancy, working in management level jobs can be rewarding but yes, a big time and energy suck. Boot camp sounds like a good idea. I've fallen off the strength training wagon and need to get back to it.

Took the day off from work today, and it's going to be a gorgeous day with sunny skies and temps up to mid-80's. Today is the day all my straggling plants get planted. Will run some easy miles later, but saving my legs for tomorrow night's 10k. The Midnight Sun Run starts and 10 pm and the sun will be shining!

Marathon Maniac #957

Nancy - Boot camp sounds like a great idea.  As we get older I think it is more and more important (bone density and all that) that we keep up our muscle mass, and not just in our legs.

Erika - good point about the vet....

Twocat - love the pics!

Okay, DD and I went golfing, riding in a cart, and on the third hole, as she pulled up in the cart, I took about 3 steps trotting up to her, and suddenly something went POP in the back of my knee.  OUCH!!  I couldn't even put weight on it, so I got in the cart and rode as DD played, rubbing the knee.  I could walk after a few minutes, but with a limp.  I called the sports med office and the dr called me back a little while later and said she would call me Monday about scheduling an MRI.  I told her I didn't want an MRI because they cost thousands of dollars, but she said she could get me one for $500.  (sigh)  DH says I should just rest it and let it heal, rather than spending $500 on an MRI.  I guess I need to ask the doc what she thinks.  If the treatment is the same with or with the MRI.......What I'm afraid of is that this may have me off running for the whole summer.....

But I'm still coming to Portland!  Even if I will just be there to cheer everyone else on!  It's more about the party than the race, right?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Dang-it Holly!  That stinks.  I really hope everything is okay.

Holly, that knee pop sounds ominous.  I hope it turns out to be minor.  Nice long runs for evan and Twocat.

this morning, it was in the high 50s and almost calm.  I did 5 miles at an 11:31 pace.

Tomorrow, we are headed to the northwest part of lower MI (Leelanau Peninsula for those of you familiar with MI).  Our kids are going to a wedding there and have rented a place for us to stay and babysit the grandkids while they attend the ceremony and reception.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

But I'm still coming to Portland!  Even if I will just be there to cheer everyone else on!  It's more about the party than the race, right?

Glad to read this, but sad about your knee issue.

I pray for wisdom for you as you have to make a decision between spending the money for the MRI or listening to your DH and wait it out.

Cool pictures of the stonhenge, Twocat. Great to see that you and Mrs. Towcat had a great time while in London.

Thinking of the RA Rogue Relay team. It seems like they are having a blast according to FB pictures.

For me, was 9 miles in between work today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

DH says I should just rest it and let it heal, rather than spending $500 on an MRI.  

DH is very wise.

Maybe MRI if no improvement after six weeks.

In the meantime, even if you don't run a single step

until October 9, you'll still be faster than someone

<<<(that would be me)>>>.