Masters Running

Not Quite Goodbye and an Update (Read 626 times)

My original thought was to quietly disappear.  I cannot run now or likely anytime in the near future.  This, as you might have noticed, is a forum about running.  But, many here were not inclined to let me go so quietly.  I saw the many queries asking where I am in the daily.  I have received a few notes outside the forum too.  You are all such wonderful people and have been so supportive that I wanted to just say something to let you know how much I have appreciated it.  

I am not sure this is goodbye.  I may pop in to the daily with a post once and awhile.  Alas, I am addicted to the daily.  (I know, for example, that biketm's never ending job saga has not ended!  I know that SueT48 just paid a boat load for orthotics.  I know that Jlynne is having foot issues . . .)  I suspect that I will continue to follow the daily.  But I am not sure how often I will post.

For those that want to know here are the gory details about my current situation.  On mother's day I tried run/walking a 10K race.  It was a disaster.  By the end of the race it was clear that 14 months off had done me little good.  I have not run since.

Today I saw orthopedist number three.  He wants to perform a battery of tests one of which is a fancy MRI.  I suspect his goal is to see what if anything can possibly be done surgically.  He was clear that if it comes to surgery it may not work and may make things worse.

So here I am.  I may never be able to run, bike, or ski again.  Sitting for long periods may remain painful for the rest of my life.  If waiting for my body to heal itself is my only option, then the wait will at best be measured in years, not months or weeks.  Such is life.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Twocat, words cannot express how sad I am to hear that your running problems have not gotten any better. You have been such a model, patient patient that I was hoping your caution and time off would help fix what is broken. Now I read you are contemplating an MRI and possible surgery. You deserve better, my friend. I wish that there was some "instant fix" that a sports doctor or surgeon could find for you to get you back running again.

You know you are loved and respected on this forum. You have been so supportive and encouraging to all of us even when you were probably feeling down because you weren't experiencing the same joys from running - or even going through the pains of training. Please don't stop posting. You would be greatly missed.

I hope your decision to either proceed with more surgical/exploratory options or retire from running will bring you some peace. Just don't leave us, okay?

Good luck to you.

TammyinGP

I'm also frustrated for you that you haven't seen progress in your long and patient rehab, 2Kitty.  Your postings would certainly be missed although I understand that you may not really want to read the daily reminders of running when you are unsure of your own running fate at this time. BUT, with that said, being an active runner is not a pre-requisite here. Running may be what brought us all together initially, but I would hope that the friendships that have formed beyond that are the real glue here - and not just the status of being a runner.

thanks for the update and for not quite saying goodbye. . . would have not liked it too much had you just disappeared with no word. A few folks have done that for one reason or another in the past and I still think of them occassionally and wonder what ever became of them.

Tammy

evanflein

Yes, we were wondering what you were up to. So sorry to hear that 10k was a bust. But it also sounds like it was a real turning point. I hope you can get some answers and find something that can help. Frustrating doesn't begin to cover what you must be going through, but it's the only word I can grab at the moment. And yes, please stick around if only to check up on us and post a muffin recipe now and then. We'll all be very glad to see you.

SteveP

Darn it TwoCat...What does your editor have to say???? I echo what Jlynne has to say. You're being here makes me look normal.

SteveP

Renee the dog

Twocat, I would hate to see you go.

Can I ask a really blunt question at this point? (Since we're likely to lose you anyways, I can't wait any longer)....

What have you done, besides seeing MDs?  Maybe I missed when you saw a myofascial release massage therapist, or the like (e.g. active release therapy), but please explore all the avenues before you call it quits.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Maniac 505

aw rats

I hope you hang in, and keep us in the loop on how you are doing.  I haven't posted nearly enough for the last couple years, but I have been a regular lurker.  back in the CR days (I was a charter member, and nearly the first poster on CR) I was a regular  poster. 

I posted a bit here after the melt down then I had an injury that sidelined me for a year.  I lurked, but it was hard to post as a "non runner" 

I lurked (and still mostly lurk) since I recovered.  I really need to get into the habit of posting often.  I hope you don't fall out of the habit.

{{Twocat}} Hugs and prayers.  Thanks for not saying goodbye.  We will miss you while you're lurking and will be sending you good vibes and hopes for healing.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Slo

Twocat.....your a valuable member of this community. There's nothing to add sitting in the shadows.

Harvey Penick was one of the greatest golf coaches ever and did so from a wheel chair.......and I'm not saying your destined for a wheel chair....I'm saying you don't have to run to offer us what you have.

I'll admit....I'd probably quietly go away too if I couldn't run. But I'm asking that you don't.

I also hope that you will find the joy that running brings. And I hope that comes in form of running. But there are other gifts.

I'll add your intentions to my prayers tomorrow.

Dang Twocat!

I was so hoping that maybe the world of academia had called you away or that you and your wife had taken off on a holiday trip. I am glad you stopped in to share the latest, but I can't say I am at all glad about the latest news. Do what you feel best about posting, but know that you are missed and will be missed even more if you stay too far away.

As someone who's met you and even raced with you, I can say for sure that I am truly sorry about all this.

Stay close.

Karin

Matt, you are a very gifted, caring and wonderful person.  Why this is happening to you seems so unfair.  As is life. 

If you need to be less of a presence here, of course, that's understood.  We don't want to be the salt in your wounds.  If, however, you feel like dropping in from time to time, please do......no need to keep up on the daily, just leave a post of what's up in your world.

Dick Beardsley got ground up in a farm accident and was told he'd never run again.  He's running now, and still pretty fast.  After Daniel had his running accident (the little dog attack) and shattered his ankle, his surgeon told me he may be able to bike again but he'd never run again.  He's running, and continuing to increase his times.  The docs don't have a corner on certainty is all I know.  Be open to possibilities.

All the very best to you.  I'm so glad I had the chance to meet you and hope I'll have the chance to meet up with you again in the future.

Godspeed,

A

Masters 2000 miles

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Two-cat,

so sorry for you. 

However, running does not a poster make and still being able to run fast does not a runner make.
                          Hope you can try some slow running, even walking, it doesn’t matter.

If you’re doing the best you can or want to, your brain isn’t going know or  care

what the clock says, . ,  especially when ya got a such a great  running DW.
                          (posie told me).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Twocat, I've felt bad as you've tried to recover and return to running for a long time.  This latest news is especially upsetting.  I hope you will keep looking for a solution and that it will eventually be found.  Lurk and post as you feel comfortable with.  Please don't go away completely. 

TomS

I'm sorry, Twocat, for your situation.  I trust you'll make the best of it and continue to do great things.

And take a second look at Slo Hand's post.......it's worth reading again.....there's alot of good stuff there.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

So Sorry to hear this twokitty, AKA  The Muffin Man

I fully understand not wanting to come here when down and out . I had to take a 3 month leave also because coming here makes me want to run so much that I made bad decisions during my recovery. I was always amazed at your ability to stay so positive during this whole mess. I know at some point you will return and I know from experiance everyone here will welcome you back into the fold like you were never gone.

Good luck,

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down