Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 9.12.13 (Read 45 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Honey for hay fever? I'll have to give it a try - thanks! Haven't tried a neti-pot either - do you stick your head over it, smoke it, or what?? Wink

Thanks Ribs, for pointing out the finer points of a Bahstan accent.

Dave, do you train for those elevation changes?

How'd you do with the Sr. Olympians, TomW?

Deeze, a PTLR is a great idea, and good motivation too. Good luck on Saturday!

Twocat - what a great way to enjoy the Apple! It can build up an appetite though, can't it? You'll work it of at RTB.

Jlynne, yep - DW gets the power tools. I get to haul lumber and use the old fashioned tools (hammer, screwdriver, etc.) We'll have a greta time!

I'm diggin' the dig, Marj.

Have a safe trip home, CNY.

It got up to 93 here yesterday too (Yikes!), but is 'only' supposed to be in the 80s today. It was a damp but nice 67F when I headed out this morning for a 5.8 mi. racewalk. I had skipped the last two days, and felt it this morning. But I still managed to get to a decent pace for the last couple 'a miles, and was glad to have been back out there.

Today is the first day of the shed project. We hope to get the lumber and hardware purchased, and do the site work (weather-depending) and complete the floor framing. We'll see...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I've seen so many cool elevation charts on the forum I figured I'd share mine yesterday.  Judging by the comments, my terrain may be more common around the forum than I imagined.  When I lived on a big hill in WV and ran there I always felt like I was a stronger runner but there isn't much I can really do about that living here.

Today was a pretty good HRD (Holly Rest Day).  I sit at a desk for 8-10 hours a day so I really hate to do nothing, even on days where I wake up kind of tired like today.  So I did an easy 1 mile jog to the gym, 20 minutes of light to medium stuff there, and an easy 1 mile jog home.

Now the plan is to drink coffee until my bladder bursts!

Tramps

Morning Jay and Dave and everyone who follows.

Re: accents.  If you search for “accent tag” on YouTube you’ll find a bunch of videos people have done showcasing their accents.  Some are quite interesting.  When I first moved to Virginia, I'd occasionally run into people--clerks in stores and the like--who I literally could not understand, even though they were speaking English.  The southern accent was so heavy and completely unfamiliar to me.  One of the local accents I love is the Tangier Island/Tidewater accent.  Very distinctive.

Our last H&H day before cooler weather moves in today.  Can’t wait.  EZ 13 this morning. 

And since it's elevation day (isn't it?), here's mine.  The hills are not big but they are steep; I definitely feel them.

Powered by RunningAHEAD.com

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai has a really big knife in her hands, she is quick and has told me to say something about running together today so I figure I better do so.  Surprised  As you can see this picture has nothing to do with running.  It was taken yesterday while she was weaponless at the edge of an area called The Ramble within New York's Central Park.  Today, in far away Connecticut we went off for my favorite 14 mile route.   A highlight was seeing all of the construction by the beach area where a large number of homes are being built on stilts to replace those wiped out by Hurricane Sandy.  No pictures though.  So I am still totally confused as to what this picture is doing in this post.  But she has put the knife down so I guess I did okay with this post. Wink

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Wow - what a great looking couple! Mariposai looks stunning.  Oh - and you too, Twocat Smile

Jay - I hope you post pictures of your weekend "project".

Hold on one more day Tramps. That front passed through here last night and I couldn't believe the difference in the temps. A cool 53° this morning, but the best part was the humidity was gone. 6 miles at a 9:56 pace. Still can't run any distance without a few walk breaks. But I'm a work in progress and appreciate each run after being on the DL for over 5 months.

King of PhotoShop

What a great pic TC and Mariposai. Great material to work with of course.

I have a total day off today. No conference calls, no writing, nothing. So I guess I'll go to Costco and get stuff like fertilizer and trash bags and other stuff we're out of.  I'm cooking dinner tonight for a family as the wife is going through chemo and people have signed up to do meals for them.  Tonight is our turn.

3.4 easy miles today on the dirt track and a flex workout at the Y.

I'm going to race again on Saturday, which will be my 3rd race in a row each week, the idea being to nail the big 20K on the 21st.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

and I used to like that twocat so much. grrrrrrrrr how do you do photoship?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

I want someone to photo shop in a 'photobomb' pic of me in the background!  Great pic of you two and beautiful area! So, was it warm or cool there? Mariposai is in a sleeveless top and TwoCat is wearing a jacket . . .

HOT day for the HS XC meet. 102 degrees. today is David's MS meet. only should get to 98 today. Roll eyes

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - what a great looking couple! Mariposai looks stunning.  Oh - and you too, Twocat Smile

I agree!

Jay - nice that you and your wife can work together like that on a home project - not always easy for a married couple.

No run for me today, no workout, nada.  My brother arrived late last night from Virginia and I spent my before-work time catching up with him.  The situation with my mom is still relatively unchanged.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Well, we are in Nee Heaven ready to drive in the van for a few hours to the starting line of the Reach the Beach relay.

twocat, lol. Ohh and btw, I did take a few pictures on the way to our 14 miler. I will have to post them after I return back home.

This is a big day for the posie family. Son David just  left from Seattle today to fly to Washington DC to then fly on the weekend to Macedonia for Peace Corps. Bitter sweet moment.

Holly, I am thinking and praying for you and your family.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...nice picture mari and twocat///////

============

...........jay//.......be sure you use LOCAL HONEY,,,

,,,,,,,,,,being immune to SiouxBeeHoney only works if you're in SiouxFalls

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Tomorrow is a pretty big day: Programmers Day (http://www.programmerday.info/).

So if you know any computer programmers, make sure to get them something really nice.

(Apparently this comes every year on the 256th day of the year.  First I heard of it.)

Hey friends -- Justin stopped by today with Liberty (gf) and the baby to pick up some of their stuff ....He's still not talking to me a lot, but was receptive to the few things I said to him -  mainly, his parents love him very much and we will always be here for him.  He's not taking any meds right now and is looking ok - he actually smiled at me before they left and let me kiss him -  just have to keep praying and let things unfold as they will.

Today ran 6.8 hilly miles with a friend - had a bunch of walk stops in there as he was struggling with some shortness of breath -- he's 63 and is going for a stress test in a couple of weeks to see what's going on .....hope they dont find anything and it's just the heaviness of the humid air!!

Karin - I might do Lone Gull Sunday too - will be looking for you if i do!!

Ribs - thank you for the compliments!!  but really accent??  what accent?? Roll eyes

((holly))

Jay - I am thinking about heading to Hampton Beach sometime Sat. afternoon to cheer in the RTB runners.  If you pm me your cell number, maybe we could meet up - I'll be in touch with Posai as well!!  which leads me to  compliment the beautiful photo of Posai and Twocat!!  Looks like you two are having a great time -- so proud of your son too Nancy!!

Tammy - hope David and his teammates do ok in that heat!!

Henry/Marj - where in Maine will you be?  I'm staying in Kittery tomorrow night then heading to Freeport Sat. morning.

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

So dave, is the 256th day of the year programmers' day because 256 is the highest power of two that is a distinct value or two that can be represented with an eight-bit byte that is less than 365 days in a common year or how many years you have to study to become one? ................................................................... ............................................................................... ............................................................................................................. good luck to david posie . I am going to be missing him right away with his Chacos on all three legs at this weekend's Kirkland triathlon we've done together for the last two years. ps - not that anyone would be jealous of twocat or anything like that but, unless you can give him some grey hair, beer belly, make him look tired (and slow) at the end of a relay leg, etc. no need to include him in anymore pictures.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sorry I don't know any programmers, Dave, but have a happy day!  I've missed a lot since we were getting ready to move yesterday.  I packed all morning, then the movers called DH to postpone until MONDAY!  It seems their morning job took longer than anticipated.  Yesterday afternoon they did come to get a head start and moved some stuff.  Now we are living at the new house but kind of in limbo.  Internet and cable are hooked up, but they can't port the phone number from the former carrier for 8 business days which will be September 23rd!  That seems a bit ridiculous.  Luckily we ordered a new Sleep Number bed and delivered just in time to set up at the new house.

Hopefully I will get a run in soon.  Our heat wave finally broke so it's absolutely wonderful out today.  I'll keep in touch.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich