Masters Running

Tuesday, 12/13/16 (Read 29 times)

So I'm starting the thread again? OK -- no problem.

Holly, way back when I was a salaried engineer at General Motors, we always were paid for overtime hours (anything over 40). That got to be such a game where I saw people dogging it during the week so they could come in on Saturday that I wasn't sorry when I left there and never got paid a cent of overtime afterwards. I'd much rather be paid for what I get done than how many hours I put in!

I had a good run on the TM at the gym this morning -- or at least as good as a TM run gets for me. 5 miles at a fairly easy pace. I did remember, just in case, to take a break in the run to stop and restart the TM. The fitness place has the TMs set up for a one hour "limit" and there's nothing like being in a decent stride, listening to your music or whatever, and have the TM unexpectedly stop!

Now I'm off this afternoon to a training class so that I can work in the AARP program that does tax returns as a community service for people on limited income or without other resources.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

Hi Doug, thanks for starting!

I'm woefully behind on the goings on here. We have friends visiting from Espana for 2 weeks (they leave on the 18th) so have been so busy with them. They are actually from Barcelona, so do consider themselves separate from Spain. They refer to themselves at Catalans and not Spaniards. I've had a crash refresher course in my spanish skills, even though 2 of the 3 of them speak very good english, but the girlfriend of one that came here doesn't speak very much english and her and I have been hanging out alot, so I'm using mostly spanish with her.

Sunday her and I spent 3 hrs making ravioli's and then last night, I had everyone over for a big italian dinner. Friday I'm taking off work and we'll go shopping in Ashland and then head up to Mt. Ashland for some snow fun. 

I met up with some trail running pals this past Saturday and got in a good run. but nothing since then.

Tammy

Hiya!

Mmmm, sounds like a tasty dinner Tammy!

I haven't run since Saturday's downpour.  I really need to get out there.  Winter sluggishness is not good for fitting into my jeans.

I am having a busy, exciting week.  Two in person job interviews, and a third telephone screen.  I am really praying for one of these 3 new opportunities to lead to an offer, and all 3 jobs I am very excited about.  So far, I am batting 0/5 for in-person interviews and no offers.     The last one, they said I was "overqualified".  Ok, then.  I am thinking "my number" has to come up soon!  

So I will hopefully get out there this afternoon....in the rainless, yay! conditions.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Good Job Vibes for Enke}}}

Roch - I still don't really understand how it can be salary and get overtime, but okay, I believe you.

I got on my beautiful new (to me) TM today, and found that it doesn't work.  Well, the touch screen display works, but regardless of the speed it says it is going, the belt is actually barely moving.  I was so disappointed.  Fortunately I still have my old TM, back in the corner of the garage, facing the wall, away from the TV.

4 very boring TM miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

{{{Good Job Vibes for Enke}}}

Roch - I still don't really understand how it can be salary and get overtime, but okay, I believe you.

I got on my beautiful new (to me) TM today, and found that it doesn't work.  Well, the touch screen display works, but regardless of the speed it says it is going, the belt is actually barely moving.  I was so disappointed.  Fortunately I still have my old TM, back in the corner of the garage, facing the wall, away from the TV.

4 very boring TM miles for me today.

hope you got a manual along with it.  Not a TM expert by any means, but I'm guessing it wasn't heavily used before you got it?  May just need some oiling or other preventative maintenance done on it.  is it fancy enough to give you fault codes?  might help.  or you have another clothes rack for the garage. 

MNF did me in.  Just before my alarm was supposed to go off at 5:30, I felt pretty fuzzy still, so gave in and reset it for normal time.  Need to build the willpower mucsle just a bit.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Sending good job wishes to Enke!

Holly, bummer about the new TM- maybe it's a sign you should run outside?

Mike- cool that Ryan is signed up for the Zion 100 race! It's supposed to be a really good race. And speaking of 100 milers- did I see Leslie sneaking in a note about a 100 miler next year in her footnotes??

We're living in our Sprinter this winter, currently enjoying the warmth in Nevada. Today I ran 12 miles on some single track mountain bike trails while DH is climbing. I've actually been climbing more than running lately- nice to be outside enjoying life!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, bummer about the new TM- maybe it's a sign you should run outside?

Unfortunately, even though we get up at 5:30am, there's so little time on workdays before work to run, the extra time to put on the layers necessary for the winter cold and still get to work on time makes my morning run about 3 miles.  I would rather run on the TM and get more miles in.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Holly, is there a customer support number you can call? That just doesn't seem right.

Salaried employees normally do not get overtime because they are exempt. If an employer wants to have salaried employees that are not exempt, they pay them overtime. In most states, "comp time" is frowned upon if not outright illegal. Holly, you are being treated as an exempt employee, but I doubt your job passes the "duties test" to be exempt. I've been saying for years you should contest that with the DOL, and you can do it anonymously. The new rules for salary levels for exempt employees would've required a higher rate of pay to make someone exempt from overtime, but a federal judge stopped that (was supposed to go into effect Dec. 1) and be prepared for more erosions of workers' rights going forward. <steps down from soapbox>

Good luck with the job search, Enke! I hope the one you want works out for you.

I've been in New York since Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon we went to The Book of Mormon with Hally, then dinner afterwards. Monday we went to Phantom of the Opera. They were both awesome. I love Broadway shows. We've also been eating and drinking with seemingly reckless abandon! Oh well, this is our Christmas present to each other and it's been a LOT of fun. I ran 8.2 miles along the Hudson River heading south towards Battery Park, and 7.4 today heading north towards George Washington Bridge. Almost makes up for no running Saturday or Sunday (heh, almost). We head home early tomorrow and will be home by 10:50 pm. It'll be good to be home, but this has sure been fun.

Head Procrastinator

I'm exempt and get overtime, though rarely work it. When I first started there I made a big stink about it because they weren't paying it. Cited that Chase had to pay us back overtime. They straightened that out real quick Smile

Sorry the treadmill was a dud, Holly. Maybe not that hard to fix if you can find someone?

I am also woefully behind, having traveled for work last week, then hung out with Erika and Peter Sunday and Monday. Love hanging with them, like family they are. Book of Mormon was a hoot, Peter was blushing from the language Smile

Anyway, ran today 3.6, walked a ton around NYC, ran two days in Needham, not sure if I even posted about the Hot Chocolate Run but did that in Northhampton with Karin and LaT.

Will try to keep up better. Smile

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                    Mike E

MM #5615

Mike- cool that Ryan is signed up for the Zion 100 race! It's supposed to be a really good race.

Ryan is not signed up for the Zion 100.  It's a guy that was on his high school cross country team.  Ryan is smarter than that.

HermosaBoy

Ryan is smarter than that.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob