Masters Running

Green Bay Cellcom Marathon (Read 475 times)

Slo

Cellcom Green Bay Marathon

The Nitty Gritty

3:40:25

66/171 Age Group

425/1790 Over All

Avg Pace Splits

Thru

5 Miles 8:29

10 Miles           8:18

Half                  8:13

15 miles            8:13

20 Miles           8:13

Finish               8:24

No Pressure

I really enjoyed training for this marathon…..Primarily because I wasn’t training for a marathon. Back in January I was still nursing a stress fracture. Following a plan that had me run 5 mins, walk 5mins….a spring marathon really seemed out of the question. It didn’t take long to go from 20 mpw, to 40 to 60 mpw. Weekend schedules were co-operating and long runs we’re being logged. Because I wasn’t committed to the marathon I never felt the frustration of missing a run or a key workout….I didn’t miss any…..but if I had, then, well, No Big Deal.

About 6 weeks out I switched my registration from the Half to the Full.

Green Bay WI

It just wouldn’t be right not to comment on this town. With a population of just over 100,000 made up largely of hard working, blue collar, middle class families it’s far from the bustling metropolis’s that are normally the homes to NFL teams. This population takes great pride in their city, their personal property and of course….the greatest team in NFL History….The Green Bay Packers. The neighborhoods are non-descript, clean and well maintained. The edges of the city are lined with small manufacturing plants and right thru the center runs the Fox River….lined with bike paths, outdoor cafes and pubs. Simple mid-west living.

Pre-Race

Jlynne and I had loosely made arrangements to meet in front of Lambeau Field by the bronze statues of Vince Lombardi and Curly Lambeau. A very crowded area. I arrived shortly after 6 and hung around until my bladder made its existence very well known. I exited for the porta potties where I found lines that easily stretched the length of a football field…or so it seemed. By the time I got to within field goal range I heard our National Anthem. After the Anthem finished I broke the potty line and headed for the start line.

Race

I was able to jump in the starting line-up about 75 yds back from the timing mat. I could see the pacer signs way up ahead. I’m not accustomed to large races (7000) but knew to expect a walk, jog, walk, stop, walk type start at least to the mat. BTW, did I mention my bladder was screaming?

Once we hit the mat it was still very slow going. Somewhere around 2 miles I spotted a line of blue huts….I broke out of formation and waited for about 30 secs for one to become available. Relief.

I trained extensively at an 8:00 pace. For what ever reason this pace seemed somewhat labored today so I settled in right around 8:11 – 8:12. This is pretty much what I did over the next 20 miles. My mantra was “20 and Strong”. Constantly passing, constantly improving my position. I caught the 4:00 pacers, the 3:50’s, the 3:45’s and eventually caught up to the 3:40’s.

Mile 21.5….This is where my DW and DD’s are waiting. They are on an overpass that I will be crossing and I can see them about 1/3rd of a mile away. I give them a big arm over the head wave. They spot me right away and wave back. I haven’t done many marathons but that’s the best I ever felt at mile 21.

From mile 22 on I walked thru the water stations. Between miles 25 and 26 I walked with a guy who had bonked and supported him by his arm until a volunteer took him. If my un-spoken, un-acknowledge goal of a BQ time planted there by Jlynne was with in reach I think I could have put up a pretty good mental fight. At this point I knew I had Pr’d, 3:30 was out of reach. I pretty much coasted in. Coasting relative to just having run 25 plus miles that is……it’s not like it’s effortless.

After Race

Ok, my marathon experience is limited. But I was pleasantly surprised to find they had Ice Cold Chocolate Milk after the race….screw the beer…at least for just a little bit….give me that Ice Cold Milk Chug ! Then I had beer, ate some brats enjoyed an awesome throwback 80’s rock / metal band and caught the shuttle back to the hotel.

Thanks for reading. I had fun writing it.

Tramps

Nice job, Steve. That's quite a comeback from a stress fracture.  Feeling strong at the end is priceless.

New sig line for you:

"All I want to do is drink beer chocolate milk and train like an animal"

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo, I feel so bad you didn't get your qualifier this time out. I hope I didn't jinx you. I feel even worse about not being able to spot your red hat by the Lombardi statue. I was really looking forward to meeting you. Of course, this means you'll  have to come back again next year.

You ran well, especially after your stress fracture earlier in the season. I see great things in your future.

BTW - I addressed the porta-potty problem when I filled out my on-line survey. Hope you did the same. I also mentioned that I thought a wave start would help with the marathoners going off first. To have walkers in among hardcore runners is just wrong, and someone is going to get hurt. Glad you had a good time, and congratulations on a great race!

Good job--can't wait to see what you do when you really train for one!

Masters 2000 miles
          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sounds like you had a little fun running it, too.  Congratulations on a great race and you have something to look forward to next year.  it would be pretty neat to run into "the Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field"

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

That sounded like a great post stress fracture race.  And the whole idea of training without the stress of goals is cool.  Sorry about your bladder.  At least you didn't have too wait long.  My experience is the first set of blue boxes on course have line-ups pretty long.

Really nice of you to help that dude.

Start planning the next one.....you will rock it.  And tell the wife to bring a cooler full of chocky milk - you could sell them and make a killing.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Very, very nice Slo.  Of course, now you've proven you need to change your handle/name, 'cause you are certainly not "slow".

That's really a good way to train for any marathon.  Set your plans, run them if you can, don't get anxious if you can't, and it all works out.  You're going to rock the next one bigtime.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wooohooo!!  nice job Slo!!  You have made an amazing comeback from your stress fracture and running a pressure free marathon at those paces is amazing!!  great job and so glad your dw and dds were there to support you!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Excellent racing, Slo!  As for the chocolate milk, the only race that I was in that had that, it was warm, and that kind of weirds me out, so I didn't drink it, but I was bummed because it really looked good....Brats, though, I could really use a good brat after a marathon....none of that bagel nonsense.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great job, Slo.  You sure did well and it sounded like you enjoyed yourself.  Congratulations.

TomS

Slo, when you mentioned a marathon about a month ago, I though to myself: Doesn't he still have a stress fracture?

Seems like yesterday.

I am all for stress-free marathon training (it excuses a monumental lack of discipline/ambition on my part), and it seems like you did the smart thing: 8 m/m seemed hard, so you went easier. And look what happened: mile 21, and you're waving at the family, feeling good. You ran a smart race, and seem to be recovering nicely.

Given the miles you put in, I'm sure that you've got a sub- 3:30 in you, easily. If I were to offer any advice, it would be to think "outside the blue" when lining up for a pre-race porta-potty. And to stop rooting for the Green Bay Packers.

Walt.

Slo

Thanks to all.

I really appreciate and value your input and encouragement.

I learned alot from this marathon.....the biggest item being the importance of pacing at the beginning. Anybody can run strong early.

Walt.......I was thinking outside the blue box. To use the grounds at Lambeau...well, that would just be sacrilegious.

SteveP

Well done on a very strong race. Your RR shows the pay off of hard training and determination

SteveP

Good job, Slo! That finish-line chocolate milk even sounds good to me right here, right now.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"