Masters Running

March the First, 2017 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s eggcellent workouts:
    Tramps (5 miles with 3 all-out to figure pace for upcoming 8K)
    Holly (3 miles before getting biometrically screened)
    Catwhoorg (4 miles at recovery pace on sore legs)
    Tomwhite (40 solo min on Greenway in rain and wind)
    Dave (ARC trainer & weights at the gym)
    Stumpy (4 morning miles in 39F windless temps)
    Twocat (20 slow morning miles)
    Tet (5 miles with intermittent sun and a lack of rain)
    Deeze (1 hr swimming, 1 hr computraining)
    Flats (10,000m with Garmin issues)

Jlynne,I said a short while ago that we’ve had to adjust to changes to our bodies since the day we were born (with some changes easier to adjust to than others), and it hasn’t stopped yet. Seems to me, as others suggested, that you need to back off a bit, relax, figure out what you can and can’t do comfortably, and come back with a plan that works. None of us (except maybe Mike) can workout like we could 20 years ago, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t have good and even great workouts, even if they are a little slower, a little shorter, and with a little more time in between. Also - don’t get stuck on turning 65. Used to be turning 30 was the start of the big decline. But, in truth, they are just numbers and no more meaningful than any others (unless we let them, or unless you’re looking for a big birthday present), and (as Tet was saying) it is your state of mind that is more significant anyway. You’ve got a lot of willing listeners/readers here, as well as a lot of folks in the same boat, so whine (or wine!) away.

I hope you got a lot of points, Holly!

I think my mantra is “Got Wine?”

Dave, it’s like Yogi Berra said about baseball: It’s 90% mental and the other half is physical.

I’m glad you’re having a good time coming up with a new handle, Twocat. Can’t wait to see what the winner is…

Thanks for the update on Justin, Deeze. It's tough, but it sounds like he's got some good people around him who just need to stay as alert as you are. Also, I'm glad you are getting back to working out, and that the PT and other treatments are working for you. Keep up the good work.

I hope one of your resumes lands on the right desk, Mike, and gets you out of where you are.

Our meeting was pretty productive, if long last night. The worst part was that my damnstring started barking at me about half way through. I'm going to chalk it up to a bad chair. DW and her sister were asleep by the time I got home. I went to bed too, and got up at the usual time for a 4.7 mile walk around the neighborhood in 44F temps and dense fog, which switched to a light rain by the time I got back and was stretching.

Have a greta Wednesday and March!

Jay

Beautiful snow, Mariposai! Wow!

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

all I can say is Jay +++++   (hard impossible act to follow)

went out this morning for 4 early before the rains came.  having not run for several days because of being sick and visiting grandkids, i had the best run i've had in over a week.

totally off topic: my grandkids 9 & 10 love the snap circuits gift - it teaches them about electricity and kept them entertained & educated for hours

enjoy March!

marj

...mornin' guys...

hope

spacity is OK,

Arkansas got SLAMMED last nite,

we're on the list today

so heading out before it gets here

.......................good running to the rest of you, Know your Safe Place..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning Jay, Marj and all to follow. I just want to say "thanks" to all of you for your kind words and for letting me vent. I haven't had the pleasure to meet most of you, but you're the best group of friends a person could ask for - virtual or not. I'm off the "pitty pot" now and I'm going to <gasp> try pool running and swimming on a more regular basis instead of just when my whole body feels like it's going to collapse  I don't know about the rest of you, but if I don't do some type of exercise every day, I feel like such a slug. Not to mention the weight thing...

Sorry about your damnstring Jay. I hope your workout helped this morning.

Marj - can you tell us more about the snap circuits? This sounds like something my 3 grandsons would absolutely love. What age groups would this be appropriate for?

Good luck with that resume Mike.

Best wishes and prayers for Justin, Deez.

Great pictures Mariposai. Looks like a great ski trip!

Well, March is "coming in like a lion" today. 4-6 inches of snow predicted, and DH is in Florida this week with his golf buddies. Looks like part of my cross training today will be with the snow blower...

Happy Wednesday everyone. And thanks.

Dave59

62°, partly cloudy, and windy.  Hard to believe that a 10-20 minute drive north of us they are having storms and roads are flooding.  We are supposed to get a quick round of storms later this morning.

I went to the park and ran 3.66 miles in shorts and a t-shirt.  Now to sit back and wait for the storms.  Maybe power will go out and I can take the day off work (or drive in to the office to work but that isn't likely.)

Yesterday I noticed that my news reader (NewsBlur) was down so I went to their support on Twitter and saw it was because Amazon's web hosting services on the east coast was down.  They host web sites for a couple hundred thousand people & businesses.  My work was not affected, but there was a lot of pain yesterday across the web.  If you are a Twitter user, type "S3 Outage" in the search box.  There are some funny pictures and memes about the outage.  The creativity of people never ceases to amaze and amuse me.  I assume things are working now but I am not 100% sure about that.

Dave59

This is what happens when you hit "Quote" instead of "Modify"    I blame Amazon.

62°, partly cloudy, and windy.  Hard to believe that a 10-20 minute drive north of us they are having storms and roads are flooding.  We are supposed to get a quick round of storms later this morning.

I went to the park and ran 3.66 miles in shorts and a t-shirt.  Now to sit back and wait for the storms.  Maybe power will go out and I can take the day off work (or drive in to the office to work but that isn't likely.)

Yesterday I noticed that my news reader (NewsBlur) was down so I went to their support on Twitter and saw it was because Amazon's web hosting services on the east coast was down.  They host web sites for a couple hundred thousand people & businesses.  My work was not affected, but there was a lot of pain yesterday across the web.  If you are a Twitter user, type "S3 Outage" in the search box.  There is some funny pictures and memes about the outage.  The creativity of people never ceases to amaze and amuse me.  I assume things are working now but I am not 100% sure about that.

Tramps

Very nicely put, Jay.

Mariposai--I swear, I think you work for the tourist bureau out there.  Your pics are beautiful.

Yep, Dave, that outage was quite a wake up call yesterday.

Jlynne--Snapcircuits

Very sluggish today (warm and humid? yesterday's speed work?).  Dragged myself through 7.5 miles with ominous winds blowing.  We're supposed to get that storm front this afternoon.  Batten down the hatches.

BTW, do any of you get McMillan's newsletter?  McMillan Running sends out a brief essay/tip every Tuesday via email.  I usually find them interesting and a useful reminder...workouts, nutrition, etc.  It's free; they promote paid plans, etc, but in a low-key way.  Worth a look. Here's a recent one on masters running.  (No, I'm not a shill for them.)  Here's the link to subscribe, if you're interested.

Be safe. Be kind.

mrrun

..jylnne's right//........you just Feel Better when you work-out........

==========

...heavy rains, flooding, a few trees down in our woods,

and ThunderBoomers

this is perfect

gonna ride

my X-Bike 10-min every hour for six-hours

got in 3-hours so far

.................good work-outs to ya.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Jlynne, sounds like you just hit one of those rough patches that we all hit past a certain age. I've had a few, and they are discouraging if you don't look forward to getting out of them. A year or so ago I was taking P.T. and getting convinced that I might have to give up running or some other activity, and right now I feel like I'm running healthier than I have in several years. Just keep at it -- it will pass.

A big scare for us as my DW came down with full-blown flu this week. That's bad enough, but we're scheduled to fly out Sunday and were getting concerned that we'd have to cancel our second major trip in the last six months! Fortunately her worst "symptoms" were apparently more due to side-effects of the antibiotic and Tamiflu that was prescribed for her. She stopped taking it and is 100% better today, although still weak of course. But the trip is probably on again.

First run in a few days, and it was a decent four miles wearing shorts and a long-sleeve top. A bit chilly into the wind, but otherwise it was the right way to dress for conditions today.

Enjoy the new month!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

catwhoorg

Labrat

Another day, another 4 at recovery pace.

Should be good for a bit more or faster later this week.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Roch's DW}}}    Where are you going?

Mike - I am praying you will find a better job, truly.

Still milking the recovery week, I only did 3 miles on the TM this morning. I am mostly fine from the marathon, but tweaked a muscle in my right groin/thigh area, likely from the sprint I did the last 100 meters or so (I always attribute this particular soreness to sprinting), and anyway used the excuse to be lazy.

Happy March!  I am so excited because Spring is my favorite time of the year!  I LOVE watching life unfold again.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spacityrunner

thanks for the shout out TW.  the storm hit around me...but not me.  The poor cat (not the sick kitty she is not that dumb)  was left outside while I was at work (how the heck did she get out there???) so don't know how much of a storm she had to endure 

took the sick kitty to Memphis today.  Then turned right around and came to work...now scarfing down some smokin in style barbecue for dinner.  I did not eat anything on the trip.  I was starving.

Jlynne:  I have a saying posted on my bulletin board at work:  "Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened."  It is how I feel every.single.day

Trails Rock!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Good articled, Tramps--thanks for the link.

I wish I had seen those snap circuits before.  I would have bought one for my grandson--his birthday was last Friday...dang-it.

I got into work early so I could leave early to get home and get my run in before our Ash Wednesday church service.  I did 10 miles with the middle 7 miles at tempo pace.  I am working way too hard to maintain my pace...I almost gave up but, somehow, got it done.  Next week it moves up to 8 miles...I think I might die.

Okay--gotta go wipe this smudge off my forehead and get to bed.  See ya!

C-R

Hey All.,

Eighth state on this business road trip. Ugh. Did get to run at Umstead. I'll post some pics tonight or tomorrow. Beautiful and glad I took the time. That was 6.2 peaceful but challenging miles.

Last set of meetings and back home. Yay.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/