Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 11.14.13 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Our wrap-up meeting for our 5K (which was last month) is at lunchtime today. For the most part, this is the same committee that started the race 15 years ago. Some are in their 70s, and a couple are approaching 80. I want to find a way, without insulting them, to let them know if they think they'd like to leave, we will miss them, but it is OK. They all have a great sense of obligation, but I don't want that to overwhelm them and make them stay when they'd rather not. We'll see how that goes.

A SIL is coming in tonight for a couple of days. She is a 'social media' consultant, and is helping manage that end of the marketing of our business. Should be a good time, and an interesting meeting.

6 racewalking miles at 4 o'dark this morning. It was 30F, and the SW wind was making flags stand straight out. So I chose a direction that minimized my face time with the wind and had a good workout. It was a busy morning out there - I saw 6 cars, a deer and a rabbit.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Good morning.  After nothing but a 2 mile treadmill run in the past 8 days I finally felt like going for a run so I went out for a 4 miler in the cold, sun and wind..  My Garmin battery read 0% so it was a naked run.

Someone please give me the discipline to get in as good shape as Ribs and Bergre1.  Wouldn't my knees, feet and whole body love to run with 40 or so less pounds.

dg – I have found that COBOL problems contribute to insomnia but fortunately after 32 years there are no new problems left. Joking Roll eyes

shoes – Annabelle had a pair of shiny wedding shoes that she loved but wore them so long leading up to the wedding that her feet hurt by the time the ceremony started so she took them off once she was allowed.

Have a greta day.  (If you want, no pressure.  I have found that an ordinary day is just fine.)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

good morning, jay and Dave.  Just back into work after a visit to the dentist.  I have a tooth that has had something wrong with it for too long and finally started to hurt enough to inspire me to go in.  All my options now involve pain, many visits, and slightly varying large amounts of money out of my pocket.  Fun, Fun.  the only minor positive thing is that I've waited long enough that I can get some done on this year's insurance and some on next. Roll eyes

On a note that made me much happier--5.1 miles this morning at 9:13 pace.  Happy to see, but wondering where that was on Sunday when I could have used a few miles at that pace.  On a warming trend--up to 33° and less winter gear.

I did wear Jay's shirt--they do a great job of picking vivid colors (bright just doesn't do them justice) and each one has become my new favorite.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Thank you Dave.  And today I am going to check out those Annabelle pics.  Didn't get to it yesterday.

Still working on that project where I write the screen messages for customer interactions, which is keeping me busy.

6 miles today at the park with the final 3 a kind of progression run, 9:40, 9:30 and 9:00.  No effort to do this but it's the first day since my Half that my legs have felt good.

Tomorrow I have my annual physical and blood work.  I always look forward to seeing the cholesterol and triglyceride numbers.  Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice 10K picture, Ribs. (FB) Just to make myself feel inadequate, what did you run?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Another frozen morning here in the New England tundra - 30°.  On a positive note that was 8 degrees warmer than yesterday!  I went off for a 10 mile run.  That was fine but I think the GPS on my phone has died.  Sad  My contract is up so I am "due" for a new phone anyway.  I just have to figure out what I want to get.  I need a pretty high end smart phone that also works in Europe.  Plus, it has to be small enough that I can easily stuff it in a pocket or belt sack while running.  Any ideas?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

At Stumpy, I have no idea. I would guess 37-38. That's what I did the tenK in back in those days.  But maybe it was slower. It was very hot that day. I remember that much.  My best tenK ever was 36:30.  I was never a fast runner, which is why I eventually moved to the marathon. Spareribs

C-R

Sounds like a chilly wake-up Jay.

Nice pics for Dave and Ribs. 36 anything in the 10k sounds fast to me.

No ideas on a smart phone TC. I'm still relegated to using a Blackberry.

A nice easy 10k for me today. Getting warmer here and should be around 50 this weekend. Good weather for the kids to race.

Oh did I mention I really like my new Minimus shoes. Odd how something that trivial can brighten up a training cycle.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Another frozen morning here in the New England tundra - 30°.

Did you mean -30°, or 30°? If you think 30° is "frozen" come visit me for a while. Went running with the Y ladies at 5:00 AM yesterday morning, and it was 18° with sustained winds of 20-25 mph. A little warmer today, but the winds didn't die down much. 5 miles yesterday, 4 today. Supposedly a BIG heat wave coming for the weekend, then all hell breaks loose next week Shocked Just wanted to add my apologies to Erika. I have the greatest respect for you as a runner, living in the true frozen tundra!

Great pictures of Annabelle Dave - and also your family, I really liked the one of just you and Annabelle. And I hear ya about the weight loss thing. Would like to drop 10 myself.

Nice picture of Mr. Bill and Ribs yesterday too. You're aging well, you guys!

My two grandsons took a carton of eggs out of the fridge a few days ago and spread them out on the sofa. When their mother asked them what they were doing, they told her the eggs were "hibernating." (They've been talking about incubating at daycare). Unfortunately, one of them broke on a sofa cushion. My DIL was so calm and collected about the whole thing, she got it on video. Absolutely hilarious. Now they're complaining that the sofa doesn't smell good. I told my DIL to not even THINK about buying new living room furniture for another 10 or 15 years Big grin

Marathon Maniac #957

Stumpy - I feel your dental pain.  The kids and I had our cleanings Monday and my dentist told me, "nothing new re your teeth."  Well I should hope not - seems like I have been there 6 times since June!  Unfortunately DS has four wisdom teeth coming in, so after we see his orthodontist we will be setting up a visit to an oral surgeon....Undecided

Twocat - No help here, my phone is very dumb...

Jlynne - you are so right about the furniture, tell them no new carpet either.  Our carpet had had a gallon of white paint spilled on it, and bottles of Elmer's glue that were left on the floor by DD and chewed open by the dogs and red pop and a million other things.  No new carpet until DD gets a little older and maybe more responsible...Roll eyes

I cut my run a little short this morning so I could bake brownies for DS, who informed me at the last minute that his club was having a bake sale at school.  He texted me after he got to school to say the bake sale was cancelled.  I told him to bribe his teachers with them...Wink

4.5 miles for me on the TM this morning watching American Horror Story.  Not sure how I feel about that show.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dave - I guess it's not likely to happen anymore but back from the hippy days, a local couple is still proud of their barefoot outdoor wedding pictures in Oregon. Too bad l'd be close to 100 years old but, otherwise, i'd like to see annabelle's real wedding photos in a couple of decades. ps enke - thanks for the link-up reminder.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

{{{{dg}}}}

........just saw your post, if you need PoolRunning tips>>>>>>>>lemme know

Beautiful Pictures dave///............and .Annabelle is a Doll>>>>what happened to her shoes??

....................good running guys

ETA-

tet looks pretty good for a 100-year old guy

pass the oysters.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave, great wedding pictures.  dg, it's always good when you post.  I hope you get a handle on your physical set backs.  stumpy, sorry to hear about the tooth problems.  Twocat, nice long run.

This morning, it was about 30° and there was a pretty stiff wind.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:54 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

Our power went out a little after midnight, and it was still out when I left the house around 9. Nothing like cold cereal and no coffee by candlelight... The cats were pretty freaked out about it, really. Speaking of cats, we would love to replace our carpet, which has been spilled on, dripped on, puked on and anything else you can think of, for over 21 years. And it was not new when we bought the place. But the new kitty we have seems to have a puking thing going on that we can't seem to fix. Regular doses of petromalt make it better but no cure. So... maybe we'll get it cleaned one. last. time. and then think about what to do. We could just install laminate everywhere...

Loved the picture of 'Ribs and Bryll. I remember that from when it happened... but man I'd forgotten about that 'stache.

Jlynne, I sure don't miss the Wisconsin wind but the temps usually weren't too bad. We have had incredible wind here (for us) and the downed trees are the cause of widespread outages.

Stumpy, sorry to hear about the tooth woes. I've had a few like that and more crowns than I ever thought I'd have. A good nightguard seems to have really made the difference. It's part of my retainer from when I had braces, good grief what was that almost 15 years ago now? Still works great and no more cracked molars.

Holly, we did the oral surgeon with DS1 earlier this year, just squeaked under the wire on our flexible spending account. Now all done with that stuff (I hope). The marines took care of DS2's wisdom teeth. Poor kid, it didn't sound like a good experience.

I've seen some folks out running in this slop, but even though the temps are nice (mid-30's, perfect!), there's still too much snow, slush, ice and cars traveling too close to the edge. So... as long as the power is still on, I'll hop on the treadmill tonight when I get home. At some point I'm going to have to start shoveling the driveway, too. Angry

As usually, I'm behind here, but I think of you all all the time.  Gotta go look at the pics Dave posted ~

After 2 fantastic runs (Sat/Tues) and two good ST/core workouts (Mon/Wed), a bad outing was in the cards.  Started off really good this morning - had 6 on the docket with sprints at the end.  Got about .5 miles away from the house and the rumblings started.  Got to Winco - nope, bathrooms closed.  The clerk who was sitting at the end of the counters just looked at me as I walked in and headed that direction.  Not a peep that the bathrooms were closed.  Okay.  Now what to do.  Sanity told me to turn around and go home, but stupidity took over as the Shell gas station was only about .25 away.  Made it to the station, asked very politely if I could use the bathroom, and the lady looked at me like I was some kind kretin, then begrudgingly let me into the bathroom -  just in time.  Shocked

Afterward, once again, sanity took a backseat to stupidity and I continued on my run.  A little over a mile later - Shocked.  I had to make a mad dash into some bushes at the front of someone's house.  Ugh!  Suffice to say, the throw-away gloves were thrown away.  I almost called Shorty to come get me, but a system check seemed to indicate things were running on empty.  I made it back home, and did my ten 10-sec sprints, without further incident.

Moral of the Story:  If you're not used to eating curry, don't go for a predawn run the next morning. Black eye  . . . .  Actually, if you take away the whole soiling of the residential landscape incident, the run went really well!

This afternoon, I threw all caution to the wind and ate the same things as leftovers for lunch.  It was so good!!  No running tomorrow, just ST/core, so if there is an incident, I'll be close to home. Big grin

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance